Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New packs: tell me about them!

Hello all,
in honor of national pet day yesterday i finally got Cats and Dogs, strangerville and My first pet! Tell me about them! What are the best features of each?
Favorite EP/SP
Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
Sims 3 Showtime
Sims 3 Generations
My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227

Comments

• TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Cats and dogs. The pets themselves. Strangerville. The town very beautifull. My first pet. The rodent cage. I really only like Strangerville though.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited April 2021
    I recently commented in another thread how much I love Strangerville because you can create paranoid conspiracy theorists, science labs, lovely Victorian homes, alien planets, and cowboys, all from the same pack. It's a beautiful world, and I love the size of it. It's fun to play the story through at least once.

The best feature of My First Pet is definitely the rodent cage. One thing I love about the rodent cage is:
    The pet travels and sends you postcards! <3

Cats and Dogs: Naturally, the best thing is the cats and dogs. I love that you can create other kinds of pets from the cat/dog templates. I've downloaded amazing horses, cows, tigers, koalas, hippos, and more from the gallery, all made with this pack.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I recently commented in another thread how much I love Strangerville because you can create paranoid conspiracy theorists, science labs, lovely Victorian homes, alien planets, and cowboys, all from the same pack. It's a beautiful world, and I love the size of it. It's fun to play the story through at least once.

The best feature of My First Pet is definitely the rodent cage. One thing I love about the rodent cage is:
    The pet travels and sends you postcards! <3

Cats and Dogs: Naturally, the best thing is the cats and dogs. I love that you can create other kinds of pets from the cat/dog templates. I've downloaded amazing horses, cows, tigers, koalas, hippos, and more from the gallery, all made with this pack.

ohh tigers! sounds cool!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    Strangerville: I love that the story waits for me and doesn't force me to do this-go there now. Don't do the aspiration in your first playthrough, it'll only rush you through and that would be waste. Once you hit stage 2 of the story the world will change and there's nothing stopping you from keeping it that way forever.

Cats & Dogs: With pets traits noticeably matter. A lazy dog is a very different experience from a inquisitive one.

My first pet: The clothes.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2021
    Best Features:

StrangerVille: The world looks really good when you rid it of the infection. I don’t care much for the storyline but I did it once to get it over with and never again. I also like the military career, I like when packs offer new career options. There is also a new laptop computer.

Cats & Dogs: Again, the world looks nice but the last time I played (which was maybe 2 years ago) the world was buggy. Certain large lots would be super slow to play on and I only experienced it in this world. I honestly find pets a bit boring so I don’t bother with them. I could go without the Vet career entirely just because I do not like active careers. I do like the seafood recipes.

My First Pet: I love the coffee table that looks like an aquarium. That is the only reason this pack is installed. I still don’t think it was necessary for the guinea pig animal to be 4 separate items in build mode. They could’ve done it the way they did the bug box from Eco Living where you just click on it and change which bug you want to show. The whole space element they added to the guinea pig pet is weird to me.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited April 2021
    Strangerville: besides everything already said, don't forget to try the bug machine. You can bug sims and blackmail them, and even make a living of that. And you can use it in any world. Although it is used in the Strangerville story it isn't exclusive to it.

Cats and Dogs: i can't mention anything specific to this one... i just love having pets, specially dogs 🧡 I've never dived into the vet career or anything specific to this pack. I haven't played in BB for a couple of rl years...

My first pet:
    I love to complete the postcard collection. Although i'm not into collecting and i only very rarely try to complete a collection, i have actually completed this one 3 times :)
    The postcard collection isn't exclusive to this pack but it completes it in a funny way. You have to own a rodent and send him away for adventures. He will sometimes be back with a postcard. The animation is really cool :)
    I don't have much more to say of this one...
    Thanks all! i just have a question, should i make a new sim to solve the strangerville case?
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    Thanks all! i just have a question, should i make a new sim to solve the strangerville case?

Personally, I solved the case with a Sim I was already playing with. You get a special trait when you solve the case, which is cool and some unique socials as well I believe. Unfortunately, my Sim ended up dying shortly after lol so I never really got to enjoy their success.

Should you make an entirely new Sim? Eh idk. If you want to. I know some people who like to reset the storyline so they can do it over and over again with multiple Sims.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    Cats & Dogs is my favorite expansion pack. I love everything about it, but my favorite things are cats and dogs themselves, the vet career and Brindleton Bay. BB can be annoying with Seasons, though, because of the thunderstorms that happen almost every day during summer.

My First Pet has cute b&b items for toddlers and children, I use them a lot. Rodents are funny with their crazy adventures.

Strangerville has great CAS and b&b items and I love the world and the army career. Possessed Sims are fun to see walking around the town, seeing them and the creepy sounds that you can hear everywhere creates a unique atmosphere.
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Personally, I solved the case with a Sim I was already playing with. You get a special trait when you solve the case, which is cool and some unique socials as well I believe. Unfortunately, my Sim ended up dying shortly after lol so I never really got to enjoy their success.

Should you make an entirely new Sim? Eh idk. If you want to. I know some people who like to reset the storyline so they can do it over and over again with multiple Sims.

yeah i started playing it with George Cashwell (the elderly pilot) but um, i'll see maybe i'll just use some young adult in another world to solve it!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    Chazzzy wrote: »

yeah i started playing it with George Cashwell (the elderly pilot) but um, i'll see maybe i'll just use some young adult in another world to solve it!

I totally forgot about that guy lol I think he died before I had a chance to do anything with him.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    I made a special sim to do the story and put him in the military career. But, it’s up to you whether you want to use a sim you already have or not.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Cats and Dogs. Sweet little mystery involved with the lighthouse island.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Cats and Dogs: If you have an adventurous dogs you can have a series of rabbithole adventures with them. Create a pet is vey detailed and you can do a lot with it. There's a nice variety in pet traits as well, and they affect autonomous behavior more than the sims traits do. I have been enjoying the veterinarian career so far, but I'm still pretty new at that. The world is pretty but I don't love its weather settings. I like the premades from that pack.

MFPS: I like this pack for the small animals, which suit some of my families. I agree that they could have made it one cage that you fill differently since they all look alike and take up space in the bb catalog, but I do like that they have rats and hedgehogs, both pets that I have had in real life in the past. Some of the BB matches the Cats and Dogs stuff.

Strangerville: The world is really pretty and I like the CAS and BB a lot. I had a good time with the story, now the hero is just raising her kids in relative peace and quiet but I plan to have one of her grandchildren go exploring where they shouldn't in their teens and wake the mother back up and see how fun the plot is a second time.
    Daephene wrote: »
    Cats and Dogs: If you have an adventurous dogs you can have a series of rabbithole adventures with them. Create a pet is vey detailed and you can do a lot with it. There's a nice variety in pet traits as well, and they affect autonomous behavior more than the sims traits do. I have been enjoying the veterinarian career so far, but I'm still pretty new at that. The world is pretty but I don't love its weather settings. I like the premades from that pack.

MFPS: I like this pack for the small animals, which suit some of my families. I agree that they could have made it one cage that you fill differently since they all look alike and take up space in the bb catalog, but I do like that they have rats and hedgehogs, both pets that I have had in real life in the past. Some of the BB matches the Cats and Dogs stuff.

Strangerville: The world is really pretty and I like the CAS and BB a lot. I had a good time with the story, now the hero is just raising her kids in relative peace and quiet but I plan to have one of her grandchildren go exploring where they shouldn't in their teens and wake the mother back up and see how fun the plot is a second time.

so the strangerville mystery can be played over and over? good to know!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Not gonna say much because it's already been said but I used 3 vampires to solve the mystery together. More fun then just one lonely sim. The vampiric run was so useful to speed around. Especially when you get to the secret lair.
    And I took my time. Spent days or probably more (real time) solving it little by little while watching the strange changes take place around the house and strangerville as sims went about their everyday lives. I think it's a waste to just speed through the story. Enjoy it! I do plan on going through it again but have been to busy doing other things in sims 😅😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I have a sim who likes to go on adventures and solve mysteries, such as the lighthouse, Jungle Adventure, Paranormal investigator and such, so for me it made sense to have her go to Strangerville also. But I could totally see you making a character designed for that!
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
    Not gonna say much because it's already been said but I used 3 vampires to solve the mystery together. More fun then just one lonely sim. The vampiric run was so useful to speed around. Especially when you get to the secret lair.
    And I took my time. Spent days or probably more (real time) solving it little by little while watching the strange changes take place around the house and strangerville as sims went about their everyday lives. I think it's a waste to just speed through the story. Enjoy it! I do plan on going through it again but have been to busy doing other things in sims 😅😅

i don't have the vampires pack but thanks for the info. in a sense it makes sense to use not just sims but special sims like vampires, or even witches for that matter.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations