Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Know Any Simmers IRL

Comments

• ImSandsImSands Posts: 332 Member
    I've played Sims since TS1. My brother is the only other person I know that plays as well, though he is not as invested in the game as I am. I have a couple of friends who used to play but don't anymore mainly due to having small children and therefore very little time for themselves. They often express that they would love to have time to get back into the game again. All my friends know I play The Sims. <3
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited April 2021
    My entire immediate family; Hubby, three kids and myself played TS1 & TS2 in the past, but I'm the only one left still playing Sims every day. The only other person I know that plays is my daughter-in-law. But she still plays TS2, when/if she has any free time while taking care of our three Grandchildren. They're all under 3 years old, so not much free time for her. However, she did ask me a few things about TS4 just last night while we were visiting to celebrate my Son's birthday. She knows I like to build and wondered if I used house plans to build, among a few other things.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

I find that those students who play it are often - perhaps coincidentally - the most skillful artists. They utilize the game as a creative tool, so CAS and Build mode may be more important to them than Live mode although I have yet to find out whether this is truly the case or not.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 This is interesting. Of course unless some study is ever made, there is no way to know if this is true or not but I always felt like playing the Sims extensively when I was a kid/teenager made me more creative and more empathetic. Even though I never used CAS and Build mode that much I felt that even the Live mode encouraged me to be more creative and think outside the box.

I was always curious about if playing this game extensively has any benefits. We know, based on studies, that playing other games like shooters and adventure helps gamers develop better awareness, reaction times and reflexes. I'd be curious to see if sandbox games like the Sims come with any benefits of their own.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited April 2021
    Yes. I know several people that play and we are older than preteens haha. I never bring it up first though and only mention I play if I suspect they do or if they play other games. We're pretty different people but enjoy sims.
    Post edited by luxsylvan on
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Family friends had a pool party, the youngest watched me play The Sims 4. Next week she was playing it herself! So I do, but wish somebody my age instead. Once I had one friend, and she would play The Sims 2 PS2 with me. I still have that save.
  • thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I just remember the producers of the game revealing in an interview maybe a few years ago that their target audience was teenage girls and ever since it completely turned me off from sharing with anyone other than random folks online that I play the game (since I am not their target audience).

This. All my mates are hardcore players (LoL, DotA, Valorant, etc.), and I'm the black sheep of the group.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I’ve known a few over the years but only one of my friends plays it on console now. I need more gamer friends in general. :'(
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    My nephew casually plays it every once in awhile but other than that I don't know anyone else in real life that does.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    back in the day, me and my cousin would play ts2 all the time. but now as an adult I don't know anyone who's into the franchise. back when covid started, a close friend of mine got ts4 for free on origin but he didn't like the game.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    My best friend from elementary school used to play a lot. Maybe she still does, I have no idea. And my best friend from high school ocassionaly used to play, too. Maybe she still does, I have no idea. So yeah, I do.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

I find that those students who play it are often - perhaps coincidentally - the most skillful artists. They utilize the game as a creative tool, so CAS and Build mode may be more important to them than Live mode although I have yet to find out whether this is truly the case or not.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 This is interesting. Of course unless some study is ever made, there is no way to know if this is true or not but I always felt like playing the Sims extensively when I was a kid/teenager made me more creative and more empathetic. Even though I never used CAS and Build mode that much I felt that even the Live mode encouraged me to be more creative and think outside the box.

I was always curious about if playing this game extensively has any benefits. We know, based on studies, that playing other games like shooters and adventure helps gamers develop better awareness, reaction times and reflexes. I'd be curious to see if sandbox games like the Sims come with any benefits of their own.

@SimmerGeorge I don't intend to go OT but I am certain that playing sandbox games offers many benefits. Especially to those who are creatively inclined. Sure extensive research needs to be done (and probably has been done) to see how these games exactly affect people, but you already mentioned from personal experience that the game boosted your creativity and made you think about certain aspects of behavior. Maybe playing the sims helped you choose a certain path in your live.

Some kids who got inspired by the sims or minecraft are now architectural designers. Others are published writers and use sandbox games to create characters and worlds in order to get a better overview of what that story environment looks and feels like. Then there's folks who find that playing the sims simply helps them deal with anxiety.

I only need to spend a short amount of time on the forum and read about how The Sims benefits different people in different situations. It's wonderful & very interesting indeed!
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    I personally know one person who isn't family who has been playing since Sims 3 came out and I think I may have introduced him to it inadvertently when he was at our house once. Other than that- two of my kids, my husband on occasion, my sister-in-law, my sister and my nephew. My sister is the only on of that bunch that has also been playing 21 years, like me. She introduced me to it.

I'd be willing to bet that there are other people I know who do play it, but it's never come up in settings we've been in together.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I have never socialized with people who plays computer games so I don't know if it is just The Sims iterations; but lately I've taken to clearly state in conversation that I play this game, to see if the reactions are the same always. They sort of are.

I would not have thought that so many knew about the game, that despite that don't play it, as they say. Before I started to play TS3 a couple of years ago I had no idea what kind of game it was, it was just a fluke I opened it, and I did not buy it, nor any other computer video game, on my own accord.

The other reaction to me playing, is always slight contempt. It is a child's game after all, and very money-grabbing, and with a hostile community; but I also think it is influenced by computer games not being seen as an adult way of entertainment, at least for the people I meet.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

@SimmerGeorge I don't intend to go OT but I am certain that playing sandbox games offers many benefits. Especially to those who are creatively inclined. Sure extensive research needs to be done (and probably has been done) to see how these games exactly affect people, but you already mentioned from personal experience that the game boosted your creativity and made you think about certain aspects of behavior. Maybe playing the sims helped you choose a certain path in your live.

Some kids who got inspired by the sims or minecraft are now architectural designers. Others are published writers and use sandbox games to create characters and worlds in order to get a better overview of what that story environment looks and feels like. Then there's folks who find that playing the sims simply helps them deal with anxiety.

I only need to spend a short amount of time on the forum and read about how The Sims benefits different people in different situations. It's wonderful & very interesting indeed!
    That is interesting. I am stronger in math than art myself. I do crafts like knitting and crocheting. I tend to count square footage when I build and I do enjoy gameplay more. Would be interesting to see if artistic Simmers tend to be more attracted to CAS or not.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Yeah, I know several people who have played at least one iteration. I'm not sure if any of them play now, but I do have one friend who I can talk to currently about Sim stuff and he totally gets me, lol. He always liked building and deviant play. He plays a lot of different games so he's not really up to date with Sims stuff. Just a casual player. I think he started getting turned off by the microtransactions at some point in Sims 3 and also with Sims 4 so we talk about that kind of stuff too.
    #Team Occult
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I've met several who have played various Sims games and all of them were male. One of them was a fanatic about it. Two of them were store staff in the computer section of a large store and the fanatic, someone who heard me mentioning Sims 4 in passing in our local grocers and we then spent about 20 minutes discussing it. :)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited April 2021
    Well, I got involved with the sims 1 in about 2003. My youngest daughter told me and my older daughter about a game her friends mom played. I still remember the sims 1. I created many of my family in that one, many who are deceased now. My youngest daughter was in elementary school at the time, and my oldest was just a couple years out of high school and had just come back home from another state because of a bad car accident. My youngest made sims with large eyes, and was very interested in drowning them.... lol. My oldest daughter is a writer, and she has made some pretty detailed stories for her Sims. All 3 of us had to share the same computer back then, my husband and I were buying a home and didn’t get many expansions. My oldest daughter bought a new computer for the sims 2. She shared her game and computer with me then. And, I have to say that was the most fun iteration. About the time my husband died, my oldest bought the sims 3 for me, it had just come out, but I didn’t care for the rabbit holes, and it kept crashing on me so I gave it up for RuneScape an online game. Both my daughters and 1 of their boyfriends played that. Then, I started working and gave that up. Later I got involved with FreePlay on my phone, but didn’t like when they changed it where you had to spend money to keep your sims from aging. I discovered the sims 4 then, only a couple months after release. I have been playing it since then with a few breaks inbetween. It took me 2 years to find buy a good gaming laptop, to transfer the first few packs over. I am more heavily invested in 4 than I ever have been in any of the sims games, I own all the packs for once, and have been retired for the last few years. My oldest daughter plays on console and has most of the packs, I think she skipped JTB. We talk a lot about the sims, especially since the pandemic, when I was only visiting my children, and Vice-versa. My closest group of friends love to karaoke, go out to eat and see movies which because of the pandemic has been nixed. My other group of friends I would go out and eat with once a month....also has been nixed! But, my closest friends give me a blank stare if I mention sims, or any other games I play ( Minecraft, stardew valley and animal crossing )..... lol.... so I just don’t mention games around friends anymore. And, I always seem to come back to the sims 4 after brief breaks (with other games) from it. I’m sure hoping they update babies soon. I have been waiting for that for awhile now. Glad I had a good gaming laptop and the sims when the pandemic started. And, I always love coming to the forums. As I have gotten older I spend much more time here. And, I have learned so much more about the game from here. So, one daughter is all I know currently that plays this game. I have to admit, I can’t wait to see what the sims 5 will be like. If it doesn’t’t come out for a few more years. I will probably get another gaming laptop since they have so much more SSD now, than they did when I purchased this hybrid one.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    My two sons used to play it but lost interest when sims 3 came out. So nobody now.

I was once walking through town in a tee shirt with a plumbbob on the front and saw a young girl pointing and saying to her mum 'look, sims' but that's the only other person I've come across lol.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I had two co-workers who played Sims, Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Skyrim and watched Dr. Who so we always had things to talk about. One moved away last year but I still have one!
    And I got my granddaughter hooked and apparently her girlfriend plays a lot too, though I have only waved to the girlfriend on facetime so I can't say I know her.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    My two sons used to play it but lost interest when sims 3 came out. So nobody now.

I was once walking through town in a tee shirt with a plumbbob on the front and saw a young girl pointing and saying to her mum 'look, sims' but that's the only other person I've come across lol.
    I noticed my brother lost interest when the Sims 3 came out, Sister lost interest when Sims 4 came out, but she has it at her house now on console.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I only know of one person, and she's the friend who got me into the Sims.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    My daughter is the only one I know who plays. Sometimes we have entire phone conversations about what's going on in our games.
  • iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    No and that makes me sad because I like to talk about the Sims. There are some people that I know and have played the sims but don’t play it nearly as much as I do. So they’re not devoted simmers. Luckily I have found one friend here on the forums I can talk about sims with on a daily basis!
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    I've a cousin who used to play it, but not anymore, primarily to lacking a computer to run it. She's the one who got me into the series. Her boss is a very active Simmer as well.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I know of only two people who used to play it. But, alas, RL has stepped in and one is a brand new mother, with no time for fun and games, and my own daughter who introduced me to the Sims in the first place, now has ten children to look after. Suffice it to say, she has no time. So, yeah, I used to know two others in RL who played the game.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/