Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Occult VS Family, Which Do You Think Should Get New Packs?

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'd accept a family generations type pack expansion or an occult game pack but don't like werewolves at all. I we do get them I hope the pack comes with more occults as well like fairies and genies rather and the option to turn them off in Options.

It would have to have fantastic build/game objects for me to buy it for those alone if it were just werewolves. If it contained zombies that's me out.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,566 Member
    Why can't we have both? The devs let on that Sims4 is by no means 'finished' as far as its run goes, so that leads me to think there's more to come. I think if they balance out the packs, everybody can have what they're hoping for. Personally, I prefer family play, but I wouldn't want that to deprive others of their Occult play.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I think people should stop turning it into a competition between the two, they release like 5 packs every year, it's pretty easy to get both in. Occult packs aren't "blocking generations" any more than the 30 other packs in the game which aren't generations, but people only seem to have an issue with the occult ones. There are literally 4 packs for occults in the entire game after nearly 7 years, they aren't the problem and I'm just so bored of people blaming occult players for the lack of generations and preaching that people shouldn't be allowed occults because -- playstyle is more important.

Imagine if I started raging at the idea of generations because "fairies are more important", because "you can already have families but not fairies", and it's been 7 years of waiting so my playstyle is obviously more important. It would be ridiculous, because generations fans are not to blame for the lack of fairies and I can appreciate that they've also waited years for the packs they want.

It's not a competition between the two, they can add both. Plus, they basically already confirmed generations so I'm not sure why people are getting so bothered by the possibility of an occult as well...

Ive always found it curious when people say "we need this pack because its more important!" Well what exactly makes one pack "more important" than another pack? Why exactly do we need xyz pack NOW? Why should one pack not exist in favor of another pack? I'd like an answer for curiosity sake, with all personal bias completely set aside.

If someone doesnt like occult packs, that's fine. But I dont see how one pack appearing completely prevents another pack from making an appearance. It makes absolutely no sense to me. :D I know it sucks that a new pack comes out and it isnt what you're hoping for, but it doesnt mean there wont be any pack that is what you're looking for. Me personally, I wasnt crazy about any pack in 2020 until Snowy Escape came out.

Sorry to be bursting some bubbles here but no one's playstyle is "more important" than someone else's playstyle. There shouldnt be like a hierarchy of playstyles with some themes getting priority and other themes getting little to no attention. Who even decides something like that anyway? It's weird as heck.

On topic, though I will always root for more occult shenanigans, I wouldnt say "absolutely not!" to packs focusing more on family life. I raise families both human and occult and I'd be more inclined to play kids for more than an hour if there was more stuff for them to do. (I'd love it occult kids could actually do some occult things)

It's not really that strange I think. You buy a game and want your play style supported. There is nothing wrong with that. The problem with The Sims is that it can go in so many directions. If you buy a shooting game you are just a jerk when you complain there is no racing in it. But you can say you really hate occult and don't want it in The Sims without being a jerk. I can also understand people wanting the game nothing but occult. I don't think you can ask somebody to let go of their "fear" ;) of the occult and embrace it. More gameplay for others does mean no gameplay for me. There must be something you never want to see appear in the sims, there has to be. Now picture that entering the sims and everybody liking it. >:)

• Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    edited April 2021
    Out of those options I would take an occult pack even if I STRONGLY believe that babies need a complete overhaul from scratch. But what I REALLY want is Expanded Forgotten Hollow. But who cares what I want besides me.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Antwerpo wrote: »

But that sentiment is based on not being able to provide bug free stuff from the start? I'm new to this communities so I don't know the frequency at which packs are being delivered but let's say they have 2 packs a year. Why not make that a big pack (super expansion packs) Get two themes in there and don't deliver half arsssed stuff. It's just an example on frequency because I don't want people to think I want less packs ;)

I believe the reason that will never happen is because EA would lose out on a ton of money by only offering 2 packs a year. They like to split it all up into many lackluster packs so people keep craving more content and will continue to buy everything.

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    “Versus”?

Versus shouldn’t exist.
    As much of everything as possible for every play style. That’s how I would like to look at it. I don’t care when or when.
    As long as occult sims are first. 😜

I mean..let’s talk about babies since we’re always talking about babies:

What’s so interesting in carrying around babies unless there’s a good reason to carry ‘em some place?
    Why would you carry a baby anywhere unless you’re trying to protect it from something? Right?

“Oh but Captain from what?” you ask.

Well, I’m glad you ask. From WEREWOLVES little Smootchie Poo.

*lights cigar*

From those darn WEREWOLVES...

YES Captain! :lol:
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member

But the reason I wanted to make a topic about normies vs occults is because I'm a bit blown away about the passion of both sides. Why not please everyone and put normie gameplay in occult packs and vice versa?

Not an option. Mixing the two will only get us half arsssed normies and half arsssed occults.
    Look at Get to Work & Island Living compared to Vampires. Half arsssed vs more in depth.
    (Am I allowed to say half arsssed? It’s how we speak over here. Otherwise I apologize .)

Anyway Folks just gotta be more patient and do something else in the meantime. A lot of normie players just want to have the occults stuffed in as half arsssed as possible, just to get it over and done with. And then they’ll complain and ask to get the heeel nerfed out of those occults:

“I don’t want the werewolf to eat me sheep.
    They’re ruining me pretty little cabbage garden. Please get rid of the werewolves in MY farm pack.”

That’s right. Occults are the ones to suffer the most. It just doesn’t work. Occults need their own pack. After that we can talk about toggles.

I’m sure everybody will get what they kinda want at some stage. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But that sentiment is based on not being able to provide bug free stuff from the start? I'm new to this communities so I don't know the frequency at which packs are being delivered but let's say they have 2 packs a year Why not make that a big pack (super expansion packs) Get two themes in there and don't deliver half arsssed stuff. It's just an example on frequency because I don't want people to think I want less packs ;)

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do bugs. The problem lies with people who hate occults and don't want them in their game, buy the optional occult dedicated packs anyway because they just have to have that beautiful sofa. And then they go on to complain about how the occults are "ruining" their game even though they knowingly bought an occult themed pack knowing they would hate the gameplay. And as a result, the devs cave into their temper tantrums and nerf the heck out of our beloved occults to the point that they're barely even noticeable anymore.

Vampires, while still very well done are now basically normal sims who wear fancy costumes and sometimes his a lot, and Spellcasters are banished to only practicing magic in their own realm unless the player explicitly directs them to cast spells (which should be happening autonomously by default in a magic themed pack if you ask me.)

And considering this happens with the occult themed packs, which the anti-occult gang aren't even being forced to buy, can you imagine what would happen if every occult was just a random side feature shoved into the "normal" packs?

I mean, one girl who bought Paranormal Stuff literally asked the devs to tone down the ghostly activity because her sims "couldn't get anything done" despite the fact she was living on a Haunted House lot. And when someone helpfully suggested she just change the lot type, she said "I want to play with the lot type, but the ghosts are too intrusive."

So yes, @CAPTAIN_NXR7 hit the nail on the head when saying that occults need their own pack. But I only want to entertain the idea of toggles if it means our occults will be unnerfed and allowed to live up to their full potential.

As far as frequency goes, the schedule tends to vary. About it seems to be about 5 or 6 packs on the average (excluding kits).) Now as far as the "ratio" between normal vs occult packs well...

Occult players are lucky if we get ONE pack every (2) years, which normally falls on odd years (2015, 2017, 2019, and now 2021) Sometimes we get lucky and may get 2 occult life-states, but usually one is shoved into an EP as a side feature.

Normies on the other hand get about 4 to 5 packs EVERY year. And a good number (not everyone, there is indeed a number of respectable normies in the bunch) tend to losing their minds whenever something the slightest bit nearing occult is announced, or even speculated to be announced.

I remember people raging on the forums and twitters when Paranormal Stuff was speculated to be released (as in, before it was even confirmed) despite the fact that at the time, the last bit of occult content was Realm of Magic, which came out in 2019. And this was over a mere stuff pack. Granted, Paranormal is a really well made stuff pack that actually provides a lot of gameplay for the price it's being offered at, but considering it doesn't even introduce a new lifestate, a lot of occult fans are unsure of whether or not to classify it as being a "real" occult pack and are worried that this might be the only occult related content we receive this year.

And now with the hints and speculation that either Werewolves or Faeries may be coming this year, a lot of us are excited (since we'd likely have to wait until 2023 otherwise) and the family players are all up in arms, claiming that occult players are getting "everything" and that that occult gameplay already beats out family gameplay even though that's not true. (Again, not all family players, but a good number of them.)
  • Options
    Onverser wrote: »
    I think people should stop turning it into a competition between the two, they release like 5 packs every year, it's pretty easy to get both in. Occult packs aren't "blocking generations" any more than the 30 other packs in the game which aren't generations, but people only seem to have an issue with the occult ones. There are literally 4 packs for occults in the entire game after nearly 7 years, they aren't the problem and I'm just so bored of people blaming occult players for the lack of generations and preaching that people shouldn't be allowed occults because -- playstyle is more important.

Imagine if I started raging at the idea of generations because "fairies are more important", because "you can already have families but not fairies", and it's been 7 years of waiting so my playstyle is obviously more important. It would be ridiculous, because generations fans are not to blame for the lack of fairies and I can appreciate that they've also waited years for the packs they want.

It's not a competition between the two, they can add both. Plus, they basically already confirmed generations so I'm not sure why people are getting so bothered by the possibility of an occult as well...

Ive always found it curious when people say "we need this pack because its more important!" Well what exactly makes one pack "more important" than another pack? Why exactly do we need xyz pack NOW? Why should one pack not exist in favor of another pack? I'd like an answer for curiosity sake, with all personal bias completely set aside.

If someone doesnt like occult packs, that's fine. But I dont see how one pack appearing completely prevents another pack from making an appearance. It makes absolutely no sense to me. :D I know it sucks that a new pack comes out and it isnt what you're hoping for, but it doesnt mean there wont be any pack that is what you're looking for. Me personally, I wasnt crazy about any pack in 2020 until Snowy Escape came out.

Sorry to be bursting some bubbles here but no one's playstyle is "more important" than someone else's playstyle. There shouldnt be like a hierarchy of playstyles with some themes getting priority and other themes getting little to no attention. Who even decides something like that anyway? It's weird as heck.

On topic, though I will always root for more occult shenanigans, I wouldnt say "absolutely not!" to packs focusing more on family life. I raise families both human and occult and I'd be more inclined to play kids for more than an hour if there was more stuff for them to do. (I'd love it occult kids could actually do some occult things)

YES! @InuMiroLover @Onverser both of you nailed it, and I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll admit that I've fought back against some family players, but it was only because they specifically called out occult-play or occult-players in some way or another.
    And I, in no way blame family players for the lack of occults in the game.

If anything I just blame the occult-haters who buy occult packs and then complaining about them ruining their game for the occults getting nerfed, because all packs are optional and if you hate the theme that much, just don't get the pack... it' not that hard. And if you do buy the pack... don't complain that the theme the pack is centered around is "intrusive."

I don't know who needs to hear this but most of us occult players aren't against more family play. Not in the least. It's just given the choice between the two of them, we would prefer more occult play.

And while it's not one of my top priorities as far as DLC goes, I wouldn't mind a Generations pack. Sure it's not my preferred style of gameplay, but I do hope it gets made for those who want it. Chances are there will probably be something I can use in it, but even if there isn't, that's totally fine. I'm not the only person who plays this game and I don't need every pack dedicated to me. All I want is, if for some reason the next pack is occult, please just don't start raging and going on about how we "don't need anymore occults." If the next pack would be Generations or similar, I'm not going to rage about it. I may be disappointed for a day or two if it doesn't seem like something I'll use, but after that, I'll move on and wait for the next pack. All I ask in return is for that same respect.
  • Options

But the reason I wanted to make a topic about normies vs occults is because I'm a bit blown away about the passion of both sides. Why not please everyone and put normie gameplay in occult packs and vice versa?

Not an option. Mixing the two will only get us half arsssed normies and half arsssed occults.
    Look at Get to Work & Island Living compared to Vampires. Half arsssed vs more in depth.
    (Am I allowed to say half arsssed? It’s how we speak over here. Otherwise I apologize .)

Anyway Folks just gotta be more patient and do something else in the meantime. A lot of normie players just want to have the occults stuffed in as half arsssed as possible, just to get it over and done with. And then they’ll complain and ask to get the heeel nerfed out of those occults:

“I don’t want the werewolf to eat me sheep.
    They’re ruining me pretty little cabbage garden. Please get rid of the werewolves in MY farm pack.”

That’s right. Occults are the ones to suffer the most. It just doesn’t work. Occults need their own pack. After that we can talk about toggles.

I’m sure everybody will get what they kinda want at some stage. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But that sentiment is based on not being able to provide bug free stuff from the start? I'm new to this communities so I don't know the frequency at which packs are being delivered but let's say they have 2 packs a year Why not make that a big pack (super expansion packs) Get two themes in there and don't deliver half arsssed stuff. It's just an example on frequency because I don't want people to think I want less packs ;)

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do bugs. The problem lies with people who hate occults and don't want them in their game, buy the optional occult dedicated packs anyway because they just have to have that beautiful sofa. And then they go on to complain about how the occults are "ruining" their game even though they knowingly bought an occult themed pack knowing they would hate the gameplay. And as a result, the devs cave into their temper tantrums and nerf the heck out of our beloved occults to the point that they're barely even noticeable anymore.

Vampires, while still very well done are now basically normal sims who wear fancy costumes and sometimes his a lot, and Spellcasters are banished to only practicing magic in their own realm unless the player explicitly directs them to cast spells (which should be happening autonomously by default in a magic themed pack if you ask me.)

And considering this happens with the occult themed packs, which the anti-occult gang aren't even being forced to buy, can you imagine what would happen if every occult was just a random side feature shoved into the "normal" packs?

I mean, one girl who bought Paranormal Stuff literally asked the devs to tone down the ghostly activity because her sims "couldn't get anything done" despite the fact she was living on a Haunted House lot. And when someone helpfully suggested she just change the lot type, she said "I want to play with the lot type, but the ghosts are too intrusive."

So yes, @CAPTAIN_NXR7 hit the nail on the head when saying that occults need their own pack. But I only want to entertain the idea of toggles if it means our occults will be unnerfed and allowed to live up to their full potential.

As far as frequency goes, the schedule tends to vary. About it seems to be about 5 or 6 packs on the average (excluding kits).) Now as far as the "ratio" between normal vs occult packs well...

Occult players are lucky if we get ONE pack every (2) years, which normally falls on odd years (2015, 2017, 2019, and now 2021) Sometimes we get lucky and may get 2 occult life-states, but usually one is shoved into an EP as a side feature.

Normies on the other hand get about 4 to 5 packs EVERY year. And a good number (not everyone, there is indeed a number of respectable normies in the bunch) tend to losing their minds whenever something the slightest bit nearing occult is announced, or even speculated to be announced.

I remember people raging on the forums and twitters when Paranormal Stuff was speculated to be released (as in, before it was even confirmed) despite the fact that at the time, the last bit of occult content was Realm of Magic, which came out in 2019. And this was over a mere stuff pack. Granted, Paranormal is a really well made stuff pack that actually provides a lot of gameplay for the price it's being offered at, but considering it doesn't even introduce a new lifestate, a lot of occult fans are unsure of whether or not to classify it as being a "real" occult pack and are worried that this might be the only occult related content we receive this year.

And now with the hints and speculation that either Werewolves or Faeries may be coming this year, a lot of us are excited (since we'd likely have to wait until 2023 otherwise) and the family players are all up in arms, claiming that occult players are getting "everything" and that that occult gameplay already beats out family gameplay even though that's not true. (Again, not all family players, but a good number of them.)

But I do understand why people hate the occult packs. When I bought The Sims 4 there was a sale on bundles. So I bought a bundle containing vampires. Back then the game wasn't as finished on consoles as it was today so I shelved the game after playing the game a few hours only to return to the game a few weeks ago. In the beginning I was surprised there were mentions of vampires in the conversation commands and on the computer. Then Vlad showed up, That's when I realized it was because of the small pack I got with the bundle.

That really bothers me and it's just only one occult pack. The reason why it bothers me is because you can't play a game without vampires. I don't dislike the idea of playing with vampires but that would be another story (my saves are called stories). If not for vampires be annoying when you want to play a game without the occult I would have bought the other occult packs as well. Knowing that one occult pack breaks the game for me prevents me from buying the other ones. Once you have them you can't disable them without deleting your game on console and installing it again. Too much work if you want to try a game with one of the occults.

I look at the occult packs as packs I would like to play but I can't buy them or I ruin all the other gameplay I love. They should really fix that and I guess nobody would complain anymore about occult packs as they would not interfere with the gameplay no more.

Both sides Occult and normies need to team up. The packs are not the problem, it's the way you have no control over the packs that is the problem.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

But I do understand why people hate the occult packs. When I bought The Sims 4 there was a sale on bundles. So I bought a bundle containing vampires. Back then the game wasn't as finished on consoles as it was today so I shelved the game after playing the game a few hours only to return to the game a few weeks ago. In the beginning I was surprised there were mentions of vampires in the conversation commands and on the computer. Then Vlad showed up, That's when I realized it was because of the small pack I got with the bundle.

That really bothers me and it's just only one occult pack. The reason why it bothers me is because you can't play a game without vampires. I don't dislike the idea of playing with vampires but that would be another story (my saves are called stories). If not for vampires be annoying when you want to play a game without the occult I would have bought the other occult packs as well. Knowing that one occult pack breaks the game for me prevents me from buying the other ones. Once you have them you can't disable them without deleting your game on console and installing it again. Too much work if you want to try a game with one of the occults.

I look at the occult packs as packs I would like to play but I can't buy them or I ruin all the other gameplay I love. They should really fix that and I guess nobody would complain anymore about occult packs as they would not interfere with the gameplay no more.

Both sides Occult and normies need to team up. The packs are not the problem, it's the way you have no control over the packs that is the problem.

This is so irritating. Use the toggles provided in game.
    And you are complaining about the vampire text in conversations and on the computer. A toggle would turn off vampires spawning but I highly doubt it could banish forever all signs of their existence in text. At some point you just have to accept that a pack called 'vampires' is going to mention 'vampires'. I don't find your complaints of the text at all reasonable.
  • Options
    CelSims wrote: »

And you are complaining about the vampire text in conversations and on the computer. A toggle would turn off vampires spawning but I highly doubt it could banish forever all signs of their existence in text. At some point you just have to accept that a pack called 'vampires' is going to mention 'vampires'. I don't find your complaints of the text at all reasonable.

This is so irritating. People that don't read the entire story and then highlight some words and say they are irritated. Oh I can get so upset by such people. >insert drama emoji<

But I'll explain it again for you. I bought a few years ago a bundle. Did not play it enough then, tried it again. Forgot I bought vampires, and notice all that occult nonsense in my Sims game now that I have played it longer than a few hours.
  • Options

This is so irritating. People that don't read the entire story and then highlight some words and say they are irritated. Oh I can get so upset by such people. >insert drama emoji<

But I'll explain it again for you. I bought a few years ago a bundle. Did not play it enough then, tried it again. Forgot I bought vampires, and notice all that occult nonsense in my Sims game now that I have played it longer than a few hours.

I don't need it explaining. It's quite clear what the issue is. You bought Vampires.
    I'm so sorry that a bit of text is so intrusive. In the real world you will also see references to vampires, I personally would write off the in game computer references as one of those oddball internet websites and simply ignore the option with an eye roll. Do you think having conversation options that you can simply not choose to use is too invasive? NPC sims will never use them.
    One thing that you may not know since you didn't play for a while is a new addition to doors. Click on your front door for the no trespassing options and you will be able to prevent vampire break ins from occurring on that lot. Not that they actually happen any more. Too invasive.
  • Options

I don't need it explaining. It's quite clear what the issue is. You bought Vampires.
    I'm so sorry that a bit of text is so intrusive. In the real world you will also see references to vampires, I personally would write off the in game computer references as one of those oddball internet websites and simply ignore the option with an eye roll. Do you think having conversation options that you can simply not choose to use is too invasive? NPC sims will never use them.
    One thing that you may not know since you didn't play for a while is a new addition to doors. Click on your front door for the no trespassing options and you will be able to prevent vampire break ins from occurring on that lot. Not that they actually happen any more. Too invasive.

Well you clearly need a lot of explaining as you don't seem to understand what people are saying and just answer with prejudice. You seem to assume I don't know how to lock doors. I know you can lock the door. >insert irritated emoji<

Yes text mentioning Vampires is very annoying. Every time I'm confronted with it I'm remembered how stupid it was to buy a bundle just because it made the City Living I wanted cheaper. I'll never be so stupid again to buy a bundle.

Again EA is missing sales because I would have bought other occult DLC if it was not so intrusive to my normal gameplay.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    they should focus more on family gameplay to be honest as a player and keeper super natural life states out of the sims game but thats my toughs as a player
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options

Well you clearly need a lot of explaining as you don't seem to understand what people are saying and just answer with prejudice. You seem to assume I don't know how to lock doors. I know you can lock the door. >insert irritated emoji<

Yes text mentioning Vampires is very annoying. Every time I'm confronted with it I'm remembered how stupid it was to buy a bundle just because it made the City Living I wanted cheaper. I'll never be so stupid again to buy a bundle.

Again EA is missing sales because I would have bought other occult DLC if it was not so intrusive to my normal gameplay.

I was trying to be helpful, the trespassing option is new and separate from door locking. It prevents the break in trigger happening at all. As you mentioned you had not played in a long time this seemed like possibly useful information.
  • Options

I was trying to be helpful, the trespassing option is new and separate from door locking. It prevents the break in trigger happening at all. As you mentioned you had not played in a long time this seemed like possibly useful information.

In that case, thank you for trying to be helpful. I appreciate people who are helpful :)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Back on topic, a thing severely lacking is game play for occult family players. My sim can only use scruberoo on her toddler because I have a mod for it. And other than casting delicisio to feed the little monsters, that's pretty much it for family game play.

I'm currently playing a household which is 2 spellcaster adults with 1 vampire/caster hybrid child, 1 caster child and 1 caster/mermaid hybrid, (good job fixing hybrids being a thing btw). There is nothing to distinguish my play from my human households until they hit teen.

Well, I forget one thing, the casters can have a totally useless familiar that they can't even talk to. Why can't they practice magic? Where's the hilarious animation of a child trying to conjure a toy and getting accidentally turned in to a frog for a while? Maybe have toddlers waving a toy wand round and having sparks coming out of it? Doesn't have to be much, just some thing. It makes me sad every time I take a caster child into CAS and they taunt me with their CAS spell casting animation.

As for vampire families. I have these plasma sucking fiends parenting perfectly normal human children. What? Wouldn't you expect some kind of behaviour or hint that these angelic little beings are actually a bit different? And don't get me started on feeding them. Forget telling your vampire parent to go get leftovers because without fail they will eat the human food instead of getting the plasma salad or plasma bags. And children will inevitably grab the parents food.. can we at the very least make vampire toddlers and children able to eat plasma salad without getting sick, so that we don't have to have two different types of food in the house? Or fix the stupid autonomy that makes them choose the inappropriate food every single time.

Post edited by CelSims on
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Back on topic, a thing severely lacking is game play for occult family players. My sim can only use scruberoo on her toddler because I have a mod for it. And other than casting delicisio to feed the little monsters, that's pretty much it for family game play.

I'm currently playing a household which is 2 spellcaster adults with 1 vampire/caster hybrid child, 1 caster child and 1 caster/mermaid hybrid, (good job fixing hybrids being a thing btw). There is nothing to distinguish my play from my human households until they hit teen.

Well, I forget one thing, the casters can have a totally useless familiar that they can't even talk to. Why can't they practice magic? Where's the hilarious animation of a child trying to conjure a toy and getting accidentally turned in to a frog for a while? Maybe have toddlers waving a toy wand round and having sparks coming out of it? Doesn't have to be much, just some thing. It makes me sad every time I take a caster child into CAS and they taunt me with their CAS spell casting animation.

As for vampire families. I have these plasma sucking fiends parenting perfectly normal human children. What? Wouldn't you expect some kind of behaviour or hint that these angelic little beings are actually a bit different? And don't get me started on feeding them. Forget telling your vampire parent to go get leftovers because without fail they will eat the human food instead of getting the plasma salad or plasma bags. And children will inevitably grab the parents food.. can we at the very least make vampire toddlers and children able to eat plasma salad without getting sick, so that we don't have to have two different types of food in the house? Or fix the stupid autonomy that makes them choose the inappropriate food every single time.

This is definitely why I dont spend alot of time with occult families. I do when the mood strikes, but its rare I have occult kids stay in the kid stage for long. What is the literal point when occult kids cant do anything in relation to their heritage? I especially have a problem with spellcaster kids. Im fine with them not having full access to their powers, but sheesh I would have loved it if their parents could have tried teaching them simple magic, kids playing with their parent's wand or even if kids performed a spell to make a toy appear. If kids could actually do some occult things, I'd be more inclined to play them with alot more regularity. But if occult kids are going to act exactly like human kids, then why even designate them as occult in the first place?

And also why cant familiars fulfill social need? I thought this was the strangest thing when I played my first spellcaster. Being able to have a conversation with it should seem like such a basic thing.
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited April 2021
    Family 110%. Family play should have been in the base game, but EA keeps selling it in parts to us with TS4. The least they can do is flesh it out more. Sims don't get interesting until they're young adults because there's nothing particularly unique with the previous life stages.
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    I assume most of players play Sims legacy style. Not necessary the challenge itself but the frame - evolving family which is the gameplay foundation. And so occult sims as many noted here in the end also have families. That's why I think generational type add-on would be beneficial for all players. For me Generations are certainly a priority. But I'm also hoping to see all occults which were represented in previous games appearing in TS4 as well (and some existing reworked...).
  • Options

Except occult activity should be "intrusive" or what I would call the NORM in an occult specific pack. That's the whole reason that occults were given their own packs in the first place. So that players who want occult activity could play with them fully fleshed out and not have to seek everything out on their own. If it's an occult pack, the occult activity should be the default.

That's like me saying Parenthood should be less intrusive when it comes to parenting or correcting kids/teenagers/toddlers when they do something wrong, or that laundry is too intrusive in Laundry Day and that there shouldn't be so many references to it.

I get that you made a mistake when you bought the bundle and I'm sorry you had that experience, but occult activity should be the default (or what you call "intrusive" in an occult themed pack. Period.

• Options
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    I assume most of players play Sims legacy style. Not necessary the challenge itself but the frame - evolving family which is the gameplay foundation. And so occult sims as many noted here in the end also have families. That's why I think generational type add-on would be beneficial for all players. For me Generations are certainly a priority. But I'm also hoping to see all occults which were represented in previous games appearing in TS4 as well (and some existing reworked...).

Well I'm apparently not most players then. :lol:

I hardly ever play with families period (except for pets, which a lot of Sims have) and I play with aging off as well. That said, although I wouldn't get much out of a Generations themed pack, I do hope it comes for those who will get use out of it. I just hate the comments that are like
    "we need Generations, not more occults." Like no, we need both. One is not more important than another, it's just a matter of the individual player's priority.

So thank you for not being one of those people, and recognizing the need for both. :smile:
  • Options
    CBSSDHCBSSDH Posts: 20 Member
    Although I personally prefer building I think what the sims 4 is lacking compared to say the sims 3 is the gaps in the age differences. I think a lot of people would really benefit from a more generation style. We could always use another occult, but there are a lot of people who will not touch them after the initial hype wears off. With a generations they could add a tween and senior citizen age to fill in the gaps of some of the most loved life stages. Part of what made me love the sims 3 was having the elders use canes, teens go to prom, the daycare profession, they could even add retirement homes for those of sims who want to be able to visit elderly sims and that can be a career where you would have to tend to the needs of the residents. Another reason I think we shouldn't get a new occult sim: I believe a few of the existing ones could use some tweaking to make gameplay more entertaining. But this is just my opinion if we had to choose :)
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited April 2021
    If the simple fact I would never use anything from a occult pack or ever buy one again after buying Vampires and all the content that could be fun about having a vampire not being there the T for teen rating for this game feels like toddlers not teens to me cant even hunt a vampire its pretty pathetic.

So yeah give me family play we have not had a real family pack since 2017 though we have got a few things like parents being able to sled down the hill in snowy escape I'm more so needing more every day stuff. Also we have had many occults added over the years as well but the last time a missing life stage was added was toddlers and I'm still needing real babies and preteens as bad as some are needing fairies and werewolves to enjoy their game.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I want werewolves in My game , so for Me it would be the Occult one, :)