Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Least fav build trends?

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2021
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I want to make a late addendum to my other post in the thread. I normally don't much like these kinds of threads, as they often come off as complaints and little else. I realize now that I (unintentionally, mind you) made myself guilty of that with my previous post. So what I want to say now is a big thank you to everyone who does build for public consumption; your work is not unappreciated, even if I don't personally care for one particular build or another.

I don't share my own work with others simply because it's done only for my own personal tastes and needs. Also I use lots of CC, I keep MOO all the time (originally because I got tired of turning it on and off when I downloaded things from the gallery, lol), and besides those I'm aware that my tastes don't seem widely shared by others.

For the record, there are tons of builds I've downloaded that I absolutely adore. So thank you again, all you creative and hard-working builders!

Thank you for this. Unfortunately this thread "I hate this!" now. :/
    Not hate just least favorite trends like the thread title. I tend to like the tiny home trend because it helps a lot with coming up with ideas for the tiny lots provided in the game. It is ok to not 100% like or dislike something. It what makes us human and not robotic having free will of different tastes in art. We aren't going to like the same music either.

You haven't said anything less than nice. I can't remember if it was this thread, but I've had to report some nasty comments...
    Lol what? So you got a personal problem with me ok? Don't know why you would destroy this perfectly "positive" thread with your hate towards me. Put me on ignore if you don't like me and sure feel free to report anyone including me for not floating your boat. Shame because Betty Newbie was actually nice in the first Sims game and actually was married to someone opposite to her. I guess the username doesn't fit oh well, c'est la vie. By the way thanks to me and others you hate you are able to play on console asking the Gurus who actually worked on that team to do it because console has a more unified processing system.

I read that as you personally have not said anything mean, everything you've said has been nice. And the part about having to report nasty comments was just in general, not about you.
    Thanks. People try to push me into these political sides with the Sims community and it gets exhausting. I mean I have said I don't respect anyone who does death threats to our CMs before. I love that they brought back the Newbies with the Pancake family. They were my first Sims save. I even built their Sims 1 home before.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    I still think the game should make people play test builds before uploading to the gallery. And if someone consistently uploads unplayable lots, they should be barred from posting.

Idk how they’d implement a feature like this but I would definitely support it.

That'll take all the fun out of seeing some fantastic builds though and I like to download and wander through those to admire the imaginations that dreamed them up. Not to play them.

Maybe Maxis could divide the Gallery up somehow for those checked out and get them marked as "play tested" for you.

I can’t wrap my mind around uploading or downloading lots that aren’t meant to actually be played.

Not only do other people who enjoy checking builds out just for inspiration, they also use the lots for story telling. Many love only building and this is not new to the series, dollhouse players have been around since the original Sims. If you do not care for aesthetics it is not that hard to place a couple of boxes together, throw on a roof with doors/windows and add some furniture.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I still think the game should make people play test builds before uploading to the gallery. And if someone consistently uploads unplayable lots, they should be barred from posting.

No way. I use the gallery to dump my houses and save them in the cloud. I'd be mighty upset if there was no way to save houses other than taking the tray files, which are hard to find which are which, and then upload them to a third party site.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

No way. I use the gallery to dump my houses and save them in the cloud. I'd be mighty upset if there was no way to save houses other than taking the tray files, which are hard to find which are which, and then upload them to a third party site.

Other players clearly do that too. Just yesterday I was looking for a specific house and got a few lots that were clearly in the process of being built.

I guess I can say that's a trend I'm not a fan of. I just keep a copy of my tray folder on my desktop (which is backed up on the cloud). It could also go on a thumb drive with my Sims 2&3 files if needed.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    - Having no TV in the living/family room. This bugs so much, it's not even funny. I don't mind where you put the tv, but just put one in please. It's even worse when people put pictures above the fireplace, and still no TV.

- All white or monochromic builds. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate these. They just look so... sterile and hospital-like. Or like a generic hotel room.

- Builds with no clutter whatsoever or so little it's barely even noticeable. I realize this is the opposite of most people's opinions, but like the above, it reminds me of a hospital or generic hotel room and it actually gives me anxiety. I need some form of clutter in houses. Not so much that the house is unfunctional, but I want them to feel lived in/homey.

- No upper kitchen cabinets

- Entirely open floor plans. I don't mind a few open spaces here and there. Like a living room/kitchen open situation. But I hate it when it's the entire house.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited April 2021
    Simburian wrote: »

That'll take all the fun out of seeing some fantastic builds though and I like to download and wander through those to admire the imaginations that dreamed them up. Not to play them.

Maybe Maxis could divide the Gallery up somehow for those checked out and get them marked as "play tested" for you.

I can’t wrap my mind around uploading or downloading lots that aren’t meant to actually be played.

Right? Like what's the point then? I'm extremely minimalist when it comes to stuff I put in my sims houses and sims game in general. It's probably why I don't use cc. I can't see a point in downloading a house if i'm not gonna use it at some point. If my sim can't use the house and everything in it then why have it? Don't mean for this to sound mean in anyway so if it does I apologize.😅 I just genuinely don't get it.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options

Other players clearly do that too. Just yesterday I was looking for a specific house and got a few lots that were clearly in the process of being built.

I guess I can say that's a trend I'm not a fan of. I just keep a copy of my tray folder on my desktop (which is backed up on the cloud). It could also go on a thumb drive with my Sims 2&3 files if needed.

I travel back and forth to see family and I use my PS4 when away from my pc. Unfortunately your personal library is not cross-platformed, only your showcase. To finish my work I had to upload, not ideal but I use WIP in the title.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • Options

Yeah, but the gallery is free and other methods usually cost me money. I'm a modder for many games and I have tons of files and photos all over the place. I already pay for 50TB of space in the cloud and I'm close to max already. So the gallery works for the sims and all my little projects. But all of my builds/sims that are not meant for sharing say "for my own personal use".
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I wouldn't want the gallery restricted. I just want better search options. I would love some way to not have to browse through builds you don't want to see... I'd love to cut down my search time to find playable builds that you don't have to use the MOO cheat to place. I think if that were a thing it would encourage some builders to build more functionally or at least in a way that seemingly a significant amount of the player base would like to see.... and to be better seen and actually praised for their efforts. There is definitely a strong desire for playable houses out there. And yes I do know some MOO builds are playable but it's very hit or miss for me to find them.
    With so many people having issues it would be great to find a solution that would serve more gallery users? For those that think some of us are complaining about them, what is your suggestion to us? Just be quiet about it and go away?
    I really don't care how people chose to build or upload. I just find it hard on my end to find functional builds and what's frustrating is I know they are out there. I'd much rather be praising the builders that do it... especially if I could actually find more of them... and encourage them.
    To me this relates very strongly to the thread topic of what trends do you not like as my main one is over use and even just use of the MOO cheat.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Not sure if it's a "trend" as such but I really dislike how many builds just use bright white lighting in every room. Like lighting makes such a difference to a space for me but I rarely ever see anyone use it in builds. I always try to use warmer toned lighting and lower brightness to make my houses look more homely. For example this is the same room with standard vs customised lighting
    lights.gif
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    - Having no TV in the living/family room. This bugs so much, it's not even funny. I don't mind where you put the tv, but just put one in please. It's even worse when people put pictures above the fireplace, and still no TV.

- All white or monochromic builds. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate these. They just look so... sterile and hospital-like. Or like a generic hotel room.

- Builds with no clutter whatsoever or so little it's barely even noticeable. I realize this is the opposite of most people's opinions, but like the above, it reminds me of a hospital or generic hotel room and it actually gives me anxiety. I need some form of clutter in houses. Not so much that the house is unfunctional, but I want them to feel lived in/homey.

- Entirely open floor plans. I don't mind a few open spaces here and there. Like a living room/kitchen open situation. But I hate it when it's the entire house.

oh boy do i have perfect vlads house for you!

1. i just didn't think vlad would care for tv in his living room so i didn't make room for one and instead added pipe organ, fireplace,bookshelves and painting of vampire f(r)iend >:)

2. his house is mostly b&w and grey cause i themed it after his favourite outfit he is always wearing ;)

3. i can't remember if he has upper cabinets in his kitchen but at least its very small cause he never uses it i may have put like one? but did i remember though.. a mystery

4. the amount of clutter may or may not be enough to be considered clutter hmm...

5. well i guess its not open floor plan though... dang it almost had it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2021
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I want to make a late addendum to my other post in the thread. I normally don't much like these kinds of threads, as they often come off as complaints and little else. I realize now that I (unintentionally, mind you) made myself guilty of that with my previous post. So what I want to say now is a big thank you to everyone who does build for public consumption; your work is not unappreciated, even if I don't personally care for one particular build or another.

I don't share my own work with others simply because it's done only for my own personal tastes and needs. Also I use lots of CC, I keep MOO all the time (originally because I got tired of turning it on and off when I downloaded things from the gallery, lol), and besides those I'm aware that my tastes don't seem widely shared by others.

For the record, there are tons of builds I've downloaded that I absolutely adore. So thank you again, all you creative and hard-working builders!

Thank you for this. Unfortunately this thread "I hate this!" now. :/
    Not hate just least favorite trends like the thread title. I tend to like the tiny home trend because it helps a lot with coming up with ideas for the tiny lots provided in the game. It is ok to not 100% like or dislike something. It what makes us human and not robotic having free will of different tastes in art. We aren't going to like the same music either.

You haven't said anything less than nice. I can't remember if it was this thread, but I've had to report some nasty comments...
    Lol what? So you got a personal problem with me ok? Don't know why you would destroy this perfectly "positive" thread with your hate towards me. Put me on ignore if you don't like me and sure feel free to report anyone including me for not floating your boat. Shame because Betty Newbie was actually nice in the first Sims game and actually was married to someone opposite to her. I guess the username doesn't fit oh well, c'est la vie. By the way thanks to me and others you hate you are able to play on console asking the Gurus who actually worked on that team to do it because console has a more unified processing system.

What? You didn't say anything bad? I was saying other simmer's nasty comments. I'm sorry if what I write is confusing. The comments I was talking about, people were yelling at others for having a different opinion, I really don't care that people think different things than me.
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    I read that as you personally have not said anything mean, everything you've said has been nice. And the part about having to report nasty comments was just in general, not about you.

That's how I interpreted it. You haven't said anything less than nice. Meaning you've only said nice things in this thread.

Yes, this is what I meant. The nasty comments were people replying angrily at other thread members. Scobre was being nice entirely.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a "trend" as such but I really dislike how many builds just use bright white lighting in every room. Like lighting makes such a difference to a space for me but I rarely ever see anyone use it in builds. I always try to use warmer toned lighting and lower brightness to make my houses look more homely. For example this is the same room with standard vs customised lighting
    lights.gif

I'm the opposite. The bright white light is my go-to for gameplay. I'm not a fan of dim lighting. It's just a personal preference of mine. I do have to say that the dim lighting is relaxing though. Also, I like the decor of the bedroom overall.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    lights.gif

I find that golden lighting to be fine for traditional builds or restricted to candles. I use the neutral white for a more modern and fresh look, the teals in the bedspread really popped in the first shot.

The trick is that some lights should be a little dimmer if you want to show off the little details. The intricate sconce from Dine Out looks beautiful when dimmed, you can see the scrolled patterns more clearly. Changing the light undertone can alter the lampshade color, for example if the shade is too orange I will use a cool bluer light for balance.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'm a total hypocrite, I use MMO in my builds but I won't download any that use it. It just breaks it. In mine I at least know what I did and why (usually curtains). But if I upload I always note that in the description! Not mentioning that a build uses MMO is my second pet peeve. Others:

-tons of clutter
    -huge mansions
    -tiny homes
    -pink or blue rooms for babies/toddlers
    -master bathrooms that look like ones you'd get in a hotel suite
    -every kid having their own room

ETA: I still build and download homes like these, I just think these are areas where people could push past the typical a bit more :)

• Options

I think that is why I don't like monochrome builds either. Having spent time in the hospital due to seizures as a kid, I don't care for builds that remind me of going to the hospital.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

That's how I interpreted it. You haven't said anything less than nice. Meaning you've only said nice things in this thread.

Yes, this is what I meant. The nasty comments were people replying angrily at other thread members. Scobre was being nice entirely.
    Ah ok. Yeah sorry about that misunderstanding. I did have a nice time at the beach. I try, it isn't always easy.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited April 2021
    A thread in Game Feedback section asking for better search possibilities on the Gallery:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/988909/gallery-filters#latest
  • Options
    Also I hate seeing this in builds. The concept is nice and I can see why people do it but it's so annoying for actual gameplay
    04-18-21-1-27-04-PM.png
    04-18-21-1-26-54-PM.png
  • Options
    Also I hate seeing this in builds. The concept is nice and I can see why people do it but it's so annoying for actual gameplay
    04-18-21-1-27-04-PM.png
    04-18-21-1-26-54-PM.png

Yes! I hate that, too. Especially when there are window sills, too, and they are covered in clutter and plants. That really does make my eyes twitch. I don't mind clutter, but when it's on shelves and doesn't go down with the walls, I will go on a deleting spree.
  • Options
    I dislike the usage of MOO.

I don't think MOO in itself is bad, but it's when people make builds broken with it that's the problem. For example in this living room this is the closest you can put the coffee table to the couch without MOO, it's way too far out and looks bad imo, but with moo you can put it in a much more reasonable position and it will still function
    04-18-21-2-23-36-PM.png
    04-18-21-2-31-01-PM.png
  • Options
    flippinmaryflippinmary Posts: 180 Member
    edited April 2021
    I hate it when people layer the lights. I downloaded one build and each room had around 6 or more wall lights that were each layered with around 6 lights!
    *Edit - I deleted all the wall lights and put the ceiling saucers in*
  • Options
    flippinmaryflippinmary Posts: 180 Member
    lights.gif

Ah I'm the exact opposite, I prefer bright lights. In my RL house I don't have lamps or wall lights, bright overhead lights & spotlights are for me ;)
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Base game windows. I notice in many build videos (mainly from game changers) that most of their builds use the generic base game suburban windows. I think the base game windows are so ugly, especially since we have some beautiful window sets from Seasons, Cats and Dogs, even Get Famous has some nice subruban generic looking windows. I'm just sick of seeing those base game windows!

Also browns and beiges, can't stand a build that's mainly brown towns, where's the colour?!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top