Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tired of being babysit by a game.

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,871 Member
    Bobisbae wrote: »
    This had been in the game for a month and we just found out about it a couple of days ago.

Just curious, how many of the folks offended by the change had actually been using this feature during its month of existence?
    (getting a sim who hates children dazed in order to have another sim initiate Try For Baby with them)

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    LittleFox2 wrote: »
    I have to say that I knew absolutely nothing about Molly (aka storylegacysims) up until looking it up a couple of minutes ago.

To the Topic: Are the Sims not being controlled by the player? Has something changed? Unless you have a mod in your game, I've personally never had a Sim autonomously try for a baby in 7 years.

Sims never try for baby autonomously in the vanilla game.

I also never heard of this Molly. Maxis thinks game changers have more influence than i think they actually have.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited May 2021
    LiELF wrote: »
    Aaaannnnd once again, we have people taking the "life" out of a life simulator. Yeah, sorry guys, this triggers my nerd rage.

What is wrong with these people on the internet? Have they never left the house, made bad choices, had regrets or bouts of out-of-character decisions that they've had to confront later? Have they never actually lived their lives? Do they even know the difference between a fictional video game and reality? "Sims should always give consent". Are you kidding me?

First of all, "dazed" does not equal "drunk". Why is this an automatic assumption? Sims get dazed from several different things. It's also considered an emotional state, not an inebriated one. I don't think it's so strange to say that, one day this Sim who hates kids is not quite in their normal state of mind and goes against their nature to have unprotected Woohoo. Maybe it's a fit of passion or love or stress or adrenaline or mid-life crisis or spontaneity or just a good 'ol electric charge from being hit by lightning. Who knows? Well, the player does, that's who, because the player would have to be the one to initiate it. That's how the game is supposed to be. Up to the player. Don't want your child-hating dazed Sim to reproduce? Don't initiate woohoo. How hard is that? Stop trying to police my game.

I'm really really fed up with these players who are offended by everything and jump right into their cancel culture because they can't just walk away from the most childish edition of The Sims to date and go play something with an E rating. No. Instead, they need to cry to the developers to force their own puritanical principles on the rest of the community to have the game be changed just for them, so they can sit in their virtual safe space and watch their Sims smile at each other.

I am so done with this nerfing baloney and shame on the devs for pandering and coddling these entitled people when they've finally been doing good and interesting things for the base game. Just because someone is offended does not mean that the content is offensive. When you look for provocation, you can find it anywhere. My god, get a grip.

I agree, it didn’t even cross my mind that someone was doing anything without consent...... after all, I’m the one who controls my sims, they don’t have babies on their own as it is. And like you said, dazed can mean so many things. They could just be in the throes of passion and forgot their birth control. I don’t know why everyone has to see the worst.

But that being said. I would like to have the freedom to get them pregnant without being dazed. It takes control away from the player. But I sure would like to see hates children sims get tense around kids after being in their presence too long.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited May 2021
    logion wrote: »
    Who even complained about this? I am very active in the Sims community yet I never saw anyone complain about this feature? I have seen people complain about other stuff that was never changed though.

People on twitter started complaining and got a response from the sims twitter, soon after that sims news sites and youtubers started making videos blowing the whole thing way out of proportion.
    To me it honestly feels like these people are just chasing drama at this point and I'm getting pretty tired of it. The sims team should just have changed the patch notes and that's it.

My exact sentiments ⬆️
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,909 Member
    edited May 2021
    logion wrote: »

People on twitter started complaining and got a response from the sims twitter, soon after that sims news sites and youtubers started making videos blowing the whole thing way out of proportion.
    To me it honestly feels like these people are just chasing drama at this point and I'm getting pretty tired of it. The sims team should just have changed the patch notes and that's it.
    The sims team cannot do anything at all at these days, as no matter what they do or not do, there is always someone who will be like "OMG!! That one word turned my whole life upside down!! How Can I Survive??"

And we are talking about a game... duh..

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Wait, are they taking the "Hates Children" trait out altogether? Or just taking it back to the way it was before? If someone could please answer this for me, I would really appreciate it. Because if by chance it is getting taken out altogether, I'm going to have to find a way to extract it to make it a cc trait. (or find a modder who can do so) Because it's actually a super important trait to one of my Sim's backstories.

Regardless, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the improvement, or how it was worded. The whole being dazed and non-consent implication never even once crossed my mind. Even rereading the original patch notes now, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I took it as trying for baby itself would fail and there's only a minor chance for it to succeed unless the Sim is dazed. Plus, can't Sims still reject woohoo even while dazed?

I don't know, I just feel like it was blown out of proportion. Much like a lot of other things. (ie Vampires breaking in being compared to the same thing this change "supposedly" was implying.)
    I tried to comment in Molly's post but she is only accepting comments from her followers. Only in that post. All other posts in her page accept commments from anyone... maybe she's getting some backlash... but having denied access to that post the sims team cannot realize the backlash to that decision (if it is happening, i'm just speculating... but then why deny comments only in this post?). What a bad decision imo. Changing the language...ok. Retreating in the trait improvement... not ok.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Wait, are they taking the "Hates Children" trait out altogether? Or just taking it back to the way it was before? If someone could please answer this for me, I would really appreciate it. Because if by chance it is getting taken out altogether, I'm going to have to find a way to extract it to make it a cc trait. (or find a modder who can do so) Because it's actually a super important trait to one of my Sim's backstories.

Regardless, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the improvement, or how it was worded. The whole being dazed and non-consent implication never even once crossed my mind. Even rereading the original patch notes now, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I took it as trying for baby itself would fail and there's only a minor chance for it to succeed unless the Sim is dazed. Plus, can't Sims still reject woohoo even while dazed?

I don't know, I just feel like it was blown out of proportion. Much like a lot of other things. (ie Vampires breaking in being compared to the same thing this change "supposedly" was implying.)

They’re not taking the trait out, just the part about them being more likely to conceive with the try for baby option when dazed.
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    Maybe someone should let the Sims team know about how we feel about this somehow? Like, by making it trend on a social media page or something? This situation is reminding me of the censorship issue in other games where people feel like their freedom in the game is being taken away. We should be allowed to do what we want in the game, especially since it does have a Teen rating and therefore can have some things in it that aren't for children. While this is minor since it is one trait, it could still lead to other unwanted changes in the future. I just feel like someone should say something about how we don't want this change, you know?
    @Pamtastic72 @LittleFox2 Thank you guys so much for confirming. That part is still a relief at least. The way people were talking on FB made it seem like the trait itself was being removed.

Still though, I literally don't get where people are getting dazed=drunk/not able to consent. I mean, they get that moodlet if they drink too much coffee or after losing a fight.

And as a lot of you have pointed out...almost anything could be taken out of context regarding consent...

I mean, we as players are the ones who are deciding who to make our Sims woohoo with. What if my sim doesn't want to woohoo with Caleb Vatore? By me directing her, I'm taking away her consent. Maybe we should just remove woohoo altogether? (SARCASM! Because surely some people won't automatically know.)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I don't know if i'm more tired of people trying at all cost to bring reality into the game or ea's prompt response to this, while ignoring hundreds of bugs that we have been complaining about. How fast are they to address this non-sense... Consent? Wth... since when sims consent anything? Aren't we the one's who "operate" our sims? So you can torture sims, kill them squashing them in evil beds, drowning them and so on but can't a sim be kinda wasted and forget to use a condom? Why do people related dazed immediatly to non consent?
    It is two separate teams that handle bugs and features. QA team handles the bugs while the Gurus that Simmers see during live streams don't. So pointless to bug them there. Much better to reach out to SimGuruNick.

I get it. But then they should increase bug fixing team. And they should have increased that team yesterday, you know what i mean? The game has hundreds of bugs and they're not that prompt to increase the team, to make the game decently playable fast.
    Yeah I think they should too. I know the QA team and number of CMs is much smaller than the amount of Gurus, so I wouldn't mind if they increased both teams.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited May 2021
    @Pamtastic72 @LittleFox2 Thank you guys so much for confirming. That part is still a relief at least. The way people were talking on FB made it seem like the trait itself was being removed.

Still though, I literally don't get where people are getting dazed=drunk/not able to consent. I mean, they get that moodlet if they drink too much coffee or after losing a fight.

And as a lot of you have pointed out...almost anything could be taken out of context regarding consent...

I mean, we as players are the ones who are deciding who to make our Sims woohoo with. What if my sim doesn't want to woohoo with Caleb Vatore? By me directing her, I'm taking away her consent. Maybe we should just remove woohoo altogether? (SARCASM! Because surely some people won't automatically know.)

I think even the game changer haven't thought it throught. It crossed her mind... (a controversial issue), she made a post... and bam! sims team takes it out of the game. Lol. This is just one improvement in one trait but the sims team logic is there, exposed for whoever wants to see it... it will happen again. How can someone develop a game with so much fear?
    talongirl6 wrote: »
    Maybe someone should let the Sims team know about how we feel about this somehow? Like, by making it trend on a social media page or something? This situation is reminding me of the censorship issue in other games where people feel like their freedom in the game is being taken away. We should be allowed to do what we want in the game, especially since it does have a Teen rating and therefore can have some things in it that aren't for children. While this is minor since it is one trait, it could still lead to other unwanted changes in the future. I just feel like someone should say something about how we don't want this change, you know?

That's actually a really good idea. Although, I'm not really sure how to go about it.

I was actually thinking the same thing regarding the Teen rating though. If people have an issue with "exposing [their] children" to such things, maybe don't let your kids play a Teen rated game?

And as for people who say, it should have been changed because it could trigger someone...well, ANYTHING could be a trigger for someone. I went through some pretty bad trauma with losing three cats within the span of six months last year, but you don't see me asking for pet deaths to be nerfed in the game.

As a result, so I don't have to re-live that. I simply keep play with aging off, don't let them become seniors and typically play with death turned off. If a Hates Children sim being able to possibly get pregnant (or get someone pregnant) while dazed is an issue for you, maybe don't prompt your Sims to "try for baby" while one is dazed? Or disable their abilities to reproduce in CAS? There are ways to avoid it...
    Simmingal wrote: »
    maybe i should use twitter next time i really want something out of my game

rb2q6.jpg

like maybe:
    " randomized townies are predatory because they keep colonizing my worlds and attacking my nice sim worlds to do awful things like browsing their very criminal phones probably full of illegal things

and they all look like they just finished long prison sentence cause they don't know fashion trends

and well obviously that means they are all awful criminals and that really bothers me

and makes me feel scared to have them around trying to chat my sims! talk to my toddlers! awful! horrible! super creepy!

please delete them and give me back my safe space or at least let me disable this game mechanism because its triggering me!"
    wonder if that would work...
    LOL you should.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    talongirl6 wrote: »

That's actually a really good idea. Although, I'm not really sure how to go about it.

I was actually thinking the same thing regarding the Teen rating though. If people have an issue with "exposing [their] children" to such things, maybe don't let your kids play a Teen rated game?

And as for people who say, it should have been changed because it could trigger someone...well, ANYTHING could be a trigger for someone. I went through some pretty bad trauma with losing three cats within the span of six months last year, but you don't see me asking for pet deaths to be nerfed in the game.

As a result, so I don't have to re-live that. I simply keep play with aging off, don't let them become seniors and typically play with death turned off. If a Hates Children sim being able to possibly get pregnant (or get someone pregnant) while dazed is an issue for you, maybe don't prompt your Sims to "try for baby" while one is dazed? Or disable their abilities to reproduce in CAS? There are ways to avoid it...

I agree! I also don't know how to go about doing it though. I don't have a Twitter or anything, and I really only talk to my friends on other social media websites, so I personally wouldn't be able to really do much about it.

I also agree, the game really shouldn't be this safe with everything. Like you said, anything could potentially be a trigger and there are ways to avoid most of these things anyway. But it would be silly to just censor everything. I'm very anti-censorship, so this just upsets me. I've seen so many of my favorite games fall down this path recently. I just hope that there is a way that the Sims team can see what we're saying and perhaps do something about it so that they don't keep removing content that people like or had no problem with.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,909 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Drama started by a Game Changer who has a massive 77 subscribers on youtube and has only posted 2 videos, which was 2 years ago. What does she even do other than take away other players fun? Is she a builder or some thing?

All it needs is one..
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think they should just introduce the chance of sims getting pregnant from regular woohoo. And sims getting pregnant every time from Try for Baby is way too unrealistic also.
    This is something I would have liked to be added as well. I'd like for my sims to be surprised every now and then, and it would teach them to not use woohoo as a quick social and fun fix every other afternoon. That is, if the option to vomit doesn't immediately show up and reveal to me what's going on.

OnT: I was actually surprised when I learned about the alien abductions and pregnancies. Didn't think they'd dare include something that walks the line between a romantic visit to an alien resturant and a hapless Sim in a pollination pod. I assume the latter, since I don't remember my Sim gaining any alien romantic interest the one time he got kidnapped.

Personally, I wouldn't mind more stuff like this. At this point, the most dangerous things in the game seems to be a starving cowplant and malfunctioning appliances - the danger comes in the form of waterpuddles, and can send the bravest Sim running.

Or should one just accept the Sim game with its happy protective bubble, and wait for another life simulator to appear?
    Enters Paralives and People of Newberry.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited May 2021
    CelSims wrote: »
    Drama started by a Game Changer who has a massive 77 subscribers on youtube and has only posted 2 videos, which was 2 years ago. What does she even do other than take away other players fun? Is she a builder or some thing?

All it needs is one..

Wouldn't be surprised if that subscriber count skyrocketed over the last couple days as a result of the drama... :|

You know I think Im gonna force some kid-hating sims into the woes of parenthood just for poops and giggles. And I have mods to make this 10x worse! Try and stop me Twitter! >:)
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited May 2021
    marissim wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »
    And that is all that the game really is, a game. Our characters, our sims are not real people.
    And that is exactly what I was trying to say. But the game is a life simulator, and life isn't always pretty.
    I agree, the game is just a life simulator. And so very true, life isn't always pretty or fair.
    ETA: This topic needs to close. Why? Because talking about assault of any kind is against forum rules.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    At first, I used that trait primary for elder sims, which is based on my own experience or only for a short time and change ist when needed and I had an automously try for a baby, when I the player didn't wanted it, and I didn't checked when it happened like before. I understand that the description is something that other can upset, and at first I thought that would be like when the sim is drunken. On the other side, I had learnt that even ww cancelled try for a baby without having protection. But sigh, it's the twitter mob again, who get cancelled everything, I guess the same happened with the new hair colours, because some find the black hair not really black.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,185 Member
    The Thing is it is not just the game fault. People now are very very insensitive. Imagine if The Sims 2 was released at this time and age. It will be criticized and called as "Offensive" because they are not in full control of the game.

Actually it was the Sims I beleive where they had a "fur" coat and there were people horrified that they would condone "killing" an animal for this.
    And was it 2 where the whole censor blur came into question and you could no longer just cheat it out. Had to wait for a mod. So things today are so much worse in some ways there always were "those people".
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top