Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I get StrangerVille?

So, the only reason why I'm thinking of getting this pack is because of the military career! I really want that career mostly because of a particular sim that I'm playing(roleplaying) as he grows up he joins the military (navy in real life but we can't be too specific in this game! lol) Anyways, I currently have Get to Work, Get Famous, Seasons, Get Together, Discover University, City living, and Cats & Dogs as my expansions! My game packs I have only Dine out and Spa Day! I am thinking of just waiting on a sale but we might not get one until summer? Or is there usually one in April?

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited April 2021
    I enjoy Strangerville, and you can - to a certain extent - ignore the storyline if you're okay with sims behaving weirdly while you're in town. And in the Military Career, you'll want to visit because some of the work from home tasks require interacting with other military personnel, and the easiest place to find them is in Strangerville - specifically the 8 bells bar.

How replayable the storyline is depends on how easily you can spin it for different "takes" on why your sim cares to take it on. I've actually found more options for different takes once I played through a couple of times, since knowing the plot actually helps me come up with alternate reasons. But the tasks themselves will always be the same.

As a sometimes builder, I love the build mode items. I like making Victorian "Painted Lady" houses and only wish there were more color options.

So, yeah, I'd say to get strangerville, but at the same time, unless you enjoy that style of build and/or the idea of the storyline, I'd wait for a sale
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'ld say get it but on sale considering that you're only interested in the career. I think it's worth for the career, the world, the bb and the blackmail machine.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Sims 4 packs go on sale all the time.
  • Options
    TwinkiesLATwinkiesLA Posts: 181 Member
    You should get Strangerville. It is a really fun pack and I have enjoyed the CAS options and Build Mode. It is always better to wait for it to go on sale though.
    source.gif

Gallery ID: Shockmsd
    Forum Name: TwinkiesLA
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I'd say wait for a sale, but definitely get the pack. If you are a roleplayer, you'll love the military salute that comes with the career, marching around, the option to bug sims and later listen in on them... all of that works in every world. Sparring is a bit of a letdown, because there is no winner, the sims just spar and then shake hands.

While you wait for Strangerville to drop in price, check the gallery for a navy base that you can make into a dorm for your cadet to be, so that he can get his degree in style in Annapolis. I don't remember the lot names, but I think I saw two and also some coast patrol ships.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I definitely think it’s worth it, the world is pretty and it has a lot of lots for a gamepack. I was hoping the career would have been active and we would have had more military equipment. It has some really nice Build stuff.
  • Options
    lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    If you're a builder, it's totally worth it, but I don't think it's worth it just for the career. You might even find a mod just for a military career that dates pre Strangerville. It's probably not broken either, I've never had an issue with custom careers.

In my opinion, Strangerville is a great world with plenty of wonderful residential lots but the commercial lots are too tiny, especially the library. I think the build mode objects are amazing. I could care less about CAS but they did a good job there with making them workable. I think the whole storymode was fun to play but I'd never do it again. It was surprising at first with all the twists and turns, but once you know, you know and it's a little eh. The bizarre plants everywhere do NOT go away once you defeat the thing. (trying not to say it incase you don't know bc the surprise was WONDERFUL) and I really hate those lil ugly purple things. I've also noticed that any sims that live in strangerville can appear in any world walking around like a zombie and that kinda irritates me. It even happens after I defeat the thing. I also really wish I could edit the lab in the crater. I hate how it's locked because I NEED to give that place a makeover. I think if I went back in time AND I wasn't a builder, I probably wouldn't purchase Strangerville. If not for build mode, it's very... eh.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I suggest waiting for a deeply cut sale. Other than the build material and new career I found the pack to be essentially useless.
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    I'd wait for the sale. The only thing I like about the pack is the Possessed emotion.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    It's my favorite game pack, so I would definitely say buy it.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    You should always wait for a sale because there is one about every one or two months but I definitely say buy it. Strangerville is my third favorite game pack. I would get it for the world alone if anything. The Strangerville town has a unique feel to it that you dont get anywhere else. Also is one of the few worlds where I m happy with how all the neighboorhoods look. The military career does not make it worth alone though imo. Its a simple semi active career and its a small portion of the pack. Its fun but it doesnt justify the cost. The storyline is a lot more replayable than it seems at least in my personal experience. I solve the mystery almost in every save. Every time I make up different reasons on why my characters get involved in this mystery. The tasks though are always the same.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    It's an older pack, so definitely wait for a sale. That being said, I like the pack very much - the world, BB and CAS items. I have several saves and I actually just completed the story again a few days ago again in one of the saves I hadn't yet and the visuals and the atmosphere in StrangerVille (especially in the last stage of the story) were still enjoyable to me and playing the story again was a nice break from regular gameplay. The military career is actually the least interesting part of the pack to me.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    @CareyWarrior Strangerville is on sale for 25% off via Origin until April 20th.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    It’s a great pack I never understood the hate for it. It has good gameplay, good cas and bb items. Also the world is stunning. If you can get it on sale it’s even better. Personally I think it’s one of the better gamepacks.
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    I love the cas & bb. The world is also stunning. I just wish the story was longer. I would definitely recommend getting it though!
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Pros: 1) Strangerville offers you a story. 2) Strangerville events are self contained and won't affect other world. 3) Some hidden stuff is actually pretty cool. 4) Reasonably useful stuff is added to the game if you are a builder, both normal and debug.

Cons: 1) Once you have done it once you probably won't do it again as there is very limited variation in decision making. 2) Aspiration is essentially a tutorial abd a guide for the story even though it's reward is kinda okay. 3) Personal opinion is that the new world is kind of dreary.

I think Sims 4 has potential for more story based content and Streangerville offers exactly that. What it does it does not too shabbily but it doesn't do much beyond that.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    CareyEve36CareyEve36 Posts: 287 Member
    Well as luck would have it, its on sale now! Are there any notable stuff packs I should get this with?
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Well as luck would have it, its on sale now! Are there any notable stuff packs I should get this with?

What don't you have?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    CareyEve36CareyEve36 Posts: 287 Member

What don't you have?

What I don't have in expansion packs is eco life style, island living, and snowy escape. Game packs I only have Dine out and Spa Day. I was also thinking of getting realm of magic to!

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    So, the only reason why I'm thinking of getting this pack is because of the military career! I really want that career mostly because of a particular sim that I'm playing(roleplaying) as he grows up he joins the military (navy in real life but we can't be too specific in this game! lol) Anyways, I currently have Get to Work, Get Famous, Seasons, Get Together, Discover University, City living, and Cats & Dogs as my expansions! My game packs I have only Dine out and Spa Day! I am thinking of just waiting on a sale but we might not get one until summer? Or is there usually one in April?

Don't buy Strangerville full price if you only want the military career, it's not even an active one.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

What don't you have?

What I don't have in expansion packs is eco life style, island living, and snowy escape. Game packs I only have Dine out and Spa Day. I was also thinking of getting realm of magic to!

From the eps you don't have i would choose eco lifestyle. It adds much more than any of the others. I would get realm of magic too, it's really cool!
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I have great fun with the Strangerville pack and I have not completed the goal so far but that is because of my way of playing. I am not so goal oriented in so far as my sims doesn't have to complete different aspirations but I am more interested in that the different packs forms opportunities for my Sims to have adventures there while going on with their daily life.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    @CareyWarrior what did you end up buying?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member

I have the Strangerville pack, and I'm very happy I bought it. I played the actual story only twice, but I use the CAS and BB stuff all the time. The story playing out in Strangerville is self-contained - it won't affect your other worlds.

And if you want to use the military career, your Sim doesn't have to live in Strangerville - I have Sims in the military career in other worlds.

Also, once you solve the mystery, you have a choice to toggle the "strangeness" level in Strangerville: so if you wish, you can turn it into a normal world, without anything "bizarre" going on anymore.

Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member

What don't you have?

Couple of things to note: If you don't want to play the story of Strangerville, and you are not opposed to mods, Bienchen has one that bypasses the storyline and sets the town as if everything is solved. Even the weird plants go away. Also, I have seen one of the infected townies at a festival in San Myshuno. I didn't interact with him, and thought it was a minor annoyance.

As to what other packs to get, it depends on what you enjoy doing. I enjoy Island Living and Snowy Escape because of the locations, and because you can set rental lots. I tend to use those worlds as vacation destinations. Of the two, I prefer Island Living. It is very lovely and I do enjoy the water activities. I don't play mermaids, so I can't speak about that. I really enjoy Jungle Adventure more than I thought I would. In my opinion, it has a lot of gameplay value. I think that any of those could be used in a military storyline as possible 'deployment locations' or something involving 'a secret mission'. If you wanted to go that way... :)

I think any of those packs are well worth getting on sale.