Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 sounding worse everyday 😑 UPDATE 7/24/21

Comments

• WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    Well, If Sims 5 has a multiplayer component, I can't see myself paying money for it. Although if they did a giveaway like they did for Sims 4 a couple times, I'd probably get it.

And I'm a long time player started in the Sims 1. I think a lot of long term players have similar feelings.

The only online Sims 5 needs is an improved gallery that doesn't suck and maybe includes a curated selection of mods and CC. But not if that's the only mods and CC allowed.

With talking about games like Roblox, it seems they have a deep misunderstanding of what the heck The Sims is about. Multiplayer should be a side game thing, not mainline

Disappointed, but not surprised. Hopefully the Gamechangers can convince them it's a terrible idea, but I doubt it, there's no SimCity 2013 dumpster fire to force them to change direction.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited May 2021
    Well as I have long ago already stated:

If this is the direction of sims 5,
    I have no interest.

I'll just byebye.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-KmOd3i7s
    its almost ironic how well the video fits and they all dressing like ts2 townies :lol: scene at the end is clearly them escaping sims 5 to older sims games with cars in them
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited May 2021
    That's a real beautiful woman in that tweet picture though.

Anyway, the game hasn't even come out yet.
    What they don't seem to understand is that most Simmers don't want to socialize with other Simmers. The Sims has always been a solo experience. If I want to socialize with other simmers, I'll get online and chat on the game's forums. I have no interest in playing with other Simmers.

While it may not be the same idea (online) but I've often wished I could have my sims meets some of the sims from Simmers here lol.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2021
    Can I say puke? Or do I have to say may I puke? For several years people like me and Reg had told people EA was going to head down this road of using players (influencers per se, etc. etc) to build cc and sell it back to the community for a cut of the pie. It was well known EA/Maxis had this in mind at least as far back as four or five years ago. We posted interviews and articles concerning all this upcoming way to play EA games. It's long been known they want to do this to all their games, aka, create marketplaces, where they promote and favor player content then sell it to the community and rake in more dough.

It was never clear how this would work in a life simulator like The Sims, but it was well known and we told people but many said it would never happen. It's clear from the interview it certainly will happen with the next 'Sim game', since she says they are hard at work to bring that experience to the game.

This is a huge thing for multiplayers who have to level up etc. and players create some object etc. that is sold in the games to be able to reach that next level. I can see it all now, how very divisive this all will be for the Simming community. It's already enough that they promote paid content even though for years they wouldn't permit paid content such as sold by TSR for years, but openly promoted them....but tell the rest of the community paid custom content was against the TOS/EuLA but here we are where EA/Maxis has decided oh, yes, we need to favor and promote those who borrow and use others creations and promote them to sell in our games, too, and we can also rake in more cash. Rather sickening.

And even more disturbing is the fact some think there is nothing wrong with this and long gone are the days when people shouted paid sites must die, but are willing to buy, buy, buy custom creations instead of doing it for the fun and sharing. And EA/Maxis even promote it against their own Eula and TOS. Ethics out the window.

On a happy note let's take a poll of what people would want this to be in this so called 'marketplace' and how many would want to work with others to build cc and sell it to the community. How all that would work, what is the cut for EA/Maxis and or the cut for how many is in a group and how much they get paid. I have popcorn. I did that texture! No, I did that texture! No, I recolored it! No I built all the houses! No, I drew up the blueprints,..... :D

Does anyone really believe this will all work out as a happy experience even for very close friends working on something by the complaints about the gallery where if you just move furniture and redecorate a house in TS4 and reupload it to the gallery you are accused of taking credit for the build? Lol..I will need to buy a lot of popcorn if this all happens.

I guess no one but some old times remember the warring sites who fought over one site stealing other sites ideas and custom meshes etc. and claiming stuff for their own and selling them to the public. Maxis doesn't really expect people to not be backbiters do they? Surely they ought to know better. People who play Sims are just as possessive of their content as they are their Sims. It's why it's not going to turn out well. They may share something but they sure as heck want the credit even it if it was just a shade of gray out of a million shades of gray. This is why a life simulator game like The Sims will be hard to fit into a multiplayer marketplace of selling creations and or even sharing the work of those creations for pay instead of fun. There is going to be a lot of hurt feelings to go around. :D

Yes, I'm rambling, but think how it's all going to work when a player has to complain about something and no one in that group actually wants to take the credit for a bad creation. No, it was so and so's fault, not mine. Or when they start grumbling about each other and how one didn't work as hard as the other or contribute as much. Fireworks! Just read multiplayer insider sites...there is a lot of cutthroat backbiting that goes on. I hate to see that all happen to this franchise, though we know it does even between custom creators right now, and no one speaks about it. But when money/pay enters a room things will change then we get the real stories. lol
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Man....I hope this stuff sounds scarier than it actually is...
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    The only way it might be ok for me is if Simmers could make whole worlds for us to download and for our Sims to live in as they could with Sims 2 and 3 or like SimCity 4 made cities like London and others in that game. That would be acceptable if I didn't have to share playing in them with others online.

An online version might bring a sigh of relief as it would mean an end to an addiction I've had for 20 years. Sad. :'(
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited May 2021
    I read on a site that it will feature a multiplayer aspect to the game. That's fine if it is an option, but if we are forced to play in multiplayer aka similar to a MMORPG, then I'm out. I don't mind paying for a subscription to get new content, to support the game, but I want to play the game alone to continue on with my Sim story. I don't want other people in it.

Also, what about the NPCs? Are they planning on getting rid of the NPCs if this is a multiplayer game? You know, the awesome NPCs we grew to love and enjoy seeing in the Sims games. So many good NPC memories! I would much rather communicate with NPCs than a bunch of players that I don't want in my game!

Post edited by rjssim on
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    edited May 2021
    If they go the Roblox route, it's going to probably have people's custom worlds/servers on the front page sorted by popularity that you can join with your sim. They'll have something like Roblox Studio where you actually create your worlds. For those that aren't familiar with Roblox, that's how this works. Except the worlds are people's custom games or your own. You can set these games public or private.

They have a marketplace you purchase clothing, accessories, and different animations from. There used to be ways to earn in game money to get these things, but not anymore. It's straight up real money that you pay that converts to in game currency.

As far as the studio goes, you can get free meshes and asset's that other people made but also import your own from blender. You can create your own clothing and hairs but you have to subscribe to a monthly subscription to do it. You can then upload your custom designs, and people can purchase them from the marketplace, the creators make money from it but I don't think it's much.

Just figured I'd give you all the low-down in case this is what's to come. Roblox used to actually be a decent platform to find cool games made by others within the engine it's built on. It's all pay to win now and is just riddled with microtransactions.
  • Pallies656602Pallies656602 Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2021
    I have been playing for 20 years now. It is obvious that EA doesn't care about their old fanbase anymore. They want a new fanbase with young people (read 13/14 years and it started already with sims 4) who are growing up with playing online games and seemingly have lots of money to spend on games then most of the adults do.
    If Sims 5 is going to be what they are saying then it is the end of the line for me. No sul sul but bye bye EA.
  • magic_cat_treemagic_cat_tree Posts: 292 Member
    My only concern is - will they stop producing sims 4 content once sims 5 is up? Because I'll happily continue to play sims 4 forever
    Drummer in Seize The Day
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    edited May 2021
    It doesn't totally surprise me that they are going this route with Sims 5. When I've looked at what other games EA has, they seem to have a heavy preference for online multiplayer competitive type games. Sims 4 really stands out from that crowd as a weird game for them to be making. So making the Sims into an online multiplayer game would probably be in-line with their overall vision for their company. However, for me personally, multiplayer games with no offline single player option have no appeal. So if MMO is the choice they make for Sims 5, I won't be playing.

From the way reps of the company have sounded in this and previous interviews, I think they also are confusing two things somewhat. Sims players do like talking with each other about the game (online forums), and being able to share specific creations (gallery). But that does not necessarily mean that Sims players want to actually play together.

If they do go (as it sounds) to a fully online multiplayer style game, it will be interesting to see whether they gain enough new fans to make up for the existing fans they lose.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited May 2021
    "doing it collaboratively."

The Sims 2/3 Exchange, TS4 Gallery, CC and Mods exists, we share the sims, houses, clothes, objects and cheats.

The next level : Share the stories and the lives.
    • "Share the stories" could replace the Story Progression (NPC townies) instead of letting an AI handle it.
    • "Share the lives" like TSO or it could be a teamwork for challenges like MMO RPG.
    MMO RPG like SWTOR do not force the player to play together, single player is still possible.

But if you dislike multiplayer then that gives a very good reason why TS4 should still exist for years to come.
    edited May 2021
    "doing it collaboratively."

The Sims 2/3 Exchange, TS4 Gallery, CC and Mods exists, we share the sims, houses, clothes, objects and cheats.

The next level : Share the stories and the lives.
    • "Share the stories" could replace the Story Progression (NPC townies) instead of letting an AI handle it.
    • "Share the lives" like TSO or it could be a teamwork for challenges like MMO RPG.
    MMO RPG like SWTOR do not force the player to play together, single player is still possible.

But if you dislike multiplayer then that gives a very good reason why TS4 should still exist for years to come.

I'm pretty sure collaboratively in this case means players building and or making something together. Yes, players have been doing this for years such as projects over on MTS site. However, there was never a charge to other players, and one submitted your lots (if you joined a project) and accepted or not accepted for any world they worked on together etc. Or you posted your stuff and tagged it as for a particular project going on at the time. In this case, that would all be sort of backwards and it seems to me this would all be done online on a server (if it were building worlds and or lots or whatever, collaboratively) so that each person in the 'group' could do something together while chatting and creating something. Then EA adds it to the game list of things to buy and it's sold for money or perhaps by a goal, but I'm pretty sure to EA a marketplace means money not a reward purchase.

This goes on in many MMOs and MMORPGs and the fights are real on their forums. I doubt EA/Maxis can borrow ideas from something like from Roblox and will have to invent their own way of a marketplace for the game. This was all in an interview about S.E.E.D. and other projects of magnitude EA has been building for several years.

Maxis' Second Life.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Man....I hope this stuff sounds scarier than it actually is...

The Sims Online was a horrible place for those who didn't wield any power.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2021
    @Cinebar A lot of what you just said reminds me of roblox. It's the only online multi-player I currently play so I'm quite familiar with it lol.
    Players create the games, clothes and items we buy. But it's a mess of constantly copying eachother and reporting. So things are always being deleted for copying daily. But there is literally so many copied duplicate things it's ridiculous.
    Then you have the stuff constantly deleted from moderation. Like players are always trying to make sassy adultish looking outfits (though i dont see how a tiny square lego block can look sassy🤣🤣🤣) which is fine as it was always a kids game. But imagine if they try to moderate the things people make in the sims to keep it T rated like too short of a skirt or something like second life. Because if they have people making stuff in the "marketplace" it's going to be strongly regulated and moderated. Right now I just pretty much grab any cc I want for free without a care because no one even sees it but me.

And I agree simmers are "very" possessive over their sims and builds.
    I would like to say this may not be the direction they are headed but they literally mentioned "roblox" I can't get over that line🤣🤣

I still don't think they would be crazy enough to make it totally online without single player options but I can't see it being the ts2/ts3 combination everyone wants AND a great multi-player. And with the gallery always glitiching and down for maintenance I can't imagine how efficient the servers will be... hmm...🤔
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    @Cinebar A lot of what you just said reminds me of roblox. It's the only online multi-player I currently play so I'm quite familiar with it lol.
    Players create the games, clothes and items we buy. But it's a mess of constantly copying eachother and reporting. So things are always being deleted for copying daily. But there is literally so many copied duplicate things it's ridiculous.
    Then you have the stuff constantly deleted from moderation. Like players are always trying to make sassy adultish looking outfits (though i dont see how a tiny square lego block can look sassy🤣🤣🤣) which is fine as it was always a kids game. But imagine if they try to moderate the things people make in the sims to keep it T rated like too short of a skirt or something like second life. Because if they have people making stuff in the "marketplace" it's going to be strongly regulated and moderated. Right now I just pretty much grab any cc I want for free without a care because no one even sees it but me.

And I agree simmers are "very" possessive over their sims and builds.
    I would like to say this may not be the direction they are headed but they literally mentioned "roblox" I can't get over that line🤣🤣

I still don't think they would be crazy enough to make it totally online without single player options but I can't see it being the ts2/ts3 combination everyone wants AND a great multi-player. And with the gallery always glitiching and down for maintenance I can't imagine how efficient the servers will be... hmm...🤔

It would be nice if they went back to furnishing the tools for players to build their own worlds or even share them, edit their own towns etc. Build and create their own custom floors, walls and recolors or textures of Maxis objects. Those things were expanded for players (the tools) from TS1-TS3. However, TS4 lacks any such tools from Maxis to be able to expand those tools or even use them (CASt as an examle). But I fear this 'marketplace' is just as bad an idea as I saw on mmorpg sites years ago and read the fights, lol. I think one was WOW and the other was NWN where people were actually calling out people on their forums calling them names and such and or dissing on each other and trying to downgrade an item for sale (WOW) can't remember. It made me shutter to think how many problems money caused when things were no longer 'free'.

Then I do recall visiting the infamous TSO, and never going back, lol. Full of those who monopolized the properties and were in control of most of the game.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yeah I would like to hear Maxis take on this matter, Laura Miele seems like a nice person but she doesn't work for Maxis... I really wonder if Roblox is Maxis inspiration for their next sims game.

I wish they could interview someone from Maxis instead.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    If they go the Roblox route, it's going to probably have people's custom worlds/servers on the front page sorted by popularity that you can join with your sim. They'll have something like Roblox Studio where you actually create your worlds. For those that aren't familiar with Roblox, that's how this works. Except the worlds are people's custom games or your own. You can set these games public or private.

They have a marketplace you purchase clothing, accessories, and different animations from. There used to be ways to earn in game money to get these things, but not anymore. It's straight up real money that you pay that converts to in game currency.

As far as the studio goes, you can get free meshes and asset's that other people made but also import your own from blender. You can create your own clothing and hairs but you have to subscribe to a monthly subscription to do it. You can then upload your custom designs, and people can purchase them from the marketplace, the creators make money from it but I don't think it's much.

Just figured I'd give you all the low-down in case this is what's to come. Roblox used to actually be a decent platform to find cool games made by others within the engine it's built on. It's all pay to win now and is just riddled with microtransactions.

Nice breakdown. Yes I enjoy a few games on there but the pay to win and in your face microtransactions totally kills it. And anyone who has played a few games on there knows they never stop reminding you constantly that you should buy something. Like literally popping up all over your screen😆😆😆😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    edited May 2021
    logion wrote: »
    Yeah I would like to hear Maxis take on this matter, Laura Miele seems like a nice person but she doesn't work for Maxis... I really wonder if Roblox is Maxis inspiration for their next sims game.

But she's over the studios so normally what they say goes. It's like when the person wouldn't green light any projects from studios unless they held an online component. That's how we wound up with Sim City 2013. Then he wouldn't take responsibility for the backlash and blamed Lucy Bradshaw over Maxis, and Maxis blamed EA for wanting a MMORPG. :o

Just think, sparked can become the game. If anyone watched the first episode of another Maxis failure, we can look forward to that being the game next time. Wow. And we saw even there players were not happy with each other's ideas and or approaches and this 'togetherness' is all for the birds. I'm betting if we pulled one or two aside and got their real opinion we would find out how much they disliked each others work on that.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

But she's over the studios so normally what they say goes. It's like when the person wouldn't green light any projects from studios unless they held an online component. That's how we wound up with Sim City 2013. Then he wouldn't take responsibility for the backlash and blamed Lucy Bradshaw over Maxis, and Maxis blamed EA for wanting a MMORPG. :o

Yeah it would be too bad if we would end up with another Sim City 2013 scenario. Laura have said that they have learned from previous mistakes and are going to let studios have more creative control...so we will see how that goes. Hopefully Maxis have some say in the matter, unless they want their next sims game to turn into Roblox.
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    Then forget about SIms 5 & play your favorite version. It’s Sims 2 & 3 for me. Sims 2 is the best game ever, IMO.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Yeah it would be too bad if we would end up with another Sim City 2013 scenario. Laura have said that they have learned from previous mistakes and are going to let studios have more creative control...so we will see how that goes. Hopefully Maxis have some say in the matter, unless they want their next sims game to turn into Roblox.

Well, can we even trust developers and the creative director and the head of Maxis to even understand their core fanbase anymore? Look at what they have been doing with The Sims 4 these past seven years. SV, kits, slap happy half baked mermaids, an island with no underwater gameplay, or visuals, no animations for babies, fits thrown to at least build a toddler, etc. There is so much they decided to do with TS4 all we have to do is look at the evidence to know if we can trust Maxis not to go down the Roblox road.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    I play with mods, but I won't buy them, Bethesda created a service for mod makers to sell their mods for Skyrim, I never used it. If a mod I was using went from free to having a price I stopped using it. I am also afraid that any multiplayer they put into the game may make modding the game the way I like to impossible. Like someone else above stated, I don't want anyone telling me what I can or cannot have in my Sims game. I have and will only ever play the Sims as a single player game. The more I hear about what they are planning for the Sims 5 the more I think I won't be continuing on with the Sims series.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I feel like I‘m going to regret talking badly about Sims 4 once 5 is out.
    edited May 2021
    I can't get past the word 'marketplace'. lol In reference to Roblox it's my understanding that is a producer outfit that has been around for ages but doesn't pay people (developers) to work for them but you pay to have them help you publish your stuff and games. Is that right? You take their classes, I assume the person pays them for that, and pay them (they get a cut) of whatever it is you create. I mean I looked at some houses people built with no understanding of what would I do with it, and why would I buy it. For what game? lol Unless I was building a world full of houses why would I buy other peoples builds? there is no correlation on some of this stuff over there. Then there are games you can download created my individuals and groups but who do you go to get things fixed if it doesn't work correctly? And it's real money. It's like Google Play store apps. Anyone, I guess, can do anything. Good for learning code I guess. I know it is now growing and making Roblox money but I really don't understand how Maxis would want that to be part of The Sims games. Unless they get a huge cut of whatever somebody makes.

That's my problem with this whole marketplace idea, no longer a game you want to play but to develop which could be fun but then they wouldn't have to hire a lot of developers would they if they are getting the stuff from players for free. :o Just build a game where the players do all the work but what about those of us who want Maxis to do the work, lol. I guess it would be ok for those who need a hobby and or want to make money and fame instead of immersing themselves in a game but branch out into developing stuff. That is interesting to some I suppose. I like to make stuff, too. But I don't ever intend to make money on it and I find all that very distasteful really. I'm an odd ball, I guess. I guess the players can look forward to building their own kits for $5 per hit. Oh, wait, EA has to get some of that don't they and the tax man.. and where I live the internet guy, and the state tax guy, and the local tax guy, and probably some more I forgot about.