The Modern Menswear Kit is available now! Picked it up? Head on over to the Screenshot thread to show off your new creations here
December 3rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

Censored language indicator

«1
Not being a native English speaker I don't know what is considered foul language and what is not. I guess the definition on this forum is very broad as some words seem impossible that they are words no one should ever utter :D But I do understand why that is. However every time I post something it looks like I'm swearing and have a filthy mouth. Can't this be done in real time so a bad word is highlighted once you typed it?

Comments

  • CororonCororon Posts: 3,704 Member
    I agree! If the words that would otherwise be censored would be highlighted while you're writing then you'll have a chance to change your wording before posting. Sometimes innocent words are censored on forums because there are letters that form a "bad" word inside normal words or names, and then they are censored by mistake. :smile:
    1Gzb37g.jpg
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,058 Member
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?
    Origin ID : ChazzzyGOAT
    Recommended Mods : http://chazzzygoat.tumblr.com
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,519 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    I think it's just asking for clarity what the censor will cover before you post. Also lots of words are appropriate in the English language but this site still censors it. Besides, OP is not a native speaker so there may be context missing on some words.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

    FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

    Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,058 Member
    edited April 27
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    I think it's just asking for clarity what the censor will cover before you post. Also lots of words are appropriate in the English language but this site still censors it. Besides, OP is not a native speaker so there may be context missing on some words.

    But this website is for the English language. If someone is new or unfamiliar with the English language, why should the website have to adapt to them? Shouldn't they adapt to the website? Context is important and if you struggle with understanding context related to common and polite English allowable for teens, how is that anyone else's responsibility but your own?
    Origin ID : ChazzzyGOAT
    Recommended Mods : http://chazzzygoat.tumblr.com
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited April 27
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    I think it's just asking for clarity what the censor will cover before you post. Also lots of words are appropriate in the English language but this site still censors it. Besides, OP is not a native speaker so there may be context missing on some words.

    But this website is for the English language. If someone is new or unfamiliar with the English language, why should the website have to adapt to them? Shouldn't they adapt to the website? Context is important and if you struggle with understanding context related to common and polite English allowable for teens, how is that anyone else's responsibility but your own?

    Because the Sims belongs to an international audience and welcomes them as well. OP is not asking for the website to adapt to them, or even change the requirements for the censor. Theyre just asking for a live censor to preview their comment before posting so they don't have to go back and edit.

    There are English words I used in the proper context and still the censor blocked my word. Even using a rhyming word to describe what I meant was also against forum rules. Its a word describing a part of black hair so it was especially frustrating being censored. But Had I known perhaps what the censor would allow and disallow, I wouldnt have needed to return to the comment again and again to reword my sentence so that the censor would let me pass.Even discussing the censor is against forum rules so this comment will probably be deleted or this thread closed soon.

    When you learn a language, its important to learn context. But there's only so much you learn from books or videos. It takes real time practice with native speakers, in the case, that's us. And you have to expect there may be mistakes and be forgiving. Im a native speaker in English and there's probably words I wrote in this reply that is grammatically incorrect/mispelled, but thats fine too. It's good to be patient and understanding. I think you're bringing up a sepreate issue from what the OP is asking for anyways.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

    FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

    Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 3,284 Member
    edited April 28
    I agree.
    1. It’s an international forum.
    2. Whether you’re a native speaker in English or not, the text censoring system algorithms on this forum are way too hypersensitive in the first place.

    A live censor would be good solution but it won’t tell us why something is considered a bad word. Not that it should (no need to confuse the poor kids around here) but I do think the algorithms need to be optimized.

    I believe the censoring system on this specific forum is tuned to US derogatory terms even though some of these words aren’t necessarily seen as offensive in other English speaking countries.
    My second language is English (my first is BS 😜) ....what I’m really saying is that even though I’m from an English speaking country outside of US, I’m completely flabbergasted by some of the words that are censored on here.

    It’s a heart-shaped madhouse for crying out loud.
    Werebeasts-v02.jpg
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    No I don't want the website to teach me what is appropriate in English. I want to know what the website thinks is offensive because words are censored that can't possible be offensive. If you type the place where the devil lives it get's censored.
  • SprottenhamSprottenham Posts: 460 Member
    I think getting a heads up before pressing the publish button would be a good idea, if possible. I've had words censored in my posts that I thought wouldn't be censored, and it actually made it look like I wrote something worse than what I actually did.

    Story threads in the creative forum:
    The people of Simbria - mostly game/Sim driven. A multi-town storyline.
    The Red Winged Angels - mostly plot driven. A tad supernatural...
    That sure is a sorry name for an angel.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 1,676 Member
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    No I don't want the website to teach me what is appropriate in English. I want to know what the website thinks is offensive because words are censored that can't possible be offensive. If you type the place where the devil lives it get's censored.

    That is actually somewhat offensive as it is considered a swear in the US. From my experience it is lower tier, but kids aren't supposed to say it.
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 28
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    No I don't want the website to teach me what is appropriate in English. I want to know what the website thinks is offensive because words are censored that can't possible be offensive. If you type the place where the devil lives it get's censored.

    That is actually somewhat offensive as it is considered a swear in the US. From my experience it is lower tier, but kids aren't supposed to say it.

    Really? I was really confused why it was censored, that exact word was why I made this topic. So how do they tell religious kids where they end up if they don't behave? :D
    I think getting a heads up before pressing the publish button would be a good idea, if possible. I've had words censored in my posts that I thought wouldn't be censored, and it actually made it look like I wrote something worse than what I actually did.

    Exactly this. It always looks like I'm saying something very offensive whilst it is not offensive in the sentence used.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,290 Member
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    No I don't want the website to teach me what is appropriate in English. I want to know what the website thinks is offensive because words are censored that can't possible be offensive. If you type the place where the devil lives it get's censored.

    That is actually somewhat offensive as it is considered a swear in the US. From my experience it is lower tier, but kids aren't supposed to say it.

    Really? I was really confused why it was censored, that exact word was why I made this topic. So how do they tell religious kids where they end up if they don't behave? :D

    Heck. As in, you can go to heck, if you don't like it. See how polite that sounds? :wink:
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

    we all try ...
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 28
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    I think it's just asking for clarity what the censor will cover before you post. Also lots of words are appropriate in the English language but this site still censors it. Besides, OP is not a native speaker so there may be context missing on some words.

    But this website is for the English language. If someone is new or unfamiliar with the English language, why should the website have to adapt to them? Shouldn't they adapt to the website? Context is important and if you struggle with understanding context related to common and polite English allowable for teens, how is that anyone else's responsibility but your own?

    I'm not new to the English language. Ive been roaming forums in English for decades now. I've never encountered a forum with so much censored words. That's because the age range is way broader than other game forums. Again I understand why that is and have no problems with it. You don't have to adapt to me. Just asking if it is possible to make it easier to spot you are talking language that is not appropriate for children. I never watch kids show so I don't know their language. I only know "adult English" from reading and watching movies.

    At least I do the effort to speak your language. ;)
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 452 Member
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    No I don't want the website to teach me what is appropriate in English. I want to know what the website thinks is offensive because words are censored that can't possible be offensive. If you type the place where the devil lives it get's censored.

    That is actually somewhat offensive as it is considered a swear in the US. From my experience it is lower tier, but kids aren't supposed to say it.

    Really? I was really confused why it was censored, that exact word was why I made this topic. So how do they tell religious kids where they end up if they don't behave? :D

    My mother always said the polite way to say it is H - E - Double hockey sticks. :lol:
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 3,284 Member
    edited April 28
    Just say “Hades”.

    WHAT THE HADES?!

    Or this:

    #@&$^[email protected]%!!!
    Werebeasts-v02.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited April 28
    You can always post and then edit your message if you find it censored. I got away with some olde English epithets for a bit but then found they were dammed so there is a watch out for anything that they feel should be added to the list!

    Did a bit of word misspelling there on purpose to illustrate how that sometimes works! B)o:)
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    You can always post and then edit your message if you find it censored. I got away with some olde English epithets for a bit but then found they were dammed so there is a watch out for anything that they feel should be added to the list!

    Did a bit of word misspelling there on purpose to illustrate how that sometimes works! B)o:)

    It's not like I'm feeling censored. It's more the feeling I have that kids would read other words than the ones I wrote making it themselves more offensive because I always read something more offensive than was initially typed

    And also like "am I gonna get banned" for leaving so much censored words on a forum that is also meant for kids?

    Yes I could edit them each time, but must admit I'm lazy. ;)

  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited April 28
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    You can always post and then edit your message if you find it censored. I got away with some olde English epithets for a bit but then found they were dammed so there is a watch out for anything that they feel should be added to the list!

    Did a bit of word misspelling there on purpose to illustrate how that sometimes works! B)o:)

    It's not like I'm feeling censored. It's more the feeling I have that kids would read other words than the ones I wrote making it themselves more offensive because I always read something more offensive than was initially typed

    And also like "am I gonna get banned" for leaving so much censored words on a forum that is also meant for kids?

    Yes I could edit them each time, but must admit I'm lazy. ;)

    I cannot see how you would be allowed to put anything in this English forum that would be unsuitable for kids, unless those words were ones that would be censored on your own language's site and even some of those get censored which look ok to us. That's for those speaking that language to supervise for their kids. Even mild epithets get censored and surprise us all.

    Some Simmers even put the 🍎🍎🍎🍎s in, using them to show their annoyance sometimes!
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 28
    Simburian wrote: »
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    You can always post and then edit your message if you find it censored. I got away with some olde English epithets for a bit but then found they were dammed so there is a watch out for anything that they feel should be added to the list!

    Did a bit of word misspelling there on purpose to illustrate how that sometimes works! B)o:)

    It's not like I'm feeling censored. It's more the feeling I have that kids would read other words than the ones I wrote making it themselves more offensive because I always read something more offensive than was initially typed

    And also like "am I gonna get banned" for leaving so much censored words on a forum that is also meant for kids?

    Yes I could edit them each time, but must admit I'm lazy. ;)

    I cannot see how you would be allowed to put anything in this English forum that would be unsuitable for kids, unless those words were ones that would be censored on your own language's site and even some of those get censored which look ok to us. That's for those speaking that language to supervise for their kids. Even mild epithets get censored and surprise us all.

    Some Simmers even put the 🍎🍎🍎🍎s in, using them to show their annoyance sometimes!

    I don't really understand what you mean. I already gave an example of a word that in English isn't suitable for kids I learned here but in my language and country kids are allowed to say that word and there is nothing offensive about it but it seems to be in English

    My native tongue is Dutch so challenge accepted and you will be surprised >:) I'm not posting the link here as it is adult language once translated to English but do a search on Youtube for "These DUTCH words aren't as BAD as they sound". :)
  • CororonCororon Posts: 3,704 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    But this website is for the English language. If someone is new or unfamiliar with the English language, why should the website have to adapt to them? Shouldn't they adapt to the website? Context is important and if you struggle with understanding context related to common and polite English allowable for teens, how is that anyone else's responsibility but your own?

    I have been on site where they censor perfectly cromulent english words because a letter-combination in those words could, if by themselves, be seen as rude words. It's better to have those words highlighted so you can reword the sentence before posting, than to get the whole meaning of what you were trying to say changed to something else or censored. Even native English speakers would benefit by this feature.
    1Gzb37g.jpg
  • DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 174 Member
    Cororon wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    But this website is for the English language. If someone is new or unfamiliar with the English language, why should the website have to adapt to them? Shouldn't they adapt to the website? Context is important and if you struggle with understanding context related to common and polite English allowable for teens, how is that anyone else's responsibility but your own?

    I have been on site where they censor perfectly cromulent english words because a letter-combination in those words could, if by themselves, be seen as rude words. It's better to have those words highlighted so you can reword the sentence before posting, than to get the whole meaning of what you were trying to say changed to something else or censored. Even native English speakers would benefit by this feature.

    So you mean that on those sites, they would censor words like "assignments" because of the first three letters?
  • PriestessDreadfulPriestessDreadful Posts: 212 Member
    edited May 7
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    No, what they mean is that they don't know until their message is actually posted when seemingly innocent words are going to be censored (which makes it look like they swore even when they didn't). For example, did you know that a word like J-3-R-K gets censored on this forum? As native English speakers we can see how the word has multiple meanings and it has been censored so people can't use it to insult someone, or to imply that someone is, errr, engaging in certain behaviours with themselves. But someone might have tried to post a sentence like "My Sim was fishing, but when they did a j-3-r-k on the fishing line, nothing was there". Or whatever, that's just an example.

    So, if the words were censored "in real time" (i.e. as you're typing them), then you could change it before you hit submit.

    @Antwerpo - not sure if this works or not, but have you tried the "preview" function before posting your final comment? I'm assuming that the preview would show any censoring (although I'mn not 100% sure).
  • PriestessDreadfulPriestessDreadful Posts: 212 Member
    Although @Antwerpo you are right that there are a significantly large number of censored words here. I've never seen anything like it. It's because the game is rated for teens, which I understand, but in all honesty this forum feels like it's being made safe for toddlers. :D
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    Although @Antwerpo you are right that there are a significantly large number of censored words here. I've never seen anything like it. It's because the game is rated for teens, which I understand, but in all honesty this forum feels like it's being made safe for toddlers. :D

    Exactly, I don't know how it is for English speakers but I find it difficult to express myself in English without my posts look like I'm some gangster. I want to conform to having a non offensive forum but my posts look like the opposite en look very offensive with all that censoring :D
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited May 10
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    In fairness, some extremely mild language is censored by this board.

    We can't say "the place that's the opposite of heaven" for crying out loud. Where is this forum being hosted? Fricking Utah?

    You also can't say "j e r k"
    As in "Don Lothario is a 🎁🎁🎁🎁" or "a Caribbean Stuff Pack should come with a 🎁🎁🎁🎁 chicken recipe"
    wJbomAo.png
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,430 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So you want this website to teach you what is and is not appropriate to say in the English language?

    No I don't want the website to teach me what is appropriate in English. I want to know what the website thinks is offensive because words are censored that can't possible be offensive. If you type the place where the devil lives it get's censored.

    That is actually somewhat offensive as it is considered a swear in the US. From my experience it is lower tier, but kids aren't supposed to say it.

    The Sims is rated T for Teen.
    Although you wouldn't know it by looking at the game or this board, but it's not actually meant to be viewed by kids.
    wJbomAo.png
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top