Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 sounding worse everyday 😑 UPDATE 7/24/21

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    2011simone wrote: »
    Online gaming is a big thing so it is understandable that they are thinking about heading in this direction.......

Whilst they may loose some current sims players, they also stand to gain many who may be drawn in by online game play, they have to keep up with what is current.
    There were all these fears before the sims 4 that it would be online but it wasn't, maybe lets wait and see what happens.
    I personally think it would be good for the sims franchise to go down a different path as going through the same similar gameplay and expansions with every release starts to get a little tedious when you have been with the franchise from the beginning!
    I personally have not played the sims 4 that much for this reason, so i feel it is time for something new.
    Those who want to stick to how things are still have the option to continue with the sims 4

EA already has The Sims Mobile and The Sims Freeplay to scratch that itch. Why would they need for the next main The Sims game to be an online multiplayer game? You say that they may lose some current sims players? More like most of them as can be seen from the various threads asking us about how we feel about it. Plus another big giveaway that it won't do well is that FreeSO and the multiplayer mod for TS4 is only drawing a very small number of simmers to them out of the huge fanbase.

It's sad that EA/Maxis is ignoring all the signs that online multiplayer won't do well. It's good for the competition though!

• eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Ljutsifer wrote: »
    I hate how everyone is hating on it. Like what about the other side where people DO want it??? Do we not exist in your eyes??

All the sims games are single player. So if they do come out with multiplayer for sims 5, its not affecting you in any way. You can still play sims 4 and the others. I doubt they'll make it JUST online. They'll have an option to turn that off. They might just call it Sims Online and continue to make the sims franchise as normal Sims 5, Sims 6 and so on.

People have become so ignorant nowadays.

I've wanted sims to be online since I was little, I've played sims my whole life. On the DS and on my PC. So after all these years, why don't I deserve to have sims online as well as others?

Again. Its not affecting you in any way in terms of playing by yourself. Just like you can disable playing fifa online and all the other games and just have AI's. The same option will be there.

There was a The Sims Online that started in 2002 and ended 2008. It was subscription based and had a marketplace pretty much like what EA wants to do now. It failed because not enough of the fanbase was interested in it and it was ran pretty badly itself where the game was pretty "lawless" with lots of "adult" things going on and no child protections in place.

The wiki article also listed all the other attempts by EA/Maxis to introduce online multiplayer into separate The Sims spin-offs which all met failure and closures soon after as well.

If you wanted sims to be online right now, you don't have to wait. You can play a free version of The Sims Online called FreeSO or play TS4 with an online multiplayer mod (which is free for LAN play, but is a subscription for internet play).

But anyway, if EA would bother checking FreeSO and/or the TS4 mod, they would realize that only a very small fraction of the fanbase are even remotely interested in these. This should tell EA something, along with the failure of their other online The Sims projects.

I can't believe they charged monthly for TSO. So many free-to-play MMO's at that time it's no wonder it failed.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Online gaming is a big thing so it is understandable that they are thinking about heading in this direction.......

Whilst they may loose some current sims players, they also stand to gain many who may be drawn in by online game play, they have to keep up with what is current.
    There were all these fears before the sims 4 that it would be online but it wasn't, maybe lets wait and see what happens.
    I personally think it would be good for the sims franchise to go down a different path as going through the same similar gameplay and expansions with every release starts to get a little tedious when you have been with the franchise from the beginning!
    I personally have not played the sims 4 that much for this reason, so i feel it is time for something new.
    Those who want to stick to how things are still have the option to continue with the sims 4

EA already has The Sims Mobile and The Sims Freeplay to scratch that itch. Why would they need for the next main The Sims game to be an online multiplayer game? You say that they may lose some current sims players? More like most of them as can be seen from the various threads asking us about how we feel about it. Plus another big giveaway that it won't do well is that FreeSO and the multiplayer mod for TS4 is only drawing a very small number of simmers to them out of the huge fanbase.

It's sad that EA/Maxis is ignoring all the signs that online multiplayer won't do well. It's good for the competition though!

Yeah, if the sims5 will be online focused then sure, they could be bringing in people that play games like Fortnite and Roblox, but they are trading that away from people who want to play classic sims games. And if the online route will not work out from them, then there will not be any traditional sims players left.

So I think they would just end up trading one community for another. Or risk losing them both.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Ljutsifer wrote: »
    I hate how everyone is hating on it. Like what about the other side where people DO want it??? Do we not exist in your eyes??

All the sims games are single player. So if they do come out with multiplayer for sims 5, its not affecting you in any way. You can still play sims 4 and the others. I doubt they'll make it JUST online. They'll have an option to turn that off. They might just call it Sims Online and continue to make the sims franchise as normal Sims 5, Sims 6 and so on.

People have become so ignorant nowadays.

I've wanted sims to be online since I was little, I've played sims my whole life. On the DS and on my PC. So after all these years, why don't I deserve to have sims online as well as others?

Again. Its not affecting you in any way in terms of playing by yourself. Just like you can disable playing fifa online and all the other games and just have AI's. The same option will be there.

There was a The Sims Online that started in 2002 and ended 2008. It was subscription based and had a marketplace pretty much like what EA wants to do now. It failed because not enough of the fanbase was interested in it and it was ran pretty badly itself where the game was pretty "lawless" with lots of "adult" things going on and no child protections in place.

The wiki article also listed all the other attempts by EA/Maxis to introduce online multiplayer into separate The Sims spin-offs which all met failure and closures soon after as well.

If you wanted sims to be online right now, you don't have to wait. You can play a free version of The Sims Online called FreeSO or play TS4 with an online multiplayer mod (which is free for LAN play, but is a subscription for internet play).

But anyway, if EA would bother checking FreeSO and/or the TS4 mod, they would realize that only a very small fraction of the fanbase are even remotely interested in these. This should tell EA something, along with the failure of their other online The Sims projects.

I can't believe they charged monthly for TSO. So many free-to-play MMO's at that time it's no wonder it failed.

It failed for a lot more reasons than that. Being a pizza making simulator with real estate monopolies didn't exactly help its popularity.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    The Sims 5 looks like it's going to be a Roblox/ Second Life clone at this point.

EA desperately wants everyone of their games to become Online/ Multiplayer. They already have FIFA and Battlefield, now they want the Sims to be online as well. I found a bunch of articles written by Laura Miele, and most of them were about gamers "socializing" and "interacting" through games. They want us to have social connections while gaming.
    I also noticed in this article that she talks fondly about the Sims Online, despite what a commercial flop it was.

What they don't seem to understand is that most Simmers don't want to socialize with other Simmers. The Sims has always been a solo experience. If I want to socialize with other simmers, I'll get online and chat on the game's forums. I have no interest in playing with other Simmers.

Sims 5 doesn't look like something I'll want to play. It will most likely going to be story-based, competitive, subscription-based and online/ multiplayer. There won't be any mods or CC.

I'm only looking forward to Paralives at this point, the Sims 5 looks to be an entirely different game, nothing like what the Sims was originally supposed to be.

THIIISSSSSSS

I don't like MMOs, I hate competitive multiplayer. I just want to chill out and relax in a game, minding my own dam business.

Not to mention, to be perfectly frank, I don't really like a lot of other Simmers. I can count the number of people I've met through TS4 that I actively get along with on one hand. He'll, the only Game Changer I can even stand is Plumbella, the rest feel too fake to me.

If I get TS5 (which is a big if considering what I've learned about its development), I guarantee I'll mostly be off in my own corner of the world, not interacting with people.
    wJbomAo.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    mingusssss wrote: »
    people can be absolutely terrible in that setting, especially to women and non-white ppl.

... when the majority of the players are men :p

But here, women rule The Sims.
    Not all women, just older women now. Sims stopped making games for all women equally once the Sims 4 came out. Such a bad example for women for a game actually.

what do you mean ? Such a bad example for women for a game
    There are other EA games like Apex that make women of all types and the EA game It Takes Two represents women better as well which is why it is nice watching Gurus play those games. Sims well it is very targeted towards extremely stereotypical traditional feminine and even SimGuruLyndsay said that they have done a great job with the Sims 4 with representation.

Then again the original Gurus did compare it to the Kim Kardasian mobile game too with this interview, so I guess shallow female representation is what they were going for:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/849686/lucy-bradshaw-amp-rachel-franklin-talking-about-sims-4

to be fair sims are not allowed to shoot people @Scobre
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    logion wrote: »

Yeah, if the sims5 will be online focused then sure, they could be bringing in people that play games like Fortnite and Roblox, but they are trading that away from people who want to play classic sims games. And if the online route will not work out from them, then there will not be any traditional sims players left.

So I think they would just end up trading one community for another. Or risk losing them both.

I don't think it will draw in the Fortnite crowd - it's largely an action shooter game. It has a Fortnite Creative mode where players can build up islands, but they're often used in actual battles in the other two modes that Fortnite has (Save the World and Battle Royale). So Fortnite's fanbase won't be drawn to a life simulator at all.

Roblox is a very flexible game - you can create any genre of game with it, unlike The Sims that only focuses on life simulation. So The Sims isn't going to draw that crowd either.

Why doesn't EA just create a totally new online multiplayer IP specifically to draw in the Fortnite and Roblox crowd instead and leave The Sims alone to be singleplayer and cater to the fanbase it already has???

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited May 2021
    people can be absolutely terrible in that setting, especially to women and non-white ppl.

Not all women, just older women now. Sims stopped making games for all women equally once the Sims 4 came out. Such a bad example for women for a game actually.

There are other EA games like Apex that make women of all types and the EA game It Takes Two represents women better as well which is why it is nice watching Gurus play those games. Sims well it is very targeted towards extremely stereotypical traditional feminine and even SimGuruLyndsay said that they have done a great job with the Sims 4 with representation.

Then again the original Gurus did compare it to the Kim Kardasian mobile game too with this interview, so I guess shallow female representation is what they were going for:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/849686/lucy-bradshaw-amp-rachel-franklin-talking-about-sims-4

to be fair sims are not allowed to shoot people @Scobre

@Scobre "It Takes Two" only came out this April so it bodes well for any new additions to Sims 4 or new iterations.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2021

I agree, even TS4 players who don't like TS3 or no longer play TS2 don't even want multiplayer. They are going to lose more than just the older (longer) players of this franchise if they go this route. They are also going to lose most of TS4 players who like single player. ETA: That's probably why they want to draw people in with the hope of getting paid for a custom lot, or cc, or something to sell on a market place. A fifteen minute fame promise. People might fall for that, but really it's more like get paid to play.....what does that say about any game. Promises of fame and fortune if you play the game and make something to 'sell'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    It's possible that this multiplayer version will be a standalone game like the life stories and medieval was. I only say this because they are working on "fixing" TS4 and they wouldn't be doing this if they weren't planning on TS4 being the dominant game for many more years. What makes me think this way is that they're doing things like updating the traits, updating skintones, looking into adding more features, changing the UI, I heard something about an attraction system. These aren't things you do when the game is on the way out. Those are things you do to attract more players and make more money.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    the best advice i can give right now is that we wait and see and keep watch for new info and e3 of this year to see if they will annonce sims5 and what it will be pretty sure you will agree with this @Mstybl95 and @Cinebar
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(

okay I looked in to the it takes two game you were talking about you can make a blue haired sim in a bad marriage that she stayed in for the sake of the child if you want @Scobre to be honest I'm not sure how thats not traditional feminine stuff
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I feel like usually, these types of threads have a mix of reactions, but in this case it seems like almost everyone agrees that they don't want the online multi-user experiences. I certainly hope there is at least an option to play offline/solo. Agreed with other comments here that games like Animal Crossing etc really open you up to negativity from the world at large.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021

okay I looked in to the it takes two game you were talking about you can make a blue haired sim in a bad marriage that she stayed in for the sake of the child if you want @Scobre to be honest I'm not sure how thats not traditional feminine stuff
    The little girl the activities she plays aren't just like playing with dolls. She has a nice well rounded set of hobbies and skills which I like a lot. So it was very nice watching the Gurus play that game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2021
    The motto EA/Maxis had "Challenge Everything" is over as they took an lot of creativity options away with Sims 4 and it may continue with Sims 5 as they may cut features in Sims 5 as well but EA/Maxis has it's supporters that support everything.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

The little girl the activities she plays aren't just like playing with dolls. She has a nice well rounded set of hobbies and skills which I like a lot. So it was very nice watching the Gurus play that game.

oh hobbies well I mean they can always add more hobbies @Scobre :)
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    The Sims 5 looks like it's going to be a Roblox/ Second Life clone at this point.

EA desperately wants everyone of their games to become Online/ Multiplayer. They already have FIFA and Battlefield, now they want the Sims to be online as well. I found a bunch of articles written by Laura Miele, and most of them were about gamers "socializing" and "interacting" through games. They want us to have social connections while gaming.
    I also noticed in this article that she talks fondly about the Sims Online, despite what a commercial flop it was.

What they don't seem to understand is that most Simmers don't want to socialize with other Simmers. The Sims has always been a solo experience. If I want to socialize with other simmers, I'll get online and chat on the game's forums. I have no interest in playing with other Simmers.

Sims 5 doesn't look like something I'll want to play. It will most likely going to be story-based, competitive, subscription-based and online/ multiplayer. There won't be any mods or CC.

I'm only looking forward to Paralives at this point, the Sims 5 looks to be an entirely different game, nothing like what the Sims was originally supposed to be.

Well, you definitely don't want to have to depend on other players for a good gaming experience. So if that's the direction EA is going in with Sims 5, they can count me out. As far as Paralives go, it has a bit of a way to go, but it will be interesting to see the final results.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Honestly No matter how I hate Ubisoft for releasing buggy games and filling a Single Player Games with MTX, atleast they do not FORCE online in their Single Player Franchises, especially if it doesn't need to or the devs don't want to. Unlike EA where it was pretty much forced.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited May 2021
    The good news, The Sims 5 should be released after 2029 or 2034.

They have plenty of time to think about how to do it well.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Can't you just imagine the burn out the devs must be feeling by now. :o At some point people finally run out of ideas and have to stop for months just like players do. Or it's like when you work too long and by the end of the day have just become slap happy and just start slopping paint all over a wall and or taking short cuts..wait....lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

people don't share that view in the comment section...
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member

I can't be the only one seeing a potential Cyberpunk styled fallout if the game fails to deliver?
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I expect the makers of Sims 5 are awaiting upgrading of the current technology available to make Sims 5 viable for universal use, especially if it is to go online as well. In the meantime we, who like Sims4 are going to benefit with lots of stuff for us.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Nice to see EA still holding strong to their mantra of "We never learn from past mistakes"

/eyeroll

Let's all laugh at an industry that never learns anything, tee hee hee.

As far as forced online goes, let's just say there's a reason I have many hours in Cities: Skylines and zero hours in SimCity 2013.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited May 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Can't you just imagine the burn out the devs must be feeling by now. :o

Don't worry about that because the team is growing, new people are joining the studio.

Catharina Lavers Mallet (USA) is VP and GM, Maxis since April 2021 (Replace Joe Nickolls)
    Phillip Ring (UK) is Executive Producer since November 2020 (Works with Lyndsay Pearson)
    Isabelle Henriques (Spain) is Studio Director & Lead Producer for Live Services - Maxis since January 2021 (Replace Michael Duke)