Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your favourite lighting mods for sims 3?

I feel my game is a bit dark. I have searched in the internet and found a lot of lighting mods. I'ld love to know which one you use (if you use any) to make the game less dark.

Comments

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @texxx78

Take a look at the following thread where several players have detailed their use of lighting mods along with some stunning pictures so you can see what they look like. Just so you are aware you can only use on lighting mod at a time and it will affect all the worlds you are playing. I use one lighting mod per world and change them depending on the world I am playing at the time.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/912853/show-me-your-lighting-mods#latest
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Thank you @SPARKY1922 :)
    You are very welcome @texxx78
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    I swear by BrntWaffles (or was it BrntWffls?) I cant remember, but "burnt waffles" atleast in some variation. They've got some AMAZING skies. I've tried a couple. Can't remember which one I have now, but it's one that sort of fits all worlds. I used to have some that were very "tropical" looking if that makes sense.
    Oh yeah it's called Dream Dimension 2.5 I believe. And the skyrim-star map. But I'd love an ever nicer star map tbh.

And I would love a mod or something for even heavier clouds during rain. Sometimes it's pouring rain and thunder but hardly any real "stormy" look.
    Thanks @shakeninsane i'll take a look :)
    Hi @texxx78

Most of the lighting mods being used on the link I gave you will probably be by the creator Brntwaffles who I had forgotten is on Hiatus so lifesimmer has put the lighting mods up on their site for download. Just remember when downloading/using a lighting mod it changes the world water colors as well so when you find a lighting mod you like you will also get a list of choices for the water colors you might like too. For example in one of my worlds I am using the Fresh cut day sky mod but then I have a choice of 7 different water colors to choose from as well so my advice is to start with one and move down the list until you find the right combination of the sky and water colours you like the look off and want to keep.

More on the following download links:

https://lifesimmerscc.tumblr.com/post/177857413014/this-lighting-mod-is-a-blend-of-aurora-skies

Also you can add seperate moon, stars, sun and clouds mods to a lighting mod if the lighting mod has not tweaked any of those things as part of the package. I think though maybe it might be a good idea to find your fav lighting mods before you start thinking of all the other addons lol

@shakeninsane

Have you ever tried Brntwaffles Midnight hollow sky mod? I haven't as yet but I know other players love the dark vibe?

https://brntwaffles.tumblr.com/post/62465381974/this-is-for-testing-only-its-not-the-final

there is also brntwaffles dystopian lighting

https://mutinyofthecc.tumblr.com/post/90067229199/brntwaffles-dystopian-lighting-mod-heavily/amp

I have never been able to find anything dark either even just a clouds mod. i once did a lot of looking because I wanted to play a kind of dark world where the sun barley shines and there was a lot of crime too :)
    Thank you so much for your availability @SPARKY1922 :)
    edited April 2021
    You are very welcome @texxx78

There is also a Brntwaffles water comparison with names on the following link so you can compare water colors to go with your lighting mod:

https://brntwaffles.tumblr.com/post/45353989496/side-by-side-comparison-of-the-water-types-that
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    I use brntwaffle's perfect day with Nixlisis realistic clouds and brntwaffles's skyrim starry fields.

Screenshot-32.jpg

Screenshot-9.jpg

Screenshot-12.jpg
  • KynanKynan Posts: 468 Member
    I like Clear and Bright by PotatoBalladSims. https://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.com/post/121954130739
    @GraceyManor

Awesome pics I did not want to post mine as I have mixed and matched so much I would not be able to tell the OP what i used lol

@Kynan

I have used that one in the past as well it's a lovely lighting mod :)
    I use brntwaffle's perfect day with Nixlisis realistic clouds and brntwaffles's skyrim starry fields.

Screenshot-32.jpg

Screenshot-9.jpg

Screenshot-12.jpg

Beautiful!
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @GraceyManor

Awesome pics I did not want to post mine as I have mixed and matched so much I would not be able to tell the OP what i used lol

@Kynan

I have used that one in the past as well it's a lovely lighting mod :)

I prefer it because it has less bloom. I have pics on the scenery thread, which most people have already seen.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited April 2021
    I use Uranesian Weather by Nilxis , with its lovely green sunrises ( @Kynan - :p ) alongside their cloud mod, and ShojoAngel's replacement starfield.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    Pary wrote: »
    I use Uranesian Weather by Nilxis , with its lovely green sunrises ( @Kynan - :p ) alongside their cloud mod, and ShojoAngel's replacement starfield.

Haha!! :joy:
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member

WHOA that is a beautiful mod!! I'm amazed. Not sure it fits the worlds I am playing, but non the less, wow. The cloudy days are amaaaaazing!!!
    edited April 2021

ShojoAngel’s mod still works? Mine stopped working(stars are big) and even brntwaffles Skyrim stars no longer work
    Hi @GraceyManor

ShojoAngel's replacement starfield is still working fine for me too..
    Hi @GraceyManor

ShojoAngel's replacement starfield is still working fine for me too..

Odd.I still get big star fields.I took it out and tried brntwaffle's skyrim and that one doesn't work either.
    Even tried repairing my files.
    @GraceyManor

That is odd because as you know it's usually because of another similar mod conflict. Could it be another mod that does conflict but the info on the files it uses is not listed correctly? I really have no idea on this one..
    @GraceyManor

That is odd because as you know it's usually because of another similar mod conflict. Could it be another mod that does conflict but the info on the files it uses is not listed correctly? I really have no idea on this one..

I know brntwaffle's mod works with their lighting mod and realistic clouds mod because it was a recommended combination.
    And I knoew the smaller stars couldn't work with another star field replacement, so I got rid of brntwaffle's skyrim, cleared the cache
    and installed shojo's mod.It worked for a a long time, and then recently stopped working as well.
    @GraceyManor

have you tried it alone without other lighting/moon and clouds mods to see if it works on it own properly?
    @GraceyManor

have you tried it alone without other lighting/moon and clouds mods to see if it works on it own properly?

I haven't was afraid if I move those, they'll stop working to. :D
    Might try that later.Thanks! :smile:
    edited April 2021
    hahaha sorry for laughing but i truly understand the afraid to move anything sentiment.. good luck with it :)
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on