Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tired of being babysit by a game.

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Yes, so right! And what about non-consent without being dazed? Is is ok?
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 271 Member
    edited May 2021
    Scobre wrote: »
    Enters Paralives and People of Newberry.
    Paralives I know of. Haven't looked up too much of it yet, but seems it would be the first choice. I only hope they eventually plan to release it on console, unless I manage to save up for a new computer first. Haven't heard of the other one, time to go educate myself.

OnT again: Seriously. Is it too much to ask for some more seriousness in the game? I want my Sims to be allowed to face troubles (beyoned a ruined washtub and paint on the floor) and overcome them, not just live happily going through the days with the occassional temper tantrum or sick Sim that noone of his family and friends cares about. It's a game, not a real world injustice.

Next, they'll remove the CaS completely. Who are we to decide how our Sims will look and what family they'll be in? Also, control options for all Sims will be like pets, we can track them, but have no option to take control over them. They decide their lives, not us outsiders. If they want to cook food and leave it somewhere forever to grab a quick meal from the fridge, or ignore their bladder until the bar reaches RED ALERT, it's their prerogative.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    S E R I O U S L Y (I am just annoyed by those who are offended Sorry for the caps)

If they are so offended by this can't they just have the sim who hates baby to be a part in their household and have THAT Sim with Hates children trait to be the one to ask to Try for baby? Wouldn't it be always succesful since sims will follow your command on wohoo regardless of their emotion unless locked out...
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2021
    This music video is all that comes to mind of when thinking of these blockheads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

I bet ya the team got inspired by this music video to create those possessed folks in Strangerville.
    Only if you lived in '94. :D

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I was -6 years old when this came out but I loooove this song. Thanks for reminding me to listen to this today.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    S E R I O U S L Y (I am just annoyed by those who are offended Sorry for the caps)

If they are so offended by this can't they just have the sim who hates baby to be a part in their household and have THAT Sim with Hates children trait to be the one to ask to Try for baby? Wouldn't it be always succesful since sims will follow your command on wohoo regardless of their emotion unless locked out...

In this patch I actually felt that the sims 4 is slowly becoming a life simulator that focuses on the personality of each sim. I feel that they are going on the right direction....but this... I don't think they will continue this if they are too sensitive. The game is a life simulator that put spins in reality not a "Moral" Simulator. If you don't want that modding is possible. People who wanted to play a life simulator game Should NEVER rely on mods to have depth in the first place. However instead it's the opposite. It was the people who wanted better traits, emotions, and personality who have to mod the game because every changes made by the offficial team could offend someone.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited May 2021
    TS1299 wrote: »

That was exactly what the trait update did, you had to ask try for baby with the sim who had the hates children trait, the player had to make the decision for them unless the other sim was dazed. Kinda like how other emotions can give different outcomes in the game (you can't do some things in the game if you are angry or sad for example).

Getting another sim dazed is really difficult for the player to do (unless you have the juiced NAP), but that was apparently too much for some people and now it's a question about consent. In a game where your sim will do almost anything you want without objections and any sim will agree to try for babies as long as you have a high enough romantic relationship.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Is anyone else just sick of TS4 babysitting its players?

After my first 300 hours with this game the middle of 2019 and saw the writing on the wall with that hand holding and padded rooms business the developers put me into. Then i played a Queen music track "I want to break free" for inspiration, then it hit me around the same time i got my first bundle with Get Together as the centerpiece.

I found MCCC and that combined with GT really gave me some freedom i was so desperately looking for in TS4 because i can see the potential at the time and no way to explore it, it was highly annoying. Almost 2,000 hours later and then City Living and Seasons came along, after that i started looking into other mods that brought some more nonsensical elements out of the game and it was like the Berlin wall fell, everything was so much better after that.

Almost 7,000 hours later and i'm still playing because of these mods and some of these DLC really brought out the best in this game.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I'm pretty sure People of Newberry is a scam. Don't fall for it or give them money.

Paralives is legit and I'm just riding out the sims until they make their debut. Then I'ma drop the sims like a hot potato.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think they should just introduce the chance of sims getting pregnant from regular woohoo. And sims getting pregnant every time from Try for Baby is way too unrealistic also.
    This is something I would have liked to be added as well. I'd like for my sims to be surprised every now and then, and it would teach them to not use woohoo as a quick social and fun fix every other afternoon. That is, if the option to vomit doesn't immediately show up and reveal to me what's going on.

OnT: I was actually surprised when I learned about the alien abductions and pregnancies. Didn't think they'd dare include something that walks the line between a romantic visit to an alien resturant and a hapless Sim in a pollination pod. I assume the latter, since I don't remember my Sim gaining any alien romantic interest the one time he got kidnapped.

Personally, I wouldn't mind more stuff like this. At this point, the most dangerous things in the game seems to be a starving cowplant and malfunctioning appliances - the danger comes in the form of waterpuddles, and can send the bravest Sim running.

Or should one just accept the Sim game with its happy protective bubble, and wait for another life simulator to appear?
    Enters Paralives and People of Newberry.

Believe it or not it may just happen like it happened to the Sims City franchise.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure People of Newberry is a scam. Don't fall for it or give them money.

Paralives is legit and I'm just riding out the sims until they make their debut. Then I'ma drop the sims like a hot potato.

Hadn't heard of People of Newberry so I am not interested in that. But I am rooting for Paralives and hope it makes it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I like that hates children sim is impossible to persuade into having kids. It's more fun if not everything is in player's control.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    edited May 2021
    This music video is all that comes to mind of when thinking of these blockheads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

I bet ya the team got inspired by this music video to create those possessed folks in Strangerville.
    Only if you lived in '94. :D

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I was -6 years old when this came out but I loooove this song. Thanks for reminding me to listen to this today.
    agreed! i was -1 years old but it's a good song! (i got interested in it from a friend tho, but it's all good!) my question is tho why does everyone get insulted over the little things?
    And i totally see how that song could have inspired strangerville. cause it's literally a black hole once all the weirdness starts.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    edited May 2021
    So this issue seems interesting. first and foremost, sims cannot give consent, the player gives consent. Also, it is the players choice to give a sim that hates children a child. in life things happen, sometimes surprise things and it could turn around better for them. Life isn't always sunshine and rainbows. Also well, as far as saying sims need to be dazed: well think about this: something people "forget" their commitment if they are dazed. Now improving the trait wouldn't be bad- i mean if they don't want kids at all, it would be cool to have a sim that is like um no all the time.
    But still how about the lack of burglers, i don't have vampires but i heard they could sneak into your sims house. Well, isn't that the same as burlagry? even 🐸🐸🐸🐸? i mean i don't think they should be nerfed because that takes away the challenge and suprise of the game. As @CelSims said, they have challenges to overcome, and without them, sometimes you don't appreciate being happy.
    Not to whine or anything but this is why i like the sims 2. They are consequences to every action: cheating, losing a job, losing skill points, but the challenge of building it back up.
    and forgive me but in all those years in which i've been playing sims, i always thought that Woohoo is with condom, and try for baby is without.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    talongirl6 wrote: »
    talongirl6 wrote: »
    Maybe someone should let the Sims team know about how we feel about this somehow? Like, by making it trend on a social media page or something? This situation is reminding me of the censorship issue in other games where people feel like their freedom in the game is being taken away. We should be allowed to do what we want in the game, especially since it does have a Teen rating and therefore can have some things in it that aren't for children. While this is minor since it is one trait, it could still lead to other unwanted changes in the future. I just feel like someone should say something about how we don't want this change, you know?

That's actually a really good idea. Although, I'm not really sure how to go about it.

I was actually thinking the same thing regarding the Teen rating though. If people have an issue with "exposing [their] children" to such things, maybe don't let your kids play a Teen rated game?

And as for people who say, it should have been changed because it could trigger someone...well, ANYTHING could be a trigger for someone. I went through some pretty bad trauma with losing three cats within the span of six months last year, but you don't see me asking for pet deaths to be nerfed in the game.

As a result, so I don't have to re-live that. I simply keep play with aging off, don't let them become seniors and typically play with death turned off. If a Hates Children sim being able to possibly get pregnant (or get someone pregnant) while dazed is an issue for you, maybe don't prompt your Sims to "try for baby" while one is dazed? Or disable their abilities to reproduce in CAS? There are ways to avoid it...

I agree! I also don't know how to go about doing it though. I don't have a Twitter or anything, and I really only talk to my friends on other social media websites, so I personally wouldn't be able to really do much about it.

I also agree, the game really shouldn't be this safe with everything. Like you said, anything could potentially be a trigger and there are ways to avoid most of these things anyway. But it would be silly to just censor everything. I'm very anti-censorship, so this just upsets me. I've seen so many of my favorite games fall down this path recently. I just hope that there is a way that the Sims team can see what we're saying and perhaps do something about it so that they don't keep removing content that people like or had no problem with.

I mean, I'm all for making corrections to things if it's something that's actually questionable. But in this case... asking a sim to "try for baby" is a completely player directed action, so in order for this be considered non-consent... that has to be specifically done by the player. Meaning in essence, they're appropriating the exact thing they're trying to fight. And considering we as the players dictate practically everything in our Sims lives as it is, we could make the argument that everything we make them do is non-consensual to some degree. I mean we tell them how to dress when we create their outfits in CAS. What if they want to dress goth instead of preppy?

And as I said before, almost anything could be triggering for someone. We can't just remove things from the game left and right because it might trigger someone.

I mean, going back to my example with pet deaths, how many backlash comments would I get if I went onto twitter and say,
    "Hey can you please nerf pet deaths? I lost three cats in six months and being forced to relive my pets dying is awfully triggering for me."

People would suggest
    "don't have pets in the game" ---> Don't have your dazed Sims "try for baby."
    "Just use an age down treat whenever they become a senior" ---> Just disable the pregnancy options in CAS.

Someone could have been yelled at for not doing laundry when they were younger by their parents. Should laundry be nerfed from Laundry Day altogether, and the washing machines rendered just decorations?

It honestly does seem like censorship at this point.
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    grassharp wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with them removing this change to the trait; it was worded poorly and it can too easily be misread as being nonconsensual. That being said, the irony of outrage over a poorly-worded description of a trait change while ignoring the alien abductions/impregnations is not lost on me. If they want to have a conversation about consent in The Sims, then do it fully and fairly.
    So change the wording not the trait. I guess that is why we have the un-named mods because Maxis is being led by the nose from people on a social media platform, who probably don't even play the game.
    I guess I will continue to take hours to update my mods so I can get actual game play :(
    EA ID burnished_dragon
    Stop giving more nonconsensual items for the game to nerf. Please
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member

turns out hates kids trait improvement seemed " predatory" to someone and now they are taking it out...

when actually that was just to add realism and didn't increase predatory gameplay in any way because well unless player goes all the way out to make it predatory it really wouldn't be.
    and woohoo would still need same amount of consent it usually does.

it could really just be 2 sims getting juiced and forgetting they hate kids or that woohoo minus protection spawns one

and im just tired in general of this trend that everything in game must be a freaking utopia and it cancels out whole loads of stuff

like one could argue mother plant is predatory and they'd just go " oh right totally let us delete that" like um mother plant is very nice buddy if you just calm her down

one could argue " oh but sims could be killed in horrible ways so they should never die" and theyd just go "oh right let us take dying out of the game"

like I'm sick if this mentality of " if it can be used for evil it cant be in the game"

and I'm sure it will end up destroying half of the game for me because well it already has. in form of realm of magic spells being completely nerfed cause "oh no someone might want to make evil wizard" p_p
    (yes that someone is me, total creep, do flee)

I just hope community would realize that what someone does in their game doesnt need to happen in theirs and they can simply just not do it if it bothers them so much

personally i was hyped that despite hates kids sims not liking kids they might still accidentally make one and hence have to battle their dislike of kids to raise one

but now idk if they'll end up ruining the whole trait for me cause someone found that spoopy

and anyway thanks for coming to my hotheaded rant hope your nose isnt completely stuffed with peas and have a great day

Having been to clubs as the designated driver and having some creep put something in my drink which in sims terms would make your sim in a dazed state and having to put up with predatory behaviour from some creepy individual I can understand why anybody would view it as intensive by the developers. I can understand why people are outraged. I can understand how some simmers are triggered. It would be one thing for the game to have an Adult only or a Mature rating and doing something like this but it's a T rated game.

I think that if somebody hates kids they would use protection when woohooing or on birth control for a start no matter their state of mind. Also, the trait needs to make it where sims with the trait don't adopt babies, toddlers and kids or teens. I hate that premade sims like Lily Feng and Mr Romero who both have the trait are always the first to adopt a baby, toddler or child in my games.

Yes, It's a good thing for the sims team to own up to their mistake.

If the trait improvements were properly playtested then beta-tested we wouldn't be having this discussion. I hope this serves as a lesson to the sims team to playtest and beta test everything. Yes, it takes time to due. Yes, it costs money to do. But it's better to spend that money on playtesters and beta tester than having to apologize for inappropriate and illegal actions and activities that occur in the game unmodded.

Some people will argue that it's just a game. For some things, I would say I agree that because it's just a game that there is no need for alarm. However, this is something serious and the sims team needs to be more mindful. This isn't like adding Aborigines or Canada's First People or Native Americans in the game and every racist crawling out of the woodwork complaining. It's not like improving LBGTQIA+ interactions and pronouns in the game where every plumb would complain as if it wouldn't be something they can choose not to have in their game and change it to where that isn't even a part of the game.

Everybody has things that offend them. I don't offend easily at all. I'm not politically correct but even I can understand why others are enraged offended and see the lack of decency in the sims team's actions.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
    Bluelle wrote: »
    The only

That being said, ^ is just me speculating reasons why people are okay with x but not x. I'm totally on the side of OP. TS4 is totally a children's game. A happy place, a rainbow land, where nothing bad ever happens and there are no consequences and no negativity because someone on Twitter might get offended.

Except the long grieving period when an acquaintance dies. Now they could nerf the days of mourning because if you have a popular sim, they are always sad. Isn't that triggering *full sarcasm*
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    Sims team:

yes we hear your concerns about dazed sims romantic interaction being too predatory so we removed it

also sims team:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zxG3HYkoQ-k

...idk man...idk.

I guess they'll have to delete whole doctor career next *pls do not*
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    drakharis wrote: »

turns out hates kids trait improvement seemed " predatory" to someone and now they are taking it out...

when actually that was just to add realism and didn't increase predatory gameplay in any way because well unless player goes all the way out to make it predatory it really wouldn't be.
    and woohoo would still need same amount of consent it usually does.

it could really just be 2 sims getting juiced and forgetting they hate kids or that woohoo minus protection spawns one

and im just tired in general of this trend that everything in game must be a freaking utopia and it cancels out whole loads of stuff

like one could argue mother plant is predatory and they'd just go " oh right totally let us delete that" like um mother plant is very nice buddy if you just calm her down

one could argue " oh but sims could be killed in horrible ways so they should never die" and theyd just go "oh right let us take dying out of the game"

like I'm sick if this mentality of " if it can be used for evil it cant be in the game"

and I'm sure it will end up destroying half of the game for me because well it already has. in form of realm of magic spells being completely nerfed cause "oh no someone might want to make evil wizard" p_p
    (yes that someone is me, total creep, do flee)

I just hope community would realize that what someone does in their game doesnt need to happen in theirs and they can simply just not do it if it bothers them so much

personally i was hyped that despite hates kids sims not liking kids they might still accidentally make one and hence have to battle their dislike of kids to raise one

but now idk if they'll end up ruining the whole trait for me cause someone found that spoopy

and anyway thanks for coming to my hotheaded rant hope your nose isnt completely stuffed with peas and have a great day

I think that if somebody hates kids they would use protection when woohooing or on birth control for a start no matter their state of mind. Also, the trait needs to make it where sims with the trait don't adopt babies, toddlers and kids or teens. I hate that premade sims like Lily Feng and Mr Romero who both have the trait are always the first to adopt a baby, toddler or child in my games.

Again, it is entirely possible to hate kids and still want a legacy. How does a Sim who wants a successful lineage but hates children choose to deal with it? Do they try to be a good parent in spite of their tension? Do they hire nannies and look into boarding schools? That is an interesting problem that makes for interesting gameplay.

It's boring to have no internal conflicts.

And I don't think the game considers teens as children for this trait anyway. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have never noticed child hating Sims getting tense around teens.

As for the dazed thing, it may or may not be an issue of consent depending on the situation. I am not sure what should be done there, but generally prefer to err in the direction of letting individuals decide for themselves. Are there limits to what should be portrayed? Of course! I just don't know if this falls outside those limits.

I myself feel really uncomfortable with streaking in game. But I lived through that era and I'm not going to ask to have it removed.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top