Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rags-to-Riches world-building type challenge suggestions and input requested

So I really want to challenge myself to play with my sims for longer and build a world around them. I've tried dozens of legacy, rags-to-riches, homeless challenges, but always lose interest after it's no longer hard. Sometimes I manage to eek to a second generation, maybe where the second gen has a kid, and then poof! Interest gone, and either I give up on the sims for a while (and start a new save when I come back), or start a new save immediately.

But I have an idea I'm hoping to get some input on to help round it out: what if I did a neighborhood/world rags-to-riches style thing with aging off? So in one plot, I have a veterinarian rags-to-riches, and I stop playing that when I get comfortable/bored, and move to the next plot, with a new rags-to-riches, to keep the difficulty level up? And then, as I go, I get more and more background characters. My families can play together as I gather more of them with kids, my vet rags-to-riches family treats the pets of another family, etc.

So a couple questions for you guys:

1. General thoughts/advice/suggestions for how to keep this interesting and fun?
2. What sort of rags to riches can I do where it will be different and challenging? All the active careers are good, but I don't think the ones where you can work from home/go to work are that good, because they basically are pretty similar, right? Thoughts?
3. Are there other sorts of challenges that might work well with this idea? I really like when the game throws surprises at me, I don't like to micromanage.

Thank you so much in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Comments

• AunzaAunza Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited October 2020
    @Modifien, I have a couple of suggestions, as I notice patterns then quit the game....

I have a problem with prolixity, tldr included at the bottom of the page

I play twenty-four seven, when I get to play

One: I played a household of eight... four of each gender, young adults, aging off.
    Two of them were married in a previous game and imported.
    Thinking I would move them out once they paired
    Ha... Sims do what sims do

I made an "avenging angel" after awhile, throwing out three from the group

The game ended six months later with four couples, all successfully married, good friends, and in their own homes.
    But, the program went rote mayhem on me and I finally moved on.
    Still miss those kidz....

Two:
    Backstory:
    Single female, she married a non committal, and became with child
    Husband turned neglectful and kind of mean
    Wife sad and lonely
    Second male enters the picture and offers her a rose garden, so to speak
    But, I do not have commitment issues and do not allow for cheating or divorce

I swept the game away, separating, but keeping, the three players and started a new game
    In the new game, the single female married the rose garden suitor, which enraged the first husband,
    and sent me into another attempt to make everyone happy.

Swept away game two, separating, but keeping, all three players, and sending then into game three unbeknownst to each other
    This time, I decided we needed a better twist
    I gave the female two toddler daughters in CAS, one by each male
    Threw all five of them into one house and let them raise the two toddlers

Oh my, talk about player created mayhem!
    This game took me almost a year before the program caught up and went same ole, same ole on me....

tldr: Play whichever legacy or self-driven game that suits your fancy, just be willing to walk your own path when the algorithms decide you want to play in a loop.

Whatever you decide to do ~happy simming~
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Probably Build a City Challange rules for TS4 will interest you? I was playing by these rules myself and found it to be the most fun play-style for me.
  • ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    Probably Build a City Challange rules for TS4 will interest you? I was playing by these rules myself and found it to be the most fun play-style for me.

Oh, that is a great inspiration! Thank you so much, I'm going to use some of those ideas for certain.
  • Echo17121Echo17121 Posts: 88 Member
    I've been having a lot of fun with the old Newcrest Legacy challenge lately.
    But I also enjoyed doing a rags to riches with Eco Lifestyle where they have to dumpster dive for everything or make it with the fabricator or work bench. My sim was sleeping on benches forever until he found a bed and was so over quick meals until he luckily found a stove. When they had a baby he had to dive for a toddler bed.
    My Sims are usually well taken care of so it was a new challenge for me to push him even though his needs were terrible.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    If you want to do a whole world you should consider the Murkland Challenge. Already tons of builds and characters on the gallery.

Here on the forum the post has 79 pages. I thought it is cool. I still play my save on occasion. I wish I had Eco Lifestyle when I started.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/910413/post-apocalyptic-murkland-the-starter-challenge/p1
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    If you want to do a whole world you should consider the Murkland Challenge. Already tons of builds and characters on the gallery.

Here on the forum the post has 79 pages. I thought it is cool. I still play my save on occasion. I wish I had Eco Lifestyle when I started.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/910413/post-apocalyptic-murkland-the-starter-challenge/p1

I've always wondered - how do you deal with townies in themed world building/storytelling, like this and the decades challenges? It would drive me crazy to have townies wandering around as they are, when I'm trying to imagine a post-apocalyptic scenario. I hate micromanaging, and that extends to policing townie fashion. I just ignore them unless they're friends.
    Echo17121 wrote: »
    I've been having a lot of fun with the old Newcrest Legacy challenge lately.
    But I also enjoyed doing a rags to riches with Eco Lifestyle where they have to dumpster dive for everything or make it with the fabricator or work bench. My sim was sleeping on benches forever until he found a bed and was so over quick meals until he luckily found a stove. When they had a baby he had to dive for a toddler bed.
    My Sims are usually well taken care of so it was a new challenge for me to push him even though his needs were terrible.

Thank you. I did that one, and it was a unique challenge! I enjoyed it, it led to a very chaotic house.
  • simcreator529simcreator529 Posts: 11 New Member
    i just started the not so berry chalange with my mint sim maddison do you have some tips about how to get my career upgraded