Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Least fav build trends?

Don't fight in comments. I'm not much fan of this white walls, dark roof modern thing. Bold opinion, don't like columns on corner walls. It doesn't look real too much, bit of a perfectionist, want everything realistic. I don't get upset over columns in other's builds, it doesn't matter that much. Put opinions in replies.

Comments

• Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    Big things have small beginnings.
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Giant windows in the bathroom and pots and pans or knives over the stove.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2021
    orenjiAi wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: everything country, shabby~ and/or granny-chic, and cottagecore. I hate it in real life and I hate it in The Sims.

Give it a rest, Sims team! There are enough in-game assets already fitting this category. Give us something different. There are literally dozens of other aesthetics to choose from.

Hope delving into the non extravagant 70s, all I see is this portrayal funky, disco.
    70s home I knew had brown leather sofas and aditi rugs, red and brown themes, beige, lace curtains, tan carpets, tiled foyer, brown wood theme, shrunk (German,) and tall bland lamps every where. Umbrella handles, lamp stands, dish holders, were colored golden.

Moved in with my grandparents early 2000s, never really changed anything from this home when they bought it long ago, did put some German vases, shrunk, dishes, from when they were stationed there. Aware The Sims is based for U.S. But this home was in U.S. My experience couldn't of been personal.

I do not know if it will censor aditi rug, so this is what I mean. Link. https://images.app.goo.gl/xGESFLHYDXRXRWdX7
    Edit: CAPS was on a word not needed.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    Don't fight in comments. I'm not much fan of this white walls, dark roof modern thing. Bold opinion, don't like columns on corner walls. It doesn't look real too much, bit of a perfectionist, want everything realistic. I don't get upset over columns in other's builds, it doesn't matter that much. Put opinions in replies.

I HATE columns on the corner of walls. I don't know who started that trend, if it was Lilsimsie or whatever, but it makes no sense whatsoever, it doesn't look good and it makes builds a total mess to play in since columns don't disappear in cutaway view.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I HATE columns on the corner of walls. I don't know who started that trend, if it was Lilsimsie or whatever, but it makes no sense whatsoever, it doesn't look good and it makes builds a total mess to play in since columns don't disappear in cutaway view.

Maybe poor decision on non disappearance... Columns are also able to be eye dropped from lots you are not building on, which tells me Sims Team didn't care much about them first place. Hoping was patched.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Haunted houses all looking victorian or granny style or stereotypically spooky in other ways, so that when the haunt occurs it really is no surprise. I had hoped for more everyday houses with subtle hints at paranormal activity: a dorm, a motel, maybe a refurbished old factory with hidden rooms...
    (Yes, it is easy to download a normal house/dorm/freighter and change the lot type to haunted. But the little hidden extras that hint at the place's history are not easy to place myself, because if I place them, I already know what they are and where they are hidden, so the joy of discovery is missing.)
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Hope delving into the non extravagant 70s, all I see is this portrayal funky, disco.
    70s home I knew had brown leather sofas and aditi rugs, red and brown themes, beige, lace curtains, tan carpets, tiled foyer, brown wood theme, shrunk (German,) and tall bland lamps every where. Umbrella handles, lamp stands, dish holders, were colored golden.

Moved in with my grandparents early 2000s, never really changed anything from this home when they bought it long ago, did put some German vases, shrunk, dishes, from when they were stationed there. Aware The Sims is based for U.S. But this home was in U.S. My experience couldn't of been personal.

I do not know if it will censor aditi rug, so this is what I mean. Link. https://images.app.goo.gl/xGESFLHYDXRXRWdX7
    Edit: CAPS was on a word not needed.

I’d love that! I do think we need more basic pieces in-game too.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited April 2021
    depositphotos_25595993-stock-photo-suburbia.jpg

if your house resembles any of houses in this image it makes me indescribably sad

and that would probably make it my least fave build trend

its partly the lack of symmetry, partly the lack of character/decoration and also partly the idk overall boxyboxy in big size

I've tried to make something similar before just so my build fits world around it but oh boy does it make me sad
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    non functioning attics and dormer windows, i don't know why but they just annoy me. Maybe because I spend far too much time making sure my attic spaces are fully functional
    edited April 2021
    Simmingal wrote: »

if your house resembles any of houses in this image it makes me indescribably sad

its partly the lack of symmetry, partly the lack of character and also partly the idk overall boxyboxy in big size

I've tried to make something similar before just so my build fits world around it but oh boy does it make me sad

Suburban doesn't bother me much, it's when they use bulky columns, bulky windows, those big roof frames. Edit: Talked about the homes I've lived around having a different style, decided it was irrelevant.
  • foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member

its partly the lack of symmetry, partly the lack of character/decoration and also partly the idk overall boxyboxy in big size

That to me looks great, in the UK we dont generally have wooden sided properties because (A) we dont have the weather for it and (B) you can only get a mortgage on a fully brick built house over here.

I hate columns too - so annoying as they dont disappear when you cutaway the walls, I also hate front doors that clearly aren't front doors - they are just an ordinary door used as a front door.

I hate cluttered houses - this is why I usually 95 per cent of the time build my own

I hate dark flooring it just makes the rooms look dark, I hate those round disc ceiling lights as they give a weird light off, I prefer and always use wall lights.

I prefer building one storey houses as its easier to see where people are especially if you have a big family.

I really get annoyed when I find a nice place to build and there s a streetlight or big tree right in front of it (off plot) and I know I can't build there because its going to annoy the heck out of me

phew that's all for now I think :D
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    - Columns: For reasons already said above. Usually I will delete columns and add a 1x1 "room" as the column if it's something not directly attached to the build.
    - Diagonal walls: I have no idea why, they just look "off" for some reason. I hateee diagonal walls...
    - Terrain: The world around the lots are flat anyway so it looks weird.
    - Incredibly bright builds with tons of sized down saucer lights.
    - Excessively cluttered builds.
    - Builds with hallways or walkways that are one-tile wide.

That's all I got for now lol.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    - Columns everywhere. I will go through and delete every single interior column in a house.
    - Moveobjectson being used for EVERYTHING and rendering the house unplayable
    - Obscene amounts of plants/outdoor decor
    - Clutter on every surface
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited April 2021
    foxybilly wrote: »

That to me looks great, in the UK we dont generally have wooden sided properties because (A) we dont have the weather for it and (B) you can only get a mortgage on a fully brick built house over here.

idk it just looks so ugly and soulless to me

maybe because as finnish country human I'm used to smaller wooden houses with lots of cute little detail thingies and this is just opposite and it upsets my brain

ofc its all personal opinions though :smile:

(actually i feel like brick kinda saves it after quick google so :lol: id probably take your UK version rather if i had to)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I just want it to be functional
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2021
    I dislike garages being made because we have no cars and it’s wasted space in my opinion.

I dislike the usage of MOO.

I dislike seeing plants and other objects clipping through walls because they were strangely placed.

I dislike adding toilet paper. I always have to delete it because I always put the toilet in another spot and it annoys me having to put the walls up just to delete the TP.

I dislike when lots and homes are uploaded without being play tested first.

I dislike the usage of clutter. Sometimes they put so much clutter, the surface isn’t even usable by my Sim or will slow down the movement on the lot because the lot has so many objects.

I dislike the usage of columns. I always, always play my game with the walls down 100% and the columns impede my view. They have to go.

I also don’t like to see little 1x1 rooms or “closets” or whatever they call them. I don’t understand the point. I always just incorporate that space into another room.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    I don't like the trend of ceiling lights, it exist only these little spotlight and very few alternative. And the alternatives are either not bright enough or too big, so they block the path or the placement of other objects.

I hate the lack of big closets for living rooms and bedrooms. I know, Americans have walk-in closet and don't care about that as long as they don't move into different country, so I just bring it up here. This is pure luxury they have, and they don't even know it. :)
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'm guilty of most of these :#.

I think using columns as trim on houses is builders' way of adding interest to the siding, to kind of give it a less flat look. I do it because the siding with the trim rarely looks right. A lot of the time, some corners on the exterior don't have the trim. It's really frustrating.

For me, I would say probably the chunky roof trim. Also, I'm not a fan of tiny houses. I've built a couple but I don't care for them. I understand the challenge but it's just not for me.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Least favorite build trends? Oh, that's easy. I can't stand that almost every residence has a kids room and monkey bars in the yard. I've never ever seen a yard in real life have one of those, only seen them in parks, but for some reason, every cool house I want to use has at least one. It makes my eyeballs twitch.
    #Team Occult
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    I’m very picky about where the toilets are. I’ve passed up several otherwise nice-looking houses on the gallery because the downstairs toilet was too close to the kitchen. :#
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member

I think using columns as trim on houses is builders' way of adding interest to the siding, to kind of give it a less flat look. I do it because the siding with the trim rarely looks right. A lot of the time, some corners on the exterior don't have the trim. It's really frustrating.

For me, I would say probably the chunky roof trim. Also, I'm not a fan of tiny houses. I've built a couple but I don't care for them. I understand the challenge but it's just not for me.

My hatred for columns comes from them on diagonal walls mainly. I actually don't mind them on certain builds, like Von Haunt Estate looks fine with them in my opinion, or this re-model of Von Haunt Estate used them really well.

ZNsKJbb.png

• bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this style either. The city I'm moving to only has houses like that, and I want to cry every time I think about the fact that I'll never live in an interesting house.

I also don't like modern builds that are boxy with a flat roof. Tiny/micro homes also annoy me. Especially when they're so small that I feel claustrophobic just looking at it in the game. Three tile bathrooms, a single bed in a narrow room and surrounded by clutter, makes me feel panicky.

For context, I've always loved old fashion homes built between the 1700s-1930s.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    edited April 2021
    AyKooChao wrote: »
    I’m very picky about where the toilets are. I’ve passed up several otherwise nice-looking houses on the gallery because the downstairs toilet was too close to the kitchen. :#

I can't stand that either. I try to at least make a small hallway separating the bathroom from the kitchen or dining room.

My hatred for columns comes from them on diagonal walls mainly. I actually don't mind them on certain builds, like Von Haunt Estate looks fine with them in my opinion, or this re-model of Von Haunt Estate used them really well.

ZNsKJbb.png

That's a beautiful house. Did you build you do that?
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top