Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims for Men

Comments

• SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    My daughter introduced me to Sailor Moon back when she was a child. I would love a Sailor Moon Manga Anime hairstyles, outfits, accessories & playable objects in Sims 4. :p

Check out SilverMoonSims cc.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2021
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    I think the thread title is a bit narrow minded to start with. Not all men like the same things. Look at me. I like glitz and glamour stuff. I love Sailor Moon. And I’m not alone. To say “for men” implies there’s a set of things intrinsic to bring a man. There isn’t.
    Yeah think why it is more stereotyping of feminine activities the game and EA likes to do. Would be nice if they brought magazines back so Sims an have manga reading options too. Not all women like the same thing either, so honestly the game comes off as offensive to all with the activities especially with the marketing towards teenage girls only comes as offensive towards you because you like those things. I never got into anime myself but there isn't a lot of options for that either. I just think marketing needs to broaden their approach both with gameplay and marketing. There was a petition of 12,000 signatures about pronouns too the community did. Actually had an interesting discussion with other Simmers of activities being intrinsic of being a woman too.

Ooh. I’d love in game manga (read/write) and anime (watch/create) as hobby or career options!
    That would make a fun career. I tend to be attracted to guys that have a variety of hobbies too. Both guys I have liked have been pressured by their fathers to be more masculine. I got into a fight with one guy I was considering dating because he said real men don't cry and other one got told by his dad real men don't cry either. He ended up marrying my sister's male coworker after getting divorced from his ex female fiancee. Why whenever I read a Simmer say "Just be more positive" it comes off as "Just be more masculine" because turning off emotions including crying is a sign of apathy and pressuring people to be more masculine. Why we are designed with free will so we can do the group activities that isn't defined by any gender. I am glad the friends and family I grew up with didn't limit me on sports activities I could do for fun and as in a group. We had friends of all ages play beach volleyball and baseball together and really bonded together as a group during activities together. Pandemic does make me miss group gatherings with friends, but I care for them too much to put them in danger too. We always had enough food for all and were able to talk and play fun outdoor games together. I really love watching hockey too and wish we had it in the game. My second cousin could take on her brothers well in their hockey games growing up. I really loved woodshop class growing up too and learning how to burn wood for decoration. I like some feminine activities too like knitting and crocheting, but my parents never defined activities on gender. My brother played Barbies with me and I played hot wheels with him.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    This is the Newsweek article that a Sims community petition made since this topic is about gender identity:
    https://www.newsweek.com/sims-4-petition-add-transgender-pronoun-option-soars-close-12700-signatures-1583961

Honestly I was impressed how many active Simmers there are and that were able to come together to change something important to them in the base game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    I think drag racing would be pretty dope as a “masculine activity”. Maybe hunting too or even dirt biking. But those are things that we may never see

I’m an older female and I like those ideas too. I’d like to see the sims use a bow and arrow or crossbow.. maybe a lawn mower at some point too.
    And dirt biking and even dirt bike racing would be great.
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    I think the thread title is a bit narrow minded to start with. Not all men like the same things. Look at me. I like glitz and glamour stuff. I love Sailor Moon. And I’m not alone. To say “for men” implies there’s a set of things intrinsic to bring a man. There isn’t.

Well I'm a man, I Identify as a man, so I'm just talking about my experience with the game. I'm not a woman, I'm not gender fluid, I'm not transgender so I can't speak for them. I only have my own life experience to base my feelings towards the game on. Can I ask things too? Or can't I because I identify as a man? It almost feels like I should be embarrassed to identify as a man and ask for features that are geared my way.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited April 2021
    I see. Not enough power tools for you? I guess a vacuum doesn't count?
    That’s right Goddess, there’s not enough power tools for me and the vacuum suc.ks too hard.

How bout De-Kennefying these dude sims once and for all and add a pretty bodyhair menu to start off with. What’s this? 7 years of Plastic Land?

Next: Don’t be afraid to say it folks. We need some more TRADITIONAL dude stuff. From CAS to BB and everything in between:
    • For every lip gloss we need a beard.
    • For every lady hairdo we need a dude hairdo.
    • For every dress we need a man pants. Not these uncomfortable looking pipe cleaners. Give them some more normal and some more space for crying out loud. Please.
    My dude sim doesn’t want to use that lovely vanity table. He wants to be able to shave his whiskers someplace.

And I agree, my dude sim also doesn’t want to flirt the same way all the ladies flirt and bat his eyelashes every time some pretty girl or boy blows a cute little heart kiss at him. My sim is Rambo. And no I’m not playing the wrong game. I’m playing Sim Rambo.

Give us the manly man trait so he doesn’t walk so awkward whenever he’s dying to take a slash.

My dude sim doesn’t want to wiggle his butt whenever he’s about to go for a woohoo. And yet he’s forced to wiggle his butt. It’s sad. She can wiggle her butt if she wants to. Rambo doesn’t want to.

How bout some urinals in the Karaoke Club so the men can all sing together in the bog room. There’s nothing wrong with urinals you know? Or is there something wrong with urinals in 2021?

I know a lot of us want cars and garages, but men want it more. (I want it more).

One day I want to say out loud and proud to all my mates :

Do you know what I did today dudes?”

And they say: “What did you do today dude?”

And I say: “Today....I played The Sims FOAH.”

And they go “WOOOOW, DUDE”. *punching my shoulder really really hard* . “THAT’S CLASS!! “

And then hopefully they’ll buy me a drink again.

This made me laugh...... as a little girl I always preferred GI Joe to be my Barbies date than Ken....Rofl.... I want the male sims in my game to be more like you mentioned....., I think shaving is a great idea, and I want cars too, and an active mechanical career, and I’d love a handyman career tool. I’m surprised we haven’t had a male stuff pack, or a teen stuff pack yet.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Antwerpo wrote: »

Well I'm a man, I Identify as a man, so I'm just talking about my experience with the game. I'm not a woman, I'm not gender fluid, I'm not transgender so I can't speak for them. I only have my own life experience to base my feelings towards the game on. Can I ask things too? Or can't I because I identify as a man? It almost feels like I should be embarrassed to identify as a man and ask for features that are geared my way.

No, there isn't a problem with you being a man or wanting more in game content to match your real life. But to clarify: Is your problem with existing content that it isn't broad enough and cover enough hobbies etc or that it's "too feminine" for men to play/male sims to use in game?

Because the issue for a lot of people is going to be the idea that the existing content is exclusively for women when it isn't. And it seems like you might want things exclusively for men. But then that creates a lot of stereotypes and conditions on what it means to be a man.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    My biggest beef is the lack of body hair. I mean, how do you represent males in the game when they all look like a plucked chickens?
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    sunblond wrote: »
    My biggest beef is the lack of body hair. I mean, how do you represent males in the game when they all look like a plucked chickens?

I'd like some nice body hair for everyone starting with kids (not toddlers because in real life their hair is so fine and you can hardly see it). It's normal to have hair. Men and women. We all have hair.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited April 2021
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    When I look at how many playstation friends have this game I was shocked how many of them own the Sims game. I never see them play it but they owned the game one time or another.

Not to go off topic from the overarching conversation (and apologies if it's already been mentioned), but this is most likely because TS4 was free for PS+ subscribers at some point last year. I also own TS4 on PS4 because of that, but have only played it once, for about a half-hour lol.

I have PS+ too but I don't download all the free games. Only the ones I think I will ever play. I probably got my copy for free as well.

Sure, but my point is that you're going to see a lot of people owning a game if it was available for free at some point. Especially with a recognizable name like The Sims, people will download it just to "try it out" since they can easily uninstall later - there's no cost to just give it a go. The fact that they didn't continue playing isn't necessarily because they're finding the game too "women-centric", it could be for any number of reasons. In any case, I wasn't really trying to argue or disagree, just wanted to mention that the game having been free likely accounts for an unusually high number of people owning it. :)
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Beer ad of men watching football playing
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Maybe it is biased more towards women, I never really thought about it. If it is, it doesn't slow me down---I still do some pretty wacky stuff regardless.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member

Of course, you can ask things. =) My statement wasn't about asking questions, only the wording of the title. Identifying as male, female, or other, is a separate issue from stereotyping activities in regards to masculinity and femininity. That's all.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,914 Member
    I know this is horridly OT, but I say it anyway.

At the beginning, when I read the title of the thread first time, I read it like someone is requesting other simmers to make actual sims (in CAS) for male players :smiley:

I naturally know that is not the case, but still I often read the title that way :p

But yes, and sorry about the OT :) -->
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • amberlunezamberlunez Posts: 52 Member
    edited April 2021
    this topic completely bewilders me in countless ways.

What exactly is 'manly' in the context of sims?
    -More stereotypically masculine clothing and hairstyles? Okay. I definitely think there needs to be a larger variety in CAS in all cases. I want more CAS for all gender identities. There should be more body hair! (I don't know if anyone knows this, but women actually have that too! So I guess that's not a 'man-thing' either?) I also feel like a lot of the CAS stuff is very polished, which while awesome is not always the vibe.
    -Cars? More sports? Farming? Strangely enough, all things that a huge part of the community has been requesting already. More garage stuff? For sure.
    -....I...don't know what other 'man-things' you want in the game? Beer? I'm being stereotypical here because I'm trying really hard to think from the 'men do this, women do that' mindset.

I just genuinely don't understand what specifics need to be added to the game to make it more 'man friendly'. It's a game where you build structures and/or simulate life. The wonders of a sandbox game! You can literally choose whatever lifestyle you want to play (within reason), or just build. Is 'homemaking' too feminine for you? Well lucky for you, you can even start a family and then abandon it and let the mother of your children take care of the kids by herself, which definitely adds that 'manly grit' in a super realistic way, if that's what you're into!

The only thing I've gleamed from most of the comments here is that 'being a man' is about having looser fitting trousers that pass your ankle and having body hair and being able to shave if you want to. Well, welcome to the club my dudes! I also enjoy looser fitting trousers that pass my ankle and I too have body hair that I sometimes shave and sometimes don't, and wouldn't mind seeing those very oddly specific things in the game. But by all means, please make sure it only applies to the male sims, as their masculinity is literally being threatened by the presence of the Things That Are Not For Them (Even Though The Things Are Gender Neutral).

But for real. They've literally been working toward an (optional) more gender neutral approach in the game, which is a breath of fresh air, and now we 'need more man things'? Not to mention that the gaming industry is pretty much entirely domineered by men already. Yes, there are TONS of non-male players of all games, but it's common knowledge that the gaming scene is mostly cisgender men. Is it such a terrible thing that there is one large scale game that...doesn't even necessarily 'cater to women', but simply doesn't primarily cater to men? You have a MILLION options out there - games that are about stealing cars and committing a multitude of violent crimes, games about monsters, games where you can pretend you play football for a living, etc - and you take the one game that doesn't 'cater to men' and think it needs to be fixed? Like, honestly give me a break.

• AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 2021
    amberlunez wrote: »

-More stereotypically masculine clothing and hairstyles? Okay. I definitely think there needs to be a larger variety in CAS in all cases. I want more CAS for all gender identities. There should be more body hair! (I don't know if anyone knows this, but women actually have that too! So I guess that's not a 'man-thing' either?) I also feel like a lot of the CAS stuff is very polished, which while awesome is not always the vibe.
    -Cars? More sports? Farming? Strangely enough, all things that a huge part of the community has been requesting already. More garage stuff? For sure.
    -....I...don't know what other 'man-things' you want in the game? Beer? I'm being stereotypical here because I'm trying really hard to think from the 'men do this, women do that' mindset.

I just genuinely don't understand what specifics need to be added to the game to make it more 'man friendly'. It's a game where you build structures and/or simulate life. The wonders of a sandbox game! You can literally choose whatever lifestyle you want to play (within reason), or just build. Is 'homemaking' too feminine for you? Well lucky for you, you can even start a family and then abandon it and let the mother of your children take care of the kids by herself, which definitely adds that 'manly grit' in a super realistic way, if that's what you're into!

The only thing I've gleamed from most of the comments here is that 'being a man' is about having looser fitting trousers that pass your ankle and having body hair and being able to shave if you want to. Well, welcome to the club my dudes! I also enjoy looser fitting trousers that pass my ankle and I too have body hair that I sometimes shave and sometimes don't, and wouldn't mind seeing those very oddly specific things in the game. But by all means, please make sure it only applies to the male sims, as their masculinity is literally being threatened by the presence of the Things That Are Not For Them (Even Though The Things Are Gender Neutral).

But for real. They've literally been working toward an (optional) more gender neutral approach in the game, which is a breath of fresh air, and now we 'need more man things'? Not to mention that the gaming industry is pretty much entirely domineered by men already. Yes, there are TONS of non-male players of all games, but it's common knowledge that the gaming scene is mostly cisgender men. Is it such a terrible thing that there is one large scale game that...doesn't even necessarily 'cater to women', but simply doesn't primarily cater to men? You have a MILLION options out there - games that are about stealing cars and committing a multitude of violent crimes, games about monsters, games where you can pretend you play football for a living, etc - and you take the one game that doesn't 'cater to men' and think it needs to be fixed? Like, honestly give me a break.

Are you kidding me? Have you actually ever played this game because it looks like you didn't. This game is not gender neutral. It was the fitst thing I noticed when I tried this game. I was so surprised to see that you can only pick a man or a woman. Nothing else. Again all the domestic packs are offensive to women if you go on this route of equality and neutrality. Gay sims are portrayed as a stereotype and you start lecturing me describing it as a breath of fresh air? You do know that air stinks?

It's clear you don't understand a word that I said if you are telling me that I can go play games stealing cars, do violent crimes and fight with monsters. It's insulting what you think is meant in this topic as masculine. It's offensive to all men that like to play the sims. Stop being so prejudiced.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Hey tell ya what. All I’m really asking for in The Sims4 is this:
    • More Bearded ladies.
    • A menu for Beautiful women who have the power to grow a thousand acre forest on their bodies, especially their gorgeous chests.
    • Ladies who move less “ladylike”.
    • Sum more loose fitting kinda normal attire, especially around the crotch and leg area. Ladies want space. And speaking of leg area, let them be long legs for the sweethearts who want to cover their yummy ankles.

Would be cool-cool if dudes can have something similar, but sure, that maybe a stretch. 😝

If not, I guess I’ll just go back and play GTA to shoot at a bunch of pedestrians whenever they’re in my way. It’s all the same to me.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 dude, don't bother shooting those pedestrians, just plow them down in your stolen police car :D
    amberlunez wrote: »

-More stereotypically masculine clothing and hairstyles? Okay. I definitely think there needs to be a larger variety in CAS in all cases. I want more CAS for all gender identities. There should be more body hair! (I don't know if anyone knows this, but women actually have that too! So I guess that's not a 'man-thing' either?)

Can you honestly say that you don't know what people are talking about when they ask for body hair? Sure, us girlies do have body hair, but we don't grow a forest on our chests. At least, not the average woman. Most of us don't have hair on our backs either, and the hair on our legs doesn't tend to grow to the same length and thickness of a man's leg hair. Same goes for our arms. I think we all know what people mean when they say they want manly body hair.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2021
    Delete
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    I really want body hair. Both for female and male sims. Then I'm all set :tongue:
    he/him
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited April 2021
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 dude, don't bother shooting those pedestrians, just plow them down in your stolen police car :D

@elanorbreton I just want to see their happy faces up close when they see me coming, but stolen police car sounds good too! I’d do anything that makes me feel like a real man. 😝
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Can you imagine that game scenario played out in the sims 4, they'd probably shoot rotten tomatoes from a blunderbuss and run people over with their bikes. Actually, it sounds like fun, but then maybe I'm a little twisted.
  • BastetBastet Posts: 56 Member
    Rosysimmer wrote: »
    Nothing is 'manly' as that sets the expectation that ONLY men can do it.

@Rosysimmer Of course not but we are talking about things that men are more likely to be doing because there are certain things out there that attract a male audience more than female.
    For example: ever been to a school for programming and computers? All you see there is dudes. It doesn't mean there are no women or that they aren't allowed to be interested in programming and computers. It's just that typically more men want to study IT programming for some reason. So calling it a more "man-thing" is actually pretty accurate.

It's not about who is allowed to do what. Of course everyone is allowed to do anything they want to. But there are just certain things that attract certain genders.

I'd hate to sound agressive but sorry not sorry, I've graduated from the top STEM program here and the female/male ratio is around 1:1 in almost every field. Before you ask, no, there's no female quota or anything supporting any gender or minority or whatever your liberal countries could offer - and it's filthy hard to get accepted and graduate. No mercy spared. HOWEVER I observe that the shittier STEM programs get the more they are likely to be packed with dudes claiming to be the next Isaac Newton.

See, I'm just so sick of this "STEM programs are basically sausage parties UwU" crap. They are not. Seriously, no matter how liberal your country might be you're scaring young girls off repeating this like an hymn over and over (and then wonder why women are not interested in these certain topics. Seriously?) If I were put through between "yer not like the otter girls *squeak*" and "Wimmen in STEM ship=bad luck arrrr!" my whole school life I'd never even consider giving a second glance to the program I've graduated. Good ol' times before global social media <3

Sorry for the rant, nothing personal. Here's a pretty flower as a gesture of peace🌸 I'm all for representation of men, women, otters, Don Lothario and even engineers in the game as they wish. Still, it's not a good idea to sell mere observations as the laws of nature.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Bastet wrote: »
    Rosysimmer wrote: »
    Nothing is 'manly' as that sets the expectation that ONLY men can do it.

@Rosysimmer Of course not but we are talking about things that men are more likely to be doing because there are certain things out there that attract a male audience more than female.
    For example: ever been to a school for programming and computers? All you see there is dudes. It doesn't mean there are no women or that they aren't allowed to be interested in programming and computers. It's just that typically more men want to study IT programming for some reason. So calling it a more "man-thing" is actually pretty accurate.

It's not about who is allowed to do what. Of course everyone is allowed to do anything they want to. But there are just certain things that attract certain genders.

I'd hate to sound agressive but sorry not sorry, I've graduated from the top STEM program here and the female/male ratio is around 1:1 in almost every field. Before you ask, no, there's no female quota or anything supporting any gender or minority or whatever your liberal countries could offer - and it's filthy hard to get accepted and graduate. No mercy spared. HOWEVER I observe that the shittier STEM programs get the more they are likely to be packed with dudes claiming to be the next Isaac Newton.

See, I'm just so sick of this "STEM programs are basically sausage parties UwU" ❤️❤️❤️❤️. They are not. Seriously, no matter how liberal your country might be you're scaring young girls off repeating this like an hymn over and over (and then wonder why women are not interested in these certain topics. Seriously?) If I were put through between "yer not like the otter girls *squeak*" and "Wimmen in STEM ship=bad luck arrrr!" my whole school life I'd never even consider giving a second glance to the program I've graduated. Good ol' times before global social media <3

Sorry for the rant, nothing personal. Here's a pretty flower as a gesture of peace🌸 I'm all for representation of men, women, otters, Don Lothario and even engineers in the game as they wish. Still, it's not a good idea to sell mere observations as the laws of nature.

Maybe timing is a factor, but all of my classes were mostly guys (Computer Science/Electronics Engineering). I'd say the ratio was about 10:1. I don't think there is anything wrong with stating that there are probably more men than women in these programs. That's why we have so many outreach programs now trying to get young girls interested in STEM subjects. And girls do not tend to be interested in these programs. I raised my own daughter with all types of STEM toys, shared my knowledge with her, did projects together, she doesn't have the slightest bit of interest in it at age 14. I never pushed her and she saw me doing cool things she's proud to tell everyone about (helping "build" an air traffic control tower...she points at that thing every time we pass it when we fly back home and tells everyone within earshot that her mom built that). Her dad is also a scientist and the girl is practically failing science, which is an utter embarrassment, but it is what it is. She is much more girly than I ever was and her interests are shopping and anything creative. Even though she's had plenty of time using a screwdriver, she wouldn't be able to pick it out of a toolbox. All I'm saying is...depends on where you live and how those Women in STEM campaigns are going.
  • BastetBastet Posts: 56 Member
    @Mstybl95 I agree, it might be a question of where and when. In my case though, which is no rarity at all, we have here no women in STEM sort of campaigns and I am the first one in my family who's had a university degree. IMHO such stuff depends on social economic classes more than anything else- a very complex matter for a SIMS forum. I didn't mean to pick a fight or something. Still, we only have our observations and in my observation file there's the girly girl wearing high heels and make up every day that graduated with honors. She's still rocking her career (Not me of course, it's my classmate :D I wasn't the type to show up at campus every day to begin with :/ ) I just don't like and understand the stereotype. However I've mostly studied theory, maybe your statement is true for engineering, they indeed have some f/m ratio smaller than 1. My previous post feels kinda aggressive, sorry about that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW your daughter's bragging about the tower is so cute. It reminds me of my grandmother, she loves telling everyone about me being a scientist, often asking me what I'm up to and she's even asked me to explain what quantum physics is so she could brag in detail :D Of course I failed, but still it was worth the effort :) Aww, guess now I'll go create my grandma in the young adult sim form and give her a huge mansion with a lab and a butler. That's what the sims is for, amirite?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top