Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you create ancestors ?

Hi,

How much do you customize the family tree ? Do you create ancestors ?

Do you create ancestors ? 85 votes

No
77%
tams2578IcewolfjeepjeepcatMonet11xoJessiTheSpotted_CIsb917SimburianBloosmooMeteoraStormStrangerthanSageRainWillowelanorbretonhaneulsimgirl1010freindlylolcchant86fruitsbasket101ldmarkoakaniki0 66 votes
Yes, Cowboys
1%
EnkiSchmidt 1 vote
Yes, Nobles (Rococo)
1%
Airakale 1 vote
Yes, Pirates
1%
DaWaterRat 1 vote
Yes, Knights
0%
Yes, Romans
0%
Yes, Ninjas
1%
DoodlyDoofus 1 vote
Yes, other civilization
1%
Missmagoo2 1 vote
Yes, from several eras
16%
auroraael14LeGardePourpreMstybl95GoddessBylinehalloweenchildColton147147johnjetSERVERFRAsarabeth2984RouensimsfaeriedusteArcherDKFlikka_FlikkaLogicallyironic 14 votes

Comments

• thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2021
    No
    I focus on gameplay far more than storytelling, so I only create parents/grandparents/ancestors whenever necessary for advancing through aspirations and convenience on gameplay. The Genetics feature is only a few clicks away in CAS anyway. For instance, if I want a Sim's handiness skill to level up faster, I'd create a parent of theirs with maxed-out handiness (either by playing them on a different save or using cheat codes) and let them be a mentor.

Creating the ancestry is tedious. I have OCD, and I try not to get stuck in preparatory phases (setting up the story, lots, genealogy, mods, etc.) for way longer than actually playing the game.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    No
    The only time ancestors factor at all into my play is with legacy-style households, which aren't the only kind of households I play. Even with the legacy ones, though, the only ancestors are the ones I actually play, so the first sim's ancestry is always undefined. I do a lot of story-style play with those, but I've never felt compelled (or even the desire) to make pre-existing family trees and the like.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    No
    Sometimes I'll make parents and grandparents that live in the world but most of the time I'm too lazy so no
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Some of my sims have an ancestory background.

1. Sandra Matthews and Glenn Parker have a shared background. Sandra's grandfather on her fathers side and Sandra's grandmother on her mothers side had an affair long ago that lead to Glenn coming into the world, a love child they had to give up for adoption. Sandra has an uncle she doesn't know anything about and Glenn doesn't know he has a niece or the rest of his natural family.

Glenn has a wife, Sabrina, he grew up with her in the Parker household and married her when the two were old enough to do so. The two of them have two adult offspring in Elouise and Adam. Adam is married to Mingmei and they have a son, Ding.

2. Another household that has an ancestory is the Dennis household, Richard and Lea are related but a lot more distantly, they are cousins. Lea is just a child who ended up in the system when she was but a baby, she was taken out of the system by the Foster family towards the end of her toddler years, Cassandra and Anna are married, they have a natural daughter, Stacie, but they also have two other unrelated children they adopted along with Lea. Richard is a young adult and a very famous sim known for his big action films, he has no connections of his own besides Lea as his parents passed away, one from a traffic accident and the other due to medical complications and the other family members aren't alive either, not even on Lea's side. Neither Richard or Lea know of each other.

3.The Hiroshimoto family are fanatical about protecting their bloodline, they want to keep it pure by making sure any person looking to marry into the bloodline is of Japanese origin like they are, if they aren't the family will categorically and vehemently not accept the pairing under any circumstance. The Hiroshimoto family history can be traced back to ancient Yayoi period and at one point during the Nara period there was an emperor who was from the Hiroshimoto family, however this only lasted 5 years when the emperor was murdered, but not before he had children with his consort. The Hiroshimoto family have a powerful hold over parts of Japan as the family is ancient, rich and very well respected.

The smaller and often overlooked Sikuchi family have got a long history with the Hiroshimoto, as they intermarry family members, but they make sure that several generations pass before they consider another match to make sure the chances of genetic overlap is a lot less. Thankfully though, the vast majority of the marriages and children are unrelated. The Sikuchi family have been in existence since the Heian period, and have never had the size or ability of the Hiroshimoto or other larger families.

I have others in there, but essentially it isn't that many more. My sims do have backgrounds and history of their own, but a lot of it relating to their extended families aren't part of the events and putting them in means creating a tunnel and another room to fill out the details, it has to be stopped somewhere with a clean break.
  • msullivan789msullivan789 Posts: 16 Member
    I get super paranoid about the kids being taken away so I usually avoid having any of them at all. If I do they’re usually raised by a sim outside the active household. I don’t need overly sensitive notifications implying that I’m a horrible monster for not knowing what I’m doing.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    No
    VeeDub wrote: »
    The only time ancestors factor at all into my play is with legacy-style households, which aren't the only kind of households I play. Even with the legacy ones, though, the only ancestors are the ones I actually play, so the first sim's ancestry is always undefined. I do a lot of story-style play with those, but I've never felt compelled (or even the desire) to make pre-existing family trees and the like.

This.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited April 2021
    Yes, from several eras
    Here's what I do. I delete every single lot. I delete every single sim. I build every single lot. I create every single sim. Every single family that I will play on rotation has a backstory and a history. If I'm playing adults, I have to give them parents, living or dead. And their parents need parents if they are still alive. So I ultimately start out with a full society of all ages to play or, at least, have in the background with the club system. I'll be honest, I don't play elders all the time unless I got them there from birth. But I do love seeing them in the hood and I really love having my sims visit their parents or even live with their parents.

Oooh...here is the one I'm currently playing. I'm actually playing this family because one of my dummy sims decided to play in the rain and got electrocuted and died. She had a strained relationship with her mom so when her son went to live with his gran, the mom was so happy to see him. The gran has a best friend that lives in the apartment next door and I've made both sims the little boy's guardian. And they love him. Actually everyone in the apartment building loves him. If I hadn't created parents for my sim, I could have never continued playing with my boy because he would have been taken by the social worker.
    Tragedy almost struck again
    OFQ9l3n.jpg

Gran is poor, didn't even have money for a second bed. So they have to make due
    xmNW7SV.jpg

Here's both grans
    zdEXrPX.jpg
  • hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    No
    No and never really thought to honestly [
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited April 2021
    Yes, Cowboys
    I gave my Detroit sims ancestors from when the city got founded, but so far only on paper. There are miners, sailors, soldiers, trappers, hunters and generic settlers among the bunch. Someday when I want to play a decades or Build a city challenge these will be my starting sims.

The Phillips, Kamski, Anderson and Reed family also have great-grandparents from when I played a flashback save, but these sims do not exist in my main save, even though some of them might still be alive there. They do, however, serve to give me an idea of who exactly bit the dust when the Marry for Money chance card comes up.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited April 2021
    Yes, from several eras
    I create lots of ancestors, but they’re all living in my world. For example, one of my main families, the Friend family, has five living generations now and will probably gain more in the future. I created all of Dirk Dreamer’s parents and grandparents, and some great-grandparents. Ancestors in my game are usually just regular people, no pirates or anything fancy.

These are Dirk’s ancestors. They actually all live in Del Sol Valley now.

50765226721_334fc96771_b.jpg

I create so many ancestors I have to age my Sims down and then back up in order to be able to create the ancestors in CAS.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No
    I tried to create grandparents once and the game got confused lol never tried it again.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited April 2021
    idk what to really answer lmao

usually when i make sims of my own from scratch its 1-2 sims

who are the starting sims of their family line regardless of era
    so in a way they are the ancestors of whoever comes afterwards in that family as i play

and the starting point could be any of the mentioned eras and such but idk i often dont go for any era in specific cause i just cant bother

i do feel they be most close to like royalty or nobles though if i had to relate them to one thing

and for premades i bring back from ts1-2
    i add all family that is relevant to their family tree or story whenever i can

like for example adding curious and smiths i did need to also make glarn and kitty for curious family

even though i also had to kill them in play right away because i wanted to set it similar to how it was in ts2 and they were not actually alive in ts2 but yeah i still wanted to connect the families properly
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    No
    I sometimes create relatives for my sims. Sometimes parents or grandparents, Sometimes aunts and uncles with cousins. If I create relatives/ancestors the are always closely related, never from other eras.
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    No
    I said no, but I suppose I have created immediate descendants (Grand parents etc) who are killed off via mod as soon as I start . None before great grandparents though.
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    I do legacy play so yes I have ancestors.
    I get super paranoid about the kids being taken away so I usually avoid having any of them at all. If I do they’re usually raised by a sim outside the active household. I don’t need overly sensitive notifications implying that I’m a horrible monster for not knowing what I’m doing.

Just feed them and give them attention enough that the bars fills up. Lacking of those two things is enough to have them taken away. Or go them as soon as you get the warning.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    Yes, Ninjas
    I don't actually, but now I want to make Ninja Ancestors for my Sims.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Yes, from several eras
    I've created my Ancestors; from British, Scottish, French, German & Prairie Cree. I'm extremely happy about my multicultural Ancestory. B)
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Yes and no. It depends on the saved game I'm playing and the household I'm playing.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Yes, from several eras
    Yes, this does come into play for story related reasons.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    Yes, from several eras
    In my case, the ancestors are interesting when it's about vampires and witches from the past.

• Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    No
    I don't make ancestors for my Sims, and I am still in my first/second generation for them. Those generations will eventually be the ancestors to any future Sims I have, so I just have to wait for that.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    No
    .. but I wish I could say I created Ninja ancestors..
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Ninja ancestors? Loading game now. Jokes apart, I do. I wasn't sure which to pick, but averagely my sims are from one country, and their ancestors "stay there," while my sim finds a new life. Sometimes the first sim IS the beginning of the ancestry, and I just keep every sim growing this tree forever.
  • GoddessBylineGoddessByline Posts: 281 Member
    Yes, from several eras
    Sometimes I create a dead spouse, or dead grandparents. I did it more often in Sims 3 though, were you can actually have relationship with your ancestors.
    I don't use CC so if you see something in a screenshot of mine, it's from the game.
    EA Account (Gallery) ID: BylineBelife
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    No
    I don’t usually make sims I don’t plan to play with unless I want to make sims siblings because I don’t like the weird gray portraits the game uses in the family tree.