Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Try Before You Buy?

Comments

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    [
    Also if it is two weeks that's great, most Sims 4 packs give me less than two weeks worth of fun so it's perfect 🤷

Just curious. Are you playing with any packs that you could disable and not miss the gameplay at all?

Yeah there's quite a few (but mainly stuff packs) Snowy escape, university, outdoor retreat, moschino, bowling night, backyard stuff and spooky stuff. I wouldn't disable them having bought them, but if they were on a trial I wouldn't really be bothered about buying them to have for longer
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Checked in game by disabling a pack, and that pop up does come up so it's real. Saves could possibly be glitched if your sims are living in a world that no longer exists but otherwise it should just be a case of a few bald sims and replacement items when a pack trial ends

What about careers, skills, traits, aspirations? Even if your sims don't live in the deleted world, there would still be a lot of references left to missing stuff and gameplay.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    If the trial is 14 days, then that's very generous. That's nice of them to let someone try out a pack for that long.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I think they're betting on people becoming invested in the gameplay after two weeks.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I don't know about this. I'm worried about hackers being able to take all the assets and turn them into CC for free. I mean they are already doing that now, but I think they would have to buy the DLC first? I hope there is some way Maxis can protect their work from the hackers and make it less easy for them to do that.

• Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    With the locking save file feature (guessing this is for the pack trials), I wonder if there will be a feature to enable/disable packs for specific save files. There are save files I play where I completely ignore some of the packs, so having the option to disable them completely in certain save files would be fantastic. Kind of like what Sims 3 has in its launcher.
  • Options
    I don't know about this. I'm worried about hackers being able to take all the assets and turn them into CC for free. I mean they are already doing that now, but I think they would have to buy the DLC first? I hope there is some way Maxis can protect their work from the hackers and make it less easy for them to do that.

I'm pretty sure you can't play pirated content on origin, and it sounds like a lot of work to take everything in a pack and convert it to CC, and even then, the person using it would probably have to buy the pack anyway... People have made mods with the bicycles from DU for example but they don't work without the pack.
  • Options
    logion wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you can't play pirated content on origin, and it sounds like a lot of work to take everything in a pack and convert it to CC, and even then, the person using it would probably have to buy the pack anyway... People have made mods with the bicycles from DU for example but they don't work without the pack.

Modders are honest people who take a DLC item to modify it in some way for use in the game - they're not trying to break any security on it. Hackers on the other hand aren't. If a DLC item is converted to CC, then the game is not going to recognize it as a hacked DLC item. That's what hackers do.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Modders are honest people who take a DLC item to modify it in some way for use in the game - they're not trying to break any security on it. Hackers on the other hand aren't. If a DLC item is converted to CC, then the game is not going to recognize it as a hacked DLC item. That's what hackers do.

That sounds like normal piracy to me, if people are making pirated packs then I don't think offering trial packs are going to change that, in fact, offering a trial could maybe encourage more people to try out packs instead of pirating them.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    This just seems too good to be true. There's gotta be a catch. Unless this is how they want to test packs from now on... Instead of having the devs test the pack, now the community can do it for free :/
  • Options

That sounds like normal piracy to me, if people are making pirated packs then I don't think offering trial packs are going to change that, in fact, offering a trial could maybe encourage more people to try out packs instead of pirating them.

It's just making it easier for hackers though since they won't even have to pay for the DLCs, that's what I'm talking about. Also, if a person downloads pirated packs, they're not going to buy the real thing.

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Why don't they just replace the missing contents with the Base alternatives like they did in Sims 3?
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I think they're betting on people becoming invested in the gameplay after two weeks.

Agreed. On top of the content, attachment to the saves as well. (Sure you can have spare saves and a potential way to remove the DLC content, but the popup mentioning possible corruption will scare some people into purchasing packs.)
  • Options
    RenegadeSimmerRenegadeSimmer Posts: 21 Member
    14 days is surprisingly long for a trial period. I doubt I would be using this feature. I usually just watch y favorite Youtubers to help me decide what packs to get next :smiley:
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member

I don't know man, I think regardless if the content is there or not, free or paid, there will always be someone who pirates it and redistributes it for free. I think giving out a free demo option ultimately helps customers make an informed choice whether the pack is for them or not rather than blindly purchasing the pack and hoping it's good without the added hassle of needing to refund if you don't like it.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    And it starts.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/989379/try-city-living-free-for-the-weekend#latest

Discussion moved to general since it's no longer speculation.

It's kind of sad though (and desperate like their free giveaway of the basegame). I don't recall any other iteration before 4 that ever needed to do this. Another indication that it's not doing as well.

• Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,918 Member
    And it starts.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/989379/try-city-living-free-for-the-weekend#latest

It's kind of sad though (and desperate like their free giveaway of the basegame). I don't recall any other iteration before 4 that ever needed to do this. Another indication that it's not doing as well.

How about TS2UC free giveaway?
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I doubt it means they are not doing well lol if anything it gives them more customers. I saw tons of people on twitter getting it already and asking questions about it. Many of those people are going to want to continue after the trial is over and will purchase. Those who don't, don't. I see it as a win win for EA and simmers. They get more sales long term on one end, and on the other end simmers don't have to complain about buying a pack they didn't like. B)
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    figgyfiggy Posts: 179 Member
    I'm pretty sure they are testing the free trial on City Living, but in the future will do this for new packs. It would make sense that way.
    simming since 2000┃origin: daFigg ┃radiohead-head, potterhead, doodie-head
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    And it starts.

Many games these days have free weekends, so it's more like keeping up with the trends. At least TS4 packs don't take more than the weekend to download.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I wonder if they'll do a try it before you buy for the Next Gamepack and Expansion Pack.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited May 2021
    This is great for those who want to try out a pack for a little longer. Because I buy my TS4 packs on origin, one of their return policies is that refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game.

I utilized the origin return once when I purchased ROM; I wanted to see if it was contained in its own world along with aspects of the gameplay. But, it wasn't so I returned it--no fuss no muss.

I own everything (including all 3 kits) except for ROM, Vampires, Paranormal or Spooky Stuff—yet, I'm very pleased with all my purchases and would not return any of them. 😊
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    This is great for those who want to try out a pack for a little longer. Because I buy my TS4 packs on origin, one of their return policies is that refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game.

I utilized the origin return once when I purchased ROM; I wanted to see if it was contained in its own world along with aspects of the gameplay. But, it wasn't so I returned it--no fuss no muss.

I own everything (including all 3 kits) except for ROM, Vampires, Paranormal or Spooky Stuff—yet, I'm very pleased with all my purchases and would not return any of them. 😊

I have all the packs. Some aren't my cup of tea like Realm Of Magic but because it has the Glenbrooke World it's a must have. I don't generally play with witches. I buy all packs whether their to my liking or not cause there is always something they have I like if it isn't anything but CAS or Buy Build Mode plus I'm a completist.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »

When did Origin start letting people return DLC, it was not possible a few years ago. Only the base game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.