Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In your opinion, which Sims game did Fame the best?

nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
Hi,

If there's one thing I love in TS4, it's the Get Famous expansion. But I was wondering how everyone felt about it and Fame in the Sims in general.

I have fond memories of TS1 Superstar because it was very Hollywood-ish, high-fashion, very fancy, but I recon that there wasn't much to do aside from spamming the same activities over and over. Still, the minigames were fun, the world was pretty and it was a fun take on the celebrity world.

TS2 sadly skipped it completely and I'll bring that sadness with me into the GRAVE.

TS3 was... Forgettable?

And then comes TS4 Get Famous. I love how the Fame system is implemented in TS4, you're not limited to a few activities anymore and you can basically become a celebrity in so many ways. HOWEVER, I wish the world that came with the expansion also brought fashion, haute couture and catwalk and wasn't so "movie-star" oriented. Even the titles seem to refer to the actor career and not celebrity in general.

What about you?
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I Love the Celebrity System in Sims4 such an improvement over Sims3. Basically, even a no talent nobody could become famous for just knowing a star, in Sims3. Silliness. Now, they have to work for it and talent does matter. :) I never played the original Sims, but was introduced to Sims2. I didn't miss the fame portion because I hadn't experienced it. While I was so grateful for Showtime and the singing career so that my Sim could finally realize his dream of becoming a Rock Star, he's now a Global Superstar at age sixteen. Thanks to an awesome mod called Road to Fame.

aw0bDua.jpg
    h74WLOm.jpg

The only thing that's missing is his being able to accept the Starlight Accolade for his music, which he got after Uni when he entered the Entertainment career.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    So sims 3 fame system was just not my thing. I hated how it worked and how easy fame was to gain. I also never felt a lot of benefit came from it.

Sims 4 in my opinion as well did it best. It’s well balanced so it’s not ridiculously easy to gain fame but not too hard either. They made it so you can gain fame from so many things which I’ve always enjoyed and found added some realism. The perk system is also nice and some of the quirks are very entertaining. It’s just a well down system.

Didn’t play Sims 1 superstar sadly so can’t say what I feel about that. Only had one sims 1 expansion.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I like it way more in TS4. I hated that they added stuff like “woohooed with an occult” as a thing that would damage your reputation and make sims mad at you, or the way you could accidentally get famous by chatting at the water cooler or whatever if your coworkers were celebrities.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I have not played sims 1, so I cannot comment that, and sims 2 did not have a fame system. Comparing 3 to 4, 4 obviously wins, there's no question about it, and I expect it to. Fame has entire pack dedicated to it in sims 4, while it was only an afterthought in latenight for sims 3.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    I have not played sims 1, so I cannot comment that, and sims 2 did not have a fame system. Comparing 3 to 4, 4 obviously wins, there's no question about it, and I expect it to. Fame has entire pack dedicated to it in sims 4, while it was only an afterthought in latenight for sims 3.

Actually, it was finally given an EP, called Showtime.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    I think in general TS4 does fame better, but I absolutely miss the Golden Age aesthetic of The Sims 1's "Studio Town". I loved being able to build my own sets, liked seeing the little behind-the-scenes things like the guy in the soundroom. The minigames were fun, and I remember having my Sims check to see who was hot or not on a regular basis. The Sims 3 did have bands, though, which I miss sorely. But agreed, fame was entirely too easy to achieve in that one. TS4 isn't as grindingly hard as TS1's game-getting, etiher....remember having to constantly network with the "right people" to make sure you had enough star power among your friends? You'd be all set for promotion until one of your pals lost fame, then whoops!
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    4 fame system is better for all the reasons already said. I hated it in 3. I was expecting Late Night expansion so much. In what concerns to the celebrity system, it was such a disapointment. The thing i hated that i still remember is receiving luxury items as daily gifts for being a celebrity, since level 1. Impossible to be poor. Specially because it was super easy to be level 1. All my sims were level 1 without doing anything relevant...
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I recall ts3 fame to be gained easily when i played with it long ago which caused me to turn it off. I dont know if they have changed something later since i cannot pinpoint when was it that i tried it, but i have played with it recently after a long time and it is such a grind to achieve 5 stars, i have considered to just drop that save because it was getting frustrating. It could be because i was using opportunities to advance and those might raise it slower than networking? anyway, Sims 4 fame does not feel as grindy to me so far in comparison and also seems easier to be more versatile and thus more fun, but like it was stated by another user, it had a whole dedicated pack so it benefited from that. Overall, i think it is well made so my vote goes to it but i have to state that i have not played sims 1 so i cannot give an opinion on how its fame system ranks.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited April 2021
    I loved Sims 1 Superstar. Becoming famous was a challenge, and like you said, I loved the glamour and Old Hollywood aesthetic of Studio Town.

Sims 3 fame system was awful. It relied too heavily on making famous friends, and not on any type of skill or job. I did like some of the town gossip in the Sims 3 ("Miranda had an illegitimate child! GASP!") because it was silly, although a bit dated.

I agree with you that Sims 4 did a really good job making fame very versatile and applicable across multiple areas- Famous writers, famous scientists, famous actors, etc. The Fame Perk system is really nice. Overall, I think Sims 4 did a good job with Fame!

I would have LOVED a model career in the career and the return of the Catwalk from Sims 1 Superstore.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited April 2021
    hmm... I'll go with urbz :lol:

was it realistic? well no...
    does it make any sense in any way?
    not really no...

but its about last time i really was into the whole be famous thing

like it was kind of like visiting different hoodz and trying to become cool according to their ideas and then gaining access to their cool people hangouts and slowly making all those signs in game being your sims face and such

kinda like running "im cool person" campaign :lol:

ts1
    superstar i don't think i ever had but it interests me some cause it sound potentially fun
    ts3
    i didn't really care for the fame aspect that much i just loved doing the performances and building stages to do them
    ts4....
    idk i feel it relies too much on the whole social media thing

i miss the performances and parties and such

and i don't like how there is no way to make your sims not give a flying f*** about celebs

because in my mind say vlad for example shouldn't be like teenage fangirl around some random idk thorne bailey

its not like vlad even owns tv or computer to know em like come on p_p

i mean sure its cute when sims be fangirling my sims but also like give me reward trait or something so they don't do it

+randomized townies getting famous just ruins everything for me cause like whats the point of being famous if random townies can just get famous out of nowhere on their own

i just wanted fabulous accolades not bunch of randoms drowning out any real celebs in game

aaand also family reacting to each other as celebs is just silly...
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    I like it way more in TS4. I hated that they added stuff like “woohooed with an occult” as a thing that would damage your reputation and make sims mad at you, or the way you could accidentally get famous by chatting at the water cooler or whatever if your coworkers were celebrities.

This. I too really prefer the way they have done it in Sims 4. In TS3, I used mods to actually prevented a lot of the nonsense of the way it was done in that game. For me what broke the camel's back was I had a human sim who was married to a vampire. They had several grown children, and she was an elder when something eventually caused her to gain a star. Then all of a sudden she was being shamed for being married to a vampire, even her own children would treat her badly. To me, it would make me think of the days in the past where people would treat a couple badly because they were not of the same skin color, aka race.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! FYI: I moved this thread to the Sims Franchise section. :)
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,934 Member
    I always liked Sims 1 celebs for one reason: Nervous breakdowns, first time I was playing Superstar and saw my sim rocking on the floor muttering to themselves was creepy. Its really like a precursor to Aspiration Failure, minus the Therapist. But its neat how celebs were also mentioned in magazines and how said breakdown happened to X Sim or other basic text...

Also that creepy stalker/obsessed fan, guy can break into your house and steal valubles like your Simmy award, which... Is neat, although definitely unsettling, its fun though to tell a vacation leader and watch them berate and slap him.

But really, I like the difficulty, it takes work to get stars which is a pretty grueling process even for the Sims 1, it isnt there with you for life like the Sims 3. And all your hard work gets a permament gold spinning star above your head at the very end. Extremely cool and feels like theres a huge payoff for it.

...Also its optional and isn't forced on you unlike 3...
    L9q8VGi.png
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    I love studio town, and I think Sims 1's version of fame, when compared against the Sims 1 itself, is executed very well. I think in the franchise as a whole, Sims 4 does it best.

I always opt my household out of fame in the Sims 3, and the paparazzi are so random and annoying lmao. I downloaded a custom populated hood, with no celebrities, but for some reason a flock of paparazzi just congregated in the park.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I never played ts1 version so can't speak for that one. Never been a big fan in general of the fame system in any of the the games though. While it's easier to lose fame in ts4, it's way too easy to gain fame in either one(ts3 & ts4) in my opinion. I wish you didn't earn fame points automatically for things you did unless you specifically put your sim on the road to fame. That part has always bothered me.

@Simmingal I agree with you on this one. Urbz had the best fame system of them all.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited April 2021
    I have only played 3 and 4, but I prefer the fame system in Sims 4, where you have to actually work for it, opposed to Sims 3 where it happened kind of randomly. It was really weird when the husband of my sim, who never left home, did anything to gain fame and overall refused to interract with anyone except for his family suddenly became a celebrity just because his wife was one. Poor man became even more determined to hide after that, because the paparazzi was everywhere.
    Sorak4 wrote: »
    I always liked Sims 1 celebs for one reason: Nervous breakdowns, first time I was playing Superstar and saw my sim rocking on the floor muttering to themselves was creepy. Its really like a precursor to Aspiration Failure, minus the Therapist. But its neat how celebs were also mentioned in magazines and how said breakdown happened to X Sim or other basic text...

Also that creepy stalker/obsessed fan, guy can break into your house and steal valubles like your Simmy award, which... Is neat, although definitely unsettling, its fun though to tell a vacation leader and watch them berate and slap him.

But really, I like the difficulty, it takes work to get stars which is a pretty grueling process even for the Sims 1, it isnt there with you for life like the Sims 3. And all your hard work gets a permament gold spinning star above your head at the very end. Extremely cool and feels like theres a huge payoff for it.

...Also its optional and isn't forced on you unlike 3...

Gosh you really make me realize how much I've missed out on. Wasn't into gaming when The Sims first came out. Oh, man they had Simmy awards, too?
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    yes sims 4 fame is better but we need bands
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    In terms of the actual fame system, it's TS4. It's good that they didn't tie it to any one career, and that you could be famous for different things, including things in other DLC. The perks system is also quite fleshed out. The versatility really sells it

But overall, I'd have to give it to The Sims Superstar, because the celebrity gameplay was fun and exciting. We got acting, singing, and modeling activities and mini-games.

Late Night has the worst one, and I don't enable it for my households anymore
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Superstar was the best.
    Sims 4 get famous relies too much on social media to become famous and still has annoying photographers and silly perks like getting mood change potions sent every day. Certain fame perks try to force social media too, like my aspiring author was constantly getting requests to make online videos about games and fishing. I had to take that perk as I wanted the perk above it.
    The fame system in sims 3 isn’t perfect but I still prefer it to sims 4. It doesn’t make my sims lives easier.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2021
    If someone hasn't played Superstar they missed a lot. That's when EPs were actually EPs. Those Sims had to work their rear ends off to get famous. No such things as sit at a pc and get some followers and become famous (TS4) and no just meeting a celeb (TS3) and suddenly famous, too.

They also missed all the careers and you didn't have to just go to those places to fill a task. Your Sim could use all of the props for the different careers that pertain to fame and gain experience etc. This helped actually to get them up the ladder of their own career choice/player choice.

They missed the hustle and bustle of the 'world' the tension of doing the performance correctly in front of the director or fashion coach etc. and the music booth was a hoot. My Sim was thrown out a lot because they were told you can't sing your way out of a paper bag, get out of here! lol

You couldn't just walk up to a famous Sim and suddenly have a relationship and become famous but had to work very, very hard to gain that Sim as a friend.
    The studios were the best, and it mattered if your Sim was a low level celeb or a high level celeb because you got better objects and perks if you could afford to go the right studios and leave behind the dive places.

The only draw back about Superstar was once your Sim was famous the interactions with other Sims (even in family) was sorely changed. The only interactions you could do with the other Sims was things like sign autograph etc. No longer could your Sim actually interact with even family members like a normal/regular Sim can.

And they missed the traffic jams. ROFL. My Sims often almost died trying to leave the studio but outside there is a huge traffic jam with limos and celebs and fans blocking the way to get to their own transportation or limo (if famous enough) etc. It was just like someone would imagine it back in the day. Where the studio towns were a very busy place to be.

And the many careers in one EP. No patches, and or extra packs needed. No milking. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    The system added toward the end of TS1 was really good. I turn the system off in both TS3 and TS4, because both are terrible implementations. The TS3 system is just stupid. The TS4 system is almost, but not quite, tolerable.
    @Cinebar Oh, that's too bad the celebrity cost a Sim their life, essentially. Not being able to truly interact with others in any semblance of 'normal'. Guess I really didn't miss out on as much as I thought. I actually enjoy the system in Sims4.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Def enjoy it more in TS4. In TS3 I turned all the paparazzi into toad sims
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Actually, it was finally given an EP, called Showtime.

If I recall correctly, showtime didn't even come with a fame system, I wouldn't call that a fame pack at all. You needed late night in order for it to incorporate a fame system. Showtime was also pretty universally disliked, I never cared for it too much. I only enjoyed the singing and genies honestly.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png