Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should base game bundle early packs into it for all players to own now?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
It will be seven years the sims 4 was released this september and if continue development is truly planned for two more years, I wonder if the base game should start combining or bundling early game packs into itself as base content that all players get.

This topic has kinda of exploded in a thousand different directions but basically my question posed was should/would the Sims 4 be better posed for the future if development is truly to continue into the the next few years, bundling early packs into the base game purchase so that all players have access to them now and provides a fuller game for early adopters vs facing $700 of "catch up".

Much like World of Warcraft has done with past expansions years after they are released by including them into the base game for ALL members and only charging for the most recent expansions. Although I doubt Maxis will do this as WoW has a subscription model in play too...but than I wonder if that will be the future of the next sims game...

Anyway your thoughts?

(edited to simplify my question lol)
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    while i do agree that there should be One major pack which adds to the game. For instance, the bust the dust could have came with laundry stuff and laundry stuff could have been added to a cleaning pack or something. i also think seasons should come with the base game. If anything they should have like one big pack with certain things in it which add to the game- then it would be really worth about $40.00
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I don’t fully understand what you’re saying.

Are you saying The Sims 4 should get more content added to the base game in the form of free updates and not in the form of packs we have to buy?
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I wish pets were base game so they could add new pet stuff with each new pack. That always makes me sad to never get new pet stuff since it can’t be included in expansions if not everyone owns it.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    No it doesn't. This makes no sense.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    This is why I think that TS5 will most likely be a subscription service game. It’s the only feasible way for base game to come with everything everyone is always yelling should be in base game and still be at a price most can afford and work on a multitude of computers. It would live on servers at EA/Maxis instead of individual computers, and then they can still add new content through updates without overwhelming individual systems.

I wouldn’t mind if TS4 gets enhancements to its base, I would welcome it. I am always up for more. I genuinely enjoy the game. There’s talk of them possibly adding the calendar from Seasons to base game and I think that’s fine, especially if it means they can expand the functionality of it for all players. I have the pack, but moving the calendar to base game means they can tie its features to more packs and expand its features.
    edited April 2021
    This is why I think that TS5 will most likely be a subscription service game. It’s the only feasible way for base game to come with everything everyone is always yelling should be in base game and still be at a price most can afford and work on a multitude of computers. It would live on servers at EA/Maxis instead of individual computers, and then they can still add new content through updates without overwhelming individual systems.

I wouldn’t mind if TS4 gets enhancements to its base, I would welcome it. I am always up for more. I genuinely enjoy the game. There’s talk of them possibly adding the calendar from Seasons to base game and I think that’s fine, especially if it means they can expand the functionality of it for all players. I have the pack, but moving the calendar to base game means they can tie its features to more packs and expand its features.

Lmao no. First, EA has a terrible track record with servers, and given how many people play The Sims it would be hell to connect to them. Secondly you'd loose the ability to play offline. Thirdly, you'd own literally nothing, you wouldn't even have the files in your pc.

People say "it should be in the BG" because the BG literally had nothing, and Maxis has had us pay for things that were in it in the past.

Always find it hilarious when people advocate for worse business decisions then what we already get. If you're unsatisfied with the content in past EP's that's because they weren't good and lacked content, period. Which they did, look at TS3 and then look at TS4. Pets for instance is 100x better than Cats and Dogs.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 2021
    Well as I just bought 6 expansion packs I would say: hell no! But I have to agree with you. I played sims 2 and 3. Not obsessively but I remember playing them and I was rather confused when I went to research which packs were good to buy as they were on sale and read and saw everywhere I had to buy Seasons to complete my game. I hadn't even noticed that pack and never would have bought it if I hadn't researched the packs. After buying and installing it I understood immediately why everyone recommended that pack because as everyone said "the world comes to life". But I wanted more than just what Seasons added. I definitely wanted Get Famous no matter what the commentary on that pack was. It's my play style as I don't care for family building. After buying that one I understood why it's not the best rated pack, stuff was still missing for my play style. I had to by like 3 expansions packs to be able to play Get famous as it should be. When I also bought Eco Lifestyle and noticed that suddenly my telephone was displaying my telephone messages like it should be in the base game I started to understand the sentiment about cash grabs. I bought all the packs at 50% off but it still feels expensive for what you get. There are so much mechanics that makes a sim game that are spread over multiple packs that I understand why I shelved the game 3 years ago after playing only a few hours to discover today you have to pay loads of money to actually enjoy the sims. I don't remember the sims being like that in previous versions. I liked the sims but didn't need multiple packs for that.
  • xMyrthexMyrthe Posts: 56 Member
    Your plan sounds like it will cause a LOT of problems. Think of all the people who bought the pack, sometimes even for 40,-, and now they're going to add them for free? The backlash will be INSANE.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited April 2021
    I definitely don't want content I've payed a lot of money for being added to the base game for free. No thanks :#
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    It would live on servers at EA/Maxis instead of individual computers, and then they can still add new content through updates without overwhelming individual systems.

@Pamtastic72 Why would it not overwhelm individual systems? I didn't understand what you mean there. Can you clarify?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited April 2021
    well i agree that basic content like weather, cats & dogs for example, should be base game. however i really doubt that ea will patch big things as of now, because some people that paid for these features would get upset. although in a devs screenshot it seems they are going to patch the calendar into the base game, but it's not confirmed. technically devs already patch pack features to the base game every now & then.

but perhaps if sims 6 ever gets released (lol), or when ts4 ends its development and ea decides to stop milking it for some reason, we'll probably get The Sims 4 Ultimate Collection or something like with ts1 & ts2, i mean people paid for ts1 & ts2 content back then yet the whole games were given for free or are available for anyone to download since it became abandonware.
    though some people still buys them from third parties.

anyways i don't know if ts3 & ts4 will get free collections because i feel like ea doesn't sell ts1 & ts2 cuz back then Maxis was a lot different than it is now, perhaps for legal reasons they can't sell them or they made a deal with mr.Wright, dunno.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I also think packs like Generations and Parenthood should be base game content. They are focued on the life stages and don't expand the game in a different direction, so to me they are base game content and even the fact that they split up Sims 3 Generations to Parenthood and the inevitable Generations pack coming is to me taking it too far with the splitting up.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    xMyrthe wrote: »
    Your plan sounds like it will cause a LOT of problems. Think of all the people who bought the pack, sometimes even for 40,-, and now they're going to add them for free? The backlash will be INSANE.

I don’t think the OP is saying add full packs, but features from packs that maybe aren’t central to the pack, but could add enhanced gameplay if added to the base game. Like my example of the calendar from Seasons. It’s not the key feature of the pack, and added to base game it could be a decent enhancement. Players would be able to pre-plan events and perhaps add holidays to base game, even if they still have perpetual summer.
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    I don't think the OP means that all the content should be free. The worlds, clothes and stuff should not be free but the gameplay should be there. Best example is Eco Lifestyle. Put the game mechanics in and you will need to buy packs to influence the eco footprint. Get famous: there are celibrities but you can't become one before you buy a pack. You will need packs to unlock the new careers. There is even a lot in the expansions packs that has nothing to do with the theme of the pack but seems so rather basic it should be in the base game.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I understand them putting season calendar in the game because they obviously need to use it to add something else. There will be things here and there that they do add. They gave everyone cameras eventually, and the did the same with hot tubs,too. It doesn’t bother me.

I don’t think the OP is saying add full packs
    , but features from packs that maybe aren’t central to the pack, but could add enhanced gameplay if added to the base game. Like my example of the calendar from Seasons. It’s not the key feature of the pack, and added to base game it could be a decent enhancement. Players would be able to pre-plan events and perhaps add holidays to base game, even if they still have perpetual summer.

He is though.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited April 2021

I agree. It would also cause backlash from people who didn't buy all of the packs. Most people don't want things forced on them that they never wanted in the first place, and that too would happen. For instance, there are a number of packs I haven't bought, not because of money, but because I Do Not Want Them.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I don't know how much "growing" the game is going to do at this stage. The rate of DLC release has slowed significantly, as clearly the focus has moved to Sims 5 development. As for future installments, I don't think they'll ever incorporate DLC elements into the base game, or at least not the more popular DLC elements. We'll never see things like weather, pets or even player-owned businesses in the base game -- it is far too lucrative to portion those off in add-ons because everyone will buy them.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »

I agree. It would also cause backlash from people who didn't buy all of the packs. Most people don't want things forced on them that they never wanted in the first place, and that too would happen. For instance, there are a number of packs I haven't bought, not because of money, but because I Do Not Want Them.
    This one, there is a reason why I haven't bought certain pack, and I do not want the features of it in my game :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Maybe pets and weather should be base game, but a lot of the content for those are still in this packs? I.D.K. I like The Sims 4 as is, but I am open to hear other opinions o:)
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2021
    People who bought the packs would be outraged if they merged existing packs that they paid extra for into the base game. We've already seen how people react to this kind of thing when they have done it before with things like the hot tub. It's not a good idea at all.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    I don't think adding entire packs to the base game is the way to go. A few things here and there would be OK, but the main feature of the pack should not be patched into the base game. It seems rude and inconsiderate towards those who bought the pack. For example I would love for the baking skill to be base game so birthday cakes can be recategorised from cooking to baking. But that is just one part of the get to work pack, there is still the main feature left for those who purchased it.
    I wish pets were base game so they could add new pet stuff with each new pack. That always makes me sad to never get new pet stuff since it can’t be included in expansions if not everyone owns it.

This is one of the reasons why I am not completely against dlc for dlc. My first pets stuff had a terrible timing, only a few weeks after cats and dogs which felt rather lackluster when it comes to features. It would be nice to have some new pet outfits or furniture, especially because cats and dogs is already a few years old.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    It would help me to better understand what you fully mean, OP, if you explained what specific packs you had in mind for adding.

If you’re talking about things like the club system or the weather system or the holiday system or the retail system, etc. I mean, tbh these are the kinds of things that at this point should have been in the base game from the get go or put in free patch updates early on. At this point it’s just too late for EA to decide that things they once designated as having value in a pack suddenly get put in the base game and no longer have any value in the pack because they’ve taken some novelty from that pack. And odds are they’re not gonna change the price of these packs permanently, even thought they’ve now altered its value. It seems shady to me. They did it with vacations already. They did it with the hot tub.

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    1, 2, and 3 did not need to make previously paid for DLC free to be good and solid games. You still have to pay a premium for 3's content to this day. It is not that DLC systems cannot work, much less the usual pack systems the Sims has always had, just that the base game is not sturdy enough and the updates are lacking.

Point to No Man's Sky all you want. I have the game myself. It is the top redemption story of industry at this point, the way it gets thrown around. It is not really a paid DLC game, though. It does major free updates, which the Sims... Is only sometimes on board with? We have got some good ones, but they do not update DLC content (which is kind of odd) and they seem fairly rare in comparison.

If I had to pick a method, I would say the Paradox method (which is what I think 4 somewhat attempts to do), which is for every pack there is a substantial base game update to connect and enrich the two. And, if necessary, DLC stuff gets adjusted.

Beyond issues of unwanted content/changes (and if you are skeptical of this, look at anyone asking for supernatural nerfs or some of discontent surrounding the new eating time change), even if you packaged the first 3 years of DLC into 4 it would still be lacking. Perhaps they could, emphasis on could, do more with the features in the future (or would have done so anyway when they single out a feature for usage), but aliens suddenly being base game would not make 4 or 4's aliens more fun. They would need updates expanding their features. You cannot ignore step two. Just adding old packs alone will not do it. They have also, for example, updated vacation systems without making Outdoor Retreat base game and it was the first pack. They can do related base game updates without adding DLC content.

All in all, why add every part of an old DLC people paid for when they are not even going to update the features to make them better for everyone? So they hypothetically could in the future? The pick and choose method didn't stop them with photography, etc. So, no, I think we need more updates to all content. Just adding in old packs and calling it a day would only upset people.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    So yes to clarify I'm saying add full packs into the base game - not as packs but AS base content like so many other service games eventually do.

As for cost and user backlash - yes some people will be very mad that they paid for packs, but again games like World of Warcaft have been doing this since the game existed and its community doesn't lose its mind.