Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Constraints when building your own dorm?

LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 2
Hi all,

I usually like to build my own dorms for university, modeled off of dorms I have seen and stayed in throughout my life. Always thought the maxis ones were a little too... interesting.

I was planning to build a slightly larger dorm with suite-style bathrooms for my upperclassmen sims, but the sims wiki states that this is not possible. I built a test dorm with suite bathrooms, and I didn't see any issues?

I was wondering if anyone has built and/or played dorms in this style, and if there are routing or townie issues that pop up after playing for a while.

Comments

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    It is possible , but the game will consider the room where the dorm door is, as the dorm room. any other rooms after that, like bathrooms, are not considered as part of the dorm room :) So in live mode, if a dormie takes one of these rooms with it's own bathroom, the bathroom's furniture does not fade away or like that :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    It is possible , but the game will consider the room where the dorm door is, as the dorm room. any other rooms after that, like bathrooms, are not considered as part of the dorm room :) So in live mode, if a dormie takes one of these rooms with it's own bathroom, the bathroom's furniture does not fade away or like that :)

ah okay. I don't think I'd have a problem with that? Esp since the idea is that my sim would also want access to the bathroom. I'd be more concerned if the opposite were true, where my sim wouldn't have access to their bathroom because their neighbor claimed it.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    You can have dorms like apartments, just that only the room where the dorm door is can be claimed. sims can still use the other rooms, but those do not count as claimed :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Dorms don't have to have public stalls and public showers. So, though the dormie can't claim the bathroom, you could build one in between two dorm rooms (entrance door in the hallway) and they may use it more. As if it belonged to those two dorm rooms. However, due to routing, I would guess the Sim would come out of their dorm room and go down a hall rather than make a left or right to use the bathroom right beside their rooms. There is a cheat you can turn on to test which path a Sim will take when directed to do something, then use that as a marker of where to place one toilet, shower, sink bathroom so you would know how to build it next time.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.