Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Bluelle wrote: »
    I wish toddlers in TS4 were younger. What I mean by that is

1. I wish we had to teach them how to walk instead of them instantly knowing how to
    2. They drink from bottles instead of sippy cups like in TS2 and 3
    3. I wish we at least had the option to let them sleep in cribs instead of beds. I don't like that they can get in and out on their own.

To point 3, I don't mind the beds, but, I think beds should only be available for toddlers with movement skill 4 or 5, kind of how toddlers graduate from the crib to a bed.

I agree with everything else.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member

1. I wish we had to teach them how to walk instead of them instantly knowing how to
    2. They drink from bottles instead of sippy cups like in TS2 and 3
    3. I wish we at least had the option to let them sleep in cribs instead of beds. I don't like that they can get in and out on their own.

To point 3, I don't mind the beds, but, I think beds should only be available for toddlers with movement skill 4 or 5, kind of how toddlers graduate from the crib to a bed.

I agree with everything else.

I like that idea of having beds only work if the movement skill is high enough. It makes sense, if they can only crawl then it would be hard to get in and out of bed on their own.

Agh, I just want cribs back!!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2021

I've been playing TS3 lately and the parenting is so much more involved. I miss having sims actually teach their children when I play TS4.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

I've been playing TS3 lately and the parenting is so much more involved. I miss having sims actually teach their children when I play TS4.

Yeah the closest we've got in TS4 is flash cards and "teach to walk/talk" but toddlers already know how to walk and talk, I mean sure they get better with it as they're "taught" but still. It feels very empty by comparison.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2021
    I don't care about YA female only content. I actually prefer to dress up kids, toddlers, elders and men up more. I am also not into stereotypical feminine hobbies and careers. I prefer content that isn't just in my neck of the woods too, I like to travel even in my Sims games. I also love sports which I found is unpopular in gaming communities.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    figgy wrote: »
    I don't understand why players get annoyed when the occults from the pack they bought actually shows up often. Even more so with non-occult players; if you aren't going to be using the gameplay, don't be surprised when vampires or spellcasters, or whatever, exist. Or better yet, don't buy the pack if you don't really want the gameplay.
    I still don't understand why lilsimsie won't uninstall the packs she doesn't like.

Fair enough, I understand it with a pack like Vampires, even though some people want the BB items. But I don’t for example have Get to Work because I don’t want aliens in my game. But the rest of the gameplay in GTW is non occult, so it’s kind of hard to just ‘not buy because I don’t want aliens’, because I really want the retail and careers.

I think adding a toggle for life states would help everyone. Or better yet sliders to how many of each does the game generate. Including humans. Some players don’t want many or any humans, I don’t want to bump into an alien when out and about. It’s supposed to be a dollhouse so let us choose which dolls we want in our game! Then occults don’t have to be sad when there is not enough of Vampires and realistic don’t have to complain about Vlad trespassing on their premise every night, or their sims needing to go investigate the strange light only to come back pregnant with alien baby.
    MCCC mod has nice sliders for story progression. I do agree story progressions gets out of hand especially when a pack comes out then the game wants to generate everything with the newest pack. I kind of was bummed it was brought back from the Sims 3. I never was a fan of it and prefer more tools for the game generating things too. There are some NPCs I wish the game wouldn't generate since I don't play with them anyways.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited May 2021
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    Also I think the double standards people have between the games is ridiculous, the amount of times I've seen people excusing big issues in past games and then calling 4 atrocious for trivial things is something else.

It's honestly very entertaining as I play older games as well, and I've been attacked for criticising them by the same people who call sims 4 fans "EA apologists". Like they criticise people for excusing issues in 4, and then they do exactly the same with 2 and 3.

One thing I've noticed - not just on here but elsewhere on the internet - is that people who prefer TS3 get very upset/defensive whenever someone criticises it, whereas people who prefer TS4 are perfectly aware of its shortcomings and realise it's not a perfect game.
    I noticed that with all the Sims games. Sims 4 I notice gets the most defensive responses from newer Simmers where people who have played multiple versions of the Sims accept each one has its shortcomings and strengths. I noticed Sims 4 brought a lot of toxic competitive spirit into the series that wasn't as bad as it is now. Also interesting a lot of older women tend to blame teenagers for the shortcomings of any of the Sims games. It is like no stop blaming the kids and actually leave a decent legacy for them to enjoy instead of watering the franchise so much for them it stops being fun.
    One of my most controversial opinions: i wish occults stayed out of the Sims. :D But I dont advocate for the removal of them. But if it were my choice, it wouldnt include them.
    I use it to tell Biblical stories, but yes probably why there are a lot of Simmers that play Animal Crossing too because that game doesn't have occult life states in it. Why it would be nice to have a toggle for them for storytelling.
  • marissimmarissim Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2021
    Unpopular opinion: I dislike most of the houses on the gallery due to them being "too full". I live in an apartment, and having too much in one spot makes the place look a hundred times smaller and I dislike it, so I create small to medium sized houses for my Sims that are spacious enough and moderately decorate them without overdoing it.
    Of course, gallery lots are still pretty to look at, just not nice to play in to me.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    marissim wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: I dislike most of the houses on the gallery due to them being "too full". I live in an apartment, and having too much in one spot makes the place look a hundred times smaller and I dislike it, so I create small to medium sized houses for my Sims that are spacious enough and moderately decorate them without overdoing it.
    Of course, gallery lots are still pretty to look at, just not nice to play in to me.

I agree with this. I don't own every pack therefore finding a suitable house on the gallery can be painful. Builders tend to build excessively, as if to outdo each other, when some of us like something simple. A lot of homes I've downloaded are starters.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited May 2021
    I like the houses with a lot of stuff. Though I get annoyed at builds that are so 'cool' they block off access to things - like a double bed in a space the exact side of it, so you can't actually use it, or only one sim can use it because it can only be reach from one side.

Like this one:
    wo62tty.png
    - That almost identical situation has hit me in multiple downloads. So there's my item others seem to like that I don't...

That said, I find a lot of stuff on the gallery that is too empty. Usually if I sort for newest - you get a lot of unfinished builds, which means they aren't filled in yet. And if you look at most popular - 2 or 3 rows down a lot of it's empty stuff (and downlow counts under 10, making me think this 'popular' sorting system isn't working right).

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited May 2021
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I miss having parents sims teach their toddlers basic life skills like walking, talking and potty in the Sims 4. I’ve been playing the Sims 3 lately and the parenting just feels so much more involved.

You can teach them to talk, and to potty in TS4. You can also teach them flash cards and to say please and thank you.

Yeah but it seems that there are no consequences for not doing it. I do usually teach them potty still though to make it easier on my self.

I think, though I'm not sure, that kids are more likely to wet the bed if they're not potty trained in Sims 4. I'm not sure though, as potty training is my #1 priority for toddlers.

I am really lax about potty training my toddlers, in fact in some households they only get just enough attention to keep them from being whisked away, and in all the years I have played TS4 (6) I have never ever once had a child sim wet the bed. Is that even a possibility?

I don’t get this...

Parents can teach their kids in TS4, and if you have Parenthood and raise sims from birth, they will unlock specific interactions based on traits they gain from the way they are parented. Combine that with Discover University and you can get some really unique sims. Sometimes I read these things and wonder if people are actually playing TS4, or just quickly skimming through pack content and the deciding they’re bored.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited May 2021
    My unpopular opinion is that The Sims 4 is in fact a good game, it does offer meaningful gameplay, it does contain a lot of family content, it is also great for playing young single adults and now that it’s 7 years old those who cannot see any of that should in fact move on to playing other things because this iteration is what it is and the constant moaning about it not living up to it seemingly infallible and genuinely perfect predecessors is simply, mercilessly flogging a long deceased equine.

I agree with you. I love sims 4 but i'm moving to 3. It wasn't intentional, i just tried it again in a better pc and liked it more. But the reason i'm slowly moving away isn't because i don't love 4, it's because of the bugs and of how slowly they are being taken care. A dozen of small bug fixes per month?? C'mon team, you got to do it better!
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    My unpopular opinion is that The Sims 4 is in fact a good game, it does offer meaningful gameplay, it does contain a lot of family content, it is also great for playing young single adults and now that it’s 7 years old those who cannot see any of that should in fact move on to playing other things because this iteration is what it is and the constant moaning about it not living up to it seemingly infallible and genuinely perfect predecessors is simply, mercilessly flogging a long deceased equine.

I love Sims 4.

The fact that I haven't played the others and don't want to shouldn't take away from that.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • readerbug2readerbug2 Posts: 31 Member
    > @Gordy said:
    > * On the whole, Stuff Packs are overpriced for what little they offer.
    > * Except Romantic Garden. That SP is majorly underappreciated.

Accurate. Romantic Garden is amazing, and the Wishing Well offers surprisingly complex gameplay!
  • readerbug2readerbug2 Posts: 31 Member
    Unpopular opinion: I love Strangerville. The story gameplay is fun and engaging. CAS and BB are amazing, and I use them all the time.
    edited May 2021
    I don't know if this is unpopular or not. But... I don't get why there are so many lounges, bars, and gyms.

I've been working on a plan to cut these all back to 1 or at most 2 of each, and replace them with all sorts of other lot types that are in game but unused. I figure that gives me about 57 new spots to fill in... ;)

I'm also baffled by the existence of the 'pool' lot type given that 110% of the other lots in the game also already have pools in them...

So I might zap the 'pool' in Windenburg and replace it with... a pool, that is some other lot type and has a multi-purpose build.

Then again I think my evolving "playstyle", as a still new person here, will have one 'world' full of lots I slowly fill in. Even if I ever use more than 1 save, I will likely start by copying all my custom lots in so I have my 'world' but with new people.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I really couldnt care less about sectional sofas. Actually having matching loveseats is much more important to me 🤷
    edited May 2021
    Another unpopular opinion: I have zero interest in sims that are not at least teens. I'm barely comfortable with teen sims in my save. But I've already gone through and aged up almost all of the kids in the Maxis made households. Only not finishing because I got distracted. And the primary reason I downloaded MCCC was to use a feature to disable creation of certain sim types - which I set to block kids and younger.

I've been scouting out some NSFW Mod sites in the hopes that one of their mods will have 'no kids allowed in the game' as a side feature, with whatever main features it has being things I can tolerate or disable... Some of those mods are... unusual...

I still keep seeing random sims that are kids walk by on some streets, but they're not getting saved into my household list - not even as homeless. If I could figure out a way to zap them altogether I would. I think they're in there because some premade clubs need members.

That said, I'm still thinking over the Toddler and Parenthood packs - for their other features. But wary about getting them if they'll undo my efforts to prevent the existence of toddlers and kids in my save... ;)

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited May 2021
    Oops I was on the wrong thread
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I think university is so so boring. Like mind-numbingly boring. I just played it in ts2 since I have UC and ugh. Freshman year was fun but after that I wanted out. And all the mascots and cheerleaders never leave you alone. I can't understand the craze for live playing through any school system, but if that is what you want to do go for it.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member

Jyotai wrote: »
    Another unpopular opinion: I have zero interest in sims that are not at least teens. I'm barely comfortable with teen sims in my save. But I've already gone through and aged up almost all of the kids in the Maxis made households. Only not finishing because I got distracted. And the primary reason I downloaded MCCC was to use a feature to disable creation of certain sim types - which I set to block kids and younger.

I've been scouting out some NSFW Mod sites in the hopes that one of their mods will have 'no kids allowed in the game' as a side feature, with whatever main features it has being things I can tolerate or disable... Some of those mods are... unusual...

I still keep seeing random sims that are kids walk by on some streets, but they're not getting saved into my household list - not even as homeless. If I could figure out a way to zap them altogether I would. I think they're in there because some premade clubs need members.

That said, I'm still thinking over the Toddler and Parenthood packs - for their other features. But wary about getting them if they'll undo my efforts to prevent the existence of toddlers and kids in my save... ;)

Well, kids do make messes with parenthood, but you could probably find a mod to stop that. I don’t use mods and I do have families with children in my game. But the messes can be annoying.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but maybe it is because it can be seen as limiting but i love that townies in sims 3 stick to one job and are always unavailable to group outings and dates during the real work hours of that specific job.

My sim met his girlfriend at the consignment store. He was an entrepeneur and spent a lot of time there so when he met her and they got attracted to each other it was perfect. But i had to manage time very well cause she was unavailable during the store working hours. I love this. It's challenging and realistic.

Actually i love to manage my sim's game having to consider that some stores only open at 9, festival areas open at 8 (but are there for the whole season), pubs close at 2 or 3 am, there are events happening in town at a specific day and hour...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top