Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tired of being babysit by a game.

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    grassharp wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with them removing this change to the trait; it was worded poorly and it can too easily be misread as being nonconsensual. That being said, the irony of outrage over a poorly-worded description of a trait change while ignoring the alien abductions/impregnations is not lost on me. If they want to have a conversation about consent in The Sims, then do it fully and fairly.

How do we know there’s no consent with alien abductions? We aren’t privy to what happens on the ship once our sim is aboard. Maybe the aliens are super charming, and kind and are capable of wooing our non alien sims quickly. Perhaps the abduction itself is the result of our E.T. loving sims being alien curious and their consent is picked up via mind probe. Why is it automatically assumed it lacks consent?

Aliens are very fast charmers. But why abduct the sims in the first place? If they are such smooth talkers why the need to abduct the sims? Anyway, I think they should just introduce the chance of sims getting pregnant from regular woohoo. And sims getting pregnant every time from Try for Baby is way too unrealistic also.

They don’t have to, your sim is perfectly able to carry on a traditional human relationship with an alien if you choose. Abductions aren’t forced you can cancel them. Maybe they beam them up and take them home to meet their parents on Sixam, and it’s our own preconceived notions that cause it to be labeled as “abductions”.

My point being, whatever happens in your game is entirely subjective and they way you interpret the goings on is solely based on your own worldview. So if you see a game action as inherently evil, that’s really on you, not the game.

I had a female sim working to be an entertainer and studying drama at university be abducted by the aliens. She had no previous contact with aliens, didn't seek them out, nor did she work in science career. There was no way to cancel the abduction, I was playing on high speed and the abduction was over before I realized what was even going on. If we're going to complain that dazed sims cannot give consent, why is it Ok for sims to be abducted? It's a matter of consent, not how we interpret the game.

Well, that’s a hazard of playing on fast forward then, because on normal speed when you hear the weird music you can cancel “check strange lights” and the abduction is over. Also sims can’t give consent, they’re pixels not people and are entirely subject to the whims, will, malevolence and benevolence of the player.

So why are they going to change the coding for dazed sims getting pregnant but not for random sims to get abducted AND impregnated? Neither consented to it.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    grassharp wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with them removing this change to the trait; it was worded poorly and it can too easily be misread as being nonconsensual. That being said, the irony of outrage over a poorly-worded description of a trait change while ignoring the alien abductions/impregnations is not lost on me. If they want to have a conversation about consent in The Sims, then do it fully and fairly.

How do we know there’s no consent with alien abductions? We aren’t privy to what happens on the ship once our sim is aboard. Maybe the aliens are super charming, and kind and are capable of wooing our non alien sims quickly. Perhaps the abduction itself is the result of our E.T. loving sims being alien curious and their consent is picked up via mind probe. Why is it automatically assumed it lacks consent?

Aliens are very fast charmers. But why abduct the sims in the first place? If they are such smooth talkers why the need to abduct the sims? Anyway, I think they should just introduce the chance of sims getting pregnant from regular woohoo. And sims getting pregnant every time from Try for Baby is way too unrealistic also.

They don’t have to, your sim is perfectly able to carry on a traditional human relationship with an alien if you choose. Abductions aren’t forced you can cancel them. Maybe they beam them up and take them home to meet their parents on Sixam, and it’s our own preconceived notions that cause it to be labeled as “abductions”.

My point being, whatever happens in your game is entirely subjective and they way you interpret the goings on is solely based on your own worldview. So if you see a game action as inherently evil, that’s really on you, not the game.

I had a female sim working to be an entertainer and studying drama at university be abducted by the aliens. She had no previous contact with aliens, didn't seek them out, nor did she work in science career. There was no way to cancel the abduction, I was playing on high speed and the abduction was over before I realized what was even going on. If we're going to complain that dazed sims cannot give consent, why is it Ok for sims to be abducted? It's a matter of consent, not how we interpret the game.

Well, that’s a hazard of playing on fast forward then, because on normal speed when you hear the weird music you can cancel “check strange lights” and the abduction is over. Also sims can’t give consent, they’re pixels not people and are entirely subject to the whims, will, malevolence and benevolence of the player.

So why are they going to change the coding for dazed sims getting pregnant but not for random sims to get abducted AND impregnated? Neither consented to it.

Because the Outrage Brigade decided to blow it up into a morality issue, and so in the interest of public relations and containment it’s apparently being changed. But the entire kerfuffle is stupid because as I said pixels can’t give or deny consent.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    You know what else your Sims didn't consent to? Burning to death in a house fire you created, you sick psychos! :D

*gasps & clutches pearls* “Why whatever do you mean sir? That fire was an accident!” *hides gas can & matches*. >:)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »
    netney52 wrote: »
    It’s been interesting seeing the comments on here compared to Twitter and YouTube on the issue. On those platforms people are saying sims should be a safe space and things like this should not be in the game. I have never thought of a game being a safe space

Well I certainly consider my saves very unsafe spaces :lol: I don't want things to be all perfectly happy and unproblematic quite the opposite

but at the same time it is very safe space in sense that it includes no other humans just me and my sims that may or may not be creeps :lol: and i control my kingdom of doom

I always take the view that without some adversity and challenges to over come, you don't fully appreciate the happy moments. How many children have been born from an oops moment and are cherished, turning an accident or drunken mistake into a wanted, happy child.

I personally think we should have the options to change a sims traits in CAS anytime we want to without cheats. We know that in real life people DO change. So why can’t we change our sims traits without cheats?

Think of a real circumstance where a person is a dog lover, but then they get bitten and are afraid of dogs.

in theory yes but i don't want game to judge when my sims personality changes and to what

because thats my number 1 problem with lifestyles

when they totally try to change my sims personality because of the way i myself am as player

like do i have sim thats supposed to be mega active and outdoorsy? yes.
    do i often end up getting them indoorsy/lazy lifestyle cause im too lazy to play them at the moment and i play other sims in household more? also yes.

I’m talking about us being able to switch traits on our sims when we would like to, not the game doing it.
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 271 Member
    I think they should just introduce the chance of sims getting pregnant from regular woohoo. And sims getting pregnant every time from Try for Baby is way too unrealistic also.
    This is something I would have liked to be added as well. I'd like for my sims to be surprised every now and then, and it would teach them to not use woohoo as a quick social and fun fix every other afternoon. That is, if the option to vomit doesn't immediately show up and reveal to me what's going on.

OnT: I was actually surprised when I learned about the alien abductions and pregnancies. Didn't think they'd dare include something that walks the line between a romantic visit to an alien resturant and a hapless Sim in a pollination pod. I assume the latter, since I don't remember my Sim gaining any alien romantic interest the one time he got kidnapped.

Personally, I wouldn't mind more stuff like this. At this point, the most dangerous things in the game seems to be a starving cowplant and malfunctioning appliances - the danger comes in the form of waterpuddles, and can send the bravest Sim running.

Or should one just accept the Sim game with its happy protective bubble, and wait for another life simulator to appear?

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited May 2021
    I play a family (made by the game, not me ) that has a mom, dad (that hates children ), a teenage son and a child daughter...... they were made that way, and I put them in a nice sized home with a nursery because I decided that when babies are freed they could have another child. In the past, the father has never shown that he “hates” children, I would like him to get a bit tense when he spends too much time around his children and their friends, but not particularly find it hard to have another child.

I have never actually made a family ( or even a sim ) with a sim that has the hates children trait myself. But I would like to see some reaction from the father of that family.that already exists in my game.

It would be nice if they would add a 10% chance ( random ) to have baby added to the game along with the try for baby one..... maybe called random try for baby.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I never have sims who hate children, so I've never run into the dazed try for baby. It's a little creepy that someone thought of that, much like a lot of mods I could name but won't.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Till now I've been too cheap to consider trying different versions of The Sims, but now I'm thinking maybe Sims 3 is protected from the twitter twits by its own obsoleteness (as in unlikely to be 'updated' because someone got triggered)
    The cake is a lie
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Put anything you like into this game. I'm offended by nothing.

I thought getting a hates children sim drunk then trying for a baby was fine. After all, it happens in real life.

Christ, I've not seen a sim die of anything else other than old age in my game. Boring!
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Is anyone else just sick of TS4 babysitting its players?

turns out hates kids trait improvement seemed " predatory" to someone and now they are taking it out...

when actually that was just to add realism and didn't increase predatory gameplay in any way because well unless player goes all the way out to make it predatory it really wouldn't be.
    and woohoo would still need same amount of consent it usually does.

it could really just be 2 sims getting juiced and forgetting they hate kids or that woohoo minus protection spawns one

and im just tired in general of this trend that everything in game must be a freaking utopia and it cancels out whole loads of stuff

like one could argue mother plant is predatory and they'd just go " oh right totally let us delete that" like um mother plant is very nice buddy if you just calm her down

one could argue " oh but sims could be killed in horrible ways so they should never die" and theyd just go "oh right let us take dying out of the game"

like I'm sick if this mentality of " if it can be used for evil it cant be in the game"

and I'm sure it will end up destroying half of the game for me because well it already has. in form of realm of magic spells being completely nerfed cause "oh no someone might want to make evil wizard" p_p
    (yes that someone is me, total creep, do flee)

I just hope community would realize that what someone does in their game doesnt need to happen in theirs and they can simply just not do it if it bothers them so much

personally i was hyped that despite hates kids sims not liking kids they might still accidentally make one and hence have to battle their dislike of kids to raise one

but now idk if they'll end up ruining the whole trait for me cause someone found that spoopy

and anyway thanks for coming to my hotheaded rant hope your nose isnt completely stuffed with peas and have a great day

The Thing is it is not just the game fault. People now are very very insensitive. Imagine if The Sims 2 was released at this time and age. It will be criticized and called as "Offensive" because they are not in full control of the game.

Seriously if you don't like a sim having to get dazed before that just don't use the trait. It is very awful. Remember alien abductions? Yeah after a month it got patch out and now it is only very very rare to happen.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Who even complained about this? I am very active in the Sims community yet I never saw anyone complain about this feature? I have seen people complain about other stuff that was never changed though.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    Wait, they're removing the ability for Sims who hate children to Try for a Baby while Dazed? That's so weird! Like, I think that feature is fine so that there is a challenge to get these Sims to have a baby with your Sim! It makes challenges much harder that way, especially the 100 Baby Challenge. I hope they add in some way to still allow our Sims to have babies with Sims who have the Hates Children trait...
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Who even complained about this? I am very active in the Sims community yet I never saw anyone complain about this feature? I have seen people complain about other stuff that was never changed though.

• BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    This had been in the game for a month and we just found out about it a couple of days ago. Up until then no one knew what they changed about the trait so it seems strange that it's suddenly so contentious. Either way it wasn't in game long enough th to miss it.

I say it was a pretty pointless feature that is not something that needed to be in the game at all. Yes I do think it's weird that a sim would have to be dazed to accept the try for baby interaction. I'm someone that doesn't like the dazed emotion at all. I think the N.A.P that involves it where they're meant to be "juiced" is pointless too. They literally just walk around looking even weirder than they do with the possessed mood. On the rare occasions when my sims experience that trait I do my best to try to get rid of it as soon as possible.

This isn't the feature to gripe over being taken out in my opinion. It was barely noticeable and didn't bring anything to new to the trait.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    This is why I always play with max AI, even for the selected sim. I rarely tell them to do things unless it's necessary, and I view those more like divine compulsions. They are still free to ignore them. If they die as a result, whelp, that's on them. lol
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    JustMeAlb wrote: »
    Till now I've been too cheap to consider trying different versions of The Sims, but now I'm thinking maybe Sims 3 is protected from the twitter twits by its own obsoleteness (as in unlikely to be 'updated' because someone got triggered)

Yes, that version is what it is and it won't change :) there are plenty of funny things that would never make it to the game if it was made nowadays. Nothing scandalous ofc, just funny little things that would be taken out of place nowadays, i believe. I have been playing it and it's a lot of fun :) if i'ld be you i'ld try it. It's the best advice i can give you :)
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    The Thing is it is not just the game fault. People now are very very insensitive. Imagine if The Sims 2 was released at this time and age

It probably wouldn't even get released
    dang imagine twitter people reacting to this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    logion wrote: »

People on twitter started complaining and got a response from the sims twitter, soon after that sims news sites and youtubers started making videos blowing the whole thing way out of proportion.
    To me it honestly feels like these people are just chasing drama at this point and I'm getting pretty tired of it. The sims team should just have changed the patch notes and that's it.

Yes, i'm getting tired of it too. Specially because maxis falls for this drama trap everytime...
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    You know what else your Sims didn't consent to? Burning to death in a house fire you created, you sick psychos! :D

Good point! Did your sim decide that they wanted their house on fire? Did your sim decide that they wanted to cheat on their SO and woohoo with the first sim on the block? Did your sim decide that they wanted to partake in the 100 baby challenge???? Hmmmmmm????

This is why Im glad for mods. If someone wants their game to be a safe utopia where absolutely nothing bad happens, that's their game. That's not my type of game though. I am 30 years old. I do not need the game holding my hand through everything, treating me with kid gloves and babysitting me. I dont need that. Honestly, alot of Twitter users need to go the heck outside.
  • BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    The only reason I could think of why people get offended over a sim with the 'hates children' trait being able to try for baby while dazed, while at the same time not talking about alien abduction pregnancies, vampires drinking blood without consent, and witches casting the Infatuate spell... is because there are no witches, aliens (like in TS4 at least) or vampires in real life. But the 'dazed while woohoo' is a very real thing and an extremely serious topic.

That being said, ^ is just me speculating reasons why people are okay with x but not x. I'm totally on the side of OP. TS4 is totally a children's game. A happy place, a rainbow land, where nothing bad ever happens and there are no consequences and no negativity because someone on Twitter might get offended.

What's next? Ban Peeping Tom? That there is the definition of a creep.

The Sims is a game, they're pixels, they don't have feelings and they most certainly cannot consent. Every action made by or allowed by the player is consented by the player only. The only person whose consent can be taken away is the player's, and in such cases it's just a matter of getting annoyed and maybe reloading the last save
    TS1299 wrote: »
    The Thing is it is not just the game fault. People now are very very insensitive. Imagine if The Sims 2 was released at this time and age

It probably wouldn't even get released
    dang imagine twitter people reacting to this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

Hahah this is great!

How times have changed... we were so much more free! So good to be a young adult in those times... ahhh the nostalgy :)
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited May 2021
    I hope you can at least still direct a Sim with the hates children trait to try for baby. In my first save, I had a Sim who hated children, but had an aspiration for a successful lineage. You can dislike the means, but desire the end result. Maybe she wanted to establish a powerful family. It is also possible to hate children, but love your own as individuals, while still being bugged by their childishness at times.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top