Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @SnowBnuuy I had no idea you were on console, hats off! I don't know what I'd do without my mods :smiley:
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    @ThePlumbob It's not too bad for the most part to be honest. TS4's console port, for me, has been the best one so far (in terms of similarity to the PC version). It did take some getting used-to with the controls but other than that it's alright. If I had access to CC or cheats I'd be tempted to cheat through every challenge because I'm terrible XD
    they/them or she/her
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    okay back now. a few video games needed updates too. like more than1 they weren't huge but like sims4 i lie to make sure they work.
    they/them or she/her
    ack i got a redo all my mc settings cuse of todays update.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    This was great as usual.
    I loved the scene between the brothers. You really captured some of the added difficulty of growing up in our technological world. Amy is so much fun! I really should build a robot.
    @telemwill Thank you so much ;_;
    Yeah I feel like sometimes
    Ollie’s paranoia sometimes has a point. I haven’t played a servo properly so it’ll be fun to see how it goes!

they/them or she/her
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    I had an observation come up in my game that has me questioning how to write the next part of my 100 plums story.
    It deals with something that I don't think I can actually mention on this website so I'm not sure how to go about asking advice on it. I try to let the little things the sims do really lead the story and conversations. But this one observation has me intrigued. Like how do I deal with complicated relationships. Do I need to shift my thinking and translate it as something else?
    Shadami wrote: »
    I had an observation come up in my game that has me questioning how to write the next part of my 100 plums story.
    It deals with something that I don't think I can actually mention on this website so I'm not sure how to go about asking advice on it. I try to let the little things the sims do really lead the story and conversations. But this one observation has me intrigued. Like how do I deal with complicated relationships. Do I need to shift my thinking and translate it as something else?

according to one of my new mods relationships are complicated. i say go for it. according to cathtea i tuck with comedy til ayden threw me in to drama.

me i don't care what elsa did your stayng married

ayden bite me you started it. which was true. me now i'm ending it and your staying married.

then he threw up. he loves winning arguments.

opps slight tangent i canblame that on cattea too. she showed me what it meant.

but i say go for it cause sometimes its the best writing.
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    And adding to the reading list there's a new chapter of Sim 66 as well. Geoffrey Landgraab exerts his influence over the League of Decency in chapter 99 Agenda.

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2021/04/chapter-99-agenda.html

FDcGibV.png
    @Shadami If you think you can work it into the story somehow, then I say roll with it. There's a lot of parts of my current project which have popped up as a result of the game's Moodlets and Sentiments system. If it's a topic you don't think you can handle, I'd say your best bet is to do some research on the topic if it's possible so you can get a more accurate outlook on the topic; maybe look at others' IRL experiences with the same thing you're planning to write or something similar.
    they/them or she/her
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    How's my day? Pretty good. I got a vaccine (and didn't even cry!), an energy drink, takeout, and a vegan key lime cheesecake.

How's my simming? Well if you play TS3 then I finally did you a favor with six new dresses. Download them before you sit here too long and catch me ranting about the death of TS3 Maxis Match, but hey, I'll do my part in bringing it back.

I'm out of lurker mode and making comments again. Haha.

Hey this is cool! @InfraGreen. I actually loaded up TS3 last weekend to play some just for kicks and giggles. It got me thinking about the endless CC parade I used to do... collecting, not creating. But serious respect to folks who create! Thanks for sharing.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    MadameLee wrote: »
    what's the difference between a dream and a goal?

@MadameLee Good question.

I would say a dream is something that is an ideal scenario/situation or a desire or something you would like to achieve or have in the future (the someday). It's your big picture or your end achievement. (i.e. I dreamed of making a difference in the world through my work by using my skills, talents, and abilities).

A goal is a specific short-term or long-term measurable task that you can reasonably accomplish and achieve. I would say you achieve goals on the way to achieving dreams. (i.e. I chose graduate school as a way to help redirect my life path - long term goal, and completing classes and making connections were my short term goals to help me achieve the big goal of graduating and the dream of working in a job that I love that makes a long-term impact and difference in my community).

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Shadami wrote: »

@Shadami I like to roll with what the game throws me. I find the Sims tend to tell me what they want or need (I do use mods to help) if I'm paying attention. Of course, as a plot-driven writer, I already have a plan in mind, but sometimes I let things go astray because it's fun to "partner" with the game in a way and let the Sims co-author their story.

In terms of dealing with complicated relationships, I don't know what your specific scenario is, BUT...

If it's a matter of knowing what to write or if you can write something, usually for me, it's a matter of letting go of preconceived notions or ideas based on my own personal preferences and experiences, I am still learning how to do this. I like to think I'm an accepting person, but I don't always feel comfortable writing certain 'scenarios' a) because I'm a noob at it, and b) I don't want to seem insensitive since I don't have that particular experience. At the same time, I do like to stretch myself and challenge myself to think outside my own box. If you know someone with that experience, sometimes it helps to bounce ideas off them and ask for their advice.

If it's a matter of knowing how to write something, then, I jot down my questions and my options for the story and try to plot a path. For example, in my updated notes for my La Vita Bella story, which will get a rewrite eventually, someday, :sweat_smile: , where Bella had a couple different choices for relationship outcomes. I wrote down each option and the consequences and benefits of each, and possibly how her choices would affect other people involved. Then I did similar things for the "choices."

Then I had to make a choice: pick the option that sounded most logical, pick the convoluted path to throw the readers and add some mystery, or pick the safest choice. I actually still have yet to make my final decision, but sometimes it helps me to fall back on Occam's Razor (simplified: the simplest answer is often the right one). And you can still add mystery and surprise the readers if you apply some creativity and planning to it.

If you're talking about how to 'safely' write something in SimLit and promote it here when it may not be G or PG, then you have a couple choices. a) don't include it and ignore the subject material, b) write what you want, but don't promote/link it here (if folks follow you on your blog or another social platform, they can still find your content), or c) write about it but exercise caution (i.e., include trigger warnings, use tasteful imagery, get creative with word choice to allude rather than writing explicit content). I usually opt for c in my stories.

Without knowing your circumstances in game, I could be completely off base in all my suggestions here. Haha.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    what's the difference between a dream and a goal?

@MadameLee Good question.

I would say a dream is something that is an ideal scenario/situation or a desire or something you would like to achieve or have in the future (the someday). It's your big picture or your end achievement. (i.e. I dreamed of making a difference in the world through my work by using my skills, talents, and abilities).

A goal is a specific short-term or long-term measurable task that you can reasonably accomplish and achieve. I would say you achieve goals on the way to achieving dreams. (i.e. I chose graduate school as a way to help redirect my life path - long term goal, and completing classes and making connections were my short term goals to help me achieve the big goal of graduating and the dream of working in a job that I love that makes a long-term impact and difference in my community).

@AdamsEve1231 thanks for replying to this question. I only was asking because I was trying to figure it out for application package question. Since Mom and I have a "vitural meeting" next Tuesday with a DSO worker for two packages. She send me the package via email afterwards and I been working on answers last week for one part and two questions-one was about dreams, and the other goals.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    If anyone wants to know how my day's been good. I did have an argument with my parents last night. It was over the fact I wanted Dad to buy Bubbly sparkly water so i can start getting used to it. But it turned into an argument- how its unfair they get to have chocolate every night vs. I have to wait till Fridays. Or the fact I want Rice Krispes (or Nesquik) cereal in the house or wanting to have Crispers crackers(?) or Quaker's rice cakes in the house. Mom just yelled at me saying I should go and do it myself but she wouldn't even let me burrow her bundle buggy for the mall with day-program when it happens. I can't excatly carry 1 box of Bubbly cans, 1 box of Rice Krispes cereal, and a package each of Crispers and Rice Cakes on my own

rant's over
    6adMCGP.gif
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    @Shadami

Hi Shadami

I'm echo-ing @AdamsEve1231 'c' option (tasteful imagery, allude than depict explicitly). I've liaised with two GMs for the longest time in getting my story approved for the forums and the advise I got is pretty much everything AdamsEve suggested in option C.

As to my two cents on this:
    Like how do I deal with complicated relationships. Do I need to shift my thinking and translate it as something else?
    Your own personal interpretation of any scene you have in mind is just as valid as anyone else's interpretation. There is no absolute truth to a situation and depending on which angle you perceive, it can hold multiple truths. So if you're worrying about lack of experience or info, you could read up/talk to someone as suggested. But if your worry stems from thinking you might interpret a scene 'wrong', just go for it. If anything, it'll simply spark a discussion. Personally I think SimLit (cough *life*) is like art. We can all look at the same picture with different lenses and appreciate its multiple meanings and each other. :)
    But if your worry stems from thinking you might interpret a scene 'wrong', just go for it. If anything, it'll simply spark a discussion

This is a good point actually!

My current project deals with something I have not experienced for myself, so I’m relying on reading from good sources, reading others’ experiences, and from my knowledge and what I’ve seen second-hand in the experiences of past and previous loved ones as well. I think sometimes it’s better to get it out there, than to not write it out of fear of messing it up or whatever if that makes sense.

they/them or she/her
    @Shadami

Hi Shadami

I'm echo-ing @AdamsEve1231 'c' option (tasteful imagery, allude than depict explicitly). I've liaised with two GMs for the longest time in getting my story approved for the forums and the advise I got is pretty much everything AdamsEve suggested in option C.

As to my two cents on this:
    Like how do I deal with complicated relationships. Do I need to shift my thinking and translate it as something else?
    Your own personal interpretation of any scene you have in mind is just as valid as anyone else's interpretation. There is no absolute truth to a situation and depending on which angle you perceive, it can hold multiple truths. So if you're worrying about lack of experience or info, you could read up/talk to someone as suggested. But if your worry stems from thinking you might interpret a scene 'wrong', just go for it. If anything, it'll simply spark a discussion. Personally I think SimLit (cough *life*) is like art. We can all look at the same picture with different lenses and appreciate its multiple meanings and each other. :)

Hey good to see you @mercuryfoam. I like your idea about sparking conversation. I haven't always pleased my readers and that's okay. The respectful dialogue that ensues gets me to think and gets others to think. That's the ultimate goal of art, isn't it? To engage the brain and the heart? :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Hey good to see you @mercuryfoam. I like your idea about sparking conversation. I haven't always pleased my readers and that's okay. The respectful dialogue that ensues gets me to think and gets others to think. That's the ultimate goal of art, isn't it? To engage the brain and the heart? :)

I agree! I get lost in museums for ages because each piece is a journey on its own.

I'm not sure what you mean by pleasing your readers but Kass, Gage, Ayesha, Davis, (everyone in KCLKF really) are so unapologetically themselves without trying to please anyone and that's really what's great about your characters. I agree with you that respectful dialogue is precursor to a healthy exchange. Definitely something I'm working on since subscribing to an idea and executing it are completely different. :lol:

It's great hearing from you! I hope you find time to write again. :smile:
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Everyone's advice certainly helps a bunch, thank you.

It's just an odd subject I didn't expect to come up because of how I usually interpret one of the looks sims give as one of attraction and love. I think because of who it is, I will need to shift it to adoration but not in a romantic way.
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    Good afternoon, everyone!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top