The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your opinion on kits?

Comments

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I don't think these $5 kits will be discounted. Also, they're way too expensive. But I need to have them, especially the country kit.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    They seem reasonable at first--but those prices will add up. I think i'm only interested in a baby stuff kit, that is if we get an update for them.
  • IvyEvalineIvyEvaline Posts: 17 Member
    I personally would not buy it. Mostly due to currency exchange. The price is quite expensive. I can buy all sorts of things for the same price or I can buy other complete games (with a little bit top-up).
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    IvyEvaline wrote: »
    I personally would not buy it. Mostly due to currency exchange. The price is quite expensive. I can buy all sorts of things for the same price or I can buy other complete games (with a little bit top-up).
    Sorry that you have to go through that. The currency exchange rate can be a big hassle when it comes to this, buying video games and add-ons for a video game.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I also think these Kits could have just been updated and patched into the game too.

I mean, I Just can't see how a dust buster is fun, lol. The sporty outfits also appear to be something that was just left out of the Fitness pack of the past, really and the country kitchen was boring. Too similar to the kitchen we already got with C&D.

So basically, none of the Kits seem worthy of paying the extra bucks for even if it that's not a lot of money to most. Better off saving that $10 towards something more interesting, lol.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I can see future potential for these kits. I have no problem with the concept whatsoever and in my opinion €5 is not too steep, depending on one’s play style and what one would like to see in their game.

However, I personally think some of the current kits feel a little incomplete as Kits:

Ideally a CAS kit should also offer at least 1 hair for female and 1 hair for male to finish the look. Throwback Fit kit only comes with clothing.

A kitchen kit should offer a matching kitchen table and chairs in order to have a complete kitchen in your game. This goes for every future room/ BB kit.

I think the kits become more acceptable if there’s a clear balance of certain items that come in each kit thus making the customer feel that the kits are complete. It doesn’t even have to do with the quantity of items, but more specifically that the items offered are the ones needed to complete the look or feeling.

Those are some of the reasons I didn't give much of a second glance at them, too as I was surprised that none didn't include any extra hair and I didn't know about the lack of a matching table and chairs. That's odd not to complete the Kitchen kit with that.

Oh well, perhaps EA was testing to see how well these "kits" went over with players before they possibly add more, lol.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    Kits are just an obvious cash grab IMO. I've only ever paid $5 for stuff packs so why would I pay $5 for even less content? It might be worth it to people willing to pay full price for less content, however for someone like me it's not a good idea. It's sad really as EA doesn't seem to think much of its customers with a move like this.
  • animevampanimevamp Posts: 136 Member
    @MsKatieRose We never got a kitchen with C&D. The only packs that came with counters were cool kitchen, spa day, parenthood, realm of magic, island living, and jungle adventure.
  • Lilacsky22Lilacsky22 Posts: 43 Member
    I think they are okay, could be much better. I really don't care for things that I can do in real life such as vacuming. If they added things to kits that are outside the box and something I can't do everyday in waking life, I may buy them. Such as Ice sculpting or shoot even a drum set kit would be cool.
  • AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    I don't like the kits. I'm kinda new to The Sims 4. I bought the base game and some packs years ago but didn't enjoy it and shelved it. I started to play it again a few weeks ago and really got in to it. The expansions are on sale so I started researching what the packs are and with were worth buying. Turns out you need a lot of packs to get the game like it should have been in the base game. The expansion packs are really expensive for what you are getting. Even on sale it's a hefty price. Then there are other packs and there are stuff packs and now kits? The idea of Kits is good in theory but 10 kits is costing more than an expansion pack. I don't see how the next 5 kits would give you as much content as an expensief pack. I guess it even those not comes close to the content of a stuff pack.
  • StephenJHollowayStephenJHolloway Posts: 71 Member
    At first I wasn't too sure but I have come around to the idea. I do think the current 3 we have, based off of what was included when compared to a stuff pack and the price of those, was too expensive. I'm hoping they balance out the content to match the price better with future packs.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    I think they're a money grab...and I wish they'd just give us better stuff packs like they did with Paranormal. That was worth every penny!

Thankfully, I skipped Bust the Dust. I'll never buy it even if it goes on sale (which I doubt it will). The thought of my sims homes always being dusty after only a day is really ignorant to me and tedious. And those dust bunnies, while cute, are not something I'd like to deal with. That said, I think maybe having it in a small pack that I can skip because it doesn't have BB and CAS with it is a bonus.

All in all--I don't like them and wish they'd forget trying to fleece every dime out of us.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • CausingNickel0CausingNickel0 Posts: 20 Member
    I feel like i wasted money. I purchased Bust The Dust kit. It’s already been patched bu its still so broken. My Sims constantly stop doing any action just to vacuum the floor. They do it even on public lot like gym. i don’t understand how could they release something so glitchy and broken.
  • figgyfiggy Posts: 179 Member
    I don't have any of the kits. I might consider buying if the content is something that tickles my fancy, but still I consider them to be an easy cash grab. Especially considering how they weren't properly tested and there were issues with the Bust the Dust kit. I think they will continue releasing a lot of these. But if they don't discount them, I won't be buying for 5 bucks UNLESS Maxis steps up with the quality of released products.

Right now I don't buy any of the new stuff until months later, when they are somewhat fixed. I don't like to gamble my money on something that will render my game unplayable for a few months until a patch is out. It's sad how many mods I need to fix stuff that's broken, while I wait for official fix.

The approach of releasing more and more to get cash inflow is somehow understandable, as the priority of fixing what's broken, that will bring no more money is somehow lower. But the easy fix to this is not to release things that aren't properly tested, so they work right from the release.
    simming since 2000┃origin: daFigg ┃radiohead-head, potterhead, doodie-head
  • shotbyronshotbyron Posts: 59 Member
    I haven't really messed with them too much yet. But I did buy a few. For a couple dollars, I have no real problem with them.
  • MrSimGamer112MrSimGamer112 Posts: 29 Member
    They look good hoping to buy Bust the Dust hopefully it's worth it
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,121 Member
    Country Kitchen goes really well with the Cottage Living kitchen. :p
    Courtyard Oasis is so beautiful. <3
    Throwback is like an awesome 80s. B)
    Bust the Dust is horrible & gross. :s
  • ElizaGraceElizaGrace Posts: 9 New Member
    I don't think kits are a bad concept, I actually like the idea a lot. I just think they need to put a little bit more stuff in them. Like, we're paying half the price of a stuff pack for DLC that exclusively focuses on a third of a stuff pack's content, there should be more items in the CAS and BB kits to justify the price.
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I like the kitchen kit a lot and feel it was worth $5.00. I do think they could have put the items in with other packs, but EA is going to package these games the way they want.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Greedy idea. Trashy outcome. Wont support
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Plumb0b_ClairePlumb0b_Claire Posts: 63 Member
    It's a love-hate relationship for me.

Hate:
    • Too pricey in some countries (it's more than 5 USD in some countries)
    • Not enough items in the pack. Check the filtering system, you can only filter by all kits, not by different kits
    • Bust the Dust needs further fine tuning to get it just right.

Love:
    • Introduces new content to the game.
    • If content is too obscure or stands out to be a game pack, it can be introduced in a kit on it's own.
    • Some items, like those from Country Kitchen are adorable.
    Here's my response to what I think will add depth to the basegame in the Sims 411 - Forum Feedback!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959481#Comment_17959481
    Once again the Kits are priced differently in different countries. Several pounds out, in fact.

This is because the US is the biggest market for the game. EA charges more in other countries, then rather than LOWERING prices to make them equal, RAISES prices in the US. The US then gets all antsy because they were all "It doesn't affect me so why should I care about you paying more?" I have literally seen players tell me those words on the board.

This has happened several times with both Game Packs, Stuff Packs, and Expansion Packs.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I remember you saying this before @Loanet, but when exactly did the US prices ever go up? Between 1 to 2, or 2 to 3, or so on? Cause the sequel iteration price jump makes sense to me. I certainly don't remember it happening mid iteration and I preordered 4.

I do agree the kits aren't worth the Euro price, etc., but I am not following the rest.
    edited September 2021
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I remember you saying this before @Loanet, but when exactly did the US prices ever go up? Between 1 to 2, or 2 to 3, or so on? Cause the sequel iteration price jump makes sense to me. I certainly don't remember it happening mid iteration and I preordered 4.

I do agree the kits aren't worth the Euro price, etc., but I am not following the rest.

I think it was about two years ago. Packs went up in numerous places by £2 - or 2 Euros, or 2 Canadian Dollars, in South America, Canada and Europe. There was an outcry in general from those countries, while at the same time in the US a lot of people said things like "I'm fine with it, it's only 2 whatever, you're making a fuss." About six months later, prices went up in the US too, and they FINALLY said something about it. Too little, too late.

You see, Kits are much smaller, with a smaller budget - they contain about a third of the content for two-thirds the price - but by having a smaller pack released more frequently, EA can actually make the bigger packs less often. This means we get less content while paying more.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Calico45 wrote: »

I think it was about two years ago. Packs went up in numerous places by £2 - or 2 Euros, or 2 Canadian Dollars, in South America, Canada and Europe. There was an outcry in general from those countries, while at the same time in the US a lot of people said things like "I'm fine with it, it's only 2 whatever, you're making a fuss." About six months later, prices went up in the US too, and they FINALLY said something about it. Too little, too late.

You see, Kits are much smaller, with a smaller budget - they contain about a third of the content for two-thirds the price - but by having a smaller pack released more frequently, EA can actually make the bigger packs less often. This means we get less content while paying more.

I am sure they haven't gone up in USD, though. The scale has always been: $40 for EPs, $20 for GPs, and $10 for SPs. At least digitally. If we are talking physically, I always find EPs for $30. So I am not sure who told you USD prices went up, but I would like to ask where and if it was Origin, a key seller, or a physical retailer.