Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Carl talks about the new kits

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited April 2021
    I cant find a justifiable reason to support these packs. For the minuscule amount of content? Not for $5. Make it $2 and then we'll talk. This is just more EA shenanigans as usual. If someone wants to buy these kits, well you do you boo, but my wallet stays closed on principle.

I agree with you one that. Even if a Kit comes out with something I really want, I still won't buy it because based on principle. I don't want to support this kind of practice because I don't want to see a world in the future where this is a normal, "acceptable" practice.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    I think the gameplay kits are worthwhile. I was originally in complete agreement with Carl, but my friend who plays console explained that she wanted additional content but didn't want to drop a lot of money. So a few cheap kits added much needed content at a low price for someone who doesn't have free CC as an option. I DO think that the amount of content given for the non-gameplay kits is a little low for the price, but again it's only five dollars and no one is forcing anyone to buy them. I just wish that the pricing could be made even across all currencies and they be properly fixed and tuned before release.
  • Uroica69Uroica69 Posts: 30 Member
    I don't like the kits. I purchased the dust one, but I keep wanting it gone. Even when I turn off the effects in the settings, the maid still vacuums- and vacuums and vacuums and won't clean anything else!! Then I'm stuck in an inspired mood- no matter what I do to get my sim focused, confident, or energized, the vacuumed floor won't let me be anything but inspired! It's frustrating when the tools given (turning off dust effects) don't even work.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    My only gripe about kits is, they were meant to quench content droughts and yet we still haven’t had any for ages now.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I think kits are a way of working in the pandemic, with few people getting together to work on them from home. I have all the rest of the packs but only the Country kitchen kit so it does give me a way of putting what I actually want in my game.

I wouldn't like those vacuums and dust bunnies forced on me in a larger pack so I've saved money.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2021
    I agree with Carl as the Kits for me is not economically sound comparing the price with an SP and now an kit. Look more like an money grab to me and my instinct is telling me not to indulge, spend $5 to only to disable it priceless. :D
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I love Carl, but I disagree with him. I like the kits. I think it’s a great way to add a smaller amount of CAS, BB, or gameplay to the game for not a lot of money but if I decide to skip out on something I won’t feel like I am going to miss out on a major feature.

And that’s exactly the way they want you to feel.

I will ever ever ever support kits, when there is literally NO REASON ON EARTH why these things can’t be part of other packs, both past and future.

Micro transactions at its worst, and y’all are supporting it. Mad!

—T
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    edited April 2021
    To7m wrote: »
    I love Carl, but I disagree with him. I like the kits. I think it’s a great way to add a smaller amount of CAS, BB, or gameplay to the game for not a lot of money but if I decide to skip out on something I won’t feel like I am going to miss out on a major feature.

I will ever ever ever support kits, when there is literally NO REASON ON EARTH why these things can’t be part of other packs, both past and future.

—T

It actually does NOT in any way fit the definition of microtransactions, as you can't buy infinite amounts of them. What the TS3 Store had were microtransactions, a fact you all seem determined to ignore. :smile:
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I quite like these kits, having only bought one of them. I can do without hoovering and cleaning everything in sight and have enough dust bunnies in my own flat (wish I could afford a maid) and lived through those horrific CAS garments time so can well do without them too.

I like the Country Kitchen kit though, so I think I've saved some money!
    edited April 2021
    BookBear wrote: »

—T

It actually does NOT in any way fit the definition of microtransactions, as you can't buy infinite amounts of them. What the TS3 Store had were microtransactions, a fact you all seem determined to ignore. :smile:

You sure you looked up the definition? The kits itself fall into Microtransactions as Microtransactions can be purchased as one time purchases or multiple purchases online with an small price point in which these Kits fall under like an pay as you go and Sims series is not the only game that uses them.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

—T

In-game currency is not a prerequisite to be considered a microtransaction. That is an aggressive monetization scheme used in tandem with microtransactions. Any small transaction conducted online is considered a microtransaction.
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,172 Member
    Not touching any of the kits simply because its stuff that should have been in expansion and stuff packs .

Getting CC creators to make items is a cheap way of getting items made for free which they can then charge extra for , Also maybe it's because they have finally realised that they are no good at making the things themselves as they never seem to make a complete set that can be matched to every other item .

If you look at how many packs there are now for TS4 and compare it to how shallow it is compared to Ts3 you can clearly see their only interest is in the bottom line where the dollars sign is . I have gone back to playing Sims 3 simply because of there is a ton more depth to the play of it
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

—T

How does your statement even make any sense when you can't buy multiples of a store item or set?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    I like Carl. He says it like it is without sugarcoating it so that he won't offend people
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Bravo, Carl. This also simplifies why some of us have been complaining about this game since day one. Most of the game is as uncorrelated as the dust pack. But some never noticed.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited April 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »

Bravo, Carl. This also simplifies why some of us have been complaining about this game since day one. Most of the game is as uncorrelated as the dust pack. But some never noticed.

My suggestion is some knew but they could or cannot bring themselves to say anything as EA/Maxis may drop the Sims series as they did the Sims City series for the posts on that forum were really acid and rightfully so.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I have seen a few of Carl’s videos now on the recommendation on this forum. Personally I disagree with him as I like the game and kits. I feel he is going in a similar direction as lgr (I think his channel is called) which is ok but focuses so much on the negatives to the point I find it not helpful.
  • readerbug2readerbug2 Posts: 31 Member
    I mostly disagree with Carl. I'm not a fan of another pack type nor of the $5 price tag. However, I do understand the desire to get more content to players and to have more variety in game. It's a shame stuff packs aren't filling this void currently, but it's also very clear that stuff packs have evolved since the days of Luxury Party. It's understandable the team needs more time working on the quality of these packs. Overall, I think kits are small enough that folks won't feel the need to collect them all, like they do with packs. Personally, I bought two of the kits because they apply to my play style. I look forward to seeing more of them!

While everyone is entitled to an opinion, I also miss Carl's more neutral stance and his overviews. I use his gardening and career guides all the time. Even if Carl is disliking Sims 4 (and he often makes valid points), his melodramatic "woe is me" and "everyone who pays EA is a 🐸🐸🐸🐸" is way out of line, in my opinion.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    idk but I think his videos complaining about the Bust the Dust issues IS a very valid complaint. It isn't well-integrated at all, and Sims are too obsessed with smelling how clean the house is, regardless of where they are and how messy the floor really is. Plus the perma-Inspired buff was super annoying.

I also remember him complaining about the hugging the bug mechanic and yeah it's absurd that it's that way too.

I don't exactly play the game like he does so some of his complaints don't jive well with me simply because of the different playstyle but I do see where he's coming from when he critiques aspects of the game and I respect his views there.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2021
    Just curious of what is it that many disagree with Carl about concerning the dust kit? Is it that he pointed out Sims get inspired and stay inspired even though the floors are still filthy? Or that the Sims never dust up the spills the kids make on the floor and the game considers the floors clean? Shouldn't all that have been connected and not overlooked? It's almost like 'I live in a pigsty but I don't have dust!' It just shows how disconnected this game is from what really goes on in this game. And for some of us, that has been the complaint once we ran through the motions of the mechanics of the game in 2014. Let alone of the lack of new emotions to go with a new pack, kit or EP etc. Just the same old song and dance over and over on that front, too.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    What exactly is the new Kit that's coming to Sims 4?
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    It's dishearting to see so many people approve this cause it's content getting divided even more, meaning your still paying more for less when items for these kit packs could have simple gone into one single pack that's already been released. Basically you're telling them its okay to divide up and cut out content, and sims 4 content has been divided up enough as it is.
    giphy.gif

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Bust the Dust is one of the worst content in sims 4 in what concerns to bugs and tuning. A kit. A small kit, yet i need a handfull of mods to play it. It's almost embarassing. Sims that don't stop vacuuing, sims always inspired, maids that don't do anything else besides vacuuing (so leaving the house with dirty dishes and laundry in the floor everyday), money that comes out of nothing (i'm talking about random money that gets in sim's accounts without any interaction with dust bunnies)... It's a mess and unplayable without mods. Poor console players...
    At a rate of a dozen fixes per month, when will this bugs be addressed?
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Basically you're telling them its okay to divide up and cut out content, and sims 4 content has been divided up enough as it is.

Well yeah true but a lot of people in these forums have stated that they don't care what their purchase means to EA or to the future of the franchise as long as they get their fun. So as long as people keep paying for it nothing will change.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?