Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 sounding worse everyday 😑 UPDATE 7/24/21

Comments

• ghamrick75ghamrick75 Posts: 134 Member
    Agreeing with most (if not all here), if Sims 5 is multiplayer then it will be a hard pass for me.

I'll go a step further, between that and the way people act regarding Sims 4 more oft than not, Sims 5 will ruin / destroy the Sims franchise.
    Origin ID: ghamrick75
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    The Sims 5 looks like it's going to be a Roblox/ Second Life clone at this point.

EA desperately wants everyone of their games to become Online/ Multiplayer. They already have FIFA and Battlefield, now they want the Sims to be online as well. I found a bunch of articles written by Laura Miele, and most of them were about gamers "socializing" and "interacting" through games. They want us to have social connections while gaming.
    I also noticed in this article that she talks fondly about the Sims Online, despite what a commercial flop it was.

What they don't seem to understand is that most Simmers don't want to socialize with other Simmers. The Sims has always been a solo experience. If I want to socialize with other simmers, I'll get online and chat on the game's forums. I have no interest in playing with other Simmers.

Sims 5 doesn't look like something I'll want to play. It will most likely going to be story-based, competitive, subscription-based and online/ multiplayer. There won't be any mods or CC.

I'm only looking forward to Paralives at this point, the Sims 5 looks to be an entirely different game, nothing like what the Sims was originally supposed to be.

I agree with everything here. I like not being required to be social while playing LOL
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • deeman190deeman190 Posts: 99 Member
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    deeman190 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about what it means when they say "online." The game hasn't happened yet so I won't speculate.

True, nothing is fully confirmed yet, but if you read the article, there's very strong hints that they want to integrate multiplayer into the game, from the way they wrote how they're "watching players interact" and the way they talked about other interactive online experiences such as Roblox.

Like most people, I hope it isn't multiplayer only.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I wouldn't want strangers to play my households or be able to hack into my game or worse.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    mingusssss wrote: »
    people can be absolutely terrible in that setting, especially to women and non-white ppl.

... when the majority of the players are men :p

But here, women rule The Sims.
    Not all women, just older women now. Sims stopped making games for all women equally once the Sims 4 came out. Such a bad example for women for a game actually.

what do you mean ? Such a bad example for women for a game
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Yep, it's always the bigwigs and higher-ups at EA that have no clue who their audience is.

I'm fairly certain that many of those said higher-ups, probably know nothing about the games they publish, let alone play them.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I wouldn't want strangers to play my households or be able to hack into my game or worse.

Right...all I can think of is like in Minecraft where even your friends can come in and blow everything up or put lava everywhere. You don't know how often I have crying kids because a "friend" of theirs ruined a world they worked on for over a year.

Or if it's like Roblox and all those mini-games. They suck. There's only one Roblox game I can tolerate and it's Tower Battles. The rest are horrible, unfun, repetitive clicky, and have no substance. I truly hope this isn't what they have in mind for the sims, especially since simulation and MMO/MMORPG are not the same genre and can never be.

What I envision is a subscription system where everyone gets every update and DLC via the subscription, that way everyone can play together. They will host servers so you can play with just friends or strangers, too. Mods will be limited to their in-game store. CC will be sold via their store and they will take a cut and probably require modders to pay a fee to get their items in the store. The world will be similar to TS4 where we can't make changes to the land, terrain, add/remove lots, change the name of the town, etc. Everything must stay the same so it won't interfere with others joining.

There are currently 50K players online right now. If they charge $5 or $10 per subscription, they are looking at $250K or $500K per month and higher since this is off-peak time. If there are over a million players, that could be $5M or $10M per month for the game. Add on mods and CC...that's a lot of money. In their current model, they have to wait for revenue until the DLC is complete and sold. It's so much better with a subscription.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Right...all I can think of is like in Minecraft where even your friends can come in and blow everything up or put lava everywhere. You don't know how often I have crying kids because a "friend" of theirs ruined a world they worked on for over a year.

Or if it's like Roblox and all those mini-games. They suck. There's only one Roblox game I can tolerate and it's Tower Battles. The rest are horrible, unfun, repetitive clicky, and have no substance. I truly hope this isn't what they have in mind for the sims, especially since simulation and MMO/MMORPG are not the same genre and can never be.

What I envision is a subscription system where everyone gets every update and DLC via the subscription, that way everyone can play together. They will host servers so you can play with just friends or strangers, too. Mods will be limited to their in-game store. CC will be sold via their store and they will take a cut and probably require modders to pay a fee to get their items in the store. The world will be similar to TS4 where we can't make changes to the land, terrain, add/remove lots, change the name of the town, etc. Everything must stay the same so it won't interfere with others joining.

There are currently 50K players online right now. If they charge $5 or $10 per subscription, they are looking at $250K or $500K per month and higher since this is off-peak time. If there are over a million players, that could be $5M or $10M per month for the game. Add on mods and CC...that's a lot of money. In their current model, they have to wait for revenue until the DLC is complete and sold. It's so much better with a subscription.

Honestly this is exactly why they want to do a model similar to what you described. All these other games are taking the bank home while simmers are complaining about a 5$ kit🤣🤣

I still don't think this will work well with sims but maybe they are trying to attract that roblox, second life crowd. Not us simmers but people who are willing to pay subscription or whatever they have in mind.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2021

Honestly this is exactly why they want to do a model similar to what you described. All these other games are taking the bank home while simmers are complaining about a 5$ kit🤣🤣

I still don't think this will work well with sims but maybe they are trying to attract that roblox, second life crowd. Not us simmers but people who are willing to pay subscription or whatever they have in mind.

@Babykittyjade 5$ for a kit for a game that has 10 million active players. Think about it. If only 1 our of 10 people buy the kit they will still make 1 million dollars.

Also keep in mind the Sims 4 is not a game that gets huge weekly updates or has tons of running servers. The Sims 4 is a single-player game and every time they make a pack they make more and more money without putting nearly the amount of effort some of the developers of online games need to put in moderation, running the servers, improving the game etc.
    You cannot compare pears and apples. These people aren't making more money than EA believe me. For the amount of content the Sims team releases, they can earn 1 million dollars from a 5$ kit that was super easy to make, has almost no new content and is an one-time job to develop. The Sims team is making serious money and they don't even fix enough bugs so you can't argue they are spending money in that department.

So 5$ might seem like a small amount to you but to the company it's a lot of money for not much work put.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited May 2021

@Babykittyjade 5$ for a kit for a game that has 10 million active players. Think about it. If only 1 our of 10 people buy the kit they will still make 1 million dollars.

Also keep in mind the Sims 4 is not a game that gets huge weekly updates or has tons of running servers. The Sims 4 is a single-player game and every time they make a pack they make more and more money without putting nearly the amount of effort some of the developers of online games need to put in moderation, running the servers, improving the game etc.
    You cannot compare pears and apples. These people aren't making more money than EA believe me. For the amount of content the Sims team releases, they can earn 1 million dollars from a 5$ kit that was super easy to make, has almost no new content and is an one-time job to develop. The Sims team is making serious money and they don't even fix enough bugs so you can't argue they are spending money in that department.

So 5$ might seem like a small amount to you but to the company it's a lot of money for not much work put.

It's not really that much, though. They're losing out on a lot of money by not having us all subscribe to the game. Sure they have server costs, but they can still keep their update schedule. They already update once per month so they're already acting like this is run on a subscription. They don't have to add new features but once or twice a year and then add piecemeal items in-between...and modders can do that and EA will still profit.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    edited May 2021
    Ugh. If Sims 5 is multiplayer only, it's a definite jumping off point for me (as opposed to just a probable one). I may consider it if there are options to play single player - I've got quite a few games that are designed more for MP but still have SP option. But if I see a game that is MMO/MP only, I skip it. That style of play is great for some, but it's entirely not for me.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2021

It's not really that much, though. They're losing out on a lot of money by not having us all subscribe to the game. Sure they have server costs, but they can still keep their update schedule. They already update once per month so they're already acting like this is run on a subscription. They don't have to add new features but once or twice a year and then add piecemeal items in-between...and modders can do that and EA will still profit.

@Mstybl95 They don't do big updates like a lot of online games. The new features come rarely and are very small. MMOs can include so much new stuff in one update it's almost like a new game. The Sims 4 doesn't do a lot with updates.

Also keep in mind, a lot of these MMO games mentioned are free. The Sims 4 is a game that cost 60$ at launch and even though it can be found cheap now, its normal price is still around 35$ 6 years later. When you play free to play MMOs you aren't paying a price for the base so they make money only from the subscriptions. And most people don't even subscribe and play with only the free stuff.

MMOs and Single-player games are completely different products not meant to be compared in such ways.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member

I have only one thing to say about no mods, or mods limited to some sort of official TS5 store:

No mods = no fixes from community members = broken game that never gets sufficiently un-broken to play without intense frustration. Even if the whole thing were offline and single player, I have zero interest in a Maxis/EA game that makes community fixes a nightmare, or worse, impossible.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    From everything I have read so far it's definitely not for me but what is even sadder is the sims as we know and love it will be gone forever :'(
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    From everything I have read so far it's definitely not for me but what is even sadder is the sims as we know and love it will be gone forever :'(

on this i totaly agree 1000% @SPARKY1922
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • LjutsiferLjutsifer Posts: 1 New Member
    I hate how everyone is hating on it. Like what about the other side where people DO want it??? Do we not exist in your eyes??

All the sims games are single player. So if they do come out with multiplayer for sims 5, its not affecting you in any way. You can still play sims 4 and the others. I doubt they'll make it JUST online. They'll have an option to turn that off. They might just call it Sims Online and continue to make the sims franchise as normal Sims 5, Sims 6 and so on.

People have become so ignorant nowadays.

I've wanted sims to be online since I was little, I've played sims my whole life. On the DS and on my PC. So after all these years, why don't I deserve to have sims online as well as others?

Again. Its not affecting you in any way in terms of playing by yourself. Just like you can disable playing fifa online and all the other games and just have AI's. The same option will be there.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021
    logion wrote: »
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    marissim wrote: »
    I don't see how a multiplayer The Sims game would work. Unless they give us events with specific objectives we all have to complete together, I can only see the game going this way: Tries to greet, player 2 walks away.
    Tries to flirt, player 2 deletes interaction and walks away.
    Tries to say a joke, player 2 deletes interaction and chooses a mean interaction as a response.
    It just wouldn't work, because we would all be there accepting things others are trying to do with/to us, or attempting to interact with others, and no one would like it, so we'd all end up standing still deleting interactions & doing our own thing.

I played S4MP, a Sim 4 multiplayer mod with my sister, we both controlled the same household (and it's at its most fun if we voice chat with each other too). We have a specific group of Sims we control (like if it's an 8 member household, we control 4 Sims each), we collab on creating those Sims and their traits, we collab on building the lot (though they aren't simultaneously sadly, we have to take turns making Sims and constructing the lot), and we give them specific roles. Sometimes we have "real" conversations with our household members even: one of us asks about day, other responds with giving repair tips, etc, and we have a set personality for each Sim, we pick actions that would be in-character for them. Sometimes we make Sims join activities if I see my sister sent one of the Sims playing video games or watching TV, sometimes I make my Sims mentor her Sims and vice versa. Sometimes my Sims have negative moods and my sister uses her Sims to cheer them up. And I'm sure we would absolutely love RPing with each other if we were that type of Sim player.

It absolutely can work if you participate with people you are very close to. My sister and I are a very close pair and we love playing S4MP together.

DrGluon and James Turner played that mod and recorded a couple of videos of it, I thought it looked okay but I thought it looked very limited, only one could build, if you travel you had to bring both sims etc. Which is what I am worried about when it comes to them making the sims5 multiplayer, we will never see Create a Style or Create a World because that will be too demanding for an online game.
    Yeah that mod turns on the original Sims Olympus files. Why I think it would be easier just to have an option to turn those files on rather than attempt it again with the Sims 5. I do agree it is kind of dull to watch. I've seen them play it together too. Great entertainers, but the game itself in online felt super boring while watching it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021
    Scobre wrote: »
    mingusssss wrote: »
    people can be absolutely terrible in that setting, especially to women and non-white ppl.

... when the majority of the players are men :p

But here, women rule The Sims.
    Not all women, just older women now. Sims stopped making games for all women equally once the Sims 4 came out. Such a bad example for women for a game actually.

what do you mean ? Such a bad example for women for a game
    There are other EA games like Apex that make women of all types and the EA game It Takes Two represents women better as well which is why it is nice watching Gurus play those games. Sims well it is very targeted towards extremely stereotypical traditional feminine and even SimGuruLyndsay said that they have done a great job with the Sims 4 with representation.

Then again the original Gurus did compare it to the Kim Kardasian mobile game too with this interview, so I guess shallow female representation is what they were going for:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/849686/lucy-bradshaw-amp-rachel-franklin-talking-about-sims-4
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Ljutsifer wrote: »
    I hate how everyone is hating on it. Like what about the other side where people DO want it??? Do we not exist in your eyes??

All the sims games are single player. So if they do come out with multiplayer for sims 5, its not affecting you in any way. You can still play sims 4 and the others. I doubt they'll make it JUST online. They'll have an option to turn that off. They might just call it Sims Online and continue to make the sims franchise as normal Sims 5, Sims 6 and so on.

I've wanted sims to be online since I was little, I've played sims my whole life. On the DS and on my PC. So after all these years, why don't I deserve to have sims online as well as others?

Again. Its not affecting you in any way in terms of playing by yourself. Just like you can disable playing fifa online and all the other games and just have AI's. The same option will be there.

Hello! Welcome to the Sims forums, and you're absolutely allowed to want multiplayer. It's great to have different views on the subject than the consensus, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

However, my critique of how multiplayer may be handled isn't at the expense at people such as yourself who would be interested in such a feature; I myself even expressed desire to play with friends online and wrote down how potentially fun it could be had it been officially implemented. My biggest issue is that EA has eroded general trust on how to handle it. History shows us of a bait-and-switch approach that EA merrily partakes in. One shouldn't look any further than what happened to SimCity, a multiplayer game that had its launch period be met with a disaster thanks to its always online DRM, and their mishandling of multiple other game franchises due to its multiplayer focus (one prominent example is Battlefront II's egregious lootbox system).

I have these views because I'm a fan of The Sims 4, and I want it to go in a better direction, I want the next entry to be better, I want the next entry to have improvements that come with better hardware and better resources. It's a quality franchise that deserves care and respect, and my critiques only stem from passion, not hate. We deserve better than always online DRM, microtransactions, and loot boxes, and we shouldn't settle with being forcefed unwanted game assets that EA is happy to put into their games.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member

It's entirely up to EA but not, I expect, Maxis to make it an online game.

The numbers taking the opportunity to buy and play it will be the reason for it continuing or becoming a dud like SimCity5 and will be the deciding factor. Their last try or win with The Sims.

I'd expect spinoffs in various directions after that.

Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean your desire is invalid. Keep wanting it. It's going to be a game designed for you.

As for the rest of us...well, if it's an online game and we don't want that, what's left for us are aging games? And I'm not too keen on TS4 as it is and I would hate it if this is the game I'm stuck with. TS2 and TS3 are aging and I would like updated graphics and updated systems. TS4 is not a game I enjoy playing, but it does have the updated graphics and symptoms. So there's my dilemma.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

There was a The Sims Online that started in 2002 and ended 2008. It was subscription based and had a marketplace pretty much like what EA wants to do now. It failed because not enough of the fanbase was interested in it and it was ran pretty badly itself where the game was pretty "lawless" with lots of "adult" things going on and no child protections in place.

The wiki article also listed all the other attempts by EA/Maxis to introduce online multiplayer into separate The Sims spin-offs which all met failure and closures soon after as well.

If you wanted sims to be online right now, you don't have to wait. You can play a free version of The Sims Online called FreeSO or play TS4 with an online multiplayer mod (which is free for LAN play, but is a subscription for internet play).

But anyway, if EA would bother checking FreeSO and/or the TS4 mod, they would realize that only a very small fraction of the fanbase are even remotely interested in these. This should tell EA something, along with the failure of their other online The Sims projects.

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member

You're certainly not alone in wanting sims to be online, I've seen some other people hoping for this too on various social media platforms... so for you, I hope that if the next iteration is online and multi-player that it meets or exceeds your expectations.

But there is a very large fan-base that is not interested in it being online because a good portion of us, play sims to get away from RL and don't want to have to "socialize" when playing.

Also, if they focus on online play, there's a very real possibility that the single player version (if there even is one) would be extremely lackluster and dummied down again, just like TS4 is. So, that's one of the big reasons why a lot of people don't want it to be online. They would prefer that Maxis focuses on making a very strong base game with a robust AI. If they focus on online play, there is no need for a great AI because when you are interacting with other "sims", you are essentially interacting with other RL people controlling that sim.

I've played online social games such as Second Life for years, and it was very intrusive if you were trying to just do your own thing. Not only would you have constant interruptions from people on your friend's list IM'ing you the moment you logged on, there were people who deliberately took great pleasure in trolling and griefing other people for no reason. If you were a builder or creator and you would be using a public area to build your house or object people would run script objects that could explode a million animated textures that would literally crash your PC, sometimes completely locking it up to the point that you would have to completely shut down your PC and reboot it. Then if they didn't do things like that, they would deliberately continuously bump into your avatar, which is not harmful, but it's distracting if you are building because your avatar is no longer positioned where you need to be to continue to build. If you would go AFK (away from keyboard) for whatever reason and stayed logged on, people would push your avatar clear across the lot you were on (and these lots, or sims as they were called in Second Life, were about the size of a TS4 world) so when you came back you had no idea where your build was located. And then there's the random IMs from creeps wanting to show you personal pics of their RL "junk" or say rude, crude, and nasty things to you in IM.

Maybe I don't understand the desire for it to be online and having the ability to play with other people, so could you explain in detail what you're hoping it's like so that those of us who aren't interested in it can understand the appeal better?
    • How would you control a family?
    • Would every family member need to be controlled by another RL person? If so, what if that other "family member" wasn't logged on when you were playing, you would just have to play your own sim and that's it?
    • How would saves work? Would there even be saves if it was online (Second Life doesn't have saves, you log in under your chosen avatar)
    • How would time work? How would you speed up time? Would sleeping literally take 5-8 RL hours to get your needs up? Or would we no longer have needs to worry about?
    • What about woo-hooing? Would that be removed from the game since there are under age kids who play the sims? What is going to stop an adult from preying on a minor and asking to get frisky with them?

There's just so many things, that to me, seem like they wouldn't work online and that the game would no longer be a "Life Simulation" game but a virtual world instead.
  • deeman190deeman190 Posts: 99 Member

There was a The Sims Online that started in 2002 and ended 2008. It was subscription based and had a marketplace pretty much like what EA wants to do now. It failed because not enough of the fanbase was interested in it and it was ran pretty badly itself where the game was pretty "lawless" with lots of "adult" things going on and no child protections in place.

The wiki article also listed all the other attempts by EA/Maxis to introduce online multiplayer into separate The Sims spin-offs which all met failure and closures soon after as well.

If you wanted sims to be online right now, you don't have to wait. You can play a free version of The Sims Online called FreeSO or play TS4 with an online multiplayer mod (which is free for LAN play, but is a subscription for internet play).

But anyway, if EA would bother checking FreeSO and/or the TS4 mod, they would realize that only a very small fraction of the fanbase are even remotely interested in these. This should tell EA something, along with the failure of their other online The Sims projects.

I play The Sims because I want to get away from real life. Like most people, I don't want anyone interfering with my Sims. I am also concerned about the vulnerability to hacking as well.
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    Online gaming is a big thing so it is understandable that they are thinking about heading in this direction.......

Whilst they may loose some current sims players, they also stand to gain many who may be drawn in by online game play, they have to keep up with what is current.
    There were all these fears before the sims 4 that it would be online but it wasn't, maybe lets wait and see what happens.
    I personally think it would be good for the sims franchise to go down a different path as going through the same similar gameplay and expansions with every release starts to get a little tedious when you have been with the franchise from the beginning!
    I personally have not played the sims 4 that much for this reason, so i feel it is time for something new.
    Those who want to stick to how things are still have the option to continue with the sims 4
    My origin id is sim2011