Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Swatches - Lets talk about that...

SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
edited May 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Sometimes I wonder why every pack and every collection in the game has their own swatches and patterns. If EA has whole patterns and swatches from base game, previous games and now, CC creators, why they can not just use the same, basic palette for every item? Some swatches can be exclusive for specific pack, but the basic swatches should be the same. Look for added furnitures made by Peacemaker and HeyHarrie. Their furnitures match for every style. Why? Because that items have a lot of different swatches!

Peacemaker_ic on his blog, has "ready-to-use" patterns I assume that EA has something similar:

tumblr_nw18vj27fd1s4yxajo2_r1_1280.png

tumblr_o42893vvUq1s4yxajo2_r1_1280.png

tumblr_p5ruq1v38J1s4yxajo1_1280.png

tumblr_p5s12hN63y1s4yxajo1_1280.png

tumblr_pjt8slFK8U1s4yxajo1_1280.png

tumblr_pjt8tfskep1s4yxajo1_1280.png

tumblr_pjt8zojWx21s4yxajo1_1280.png

tumblr_pjt8uvm2IH1s4yxajo1_1280.png

tumblr_pjt8w6BGgk1s4yxajo1_1280.png

https://peacemaker-ic.tumblr.com/TS4ObjectDownloads

For me, wood swatches 1 and contemporary swatches should be the base.

EA should focus more for sectional and customable items over the number of objects. For example, sectional simple sofa with 30+swatches instead of tones of weird couches and armchairs.

tumblr_pxt9hcLN3B1s4yxajo1_1280.png

Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    I really like your idea in principle, I've always thought something like this would have been a good idea from the start, particularly when they took out the colour wheel, but I very much doubt they would adopt this practice retrospectively. I also suspect that the reason some items in the game have such few swatch options is to keep the game's digital load lighter, but maybe I'm wrong.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2021
    It would be very cool if every item had the same color options so you can mix and match based on style sometimes. Just give us more options consistently to choose from and a color wheel won’t even be necessary I don’t think.

Sidenote, I never messed with the patterns in the color wheel back in TS3.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    They should definitely have a limited number of wood swatches, and a set of metal swatches, so that different sets can be used together. I don't mind the wide variety of fabrics but matching woods drives me nuts!
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Maybe it's because in real life, unless you buy all of your furniture from the same set, at the same store, at the same time, it won't match.
    Maybe it's because in real life, no two wood grains look alike.
    Maybe it's because if everything looked identical, it would look really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 boring.

Have you ever built a house in The Sims 3 using the same texture for everything? It's the blandest bland that ever blanded.
    wJbomAo.png
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited May 2021
    It would be great if we could have that many swatches, but I think the bed frame should be separated from the bedspread snd pillows. Same with sofa’s chairs, and curtains . And then with each pack add new special swatches for all beds, sofa’s, chairs and curtains.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I just wish we had a plain black swatch for everything, not a "here's a brown that looks black but it's really just a dark brown." Same thing with a plain white swatch. They've done a little better but a lot of stuff is "here's a white but it's really a light tan." Especially frustrating with sets of items that have a good color scheme but you can't change the wood color.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited May 2021
    Well I'll have to disagree a bit because i very much hate to see modern shapeless items in my game i want more items that go in my spoopy mansions = dark color swatches and shapely antique furnitures and interesting patterns

that being said i wouldn't mind couple customizable sofas with huge swatch selection

and id surely love to have dark wood and black and also dark fabrics for everything
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited May 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Sidenote, I never messed with the patterns in the color wheel back in TS3.

and btw i used colorwheel and create a style ridiculous amounts in ts3 cause the basic colors and patterns on items were just awful but i wouldn't need them if they'd just make everything goth house furniture match in swatches
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    While I do wish that there were some uniformity for swatches, specifically: black and white for all the items in the game, things that come with patterns also to come without and v/v, the worn furniture to have a pristine counterpart swatches as well, to have a completely uniform palette across all packs that works well for all styles would be extremely difficult to do.....at best it would be too matchy-matchy and that tends to look extreme cold and not lived in to me, for me in particularly sine I play rotationally and manage many households in one save, it would inevitable make all houses look and feel the same, I'm afraid.

For me the furniture you have mentioned does not match for every style at all and that's exactly because they have a fixed stylistic color choice, it's a very specific aesthetic that doesn't branches out anywhere, no matter how many different patterns or colors it has. I'm not saying it's ugly or anything like that, it's just has a very specific brand/identity, so idk....
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I don't mind things from one pack not matching things from another pack, but I do wish they'd match stuff from the same pack!

How many times I find a missing swatch (furniture from C&D, I'm especially looking at you!) and it's so annoying.

One thing I do wish had a lot more swatches is the darn rocking chair, which literally goes with nothing.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,060 Member
    The colour wheel from The Sims 3 was the best design tool in the game. I could replicate colours from pictures of rooms in houses by using the eye dropper and then punching in the RGB numbers so my rooms looked accurate as possible.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »
    The colour wheel from The Sims 3 was the best design tool in the game. I could replicate colours from pictures of rooms in houses by using the eye dropper and then punching in the RGB numbers so my rooms looked accurate as possible.

I did this too!

And just because things match doesn't mean they have to match exactly. I looked up trending color palettes too, or made someone's shirt the color of their eyes, then made it just a bit darker or a bit less vivid to set things off.

Feel free to ignore the next paragraph:
    I realize we're not getting a color wheel for Sims 4, but I agree that if furniture had a same-white, same-black, same-lightwood and same-darkwood, that would be a start. I want to use furniture from different collections, but something needs to be similar for unity. In real life, my bookcases and tv stand are not exactly the same color, but they have the same undertone, and they look good together. The bookcases are large and simple, and impressive for that reason, but the tv stand is more visually interesting. They work together, and most of the furniture in the Sims 4 does not, so I have to use the same things together over and over. They give us more objects, but they aren't versatile because nothing matches. It drives me batty! Here's a cookie for reading this, thanks.

TL/DR: It would be easier to mix and match if different styles came in similar colors. I'd love a small base palette, please.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    And here I was, thinking it was about wrist watches. xD
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I agree with using the same swatches when it comes to wood tones. There's so many wooden furniture items in the game, and it's annoying when you find a style that you like, but none of the swatches match. Sometimes, even items from the same pack that supposedly are the same swatch don't actually match.

In addition, it would also be nice if the developers could update the swatches for base game stuff now and then. For example, I love the BlandCo counters because of the modern and simple design, but I hate the lack of swatches. A full black and full white swatch is a must, and I'd also love to see wood textured counter tops and more funky colours. If we're not going to get more kitchen counters with packs, then they could at least update the swatches of existing ones.

cicLg2s.jpg
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! FYI: I moved this thread to the Game Feedback section. :)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    I wish the Sims 4 would have lots of color swatches for hair, clothing & objects. Oh well. :'(
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    I don't understand why they didn't go TS2 route where you had some more control over swatches. You could choose things like the bed frame color and sheet/pillow colors separately.
  • MikkiMikkiMikkiMMikkiMikkiMikkiM Posts: 213 Member
    I think it makes sense to have a certainnset of base colors that all similar items come in, in every pack. Because right now, for example, everything comes in white, but they're all different shades of white, and it's so annoying. I don't need all wood to have the same texture, but sometimes it's almost impossible to match some things, or find like one small accessory that matches, because those base colors aren't the same. It's been a peeve of mine since I started playing. I mean, try matching windows and doors; I always tend up using the same ones because they go well together 🤷