Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recording videos

I would like to know how to record videos with voice and edit so i can post to youtube. is there any special software that i need?

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    Hello
    You may also like to post your queries in the Video Haven section of the forums and read the threads there too. The simmers there may be able to help you with recording videos.
    The link to the video section of the forums is
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-video-haven
  • MoonstruckkittenMoonstruckkitten Posts: 401 Member
    edited December 2015
    There are a few free programs out there. I recommend OBS which can be found at obsproject.com. It's free and easy to use.
    Other programs are Loilo and Fraps. I'm not sure about ones that cost (although I do know Fraps has a pay version). OBS records both video and voice, but if you want something separate I recommend audacity for voice, which can be found at audacityteam.org
  • SadieSmilesSadieSmiles Posts: 14 New Member
    is the OBS delayed or laggy at all?
  • MoonstruckkittenMoonstruckkitten Posts: 401 Member
    I haven't had any problems with it. It seemed to work pretty well on my husband's system too which is worse than mine at the moment (a first). He used the stream feature more than the recording, but no lag there either. If you lag I recommend that you play in full screen mode and set up OBS to use a hotkey to start and stop recording.

There is one bug I've experienced with using OBS and that is that sometimes if you don't start it before the game and you tab off of the game to do anything the game will not render properly, showing only a white screen (although you can see the correct screen on the preview of OBS and still click on everything and everything works as normal, just without the graphics, so you can still save and exit the game).
    Starting OBS before Sims 4 keeps this from happening (and allows you to tab away without consequence). I'm not sure if this is a problem with OBS or the Sims.
  • iluvchoklateiluvchoklate Posts: 197 Member
    @Moonstruckkitten Sorry I saw this thread and your post and OBS sounded pretty good so I thought I'd give it a try. It's not exactly as easy to use like loilo but I was having low quality videos with that. Anyways the problem is I can't seem to figure out how to save or recordings. I start a recording and it shows up in the preview but as soon as I stop it just disappears. I've looked on their forums but I can't find what I'm looking for. So my question is how do you save recordings with it? I hope you can help me and that you had a good weekend:) Thanks in advance.
  • ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    Hi, this seems to be a pretty good tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYqz9nq3bb4

there are plenty of YouTube, find one that makes most sense to you.

In the "Broadcast settings" make sure 'File output' is selected and choose a suitable directory to save to. When you stop recording it should create a new file named with the current date and time in your selected folder.

I've had no problems with lag but OBS is pretty much the only one I've tried so I can't compare. :)
  • AvliassAvliass Posts: 8 New Member
    I'd like to recommend Joyoshare VidiKit, however. Honestly speaking, it's the best video recorder I've ever used. I use it to record videos in 4K or HD quality. No annoying watermark and time limit. I used OBS before, but sometimes it caused black capture window issues for some unknown reasons.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,659 Member
    I've been using OBS for a few years, always satisfied. But I did only record my game, not stream anything. Still, I'd probably just add my voice afterwards, that would also make it easier for me as there's no point in recording both at the same time unless you have a mini picture of your face etc.

I use Wondershare Filmora for editing, it's easy to use, costs a small one-time fee (pocket money even for a poor person like myself). There are probably free editing software out there too, if you only need "cut & paste + 1 sound track".
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • JadeyyPie99JadeyyPie99 Posts: 9 New Member
    I use OBS and never had any problems, I use Filmora to edit also
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    Hello! I see many people have already recommended OBS. I use Blender for editing. It definitely has a learning curve and render times can be long, but it's 100% free and has all the necessary functionality for starter level YouTube channels. I might post a video on how to do basic editing on Blender if anyone is interested.