Get To Work - Will I Regret It?

«1
calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
I've hesitated for years over buying this pack as I'm a realism player but may be fine to tolerate aliens in my game, I don't know.

Anyway I have just purchased this pack for just under £18. Will I regret it?

What's the best advice you can give me to keep the aliens at bay?

What do you like/dislike about this pack?

Comments

  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,600 Member
    Don't play the scientist career, don't go to alien night, don't play with the telescope.

    If I recall, those are the three best ways to have Aliens show up.

    I don't mind aliens myself, but I do have a mod setting that has all NPC aliens default to in disguise, So I only know that they're around when they're glowing due to emotions.

    I enjoy playing the active careers, but I don't do it all the time. The retail system can be fun. My current family has a "junk store" where they sell any excess craftables from various sources while skill-building, and excess collectibles. (Having Eco lifestyle, it's also set as a junkyard and they also sell refurbished stuff from the dumpsters).

    As I don't mind aliens, there's not much I actively dislike about the pack. Most of the Build/Buy stuff is geared around retail or one of the careers, so I don't find it especially exciting, but I don't find it bad either.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,016 Member
    This is my fav pack in the sims 4. Aliens aren't really intrusive you’ll only really see them if you choose to or if you are one.

    The thing I don’t like about this pack is aliens could have been more and retail, sometimes it works sometimes sims just hang out at the store and it takes them so long to buy something and leave. Then you see them come back the next 2 hours...

    But I can’t play sims 4 with out this pack just being able to dl shops from the gallery and have my sims shop at them or creating a shop and passing it along to the next family member is satisfying. I normally use shops for things I don’t want my sims to skill up to create but still can buy it like robots for example, I put one of those shops in my game so my rich sims can just go buy them. The careers keep you busy too.

  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,058 Member
    Download a mod to disable aliens. That’s what worked for me.
    Origin ID : ChazzzyGOAT
    Recommended Mods : http://chazzzygoat.tumblr.com
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 998 Member
    edited April 16
    I've had this pack for quite a while and the only saves where I have ever gotten alien abductions are the ones where my sims either are aliens or interact with aliens a lot (in scientist career or at "alien night" at bars). But if you want to make sure (and also to disable aliens from being selected by the game as npc bartenders, waiters etc.) I'd recommend checking into mods like MCCC.

    For me, the main reason I got the pack was for the aliens, but I've also really ended up liking the detective career, the clothing in CAS and the build/buy items, which I use a lot. I thought I would use the retail stores more but for some reason I never really think about them. No problems with them, personally, I just tend to forget they're a thing.

    Edit: answered other question.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,885 Member
    EA has nerfed Aliens unless you have Mod. Played the Science career and not a single Sim has been abducted. I find the pack itself a rinse and repeat but you may enjoy doing it over and over.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 998 Member
    My scientist sims definitely do get abducted, frequently. So do any sims I play who are friends with aliens. And my aliens also get abducted. I don't have any mods that would be making this happen. So experiences with the pack do seem to vary.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 19,407 Member
    I've had this pack since release. Very rarely have I had a Sim abducted, even when one was in the Science Career, I love it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,072 Member
    I get a lot of abductions when I play a scientist. There is a toggle provided, use the satellite dish which comes with the career, (or browse debug to find it), it has an option to keep stopping abductions. Don't go to alien night at the bar as some one said. I use MCCC to disable the silly bar nights.
    Origin ID: 3989
  • MareahMareah Posts: 696 Member
    I owned this one for like a year now and my sims never got abducted once so i feel it is rare if you are playing normally. The only time i encountred aliens was when my sim's rommate was one but i did not know that until i edited her in cas. She was acting very much like a normal sim so i was not suspicious. I still find that hilarious. I think you will like this one. I got it mainly for retail but i have yet to try it. If you happen to play with it before me tell me how you like it.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 1,680 Member
    I have had GTW since release. After the first nerf and not playing the science career in ages, I can honestly say I haven't seen aliens in my game that I did not make myself in CAS in real life years. Even when playing scientist, you can make something to tone down abductions. I think there used to be an alien night bar invite, but I have not seen it in forever either. I play vanilla, by the way. There is probably a mod out there that will scrub them if you are that nervous.

    So, in my experience, completely opt in.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 8,835 Member
    edited April 16
    One of my favorites also, the scientist career being my fav active career. I don't like aliens personally, and I don't play them, their voices hurt my ears, lol, but I think only once did my sim get abducted by aliens...loved it, my scientist was female so no pregnancy, yay. I found the aliens not annoying at all. I just avoid alien night at the bars. :D

    You'll really enjoy the B/B mode items, I use them all the time. I would say, if that's a sale, buy it and then enjoy! :)
    "Nothing stinks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you are wrong." :p
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 828 Member
    I’ve also had GTW since release and I can’t remember the last time I’ve encountered an alien. I also can’t remember Alien night at bars (in fairness I tune most of the themed nights out). I don’t play with any mods.

    I also have only played the Scientist career once and never to completion. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with alien appearances around town.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 284 Member
    Realism player. Aliens have never gotten in my way, just don't go to alien night at the pub.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Thanks for the replies!

    I took a look around Magnolia Promenade and the premade shops are a bit lame. I downloaded a robotics repair shop onto the vacant lot so some of my richer sims can buy robots, bypassing the need to study robotics. I wonder if there is an icecream shop in the gallery?

    As for the careers, I'll delve into them as and when I have sims with the suitable traits. Genius sims can be doctors, good sims be police and evil sims be scientists perhaps?
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 9,689 Member
    Ihardly ever see aliens, and since the GTW release, I had about 3 abductions. No big deal! I assume it would happen more often f I focused more on such features, which I obviously don't. I use BB from this pack quite often, especially for offices and story telling etc.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims
    a.jpg
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 3,932 Member
    edited April 16
    Should your sim go outside to "inspect a strange light" and you don't want them to get abducted, pause your game, enter testingcheats and shift-click your sim to reset them. It came in handy for saving one of mine from getting abducted a second time right after giving birth.

    Advice/Likes: I play rotationally and enjoy putting sims from several households into the police career. Seeing all my other sims interact while I play one is heart-warming (and also at times frustrating). The game will still try to generate addional co-workers, but it's worth a shot.
    my sims blog alternates between gameplay with the Villareal and picture stories with my Detroit (android) sims
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 5,215 Member
    edited April 18
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I've hesitated for years over buying this pack as I'm a realism player but may be fine to tolerate aliens in my game, I don't know.

    Anyway I have just purchased this pack for just under £18. Will I regret it?

    What's the best advice you can give me to keep the aliens at bay?

    What do you like/dislike about this pack?

    It’s one of my favorite packs because of the 3 active careers. I don’t “run” very many businesses, but I like businesses for my sims to go to and buy things, so I would miss retail for this reason. A sims game just doesn’t seem complete without a few stores. Besides you can down load collections, potions and things from the gallery, or get them from debug and sell them.


    Aliens don’t bother me really, it’s not like they have ever been intrusive in my game. I play the scientist career, and she was taken to sixam, and met a few aliens after she got high up in her career. And sometimes I see aliens at bars on alien night, but that’s about it. She and her brother were taken by aliens once...... he didn’t come back pregnant. I rarely see aliens in my game. I have a very large rotation. It is very cute to see my sim doctor deliver all the babies.and the active careers, were so much fun for me.

    Oh and I don’t use any mods.... aliens are not a problem for me, the once or twice in a lifetime abductions were kind of cool to watch.....I have had the pack since it first came out. It would be one of the packs I would keep if I was forced to downsize my collection.

    I believe this EP came with the Baking skill, or interaction as well. And most of my sims buy their wedding cakes and things from one of my retail stores. The Landgrabbs own most of them. I cheat with them, downloaded a sim to live with them that is a level 10 in cooking, gourmet cooking, baking, fishing etc. to use to make food to sell in stores.

    My scientist, Doctor and Detective are all level 10 now. The science career has a lot of things you can construct. And potions you can make. And I love the Science building ( work place ) just as it is. I wish we had more work places like this. Get famous also has a work place for actors and actresses,.... I would love to see more of the jobs with workplaces and objectives..... this pack kept me busy longer than any of the Expansions.

    Oh and like someone else mentioned I use tons of reward objects for builds..... doctors offices, and other office builds. You could even build a prison if you wanted to, or your own science lab. But, I believe you have to be a scientist to use the science equipment.

    @calaprfy i think you might have to own cool kitchen to have ice cream in the game. If you have cool kitchen and dine out, I know you can make an ice cream restaurant. I have an ice cream shop that functions as a restaurant. But with get to work and cool kitchen, you can also put the ice cream maker in retail shops and make your own. You might even be able to put it in food cases and sell it in a retail shop after making it, I haven’t tried that yet. And I did find an ice cream shop on the gallery, a very cute small one, it does use the cool kitchen ice cream machine. But I think I turned mine into a restaurant with a few burgers, and tons of ice cream.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • xMyrthexMyrthe Posts: 55 Member
    You'll probably never even see any aliens unless you play the scientist career AND actively look for them. An evil scientist btw is awesome to play because the career comes with a ton of crazy appliances and potions that can manipulate other sims around you haha.
  • BastetBastet Posts: 56 Member
    I don't think it's a must have, but I find the gameplay really enjoyable. Bought on sale, it's worth for the scientist career alone.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    @SheriSim57 Is there a way to download shops from the gallery and have them running without owning them? Because the only shops that work are the premades.
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 455 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    @SheriSim57 Is there a way to download shops from the gallery and have them running without owning them? Because the only shops that work are the premades.

    You have to make a random sim, set them as the owner, and then have them set things for sale.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • CausingNickel0CausingNickel0 Posts: 20 Member
    I purchased my game about one month age and I haven’t met any alien yet. so as it was said, I think they are not that intrusive. Additionally I think it’s one of the best packs :smile:
    Great gameplay and a lot to do <3
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,385 Member
    edited April 18
    xMyrthe wrote: »
    You'll probably never even see any aliens unless you play the scientist career AND actively look for them. An evil scientist btw is awesome to play because the career comes with a ton of crazy appliances and potions that can manipulate other sims around you haha.

    Actually, if you have Get Together, BE CAREFUL. Because Get Together has alien bar nights. The aliens will plague your game if you go to one of them, because it is then forced to generate alien townies.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,083 Member
    edited April 19
    I wouldn't buy it for full price. It's great that you got it for 18 pounds, which is a more reasonable price.
    Some of the careers are nice, but they're not really replayable imo. Magnolia Promenade is small. The retail system is OK. It's a So-So pack.
    I also bought it half off and don't think it was a "waste" of money, but certainly not worth $40.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 2,504 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    xMyrthe wrote: »
    You'll probably never even see any aliens unless you play the scientist career AND actively look for them. An evil scientist btw is awesome to play because the career comes with a ton of crazy appliances and potions that can manipulate other sims around you haha.

    Actually, if you have Get Together, BE CAREFUL. Because Get Together has alien bar nights. The aliens will plague your game if you go to one of them, because it is then forced to generate alien townies.

    If you are willing to use mods you can disable bar nights with mccc. I have disabled them for so long I totally forgot about them.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top