Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims for Men

Comments

• JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited April 2021
    Even as a gay man I don’t like how this game has become way too girlie compare to the other titles. I miss traditional gender roles. The “men” sims feel very soft & girly. Especially the romance interactions. Like why can’t they have masculine animations? Or masculine clothing for that matter? Everything is too flamboyant for me.
    But it’s mainly the generation we are in now that has made the sims 4 the way it is now.
  • LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    Why not cater to everyone? I mean the game is supposed to reflect human life, no? Maybe I'm just trying to look too deeply into it. It is full of silliness after all.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I understand what you're trying to say. Simmers have brought this up with CAS given that male Sims seem to get the short end of the stick. I'm not too sure which activities to add that would appeal to male players though. I know cars are a huge request which I'd also like to see. I definitely agree that the advertising is not centered towards a male player base.

I'm also very happy with the responses on here and everyone having a discussion. I appreciate that people are asking what the poster would like to see as opposed to attacking him for wanting some gameplay that may appeal to him more.
    edited April 2021
    I think drag racing would be pretty dope as a “masculine activity”. Maybe hunting too or even dirt biking. But those are things that we may never see
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Question for the OP, what additions or changes would you like to see in order for the game to cater to your masculine preferences?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2021
    Justin wrote: »
    I think drag racing would be pretty dope as a “masculine activity”. Maybe hunting too or even dirt biking. But those are things that we may never see

When you think about it, it really is a slippery slope. I’m sure the team has had some good discussions amongst themselves about new features and elements to add but then the ideas get shot down when they realize teenage girls (the majority of their players) probably won’t enjoy it. And if the majority of your players don’t want to buy a pack, that’s a substantial loss of revenue. Is it worth it to lose that revenue for the hopes of getting revenue from the “other” players?

So unfortunately I understand why they don’t just go all in with certain stuff. They probably do a ton of expensive marketing research to see if teenage girls would enjoy a certain pack before going into production.
    Chazzzy wrote: »

When you think about it, it really is a slippery slope. I’m sure the team has had some good discussions amongst themselves about new features and elements to add but then the ideas get shot down when they realize teenage girls (the majority of their players) probably won’t enjoy it. And if the majority of your players don’t want to buy a pack, that’s a substantial loss of revenue. Is it worth it to lose that revenue for the hopes of getting revenue from the “other” players?

So unfortunately I understand why they don’t just go all in with certain stuff. They probably do a ton of expensive marketing research to see if teenage girls would enjoy a certain pack before going into production.

That’s the same thing they did with journey to batuu tho lol. But yeah I definitely get what you mean. I do think if they wanted to test the waters they may even be able to add it in a kit. I mean, that’s the point of kits apparently, to add to ones gameplay experience & it’s not meant to be for everyone.
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    My ideal pack would ofcourse be involving cars. Obviously >:) But to make it all even more 'macho' a world with race tracks. Not to race like a race game but for a racer career. There would be a car factory where you could work, or be the CEO that has to convince the sims to change to electric cars. I even think it's weird I have to suggest this as a "manly" pack because in my real world this should be gender neutral careers.

Another one. Airport! where you could turn an entire map as an airport where you bascity have to do airport work. A micro management game where your sim needs to do task to make the airport running. The map could even be used to take your plane to go on vacation to the packs I didn't buy but will definitely need

That’s the same thing they did with journey to batuu tho lol. But yeah I definitely get what you mean. I do think if they wanted to test the waters they may even be able to add it in a kit. I mean, that’s the point of kits apparently, to add to ones gameplay experience & it’s not meant to be for everyone.

Yep! I keep saying I see so much potential with Kits. If Kits come often enough, people won’t feel “obligated” to buy them like it’s either this or nothing for several for months. They will only buy what they enjoy.

They can do so much with Kits. I kinda feel like Skateboarding is an idea that teenage girls may actually want in a “main” pack but could also work as a Kit.
    edited April 2021
    Isharell wrote: »
    I think it would be nice to have a "face shaving" activity linked to the sinks, like brushing teeth. It would be cute to have a dad (or mom!) showing their boy (or girl, let's have fun here) how to shave their face. They could even link facial hair changes to the shaving option for teens/adults (I had a full beard and now I have a goatee). Or is this something that comes with the Parenthood pack? if yes, ignore this paragraph.

No face shaving or beard growing in Parenthood. I wouldn’t personally need to see that but I do think it would be nice to have separate categories in CAS for facial hair. I’d like to be able to customize facial hair. For example, one category for your mustache, one for your chin hair and one for the side. So we can fully customize a Sim’s facial hair and create your own unique style combo instead of picking ones already done as a whole unit.
    edited April 2021

Yep! I keep saying I see so much potential with Kits. If Kits come often enough, people won’t feel “obligated” to buy them like it’s either this or nothing for several for months. They will only buy what they enjoy.

They can do so much with Kits. I kinda feel like Skateboarding is an idea that teenage girls may actually want in a “main” pack but could also work as a Kit.

I feel the same. I like the idea of kits but at the same time I feel it has gotten a bit too much backlash where they might not even do it as often. Which is a shame because it ruins the potential of kits & for other players who like the idea of kits.

Skateboarding would be nice. They can do a tony hawk inspired one too. Or even roller skating & tagging like Jet Set radio. Like you said, so much potential & possibility.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited April 2021
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I understand what you're trying to say. Simmers have brought this up with CAS given that male Sims seem to get the short end of the stick. I'm not too sure which activities to add that would appeal to male players though. I know cars are a huge request which I'd also like to see. I definitely agree that the advertising is not centered towards a male player base.

I'm also very happy with the responses on here and everyone having a discussion. I appreciate that people are asking what the poster would like to see as opposed to attacking him for wanting some gameplay that may appeal to him more.

I can think of a few things....

Skater boards and skater parks
    Pool tables
    Weights for weightlifting
    Soccer goal (which somehow didn't come with Discover Uni even though they have soccer balls)
    Cars, garages and car tuning
    Handyman career
    Pinball machines
    Body hair in CAS
    Nectar making and nectar cellars
    Roughhousing
    Mechanical bull
    Boxing career
    etc.

Those are great activity and career suggestions, and I think they would appeal to everyone.

I'd love to have a Western styled restaurant or bar with a mechanical bull and pool tables in the corner! And I'd put weights and boxing in a Gym location along with my Spa components and climbing wall - my sims like to multitask. :D .. sigh.

Pool tables
    Soccer goal (which somehow didn't come with Discover Uni even though they have soccer balls)
    Handyman career
    Pinball machines
    Body hair in CAS
    Roughhousing
    Mechanical bull
    Boxing career
    etc.

Great list and a boxing career would be epic.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    edited April 2021

Pool tables
    Handyman career
    Pinball machines
    Body hair in CAS
    Roughhousing
    Mechanical bull
    Boxing career
    etc.

You've greatly peaked my interest haha Especially body hair. I was pretty disappointed that wasn't added with the anniversary update. Weights/Weightlifting is something I've also wanted for a long time! Like, why couldn't they have added in free weights with Fitness Stuff? Pool tables and proper pinball machines are also something I've been dying to see back in the game. I'd love to build a "beer-cade" that's essentially a bar with a ton of retro video game cabinets and pinball games.

EDIT: I keep saying this as well, I don't think I've ever seen a male Sim stand to use the washroom... Unless the bladder is in the red, he should be standing up. And where are the urinals?! Urinals are part of everyday life! haha
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Idk why it's like that now either. Maybe they want to zero in on young female demographic. There are a lot of posts asking for more male or even more masculine clothing, activities, etc. Its popular now in society to blend the differences between masculine & feminine and the Sims team/EA seems to lead that way now. Either way theres still people who want manly men, masculine clothing, traditional gender roles etc and I wish the Sime put out equal amounts of male CAS stuff
    By "blend" you mean erase masculinity right and act as if its a evil dirty bad thing. I completely agree with the op there just is not much content for male Sims the male clothing is a joke and what little we have is skin tight in very flamboyant colors and styles, group sports are non existent we don't even have cars or any hobby like we had in the past.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    so i completely understand what this thread is saying. although one thing to make clear: preteens/ teenagers may actually like some "guy: things. For instance, i remember in my teenage years listening to S8ter Boy by avril Lavigne and i loved the song. therefore, i was interested in skateboarding. we should definetely have cars as well.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2021
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Idk why it's like that now either. Maybe they want to zero in on young female demographic. There are a lot of posts asking for more male or even more masculine clothing, activities, etc. Its popular now in society to blend the differences between masculine & feminine and the Sims team/EA seems to lead that way now. Either way theres still people who want manly men, masculine clothing, traditional gender roles etc and I wish the Sime put out equal amounts of male CAS stuff
    By "blend" you mean erase masculinity right and act as if its a evil dirty bad thing. I completely agree with the op there just is not much content for male Sims the male clothing is a joke and what little we have is skin tight in very flamboyant colors and styles, group sports are non existent we don't even have cars or any hobby like we had in the past.

Yes I agree. I recognize there are differences between both sexes so I don't "blend" them myself either. I do think EA should provide more male clothing, hair, activities etc so people can choose for themselves what kind of person they want to make. I usually rely on CC to get more stuff.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

Pool tables
    Handyman career
    Pinball machines
    Body hair in CAS
    Roughhousing
    Mechanical bull
    Boxing career
    etc.

You've greatly peaked my interest haha Especially body hair. I was pretty disappointed that wasn't added with the anniversary update. Weights/Weightlifting is something I've also wanted for a long time! Like, why couldn't they have added in free weights with Fitness Stuff? Pool tables and proper pinball machines are also something I've been dying to see back in the game. I'd love to build a "beer-cade" that's essentially a bar with a ton of retro video game cabinets and pinball games.

EDIT: I keep saying this as well, I don't think I've ever seen a male Sim stand to use the washroom... Unless the bladder is in the red, he should be standing up. And where are the urinals?! Urinals are part of everyday life! haha

Now that you mention it, has any Sims game included urinals?
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,918 Member
    @Chazzzy , TS2 has those. No idea of TS3
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    As a middle aged housewife who was somewhat gender-non-conforming in her youth and now is only too glad to banish laundry and vacuuming from my sims games (I do have Laundry Day, I just never include any of the washers or dryers in my builds so I never have to deal with it) I agree, we need ... well, Sigzy05's list pretty much covers it.

Pool tables
    Handyman career
    Pinball machines
    Body hair in CAS
    Roughhousing
    Mechanical bull
    Boxing career
    etc.

I'd add an American football/rugby ball and Single-player Arcade Cabinets.

I also want gambling outside of Sabaac. I may be one of the few who enjoys Journey to Batuu, but I want more gambling options like poker, or blackjack, or baccarat...

CAS wise, we really do need more basic, versatile men's clothing. A T's, henleys, and Jeans kit might be a good start. (Okay, for formal wear, I'd want stuff more like pretty much anything Chadwick Boseman wore on the Red Carpet, which is probably a bit too flamboyant for a lot of people, but it's not like I'm asking for Billy Porter levels of flamboyant.)

(And a minor note to the OP, the word I'd use for the Bust the Dust and Country Kitchen kit is "domestic" - as they have to do more with taking care of the home/family needs, and domestic isn't quite as gender-charged. Just for future reference.)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021

Pool tables
    Handyman career
    Pinball machines
    Body hair in CAS
    Roughhousing
    Mechanical bull
    Boxing career
    etc.

Both TS1, TS2 and TS3 have urinals in the BG. TS4 is the only exception. For some strange reason TS4 is also the only game where bathroom stalls are exclusive to one EP, when they were BG before in previous games.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Pool tables
    Handyman career
    Pinball machines
    Body hair in CAS
    Roughhousing
    Mechanical bull
    Boxing career
    etc.

I'm pretty sure my sims would try to sit in it.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top