Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Interactions with the Player Not in TS4.

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
I would like to discuss the things you have seen across the series where Sims in the game interact with the player AKA camera and are no where to be found in TS4.
If you have such knowledge or have seen this in the past three games please post!

I was thinking about TS4 and of course TS2 and those comparison threads of the 50 things etc. However, no has posted one about the interactions the Sims in the series have done in the past that aren't even in TS4.

Recognition and interaction with the player.

1. Sims in TS2 may walk in and turn off a TV on a community lot then look up at the camera and wink at the player. (I would consider this an interaction with the player as if they know you are there). I wonder who decided to add things like that.

2. In TS1 and TS2 when Sims look for a job the game's popup ask the player 'Do you want Johnny(insert name) to take this job?' If they don't have one. If they do have one but you want to change it and get a new job, the Sim informs the player 'I already have a job, should I take this job?' or something to that effect.

3. In TS2, When Sims are out and do something a townie sees and likes and or your other Sims on a lot (not playing) they may give the player two thumbs up for whatever it is that the player did with another Sim. This happens more often if the player makes a Sim flirt somehow with another Sim, like goose a Sim, another Sim on the lot may give the player two thumbs up while looking right at the player. Weird but funny. TS2 developers had a sense of humor it would seem.

4. In TS2 when Sims don't want to do something, they grumble and look at the camera and express this by either clinching fists by sides, and shrugging shoulders. But they always look at the player as if "Don't make me." Darn it. lol They do this in TS1 but never looked at the player/camera.

5. In TS2 other Sims (traits/personality) may rub their hands together if you command them do something and will also look at the player (And it always hits the mark of the camera when they do this) straight in your eyes (well programmed to hit the exact mark of the camera.

6. In TS2 and TS3 if you zoom closer, sometimes the Sim will look at the camera, straight into your eyes or up at you, as if to say 'yes, what?' lol

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Question, do you miss these interactions with the player and do you think it adds depth or is it just too creepy and like TS4 doesn't have any of this?
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I didn't know about the things you posted about or I just never paid any attention to them.

But, I'm pretty sure I remember either in TS1 or TS2 that it felt like a sim would literally be arguing with you if you directed them to do something and their needs were too low, they'd stomp their feet and throw a fit and often, literally just refuse to do it until you took care of whatever need they were ticked off about. And it wasn't just "simulation lag" because the sim would have a thought bubble of what it was they wanted to do.

I always thought that was so funny.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member

Because I don't actively play TS/TS2 I won't remember much details but TS3 is what I play consistently enough for 11+ years.

There are subtle ways that Sims interact with the player. For example, sometimes my Sims will perform an unscripted scenario outside of social interactions such as standing super close to the Sim they have a crush on and then proceeding to look at the camera to showcase that this is something of their own personal want outside of the wish system.

I kind of missed it but my Sim proceeded to stand super close to a classmate and which the the classmate sidestepped. Several things getting revealed here.
    Screenshot-553.jpg

Screenshot-555.jpg

Sometimes Sims will even question or try to understand why I chose or allowed a specific action and give their opinion about it through unscripted animations and/or thought bubbles outside of interactions.
    Screenshot-121.jpg

Screenshot-125.jpg

Screenshot-126.jpg

Going back to the standing close to the Sims they fancy, even children do this and yes there are childhood crushes and even unrequited love. Basically this body language is something I consider the Sim communicating with me of who they want to be with. Also, there's a lovesome look that Sims give to the one they are fond of.
    Screenshot-300.jpg

Screenshot-5081.jpg

Screenshot-5082.jpg

Screenshot-2851.jpg

Screenshot-3021.jpg

Sometimes I notice what my Sims find attractive about other Sims.
    Screenshot-4336.jpg

Screenshot-2689.jpg

Screenshot-2692.jpg

Screenshot-1746.jpg

Screenshot-140.jpg

Thought bubbles, dreams and so on are more ways for Sims to communicate. Learning how to decipher the code takes time for me as I'm still learning. For example, the diamond I've taken a look at in my previous screenshots and tried to figure out a common scenario in which Sims use this icon. I've come to the conclusion that it is related to relationships. "Represents recognition or appreciation concerning a relationship"
    Too bad there aren't many Simmers into iconology in TS3. The A.I. I've observed does indeed use these icons to convey their thoughts, feelings, wants, etc.
    Screenshot-293.jpg

This scenario was just before Kibwe autonomously asked Nazari to watch the stars. I have taken note that in most cases whenever he would ask her how is her day, she would often respond with the attracted moodlet. Though so far she has not initiated any romantic interactions which I think is because of her perceptive trait. He is a married man with a cheating wife a huge family so makes sense to proceed with caution.
    Screenshot-1553.jpg

There's also Sims sometimes dropping actions out of the queue because they disagree or even annoyed with me over something. And sometimes Sims will even look at the camera with an annoyed or upset face to let me know. I'm pretty sure there are many more subtle or not so subtle ways that Sims communicate with players.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    @Deshong04 I laughed out loud at the pics with the sims obviously looking at what they found attractive on another sim!

Loved your pics~!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Have often seen those sorts of things in TS2. There are even times when the sim will look up at me/camera even when there have been no instructions given. Definitely has the feel of they 'know' we are out there and communicate by the methods described and show. Have yet to see anything even remotely close to that in TS 4.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Have often seen those sorts of things in TS2. There are even times when the sim will look up at me/camera even when there have been no instructions given. Definitely has the feel of they 'know' we are out there and communicate by the methods described and show. Have yet to see anything even remotely close to that in TS 4.

Yes, and it's not even about breaking that fourth wall as developers say, but the fact we aren't them and they aren't us sort of feeling when you play the older games which I prefer. It's not like oh, that's me looking at me, no it's more like that Sim knows I'm here. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Most definitely! I happened two days ago, the sim not only looking but happy with a big smile.