Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? No thank you!

Comments

• Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Okay the arguement of "Let's just keep building on the Sims 4 and improve that instead of a new game" is too me very unrealistic. I don't want to get into much detail here but these are my main points against this:

-First and foremost, technology. The gaming industry is evolving rapidly as is the technology used in newer more exciting games. The Sims 4 is a game that was made to run on 10 yeard old machines. It was outdated when it first came out and every day that goes by it gets more outdated. EA knows you cannot stand still in this industry, you need to move with the pack and like with every game, there will be an end.

-The game cannot handle more content without it breaking. I think the best example is the "Bust the Dust Kit". It came with only one minor feature when it had like ten bugs. It shows the game now consists of "spaghetti code" (this is a real term, you can google it). It basically means the game is so packed with code from all the DLC, that there is no way to tell what will happen if you change one thing. It could break the whole game.

- And the most important agruement of all, is that if we stay in the Sims 4 era forever, there will never be a new, more improved version of the Sims. Have you ever thought if the people who played the Sims 1 said: "Oh we don't need the Sims 2, let's just keep improving the Sims 1". We would still to this day play the Sims 1 and all these massive improvements that have been made over the years wouldn't have happened.

Guys, don't be afraid of change. If a new Sims game comes out, that doesn't mean The Sims 4 will disappear from your library. You still own everything you have bought. But to quote Hairspray, one of my most favorite musicals: "the world keeps spinnin' round and round" Time will pass and things will change, that's just the world we live in, so you better make your peace with it.

I agree with you 100 %! It's time to let Sims 4 end, and it's time to embrace the future and see how Sims 5 will be.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    Loanet wrote: Β»
    I really do feel sick at myself for buying Journey To Batuu.

I use this pack as Galaxy's Edge theme park.

After $30 Katy Perry stuff pack (no gameplay, no world), I can't complain about $20 Star Wars game pack (or $15 on sale).

Hmm, I don't think that just because the Katy Perry pack was bad, it somehow makes the JtB pack good. So I don't get why the comparison needed to be made in order to make JtB seem better.

"If you only compare yourself to people worse than you, you will never become better" - Ludwig van Amadeus Einstein, 2021

To add more nuance least Katty perry was not an advertisement for an amusement park.
  • johnjetjohnjet Posts: 101 Member
    Can I ask, what gives you the impression that all these new hirings are for Sims 5.

Don't forget that there is one other game in the Maxis portfolio as well. - Sim City.

I know at one stage the CEO of EA said, that they wanted to look at reviving the franchise. So maybe this is what the new game is going to be. And what better way to bring a new generation of the game to players, than using some of the former Sims team members to try and bring it the success that The Sims franchise has had.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited April 2021
    Maxis is looking for an assistant for the producer… "pathfinder" for The Sims 4.

This word reminds me Mass Effect Andromeda. They still explore and make a path for TS4.

April 1st, 2021
    https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/165086/assistant-producer-pathfinder-intern-summer-2021?locale=en
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Well you got what you wanted OP.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    logion wrote: Β»
    Well you got what you wanted OP.

I really have no idea what you're talking about. You sound kinda bitter... Also, I've predicted Sims 4 will last for years and years and years, for years and years and years.

Probably until they've actually decided how they want to rip people off with Sims 5.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Lilacsky22Lilacsky22 Posts: 43 Member
    I do not think this team is ready for sims 5, unless they have another team we don't know about. The fact is that in order to move on from sims 4 they have to be able to perfect what they have and I think that is completely fine. Why would you want another half 🐸🐸🐸🐸, half baked game??? Perhaps they have learned their lesson but still the lesson is clearly still going on till this very day for them. They may try something though in the nearer future such as testing, and to me that is not fair to anyone, just like when this game launched, I felt it was on beta still and we the players paid to get the kinks out....no no no............they better get it right this time around and not use their players to do their work for them.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    I did a walk down memory lane by revisiting the earlier posts on this thread.

Some thought 5 was coming very soon. Others thought 4 was gonna be around with new packs for 3 years.

Well, we're almost 3 years since this thread started and 4 is still the main game (which I personally don't like). I do get the feeling tho that 4 is coming to it's end. One part of me is looking forward to 4's unavoidable end, while another part of me is not really optimistic that 5 will be the game I have been dreaming of it becoming.

While any change from 4 would be welcomed, I have to admit that I have little faith that 5 will restore my faith and love in this franchise. I still do hold out some hope that EA will prove me wrong.
    edited April 2021
    Since 2019 Maxis is working on a new IP, it's possible the next game won't be The Sims 5 but a new life simulator using the Unreal Engine, a Mature rated game like GTA or Cyberpunk 2077.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Currently we're living in the world of long term games because of fact that games can be ubdating and developing by internet connection.

GTA V - 2013 - present - (before GTAV former GTAs was realising in one or two years)
    ESO: Skyrim - 2011 - present
    Cities: Skylines - 2015 - present
    The Witcher - 2015 - present
    WoW - 2004 - present
    Guild Wars 2 - 2012 - present

What is more I think that formula of The Sims is running out. New The Sims (if ever happen) series will introduce the same things one more time but probably in more expansions. How many times can you buy Seasons, Pets, Vacations, NIght Life ect? In my opinion EA should focus on TS4 and make this game as good as possible. Our computers/consoles are better this days and EA can finally do more with their game. And yes, it is possible to rebuild some things, but they have to want to do that. Neighborhoods can be bigger and open, memories can exist similar to TS2, cars can be implemented, beddings can have separate swatches, but as I said, EA must have some will.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Currently we're living in the world of long term games because of fact that games can be ubdating and developing by internet connection.

GTA V - 2013 - present - (before GTAV former GTAs was realising in one or two years)
    ESO: Skyrim - 2011 - present
    Cities: Skylines - 2015 - present
    The Witcher - 2015 - present
    WoW - 2004 - present
    Guild Wars 2 - 2012 - present

What is more I think that formula of The Sims is running out. New The Sims (if ever happen) series will introduce the same things one more time but probably in more expansions. How many times can you buy Seasons, Pets, Vacations, NIght Life ect? In my opinion EA should focus on TS4 and make this game as good as possible. Our computers/consoles are better this days and EA can finally do more with their game. And yes, it is possible to rebuild some things, but they have to want to do that. Neighborhoods can be bigger and open, memories can exist similar to TS2, cars can be implemented, beddings can have separate swatches, but as I said, EA must have some will.

@Sthenastia Most of the games you mentioned are MMOs which are a different story. MMOs have always had longer cycles but their code is nothing similar to a life simulator. Life simulators have more complicated code that leads to the Sims 4 "spaghetti code". And GTA V is lasting so long due to GTA Online.
    Only Cities Skylines is more similar to the Sims but it also doesn't have the same amount of DLC or the same amount of new code introduced with new DLC.

Also I don't see how a new Sims game having similar packs means we shouldn't get a new base game at all. Sims base games are always is a step of progress, an evolution of the previous game. You can look at the difference between Sims 1 and Sims 2 or Sims 2 and Sims 3 to see how these games are absolutely different and were worth investing in because they were such big steps forward. Having a Sims 5 doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to buy the same game all over again. Just look at the previous ones like I said.
    Also the DLC stuff that you mentioned. I have to put the Sims 3 in the forefront here again. The Sims 3 was one of the Sims games that came with a lot never seen before packs. Before the Sims 3 we never had anything like Ambitions or Generations or Island Paradise, Into the Future, Showtime, Supernatural you name it. Even packs that were similar like World adventures came with fresh ideas to not be an exact replica of Bon Voyage. The only packs that were very similar to the Sims 2 were Seasons and University.
    This goes to show that the Sims team can have new and fresh ideas without having to copy previous Sims games. And they are capable of doing it for the Sims 5.

Also, I do not agree with you that they can improve the Sims 4 base game anymore without having to remake the whole game. Neighborhoods cannot be improved in a meaningful way without getting rid of the whole map system they have set up. Cars would need massive work too because there is not vehicle routing in the Sims 4. The roads are not functional like they were in the Sims 1, 2 and 3. They are decor, for the first time in the Sims series. Pretty much everything people criticize about the Sims 4 cannot be implemented without either providing a watered down version of these things aka Sentiments or completely remaking the game.

Finally, even if they decided to do an incredible amount of work and remake the base game for free in order to give us these features, there would be a massive issue with DLC interfering with the new base game. The base game is called base because it is a fountation. Once you have built upon this fountation you cannot change it without everything collapsing. The Sims 4 has such a huge amount of DLC that changing anything meaningful about the base game will result in another huge amount of bugs and inevitable game breaking glitches.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    Originally EA said "Anthem has a 10 year plan", I think it's the current strategy for the games with live service.
  • ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    Sims 5 will be a new start - everything becomes zero again, like Lostbelt in FGO
    I could take any of my web-friends at random, burn down their houses, beat their parents with pool cues, dismember their children and return them in the post piece by piece, and they would still have greater faith in the goodness of my heart than I have in Electronic Arts' intention to provide a reasonably priced and balanced Sims 5.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    Loanet wrote: Β»
    I could take any of my web-friends at random, burn down their houses, beat their parents with pool cues, dismember their children and return them in the post piece by piece, and they would still have greater faith in the goodness of my heart than I have in Electronic Arts' intention to provide a reasonably priced and balanced Sims 5.

Sadly, I agree. :'(
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    What about DLCs I want to add that this days games have also more expansions than older games. Train Simulator is the best example here. More than 600 dlcs. Due to that I totally agree with @Loanet Making expantions for TS4 is cheaper for EA and totally more profitable than creating new game with high expectatons and no a certain future.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited April 2021
    What about DLCs I want to add that this days games have also more expansions than older games. Train Simulator is the best example here. More than 600 dlcs.

@Sthenastia This is actually not a common thing but a pretty rare one. The Sims 4 was ranked place 9 on the list of the games with the most expensive DLC of all time. And it is even about to surpass the game on place 8. So technically the Sims 4 will be the 8th most DLC-filled game of all time very soon.
    Post edited by SimmerGeorge on
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited April 2021
    If EA makes Sims 5, they'll have to persuade people to leave behind Sims 4.

Sims 4 is a GIGANTIC change from Sims 3. Obviously for better or worse is your call, but there's no doubt the change ended up being big enough to draw people. The graphical change is about 50/50 in favour - realism vs the timeless cartoonish style. Plus of course, NO LAG. Certain things weren't complete - lots of things in fact - but it was a huge draw nonetheless.

If EA creates Sims 5, it has to be different enough from Sims 4 to make a draw. A Subscription Sims has to be something that will last more than a month, microtransactions are a risk... but EA hasn't shown any interest in what kind of game will make customers happy, just what they can use to make money. I can assure you that it's perfectly possible to do both - I own plenty of games that have reasonable prices and good DLC, even if it doesn't come out hourly - but this is EA.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I was talking with some friends, and I think what EA needs to do is spend a few years after the release of the last DLC optimizing and fixing the game so that it isn't left a broken mess once development ends like with TS3. But of course, that entails hiring more staff and spending money, so they're not going to do that
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: Β»
    I was talking with some friends, and I think what EA needs to do is spend a few years after the release of the last DLC optimizing and fixing the game so that it isn't left a broken mess once development ends like with TS3. But of course, that entails hiring more staff and spending money, so they're not going to do that

TS3's gameplay features work for the most part unlike a lot of the gameplay in TS4 - that's why people still play it. When TS4 ends (yay!) the modding community will have to stand in and fix it (not like the TS4 devs have done much anyway to fix TS4 in the first place).

Also, when TS5 comes out, be prepared to have EA fudge about TS4 to put it down just so that people will buy TS5 instead. :)

edited April 2021
    Also, when TS5 comes out, be prepared to have EA fudge about TS4 to put it down just so that people will buy TS5 instead. :)

The players need to discover new major features that the packs and the updates can't bring to TS4.

When TS5 comes out, TS4 will be very old (15 years or more), EA won't need to do something, the most of players will autonomously move to this new game no matter if it's good or a big disappointment.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I found this rumour on reddit's gaming leaks and rumours lol.

owTKjMC.png
    edited April 2021
    @Wolfium

The usual leak as EA Play 2020, 2019 and 2018... Some people have fun fooling you every year.

As long as TS3 Store isn't closed there is no space for TS5.