Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Least fav build trends?

123457...Next

Comments

• BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a "trend" as such but I really dislike how many builds just use bright white lighting in every room. Like lighting makes such a difference to a space for me but I rarely ever see anyone use it in builds. I always try to use warmer toned lighting and lower brightness to make my houses look more homely. For example this is the same room with standard vs customised lighting
    lights.gif

Cute bedroom
  • Annie2008Annie2008 Posts: 108 Member
    I don't mind if a build has clutter, or too much lighting, or too many plants, or rooms in the wrong places. One of my favorite downloads was an utter disaster inside, but the outside was really unique. I spent many hours redoing the interior and created a lovely house which remains one of my favorites.

I really appreciate the hard work that goes into your creations and have enjoyed playing The Sims for many years because of them.

Thank you all so much.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Annie2008 wrote: »
    I don't mind if a build has clutter, or too much lighting, or too many plants, or rooms in the wrong places. One of my favorite downloads was an utter disaster inside, but the outside was really unique. I spent many hours redoing the interior and created a lovely house which remains one of my favorites.

I really appreciate the hard work that goes into your creations and have enjoyed playing The Sims for many years because of them.

Thank you all so much.

Oh man...I love disaster houses. I especially love gritty houses that are meant to be made over...I've built a couple myself.
  • MissCrackenthorpeMissCrackenthorpe Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm not sure if it's a "trend" or if I'm just noticing it more often, but one of my least favorite things is closets -- not the functional closet objects, but rather the use of small rooms as closets. There's just not much gameplay to be accomplished there. I often end up renovating to remove the closets in favor of a larger bedroom (or an ensuite bathroom).
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    I'm not sure if it's a "trend" or if I'm just noticing it more often, but one of my least favorite things is closets -- not the functional closet objects, but rather the use of small rooms as closets. There's just not much gameplay to be accomplished there. I often end up renovating to remove the closets in favor of a larger bedroom (or an ensuite bathroom).

I agree on that :)

And I love your username :D 4.50 from Paddington?
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Thank you all so much.

Oh man...I love disaster houses. I especially love gritty houses that are meant to be made over...I've built a couple myself.

This is what's making it easier for me to re-model entire worlds. I'll go on the gallery and search abandoned or something similar meant to be fixed. I always feel bad when downloading other people's builds and delete everything only to use their shell. It's sounds so dumb because I don't upload to the gallery so it's all just for my game, but inside I'm like, man this person spent so long on this for me to just destroy it lol. So I never end up satisfied with it.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member

Thank you all so much.

This is what's making it easier for me to re-model entire worlds. I'll go on the gallery and search abandoned or something similar meant to be fixed. I always feel bad when downloading other people's builds and delete everything only to use their shell. It's sounds so dumb because I don't upload to the gallery so it's all just for my game, but inside I'm like, man this person spent so long on this for me to just destroy it lol. So I never end up satisfied with it.

Love doing those remodels, it feels quest. That makes it easier for me, too.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member

Thank you all so much.

Love doing those remodels, it feels quest. That makes it easier for me, too.

Mostly I build for myself but if I downloading something I always remodel it and I don't feel bad about it I expect the same on my builds, they could always be better The last thing which I had download from the gallery was a translation months ago. I wanted a simply and ordinary trainstation, but most of the builds were livingquarters or bars/nightclub or futuristic. I don't know why this became a trend?

It took a while and many tries (that why I use the gallery rarely and build my own things, I hate searching for a long time) until I found a build from someone from the Nederlands. This trainstation needed to remodel because it should look like it would be looking in the 1920s, but it was modern. I think I have left a heart to the builder, because it has saved me some time and looks cute.

Lol at the toilet paper issues from some players. In my decade challenge I've learnt that they were invented in 1928 and in some countries they are not common, these people have/had alternatives.
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 454 Member
    Does move objects count?
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    It's a shame the thread has upset people, I took it all with a pinch of salt.

I don't care if anyone likes my builds, I build for myself and upload anything I particularly want to keep. If others like it, that's nice. But I'm not going to change the way I build just because of a forum thread and I wouldn't expect anyone else to cater for my tastes.

So I say go and carry on filling up with clutter, corner columns, hundreds of lights and mooing everywhere! If that's what makes it fun for you, that's all that is important.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited April 2021
    Simburian wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    I think I'm going to write "uses all packs" on every build I do so that I don't get anyone downloading my builds. I only put them on there to move between two laptops!

Maybe Maxis could introduce a new Category "Hidden?"

This thread is becoming very wrong. Why should people have to hide their uploads? Do we now need to apologize for our uploads not meeting someone's criteria of acceptable? Uploads are "as is", if they don't like it they should download something else. They are privileged enough to be able to download and choose from such a large base, if people get the choice to hide their uploads, that base would decrease considerably and they would still not be guaranteed to find something to meet their requirements completely. If they want something completely to their specifications there are requests threads or they should learn how to build.

It's the sort of thing I think of when I get Simmers complaining about missing toilet rolls! B)

I don't like over decoration myself. There has to be something left for the downloader to do so I tend to leave out the garden decorations myself or leave the basement or attic free.

This is usually how I share. I share an undecorated version...like it's furnished, but has no decor so the player can decorate to match their sims personalities. Then I upload a version that is decorated for the family that will live there in my game so it does have some personality. But I use all the pack items because I don't want to play in a game where I own everything and use nothing. That seems ridiculous. So most people don't download my lots and I'm ok with that. I build for me first and if people like what I share, then that's a happy bonus.

That's something like me too. I put the empty house on first then do a decorated one but am not very good a the second, not using any mods, moo or cc. They are made to help my Sims navigate around without disappearing into the furniture! My builds are a bit dull, I expect but good to live in for my own Sims. They are all British suburban though from my own experience of our houses.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member

When I'm building, if the house has closets, I feel compelled to add them so that the floor plan will match. When I'm using movie screenshots in particular, if there's a door, I feel like I have to have that door. I do try to get actual storage in them whenever possible, but sometimes there isn't room. Every once in awhile I'll leave one out because it just doesn't fit, but it drives me nuts and I'm likely to spend hours trying to work it in first before I give up. I'm a total perfectionist.

I totally understand why it would be something people don't like though. Same with garages. (Which, again, I build sometimes because a house has one and I feel compelled to include everything.) At least garages can be turned into usable rooms.

One trend I've seen quite a bit here lately is sizing up rocks from build mode or debug to go all around a house or pool, like it's on a mountain. While it does look cool, I wouldn't want to play with it.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member

I use some but these are really the 10 situations i can think of which involve weirdly used small rooms that might appear closety and useless to some
    1. i built old mansion building where it would make sense that people had dressing room of some kind or at least some fancy dividers for privacy

but small room made more sense in layout and i didnt want to make big room cause
    # waste of space

this type of closet room will usually have mirror,dresser and a rug...perhaps even nice chair and be connected to bedroom

2. i needed nice space to drag any moveable objects in like say guitars and violins and whatever if i don't really feel like having them out all the time cause u kno its probably family home and maybe they dont have space for full music room or something

3. its actually collectible room but i have yet to place the collectibles :sweat_smile:

4.i just had bumpout to make exterior look less squarey but it was making room look real dum inside so i squared it out into separate room for something like say the holiday decoration boxes or storage boxes/chests or dead people you don't feel like showing off to your guests but you'd like to keep in your house

5. its a hidden ladder spot but i have yet to build the room ladder would go to so no ladder yet and its maybe puzzling but yeah that be happening

6. actually thats not closet its smokestack

7. i added pantry to kitchen cause idk sometimes it do be nice to hide microwave or something else as ugly there

8. laundry room space just in case i ever get laundry stuff

9. i put kids toys in one cause well play closets be fun

10. ...poor unloved child lives/will live there
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

6. actually thats not closet its smokestack

That's a possibility with some of mine. I love that we can now place fireplaces wherever we want, but if there is space for it I will add a chimney for "realism".
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

4.i just had bumpout to make exterior look less squarey but it was making room look real dum inside so i squared it out into separate room for something like say the holiday decoration boxes or storage boxes/chests or dead people you don't feel like showing off to your guests but you'd like to keep in your house

7. i added pantry to kitchen cause idk sometimes it do be nice to hide microwave or something else as ugly there

10. ...poor unloved child lives/will live there

HAHAHAHA @Simmingal! You’re killing me. 💀

It’s exactly as you said. With Snowy Escape the base game shoe racks now have the option to impose footwear rules. IRL I prefer to keep my shoes off indoors and so my Sims will do so as well. But it really ruins the build’s aesthetic having a shoe rack in the room, so into the “closet” it goes—as they do in real life. The closet also hides other uglies like the Bust the Dust vacuum and that Seasons decor box. It may not be functional for the Sims themselves, but it is functional for me.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I love adding closets. I like my homes to be as real as possible. But I always make sure that everything is as functional as possible. Closets are where I put storage boxes and the decorations bins or a small skilling object if I'm not using the game object closet. I also include garages, but they're always converted rooms. In small homes they're usually a family room and in big homes, it's usually staff quarters since I have mods for multiple live-ins.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top