Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A little OT, but this is AMAZING!

A long time ago I was in an explosion. I lost most of my hearing in my right ear and have been suffering from tinnitus ever since. Today, on a whim, I bought a pair of bone conduction headphones because I read a review from someone else that suffered hearing loss and tinnitus and they said they could hear very clearly. Well, it has been a very emotional day for me. For the first time, in a long time, I was able to hear things without the ringing. I started with music and couldn't believe all the different sounds I've never heard before. I had my kids call me and I heard their voices without the muffled sounds for the first time. I heard their voices. Their real voices. And I played the sims and I heard all the little background noises I've never heard. I'm crying. I've been crying for hours just listening to all the things I've been missing. I usually turn the main music of the game down pretty low because the ringing and muffled-ness of it gives me a headache, but I was able to actually listen to it. I listened to all of it. I watched all the TV channels and listened to all of the radio stations. I got a whole bunch of kids together and listened to them play the piano and violin very badly and scratchy in the same room. To actually hear it on my right side, in kind of a surround sound. OMG! GUYS I'M DYING OVER HERE!

If you're wondering what they're like, they sit in front of the ears and it creates a vibration near my ears. I hear the sound somewhere in the back middle of my head. If I close my ear canals, I hear much louder and more clearly, but with them open, I still hear clearly, but I also hear everything else around me and the ringing. But the sound it creates isn't muffled and I can hear over the ringing...I don't know if that makes sense. But I can hear. I like want everyone in the world to call me so I can hear them. I'm so happy and so overwhelmed. I had to take them off to charge them and I'm back to not hearing and it's so upsetting. I've never had a hearing aid that worked well and now I'm going to ask my doctor if they have hearing aids like this. I'm so excited at the prospect of hearing again.

Comments

• LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited April 2021
    I did not expect such a wholesome post in the Sims 4 General Discussion, but it is not unwelcome. Congratulations on being able to hear again. That is a wonderful thing to share and have happen to you.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,879 Member
    @Mstybl95 , I am very happy for you :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • LinzzLinzz Posts: 323 Member
    @Mstybl95 I have hearing loss too and when I got my new hearing aids a year and a half ago it changed my life. The new hearing aids are amazing, they have Bluetooth and i never heard music before like i do now. I totally understand your feeling and im so happy for you! Definitely ask a ENT about hearing aids cuz new technology is making them better and better these days and it is a life changing experience! :)
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    A long time ago I was in an explosion. I lost most of my hearing in my right ear and have been suffering from tinnitus ever since. Today, on a whim, I bought a pair of bone conduction headphones because I read a review from someone else that suffered hearing loss and tinnitus and they said they could hear very clearly. Well, it has been a very emotional day for me. For the first time, in a long time, I was able to hear things without the ringing. I started with music and couldn't believe all the different sounds I've never heard before. I had my kids call me and I heard their voices without the muffled sounds for the first time. I heard their voices. Their real voices. And I played the sims and I heard all the little background noises I've never heard. I'm crying. I've been crying for hours just listening to all the things I've been missing. I usually turn the main music of the game down pretty low because the ringing and muffled-ness of it gives me a headache, but I was able to actually listen to it. I listened to all of it. I watched all the TV channels and listened to all of the radio stations. I got a whole bunch of kids together and listened to them play the piano and violin very badly and scratchy in the same room. To actually hear it on my right side, in kind of a surround sound. OMG! GUYS I'M DYING OVER HERE!

If you're wondering what they're like, they sit in front of the ears and it creates a vibration near my ears. I hear the sound somewhere in the back middle of my head. If I close my ear canals, I hear much louder and more clearly, but with them open, I still hear clearly, but I also hear everything else around me and the ringing. But the sound it creates isn't muffled and I can hear over the ringing...I don't know if that makes sense. But I can hear. I like want everyone in the world to call me so I can hear them. I'm so happy and so overwhelmed. I had to take them off to charge them and I'm back to not hearing and it's so upsetting. I've never had a hearing aid that worked well and now I'm going to ask my doctor if they have hearing aids like this. I'm so excited at the prospect of hearing again.

I am so happy for you <3<3<3 Take Care always and I am happy that you finally able to hear again. We are proud of you <3<3
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    That's wonderful. So happy for you. 😊
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Thank you all so much!

I just realized that people probably don't know what tinnitus is. It's when your ears ring constantly and it's a very high frequency. Most people have experienced something like it for a short duration at one point in their lives, but mine is constant. It wouldn't be so bad if my hearing loss wasn't so bad, but since it's muffled, the ringing is amplified. It keeps me up at night, it wakes me up when I'm asleep, I have trouble understanding people without reading their lips. The only thing that drowns it out is something very loud like standing near an airplane engine or huge air conditioning system.

If you watched the hunger games, the scene where Katniss blows up the thing and it explodes and the movie goes muffled and has ringing...that's what happened to me on my right side. It's been that way ever since.
    Linzz wrote: »
    @Mstybl95 I have hearing loss too and when I got my new hearing aids a year and a half ago it changed my life. The new hearing aids are amazing, they have Bluetooth and i never heard music before like i do now. I totally understand your feeling and im so happy for you! Definitely ask a ENT about hearing aids cuz new technology is making them better and better these days and it is a life changing experience! :)

Oh wow. This gives me hope. I didn't even know this technology existed and I've been living with this for 20 years now. I just found out about it by accident because I saw an ad for a set of headphones. Then I looked up bone conduction hearing aids and I'm wondering why my doc never even mentioned them.

I'm so glad you're hearing and it changed your life. This feeling is so much I can't even.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    That’s awesome! I’m so happy for you! Thank you for sharing. 🌈
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    That's great, so happy for you <3
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    I rarely go on the forums atm, so this post was a surprise and joy to see. Thanks so much for sharing your story op, so happy for you!!
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    That's amazing! I'm happy for you! It's so nice for you to share this :)
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    Wow, it's truly amazing. I'm so happy for you. :)
    What a lovely post to read first thing in the morning.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    God bless you. Your post brought me to tears. I am so happy for you. <3
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    That is truly amazing! I'm so happy for you, your post is very touching.

I have some minor hearing loss (just some high frequencies) which was very upsetting to me when it first happened because I had temporary tinnitus for a while and used to have very sharp hearing and had to get used to the changes. I felt all of that again through your post but can only imagine what you've gone through over the years to have had it that bad.

Thank you for sharing your personal story, I love a happy ending. ❤️ May life bring you endless joy and new possibilities.
    #Team Occult
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    What a beautiful and heartwarming post.
    To be able to experience and enjoy the wonders of the world of sound in such a way again is a marvelous thing to happen.
    I’m very happy for you and I wish you all the best. Thank you for sharing your story with us. ❤️
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Congratulations!! :smiley:
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

So happy for you!

—T
    Thanks everyone! I'm still so overwhelmed and have a huge headache from crying all day yesterday. Haha
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Just wanted to say like your post. i also have mild to moderate hearing loss and i got hearing aids during junior year of high school. i remember everything i could hear and it was amazing! even while playing the sims 2, 3, and 4 i've worn them and heard the most wonderful sounds!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited April 2021
    I am filled with joy reading this. My sister who is only a few years younger than me at 47 has begun to experience hearing loss. She got hearing aids at the end of 2018 and had a similar reaction. She called crying because when she left the doctor’s office she could hear birds chirping a sound she suddenly realized she hadn’t heard in years. I am so very happy for you and hope you can with the help of doctors find an even better solution. But in the meantime enjoy all the sounds! <3
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,013 Member
    I just wanted to add my congratulations too. So happy for you!
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    edited April 2021
    That is amazing news, I’m happy you can hear music and your kids again! I wish you well... This is honestly the Sims post that made me the happiest I’ve ever been.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,855 Member
    Hearing is magical!!

Here is Julius playing a celebratory tune for you <3

summer-violin-copy.png
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    How wonderful for you! Thank you for sharing. It is a lovely post. :)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Wonderful news! Thank you for sharing!