Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Desktop Question.

February11February11 Posts: 12,609 Member
Each time I open Origin I'm getting the option to test drive the EA Desktop. I downloaded it, but got too scared to install it in case it interfered with Origin - which I doubt is the case. I'm just overly cautious when it comes to anything stopping my game play!
Has anyone tried it, if so what do you think?
Does anyone know when or if the change over will happen?
Having read all the spiel on the test drive notification in Origin, it sounds like we don't have to change to the EA Desktop, we will still be able to use Origin, is that correct?
MLgj4Vx.png

Comments

• BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    You can use either/or just not have both open at same time. I have used the new one a number of times.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,609 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    You can use either/or just not have both open at same time. I have used the new one a number of times.

And is it better, or would it be just as easy sticking to Origin?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I have both at the moment, they're much the same though EA desktop is just a prettier version of Origin. It's great if you have separate accounts though, my Sims 3 game is on one account and my Sims 4 game on another, so now I just have EA desktop signed into my Sims 4 account and Origin for my Sims 3 account so I don't have to keep swapping between them anymore
    That sounds handy.
    I did look at the interface online and it all looks pretty similar.
    I'm going to test drive it on my old laptop first.
    Would it be wise to uninstall Origin if I choose to use EA?
    MLgj4Vx.png
    Sorry I took a bit but Onverser summed it up pretty good. I am keeping both for now especially since the new one is in BETA. And I agree not much different but I am leaning towards the desktop one.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    Sorry I took a bit but Onverser summed it up pretty good. I am keeping both for now especially since the new one is in BETA. And I agree not much different but I am leaning towards the desktop one.

Okay, that's good to take onboard.
    I guess I'll just keep using Origin until we have to make a definite decision, but I will familiarize myself with the EA one in the meantime.
    Thanks for your replies.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    You are welcome. Just a heads up. I play sims 4 from the Beta one without a problem. However when I tried to add 3 it comes up with an error.
    I went back to Origin original and then couldn't get it to load at all (3). I am currently repairing it so hopefully will have my game back. Its taking a while.
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    So to update my sims3 has gone. I still have copy in my documents but the main folder that was in Origin has disappeared. I can click on it (Origin) and it goes to start as in opens launcher. But when I hit play again it tries then fails. Too late here to work on it anymore so may look at it tomorrow. Hate to have to uninstall again. And repair game didn't work. It says it downloads everything again but I sure can't find it. LOL At least 4 is fine.
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    You are welcome. Just a heads up. I play sims 4 from the Beta one without a problem. However when I tried to add 3 it comes up with an error.
    I went back to Origin original and then couldn't get it to load at all (3). I am currently repairing it so hopefully will have my game back. Its taking a while.

These are the problems I don't want to run into. I don't update TS4 any more, and like most people stopped TS3 at what ever patch that was before the last one.
    I have the horrors of installing the EA one, and have no control over everything updating- which I know is really silly, as when I got my newer laptop, when I installed Origin on that I disconnected the internet so that wouldn't happen to TS3.
    Good luck with repairing your game.
    I t
    MLgj4Vx.png
    So to update my sims3 has gone. I still have copy in my documents but the main folder that was in Origin has disappeared. I can click on it (Origin) and it goes to start as in opens launcher. But when I hit play again it tries then fails. Too late here to work on it anymore so may look at it tomorrow. Hate to have to uninstall again. And repair game didn't work. It says it downloads everything again but I sure can't find it. LOL At least 4 is fine.

I wonder what went wrong there?
    Do you have to go through Origin/EA, or can you use your disks still? I still use a disk when I play TS3, I've never ran it through Origin.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited April 2021

I tried opening Sims 3 from Origin again myself and found it didn't open up with the Launcher whereas it did before so you might have to download it from Origin again as Origin seems to have changed where they put games now. There's one large folder in Documents but the main one is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games, Could you try putting in the code number to redeem it or show it to a techie there who could sort it out for you?

It actually works better now but I don't play it as it doesn't recognise my Store buys. (It also recognised my gaming laptop's high resolution and 144 fps.)

edited April 2021
    I got 3 back up and running on Origin. Haven't added my saved games in yet. Still won't download on the Beta desktop. My main has always been in Origin games C: location. And always one in documents. On the Beta it says I own Sims 3 but when I try to download it errrors out. "Unable to install
    There was a slight hiccup and we couldn’t finish installing Game Name Unavailable. Restart your PC and try again."

And it also doesn't show the expansions , dlc etc. I think I will just leave it for now and just stay with Origin. Hoping when I put back my saved games it will work. If not i guess I start all over again. LOL

Oh and I also noticed launcher problems but when game did open via Origin it also recognized my resolutions so didn't have to re do that.
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    edited April 2021
    So everything is working fine or you with Origin, but something got messed up through EA?
    I wonder if this is a common problem.
    I found this. I don't know if you have already seen it.
    https://help.ea.com/en/help/ea/ea-desktop/troubleshoot-game-download-install-load-issues/
    MLgj4Vx.png
    edited April 2021
    Origin is fine now (finally). I couldn't put my saved games back but at least its playable again. I did send my error message to desktop so maybe they can help with that issue. Was weird because on desktop it showed me owning Sims3 but then says name unavailable. LOL I'm sure there will lots of glitches to straighten out.
    Plus the fact even where it did say "download" there was only the option for base and 1 addon?

Sims 4 downloaded just fine for the Beta but I think I will stick with Origin for now. I do have my discs for 3 so thats an option as well but for now its playing again on Origin.

Thank you for the link. I hadn't seen it but had tried most of their options. Take Care!
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    I think you have to download sims 3 through origin, but after that, you can launch it through EA Desktop. I recommend that you keep both Origin and EA desktop installed, in case of any technical issues.
    Yes I have it on Origin. The error is with the EA Desktop..
    Another peeve is as soon as I open Origin it starts downloading all my sims 4 dlc even though all are installed.
    I think its just becoming a hot mess. I think I will go uninstall Origin then reinstall. Not sure if going to reinstall the Beta.
    Luckily I can still play my games.
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion