Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sentiments that make absolutely no sense.

2...Next

Comments

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited March 2021
    Catzilla wrote: »
    I really, really wish I could toggle sentiments off. Some are okay but others are annoying, mostly they're distracting.

It hasn't bothered me yet for "Sentiments", however, this may help if there is any you want to remove:

https://simscommunity.info/2020/12/10/the-sims-4-sentiment-cheats-base-game/

So for removing it, this:
    modifyrelationship firstname lastname firstname2 lastname2 -100 (Sentiment Tag)

As for shutting it off completely? I'm sure at least one person has made a mod for that. ;)

EDIT: I found a video by SIMsational that may make it easier to see how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXLpNgF6Ljg
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Surely it's normal for a toddler to harbour a grudge against a parent...? I have seen my brother taking sweets off his daughter and it wasn't fun for her!

Temporarily, yes, I could see it. But in this case the sim was still stressed and angry every time the parent sim came near them, even after they'd aged up into a teenager. And same as @Sara1010P above the relationship bar was previously full, the toddler had the angelic trait, wasn't in a bad mood, hadn't been frightened by a thunderstorm, and yet one question on potty training from the parent was enough to send them into a permanent state of rage and stress, and they were still raging and stressing through three different ages? Yeah nah, that's just nonsensical.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Surely it's normal for a toddler to harbour a grudge against a parent...? I have seen my brother taking sweets off his daughter and it wasn't fun for her!

In some circumstances I could see it, but the way it played out for me was my Sim parent asked the toddler to play, the toddler said no and got the grudge sentiment. The relationship bar was full between them. The toddler wasn't independent nor in a bad mood. This makes no sense.

It annoys me because there is no explanation for why the toddler is hurt, and it makes no sense for it to last days.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    My Sims often get the "closer from happy memories" sentiment with Sims they literally just said hello to. Which makes no sense since they have no memories with that Sim at all so how can they be closer from happy memories?

About your toddler who's still mad after aging up into a teen, what lifespan length are you playing on? How many Sim days has it had that sentiment?
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited March 2021
    I got the one with kids at the Festival of Youth and the two sisters being mad at each other and their parents for nearly a full week because they didn't receive a blessing. That was ridiculous! Why would something silly like that last a whole week but a cheating spouse sentiment lasts for a couple of hours? It makes no sense at all.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Can't say I've really had too many issues with sentiments so far. *knocks on wood* Lifestyles, however, why do all my sims get People Person? I want to hermit them all forever now!
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I wish the game would tell me why some of the negative sentiments would crop up, like some make sense, like being snubbed at an event such as a party or birthday. But then ofc you have the ones that just pop up for no reason, if they were properly implemented with oh x happens for y reason then I wouldn't be so confused.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    Can't say I've really had too many issues with sentiments so far. *knocks on wood* Lifestyles, however, why do all my sims get People Person? I want to hermit them all forever now!

Oof, I hate People Person and Close-Knit (almost as annoying as the Single and Loving It lifestyle), I was playing a family where the wife went to work and her husband was a stay at home dad while their child was a toddler, the mother ended up being a people person because of her job and co-workers and the dad ended up being close-knit because he was only friends with his wife, child and two neighbours. Eventually, the toddler aged up into a child and I had the dad join a career and he started meeting his co-workers. He would get constant tense debuffs that would.not.go.away, because he was "losing the close-knit lifestyle". Worst still was when he did eventually lose the lifestyle, he had a permastuck tense buff. The only way I was able to fix it was to cheat him with the people person lifestyle.

I guess the lifestyles are working as intended, but some of them feel easier to achieve than others. But then it gets even worse when the moods get stuck or they get tense within a day of not doing their lifestyle activity (Outdoorsy sims get stressed when they're stuck inside, but oops, guess what you can't go out in a thunderstorm unless you want to die...), it certainly feels underdone and overdone at the same time, if that's even possible.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    Finvola wrote: »
    I got the one with kids at the Festival of Youth and the two sisters being mad at each other and their parents for nearly a full week because they didn't receive a blessing. That was ridiculous! Why would something silly like that last a whole week but a cheating spouse sentiment lasts for a couple of hours? It makes no sense at all.

Yep, I had a similar one! My child sim was peeved at her mum and TODDLER brother for not giving her the "blessing of Youth". I mean sorry champ, but your brother is a baby and doesn't even have the interaction and your mum is at work earning a living to keep a roof over your head, so sorry that they couldn't give you some dumb blessing that literally means nothing in the grand scheme of the game. (seriously if it provided a skill boost for a few days instead of just a buff it would be more useful XP)
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    One that is bugging me is the workaholic lifestyle. My Sim gets tense from work withdrawals while AT work. Then she comes home tense because she needs a vacation. Haha, on top of that she is hotheaded, so she is a mess.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Other than a few sentiments that I felt were gained a bit too quickly, I haven't seen a lot of weirdness with them. The only exception right now is a sim I'm playing from birth to death, who is currently a teenager. I can generally pretend that some oddness could be attributed to hormones and the emotional uncertainty often common to that part of a person's life, but... Yeah, sometimes it's a mystery.

My teen went on a date that ended badly, yet he somehow ended up with "Smitten" and "Deeply in Love" while the girl who cuckolded him (in front of him, while they were still on the date, lol) had absolutely zero sentiments toward my boy. The kids had known each other since early childhood, but they had only flirted around a bit one other time before the date. During the date they flirted some more, but then she asked some other boy to join her in a closet. My kid was pretty sure they weren't playing foosball in there. Ahem. They lost relationship points because of the date fiasco, so I have no idea how those sentiments happened. I gave up trying to explain it to myself. :confused:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Other than a few sentiments that I felt were gained a bit too quickly, I haven't seen a lot of weirdness with them. The only exception right now is a sim I'm playing from birth to death, who is currently a teenager. I can generally pretend that some oddness could be attributed to hormones and the emotional uncertainty often common to that part of a person's life, but... Yeah, sometimes it's a mystery.

My teen went on a date that ended badly, yet he somehow ended up with "Smitten" and "Deeply in Love" while the girl who cuckolded him (in front of him, while they were still on the date, lol) had absolutely zero sentiments toward my boy. The kids had known each other since early childhood, but they had only flirted around a bit one other time before the date. During the date they flirted some more, but then she asked some other boy to join her in a closet. My kid was pretty sure they weren't playing foosball in there. Ahem. They lost relationship points because of the date fiasco, so I have no idea how those sentiments happened. I gave up trying to explain it to myself. :confused:

I think it's so cool when this happens... sentiments irl aren't something we can control with reason... she may be cold and decided and may have disapointed him in their date but he can't avoid being in love with her :)
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    VeeDub wrote: »

I think it's so cool when this happens... sentiments irl aren't something we can control with reason... she may be cold and decided and may have disapointed him in their date but he can't avoid being in love with her :)

This is true; in real life things like that happen, lol. I interpret this case a little differently (story reasons), but I haven't removed the sentiments because I'm waiting to see how the drama plays out with some other twists now in the mix. He hasn't spoken to her since the date and he's currently "Smitten" with a couple of other people as well. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

I've noticed that alot of the time these "sentiments" can be made while they are in NPC mode. What I mean is let's say you're out with the household you're currently playing to a nightclub or gym, or whatever, your "played" characters that show up in the area while in NPC mode can not only build up relations like friendship (good or bad) but also sentiments.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! FYI: I moved this thread to the Game Feedback section. :)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Thus far I haven't had any issues with sentiments....one of the best features they've introduced in the sims since TS2.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member
    edited April 2021
    So far I've had two problems with sentiments.

1) A friend of a vampire suddenly got a "bitter grudge" sentiment toward her with no obvious trigger while having a "pleasant conversation", and with their relationship bar quite high in the positive direction. No idea why.

2) I think the developers forgot about the "player" trait when they created the sentiment system. If a sim's partner has the "player" trait they are not supposed to get upset about their partner flirting, kissing or even woohooing with someone else. I use this trait to create open or polyamorous relationships of various types. Unfortunately, sentiments has kind of broken it. Now sims will get a bitter or hurt sentiment when their partner (with the player trait) does these things. Even though they still don't react with a negative moodlet immediately when the action happens, the sentiment will cause them to periodically get upset.

I've used the cheat to remove these weird and unwanted sentiments, but its such a cumbersome and long cheat code, it's kind of annoying to use.

Most of the rest of the time, I've liked the sentiments and they've made sense. I actually do think they add some depth to the game. But I wish that a toggle to turn them off had been included like it was included for lifestyles. Especially considering that sentiments came in a patch update that cannot be avoided. Players couldn't even choose not to have sentiments by not buying a pack. The sentiment system was forced on everyone whether they wanted it or not. So it really should have come with a "turn off" option.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • MissClairelyMissClairely Posts: 15 Member
    Yeah, it's a disaster. My sim became close-knit with a room mate. Then all the room mates hung out together to watch a friend's performance. She's had a +5 tense moodlet ever since, because "Friend Balance Crashing!" and I have no idea how to fix it without cheating besides having her hang out alone with her BFF, but that doesn't seem to help. Like, am I stuck with this moodlet? Can she get out of the "close-knit" lifestyle without cheats? Can she stay "close-knit" but also not have a mental breakdown indefinitely??

Oh, and her other room mate hates her because they participated in neighborhood brawl...despite hugging it out after, as one does, they still get an angry moodlet whenever they see each other, because neighborhood brawl created a memory (I'm not calling it a sentiment, that's dumb, it's literally a memory) of them fighting, because naturally, after playfighting with your friend and hugging afterwards, both of you immediately cease speaking to each other and become enraged whenever seeing each other. Totally realistic. Makes perfect sense. /s
  • PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    Some things I have found.

Negative sentiments, you can get rid of them by doing friendly socials, giving gifts and apologising.

Lifestyles, annoying. However I usually end up getting the carefree reward trait or completing the beach life aspiration so my sim isn’t always tense. The moodlets get stuck, like my sim goes to work then comes home and still has the tense moodlet from not being at work. Yet they just went.