Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Giving up on Custom Content mods...

Every time I have a problem with the Sims 4 it usually boils down to addons. So why bother? How does everyone handle this? I have had to remove and reinstall addons countless times due to issues. Please share.

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2021
    Are you referring to gameplay mods, CAS custom content, or Buy/Build Mode custom content?

I personally use very, very little CAS and Buy/Build Mode CC just because I feel like this iteration it's not really necessary. I actually like the objects and clothes in the game and since I own every pack but one, I have a lot of variety. I know everyone's play style is different and some people like to play based on "themes" so those folks will need to download a lot of CC I'm sure, but it's not needed for me.

Gameplay mods is another story entirely. I use A LOT of mods. Apparently, I'm very particular about what I want to see and what I want Sims to be able to do. I think I have like 200 mods just from one creator alone lol. You have so many choices out there. Having to update mods every time an update is released is a bit annoying and off-putting. So, I've decided to just stick to a handful of creators and major mods. That makes it feel less overwhelming.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I've personally never had a problem with cc in sims 4. As in CAS items/clothes/furniture. I have so much i add to it daily and my folder is exploding. Zero issues😅😅.
    Now if you mean mods such as the ones that change the way the game behaves then yeah. They always cause issues. And a lot of problems simmers have but don't want to accept because they feel they can't play without them, boils down to mods. I speak from experience 😌
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Are you referring to gameplay mods, CAS custom content, or Buy/Build Mode custom content?

I personally use very, very little CAS and Buy/Build Mode CC just because I feel like this iteration it's not really necessary. I actually like the objects and clothes in the game and since I own every pack but one, I have a lot of variety. I know everyone's play style is different and some people like to play based on "themes" so those folks will need to download a lot of CC I'm sure, but it's not needed for me.

Gameplay mods is another story entirely. I use A LOT of mods. Apparently, I'm very particular about what I want to see and what I want Sims to be able to do. I think I have like 200 mods just from one creator alone lol. You have so many choices out there. Having to update mods every time an update is released is a bit annoying and off-putting. So, I've decided to just stick to a handful of creators and major mods. That makes it feel less overwhelming.

I'm with you on which mods I use. I stick with the "big" ones and the creators who I know update consistently. And frankly, there have been so many changes in the past several months that I haven't added any of my mods.

Generally CAS and Buy/Build CC don't get messed up nearly as much by the updates. Buy CC chairs got messed up this past time, but I don't use any of those. (I mostly have that CC for giving me the colors I prefer for things like rugs, curtains, floors and walls. I miss the TS3 color wheel for that.) And I use *mostly* CAS CC to get the colors. But what's gotten messed up I tend not to use anyway (hairs, skins, some makeup) because I'm pretty much fine with what the game provides for those (except for the one blush, one eyeshadow and one lipstick that I like. Although I've had those a very long time, before we had the sliders for the EA makeup. When I'm doing the "post new update playthrough" which is totally without any CC of any kind, I've found ones that I use consistently. If my "favorites" get messed up at some point, I'll just quit using them.)
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Thanks for sharing. I've wondered if it was worth the trouble. Especially, since there has been a lot of changes with stuff added to the game this year as someone mentioned.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • CloudStrifeCloudStrife Posts: 28 Member
    it is if you get the right combo of free mods
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I'm guilty of using a lot of mods, too. CC is a must for me. And game play mods are a must if you want certain features in the game, or you're dealing with some nasty glitches and bugs. It takes some time to update mods every month after the teams release an update, so I've been waiting to update my game until I have time to go through all of my mods and sometimes that can take two months because I'd rather play. And I play in off line mode until I'm ready. There hasn't been anything in the last few updates so exciting I can't live without some kind of new content anyway. The bug fixes have been pretty much useless, but manage to blow up mods in spite of not really fixing much. Just go slowly and be picky about who you download content from. TSR is my main site for all things CC and BB. I seldom download from any other site. Plus I never had any issues with anything I have from them until we got the skin tones and hair updates from EA. It all comes down to you and if you're feeling overwhelmed. I felt overwhelmed when I first began adding all the mods I have. It was scary. But I decided having mods gives me more control over the way I want to play my game. Without waiting for the teams to fix the game or add my kind of new content and features. Take your time and play off line for a few weeks. Update the mods you use when you can. There are no rules that say we have to update on the day it's released. So speaking for myself, yes the monthly updates are a pain. But playing without mods is an even bigger pain in the....... :)
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Did you decide to get rid of mods and cc?
    Another advantage to cc is that if any update breaks something major like the skin update, sims4studio is always quick to put out batch fixes. That's why if you download old furniture cc you should always run it through the batch fixes before loading the game with it. That's the only thing I can think that can go wrong with cc. And even then it won't glitch out your game like a mod will.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    I get bad CC all the time and I just...

delete it and move on.

If I find a bad CAS item I put it on a sim with a name like "bad data", then load that sim into 'Sims 4 Tray importer' to find the file with the bad item and delete it, or load it into Sims 4 Studio and fix it.

Some things are well done, others aren't. Keep backup saves.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it: