Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cannot Login / Invalid EMail or Password problem - fixed?

Over the last few days I have posted some increasingly frustrated, annoyed, and angry posts about the problems I had been having logging in to my game, to this website, to Origin, to anything Sims related and the lack of help I was getting from EA Support :evil:

So, it is only right, that I report that I believe the problem, for me, has been fixed :D

To be honest I still think there was a fault on EAs systems over the week-end and the fact that they never seem to let their users know when they have problems caused me to attempt fixes that made my particular problem more frustrating.

So, at the beginning, on Saturday I went to play my game and despite putting in the same Email address and password that I have always used, it rejected them as 'invalid'. Several attempts later, typing very carefully, still no joy.

Concerned that my details might have been hacked I clicked 'Forgotten Password' so that I could change it. But the Email I got back contained a link that went to a dead page! I eventually found another login page, on ea.com I think, which did give me a link to working password reset page.

Curiously that page wanted a password that contained a mix of letters and numbers, whereas my old password was all letters. Had they changed their password rules without telling us, were they now rejecting 'insecure' passwords - without warning?

Anyway, changed my password ... no difference. Of course, not being able to login I couldn't even open a support case! :-(

I decided to try creating a whole new account with a different Email address and a more 'secure' password. It worked perfectly! Of course, I couldn't access my "real" account, my Simpoints balance, my downloads etc., but, at least, I could now login and raise a support ticket :-)

And EAs response "Login using the Email address used to register your game". Like Duh! I would ... if I could! :-(

Anyway, long story, short(ish) I fixed it today. I think the problem was that I had set my Firefox browser to keep a session on thesims3.com website open all the time. Now this session was originally opened using my original password. So I think, without any confirmation from EA, that it must have been checking my credentials on that browser session with the new password I had entered, discovered they were different and locked my account.

I closed that old session, logged out, logged back in with yet another new password, and it all seems to be working fine now (fingers crossed!)

Conclusions?

1. EA really should sort out their user account update pages - do they need a mixed password or not?

2. EA should create a 'System Status' page on thesims3.com site so that if there are system-wide problems, such as server overload or network outages, we can see that they are aware of the problems we are experiencing and reassure us that they are working to fix them. Keeping quiet about problems only makes your users frustrated and angry.

3. If you change your password, log out of any existing browser sessions that you started with your old password.

Sorry for the excessive wordage, but wanted to acknowledge fixing of the fault and, perhaps, offer some useful information to EA and other users with a similar problem.

Comments

• Options
    CyntheaCynthea Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm facing with this problem now.
    So what should I do ?? :/
  • Options
    EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Leaving this open for the time being.
    Cynthea wrote: »
    I'm facing with this problem now.
    So what should I do ?? :/

Are you still having trouble with this? Let me know!
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • Options
    JazzypooJazzypoo Posts: 325 Member
    I hear your frustration! I can login to the website, forums and Origin, but not the launcher or Shop mode. I'm on a Mac so internet explorer isn't the issue. I just disabled the in-game store for now. :\
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    As this issue is cutting across (some but not all) players on all versions of Windows and now the Mac OS as well, we have gotten EA's attention on it. Or rather, @puzzlezaddict has. It does sound like the current issue is on EA's side and they are looking into it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Yes, as far as I know, they're still "looking into it" as of now. In the meantime @Jazzypoo you might try quitting to desktop and relaunching the game. I understand it's a pain, but when I tried on my mac I could login to the Main Menu on the first or second try around half the time.

The other thing to note is that shop mode, and being logged in in general, will eat into your game's RAM use. TS3 for mac can only use 2 GB RAM overall, so it's a good idea to play entirely offline, especially in longer-running games.
  • Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    edited August 2018
    Starting a couple of days ago, after I added a few CC-free sim3packs, turned off Launcher then started game with TS3W.exe

Suddenly I found I was unable to log in to help someone Simport.

I normally just change passwords, then log back into TS3's wall, this forum, ea.com, and finally Origin -- and something shakes loose and I'm able to log in within an hour normally. But two days ago, nothing seemed to work --- but after 8 hours of my original attempts, I was finally able to log into the game (too late to help the simport beginner).

I also checked in-game gifting while in game and became aware that the account by EA for in-game gifting was randomly gifting some simmers while we were logged into their games. I suspect they were trouble shooting the networks.

Further searching, I did run into a topic on EA help from 2017 about the login issue. Since I was logged in at that point, I don't know if it will work for others, but its on my to-do list, next time this happens.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/cannot-log-into-the-sims-3-in-game/m-p/6135012#M223807

The suggested solution (the particular case was a bit odd) was a possible solution by an EA Community Manager to delete a couple cache files. Having not tried this, I suggest renaming rather than deleting...

*rename the files igs,bin and platform.bin inside documents \Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\SigsCache
    For example igs.bin.OLD and platform.bin.OLD -apply to both.

Does this work for anyone? I know if I get bumped off again, I'll give this a try.
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options
    LeahMcSimsLeahMcSims Posts: 2 New Member
    so has this been solved or what? becasue my issue that it just wont let me log into my account right as i have to log in before selecting my game (family.) so when the launcher initially opens, i'm logged in, and then the game does its load up video etc etc and then i go to select the game file or "family" im working on, and i have to log in again there, even though everytime i log in i always select "keep me logged in" it never does. Well i had no problems logging in last night and now all the sudden my email address or password is "invalid" yet it works literally everywhere else. REAL HELP PLEASE LOL
  • Options
    jojie4jojie4 Posts: 66 Member
    LeahMcSims wrote: »
    so has this been solved or what? becasue my issue that it just wont let me log into my account right as i have to log in before selecting my game (family.) so when the launcher initially opens, i'm logged in, and then the game does its load up video etc etc and then i go to select the game file or "family" im working on, and i have to log in again there, even though everytime i log in i always select "keep me logged in" it never does. Well i had no problems logging in last night and now all the sudden my email address or password is "invalid" yet it works literally everywhere else. REAL HELP PLEASE LOL

I am having this problem today as well. I don't even have internet explorer and have changed my password 3 times. No luck. I wonder if there is something with EA right now. I am hoping so, because I really don't know what to do with this. It will let me play offline, but I also can't download any of my store content right now.
  • Options
    jojie4jojie4 Posts: 66 Member
    @LeahMcSims I just clicked on become member, or whatever it says to make a new account. It opened up internet explorer, which I didn't even think I had on my computer. It took me to a page to download Microsoft Edge. However, I could still use tools (gear) - safety - delete browsing history. Make sure to uncheck the save favorites and check everything else. It worked and now I am logged in. I didn't even think I had to put the password back in. Thank goodness because my store worlds wouldn't work and neither would any of the other store content.
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there,

Since this thread had been inactive since 2018 and a solution has been shared, I'm closing it as per our necroposting rules.

- Leeloo
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top