Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Other
    It depends. I won't be buying it on release because they plan to release with no occults. By the time they add any, I will be able to see if it's a safe space Utopian simulator or actually includes the possibility of real life challenges and hardships. If it's the latter at that point, I will probably buy it.
  • SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    I play to buy both of them. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the features of TS5 before I make any final decisions though.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    CelSims wrote: »
    It depends. I won't be buying it on release because they plan to release with no occults. By the time they add any, I will be able to see if it's a safe space Utopian simulator or actually includes the possibility of real life challenges and hardships. If it's the latter at that point, I will probably buy it.

Last time I looked at some of the plans for PL, there are not any plans for any DLC. They may have come to different ideas about that by now, but at the time there was a lot of discussions (months ago) there were no plans for any DLC for PL.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited May 2021
    Other
    Probably wont get Sims 5 (unless they do a free giveaway like they've done for 4) and while I like the look of Paralives I'm holding off on a decision until we see some actual live mode game play footage

@Cinebar they havent ruled out DLC and it seems likely it will have DLC, but they are still to busy working on core features to plan DLC yet.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Other
    Paralives is a pipe dream. It's had years of development, and there's still no sign of gameplay, just shallow, flashy features that will only keep the most obsessed Simmers engaged. I don't want a dress-up dolly game, I want a life simulator.

I'm getting the Paradox Interactive life sim by Rod Humble.
    wJbomAo.png
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Paralives is a pipe dream. It's had years of development, and there's still no sign of gameplay, just shallow, flashy features that will only keep the most obsessed Simmers engaged. I don't want a dress-up dolly game, I want a life simulator.

I'm not sure that it's fair to call Paralives a pipe dream, while looking forward to the life simulator from Paradox. That latter game hasn't been confirmed yet.

Many (most?) of us think that it's in the works. I certainly hope so, partially because Paradox usually does good stuff (after release bugs have been squashed), partially because they usually sell new products on GOG (Steam is 100% a non-starter for me), and partially because someone with resources needs to compete with EA/Maxis in this product category.

But hoping and thinking that they're working on it is way short of them confirming that it's even a project, let alone a game with a release date target.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Other
    SimSpock wrote: »

I'm not sure that it's fair to call Paralives a pipe dream, while looking forward to the life simulator from Paradox. That latter game hasn't been confirmed yet.

Many (most?) of us think that it's in the works. I certainly hope so, partially because Paradox usually does good stuff (after release bugs have been squashed), partially because they usually sell new products on GOG (Steam is 100% a non-starter for me), and partially because someone with resources needs to compete with EA/Maxis in this product category.

But hoping and thinking that they're working on it is way short of them confirming that it's even a project, let alone a game with a release date target.

Both Paradox and Rod Humble have proven track records, though.
    Paradox gave us Crusader Kings, and Rod Humble gave us Sims 2.

They've earned my trust. Alex Masse has not.
    wJbomAo.png
    edited May 2021
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Probably wont get Sims 5 (unless they do a free giveaway like they've done for 4) and while I like the look of Paralives I'm holding off on a decision until we see some actual live mode game play footage

@Cinebar they havent ruled out DLC and it seems likely it will have DLC, but they are still to busy working on core features to plan DLC yet.

The best time to plan DLC is when you are building the core of the game. That's why the older Sims' games had roads, water terrain etc. Knowing they would eventually need to add autos and oceans to swim in them. TS4 didn't think about that stuff but said they had made an engine that wouldn't need so many engineers so we see the results of not planning ahead. Engineers think about that stuff for later not after the engine and worlds are finished.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited May 2021

No Humble did not give us TS2, that was Lucy Bradshaw and Will Wright was still there during the base game. Humble enter the picture when Maxis was turned over to Redwood instead of Emeryville and Humble took over Maxis in 2007about the time we saw FT.
  • CrypticSimsCrypticSims Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm definitely getting paralives if it keeps looking like it's going to be good. With Sims 5? Well. Well have to see
    Other

That's a fair comment. I admit that I'm hoping for big things from Paradox on this.
    Other
    Cinebar wrote: »

No Humble did not give us TS2, that was Lucy Bradshaw and Will Wright was still there during the base game. Humble enter the picture when Maxis was turned over to Redwood instead of Emeryville and Humble took over Maxis in 2007about the time we saw FT.

I didn't realize that Will Wright was still there at the time. Sheesh, I'm getting old.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    Other
    I don't know what I'll do. It all depends on the games themselves. I don't have a lot of hope in either of them being too great as of right now. I'll have see what both offer before I settle. Who knows, I may end up playing both. Then again, it could also be neither.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 34 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    I'm not going to buy another Sims game again. I've had problems with the way that EA churns out DLC since the 2nd game and it hasn't gotten any better. Expansions are already iffy for me (seriously, seasons and pets should be in the base game of a LIFE simulator), stuff packs are absolutely useless, and micro transactions? Forget about it!

The Sims franchise is the only franchise I know of where the fans actually defend exuberant prices and multiple DLCs, so it's obvious that EA is milking it for all it's worth, and honestly, why shouldn't they? People keep buying the DLC during sales and then complaining about the state of the game. This franchise has been dead for a long time.

And, yet, all of that being said, I'm not hopeful for Paralives. I think it's admirable that they're trying to make such an ambitious game, but they're a small studio. I think the extreme hype around their game will kill it before it even hits shelves. Nobody has even seen any gameplay and yet Paralives is being called the "Sim Killer" and is touted around as a competitor for EA. And with highly opinionated Sims fans arguing about which features should be included and which features should be left out...well, let's just say I'm not envious of the poor developers. 😅 I'll probably buy the game if it looks any good, but my expectations are low.
    edited May 2021
    Update about Paralives! On April 30th Alex posted (locked) about the following topic: First Steps of Live Mode: Interactions. I wish I knew what they shared. :o

It received 689 likes from the folks who are supporting this game with monthly funds. They have also received enough funds to hire someone to compose the unique music for the game. Woot, I would love to hear some of that. I know we have many people here who are supporting this little Indie company, and I know they know what was the first steps of live mode interactions.....I know no one will leak any of that since it is locked unless you support the game...but I do wish someone who knows would at least give us an idea of what was it like...good, impressive, lackluster, needs improved much, etc.etc. ? ROFL...just a hint anyone? I might have to break down and support this game so I can read the inside scoops but I plan to support it later when it will need players more.

But one thing they do is eventually make it public so we can all read it or watch a little trailer of their progress...that's something Maxis isn't doing. :s

Yes, yes, they have released more video of improved and very impressive fixes to build mode things and junctions etc. however I want to know about gameplay as much as everyone else...so that is why I posted about the April 30th look at interactions locked until much later unless you are an insider who knows....was it impressive? lol On a rating of 1 -10 what would someone on the inside rate some interactions? lol..no sly way to ask someone to give us a hint. lol

ETA: Steam has also posted on their site the system requirements of the game, with that said that's pretty far along to be able to post system requirements for a game isn't it? I mean is that just a place holder requirement or is that the actual requirements and wouldn't that mean the developers have moved far enough along to know what the game will require? Isn't that a big deal in game development? (Progress)

By Comparison with TS5 (or whatever) we see articles from top EA brass talking about bringing competition and the TSO model to the future game.....competition, marketplaces, and something like TSO but modernized....and monetized.

I think the choices are becoming more clear with each interview or job posting about a new IP or Sim game and or an Indie game.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Other
    I really enjoy playing the Sims 4 so I haven't cemented the idea of getting the Sims 5. I am not a social person and purchasing a game that requires me to be social is not on my agenda. Introverts are never considered in these decisions :'(:D I checked out Paralives and from what I can tell, it is already similar to the Sims 4. I do play some Steam games so I am not opposed to trying it out but I definitely have not set that in stone yet.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    For me, there's room for both.

I have a habit of judging too harshly, only to end up changing my mind about it later on. For that reason, I'll pick up both, because I can never really know what I'll like and dislike about either one until I try them for myself.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    @Cinebar i wish i could know more about live mode in paralives too. Someone? 😁
    texxx78 wrote: »
    @Cinebar i wish i could know more about live mode in paralives too. Someone? 😁

The only low down anyone can tell us is the live mode gameplay and simulations aren't as far along as we hoped. They have just started on some of that. Animations are complicated especially if the rumors are true about height sliders and being able to size other objects. It seems the game still has a very, very long way to go so I guess we just wait for the sneak peaks PL releases to the public and wait for no news about TS5 at all. :/ leaving us to ponder which game is going to appeal more.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    Paralives has some interesting ideas, but I really don't like the character design. I am getting worried that TS5 might only be multiplayer with no singleplayer mode. Unless Paralives changes their character design and TS5 has a singleplayer mode, I won't be getting either of them.
  • AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    I don't know..... will cross that bridge when i reach it. I'd prefer if sims 5 is a single player, I don't play multiplayers. Playing games for me is more of a me time. On the other hand if it turns out to be similar to animal crossing it won't be too terrible I think, on the third, I don't think I will be buying it anyway until it will mature some, just like I didn't bought sims 4 from the start. On the forth, I really don't like the looks of paralives, it's so bland, from furniture to character design. Also the height slider demo that I saw, maybe they have changed it since then but they basically shrink the whole person, that's not how height works. And I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I think it's great that they are trying their best and that there will be options on the market, but there seems to be a lot of issue from the technical point of view so far, starting from the fact that they didn't had correct topology for their character meshes from the start (good that they are working on it tho). I'm afraid it will take a long time to make it a polished game and that the hype behind it is unreasonable for now. Shall wait and see how it will all go.
    rjssim wrote: »
    Paralives has some interesting ideas, but I really don't like the character design. I am getting worried that TS5 might only be multiplayer with no singleplayer mode. Unless Paralives changes their character design and TS5 has a singleplayer mode, I won't be getting either of them.

Since the reveal of the Maggie trailer they have reworked some pretty good details into their character designs. I'm pretty sure it's public now, but the details aren't. :) But I can understand I'm not thrilled with the artistic design chosen, but the details are very interesting within that artistic design that are perhaps not made public yet.
    edited May 2021
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    I don't know..... will cross that bridge when i reach it. I'd prefer if sims 5 is a single player, I don't play multiplayers. Playing games for me is more of a me time. On the other hand if it turns out to be similar to animal crossing it won't be too terrible I think, on the third, I don't think I will be buying it anyway until it will mature some, just like I didn't bought sims 4 from the start. On the forth, I really don't like the looks of paralives, it's so bland, from furniture to character design. Also the height slider demo that I saw, maybe they have changed it since then but they basically shrink the whole person, that's not how height works. And I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I think it's great that they are trying their best and that there will be options on the market, but there seems to be a lot of issue from the technical point of view so far, starting from the fact that they didn't had correct topology for their character meshes from the start (good that they are working on it tho). I'm afraid it will take a long time to make it a polished game and that the hype behind it is unreasonable for now. Shall wait and see how it will all go.

I would say this about what you have said. If you are an insider into the secret things you would be pretty excited with some of those things if they matter that are 'secretive'. I will just say this, about 80% of what is being worked on is not known at this time to the public, :D Innovative is a good word to explain a lot not known. :) Some of the hype is comimg from those who do know but can't say a lot of things. The hype is from those who do know that so much is and can be done in a little Indie game and give EA a run for it's money. Because yes, it's quite impressive in some areas to be a little Indie game. (set aside gameplay that hasn't really started all that much).

The same is probably true for what is not known about TS5..just whether they listen to the core and make it single player and no online requirements etc, and or just a way to profit off of players' cc.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Other
    It received 689 likes from the folks who are supporting this game with monthly funds. They have also received enough funds to hire someone to compose the unique music for the game. Woot, I would love to hear some of that. I know we have many people here who are supporting this little Indie company,

These 'games' that bill subscribers and 'supporters' while still in development is just the latest spin on a ponzi-like scheme. There's often no actual product to ever be made - they're just billing people's wishes and dreams until they announce that something outside their control has forced the product to be cancelled. A product that often was never actually being made anyway.

You just get some youthful charming yet slightly geeky white guy to make videos about his 'product' and then put together some 'play demo' videos using animation software, and the cash rolls in for years on end while you time your exit to match something easy enough to excuse, and hope you don't end up like the one MMO that recently got caught for it.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    Jyotai wrote: »
    It received 689 likes from the folks who are supporting this game with monthly funds. They have also received enough funds to hire someone to compose the unique music for the game. Woot, I would love to hear some of that. I know we have many people here who are supporting this little Indie company,

These 'games' that bill subscribers and 'supporters' while still in development is just the latest spin on a ponzi-like scheme. There's often no actual product to ever be made - they're just billing people's wishes and dreams until they announce that something outside their control has forced the product to be cancelled. A product that often was never actually being made anyway.

@Jyotai This is not interely true. There are tons and tons of very successful games that started from funding pages. Yes, there have been some scams but were imo very obvious and they are also not the norm. Just because a few people took advantage of this system doesn't mean it happens "often" as you said.
    More often than not there are actual products being made and a lot of communities have been very satisfied.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top