Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    How is April treating everyone?

Well I learned it's gonna end with Tater going under for serious teeth cleaning. Poor lil guy. He had his first vet visit (well with ours) yesterday and everyone thinks he's the cutest, gentlest dog and older than we were led to believe (probably six years old instead of three or four). But I've always appreciated older dogs...

I have a ridiculous goal to try and get Outrun back by my birfday (April 19th) but we'll see. I've completed some chapters but not the very first post-prologue one but who needs that anyways?
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @DeafSimmer: I lost my childhood dog a couple years ago. I've "filled the void" with the chihuahuas but I still miss him sometimes. And thanks for the chapter link! I don't check Tumblr enough to stay up to date (I guess my preferred way of following you)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    @DeafSimmer I had Taco bell for my brunch today after dealing with bloodwork this morning
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    New story chapter is out:
    . Part Two Chapter Three: Amanda, Leo, Theodore
    they/them or she/her
  • NewToTheSimsNewToTheSims Posts: 1,160 Member
    Shadami wrote: »
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @NewToTheSims , hope you don't mind me posting my thoughts on the Seven Ridiculous Sins here. Chapter Two:
    I love Wrath, he's so disgruntled about everything and it's brilliant (and relatable) I love the humour in this story, I was laughing when Lust was gushing over his own pecs. Accidentally making copies of books on a low budget is the worst XC Seems like a pretty tough challenge in some ways but I'm enjoying it so far and I like that the characters are all enjoyable as well.

@SnowBnuuy - No, I don't mind, although it would also be fine for you to post a comment directly on the Wordpress. But either way, I don't mind, if I find a comment from you on the forum, I'll just copy it to the comment form on my blog with a note that says it's from you. :blush:

Now to reply to your comment.
    LOL, I guess it's not too clear is it? Wrath is the girl with the red ❤️❤️❤️❤️ vest. Just thought I'd clear that up before you read more. Haha. I am so happy you like the characters. I know, right? I was like, ❤️❤️❤️❤️, those ❤️❤️❤️❤️ copies of books costing me money. Hahaha. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. ♥

I'm glad someone else is enjoying your story as well. :D

@Shadami - Hey! LOL. So am I. :blush:
  • AnnoyingTigerAnnoyingTiger Posts: 509 Member
    Does anyone know of any discord servers for writing? Specifically original novels but for fanworks, as well.
    ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Life's Greatest Adventure, The Morgan Legacy ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
    ntlW6ly.png
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    How's everyone?

Also, I have a question: If you reboot your story, do you go for the same plotline, or do you go for something a little different so it doesn't feel like the same story again?

@DeafSimmer This is such a great question. I haven't been around much, but this question caught my eye. :)

I rewrite frequently... mostly because it's my style, but also because I feel like I grow and change as a writer, and I also am constantly building the world my Sims live in and so I adjust for consistency.

I did a full rewrite for my story, The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright. I wanted to change some things, add other things, and overall improve the writing. I kept most of the original main plot points and added a mystery and made some tweaks to deepen character personalities and backstories. It was a lot of fun.

I'm one chapter into a rewrite for another story of mine, and I'm tweaking other stories too. It's all a matter of personal preference. I think the best thing is to be up-front with your readers that you're making some changes (not necessarily telling them what it is, but giving them notice) and then go for it!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Odd request for "the community" but if anyone wants to give @Brennachan something nice to come back to: her husband had a stroke and the prognosis is not good. I left her a tweet but I figure people not on Twitter can send her a PM with support. I've never played with the Murkland lore but I love some of the stories and builds that come out of it.

Wow... that's really scary. Aww... my husband had to go to the hospital in February and I couldn't go with him because of COVID. Thankfully, I had a friend stay at my house to help keep me company and keep my anxiety at bay. I'll definitely send a message. Murkland lore is always something that has intrigued me, but you know me... too many stories already. Haha.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Just a little plug: finally got another sims story summary/promo session up, either I read your story and mentioned you or there's plenty of stuff to read! I really am hoping to get over these killer headaches though.

Thanks for the shoutout! :heart:

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Apparently today is my 7th forums anniversary! I could've sworn it was longer actually. Haha. I think I started playing Sims about 10 years ago and joined the forums (officially started posting) 7 years ago. Time flies when you're having fun!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited April 2021
    yeah it worked.

congrats A andE Someone outside was filling a buckrt or something out side my window andi wasn't sure my link worked.
    Welp, I started reading the Blackwell Chronicles and now I’m hooked on it XUX That and Tales of Camelot. Honestly it feels really good to actually get into something again and be excited about something again.

I realise coming back to SimLit, that A Level English Literature has ruined my reading brain and I overthink the meaning of every little thing in others’ writing : p
    they/them or she/her
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Welp, I started reading the Blackwell Chronicles and now I’m hooked on it XUX That and Tales of Camelot. Honestly it feels really good to actually get into something again and be excited about something again.

I realise coming back to SimLit, that A Level English Literature has ruined my reading brain and I overthink the meaning of every little thing in others’ writing : p

oh so your cathtea 3 now. lol. cathtea is one obviously then somehow i started callind adamandeve cathtea 2 or jr.so that makes you 3.
  • SnuffyBucketSnuffyBucket Posts: 569 Member

@SnowBnuuy Those two stories are two of absolute favourites and I love seeing their praises being sung, so just hopping on your excitement bandwagon, don't mind me. ;) Both are absolutely perfect to lose yourself in if you're a overthinking, detail addict (I'm exactly the same).

@_sims_Yimi 's lore is so rich and in-depth. I'm not sure where you're up to in Tales in Camelot, I was hooked from the first chapter, but it just gets better and better as you go through, gradually pulling you under until it takes over your entire soul.

@ThePlumbob 's Blackwell Chronicles; so different, but same level of immersion for me. Her characters are so well-constructed and painfully relatable that, despite the supernatural elements, I have to remind myself they're not real people lest I get overinvested (and dream about them, haha).

My other love is @mercuryfoam 's Between 2 Worlds, which also makes me leave essay-like analysis comments on every chapter and has screenshots that make me weep.

That concludes my 'what Snuffy reads' Simlit sales pitch. Thanks for listening. :D
    Banner-2-with-filters.jpg
    Almost Eternal
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    Aww, you guys, where did this random lovefest come from? <3 That's made my morning - and the sun is shining and it's Friday, woop!

@SnowBnuuy There's no such thing as overthinking when BC is concerned. If you dig, you might just find something ;)
    @SnuffyBucket Might have to check out that last one sometime maybe!
    I’ve just finished the whole first act, so I’m into ToC far enough to have had my heart shattered into tiny pieces ;_; but in the best way!
    To be fair, as someone who doesn’t really get emotional reactions out of books, films etc- it’s really good to have that moment in a story where you really do get a gut feeling from it.

I actually re-read my two other main SimLits today, and I’m really surprised to have read it back and actually thought, ‘hey, this works, actually sounds half-decent and isn’t straight-up cringe’ because that is my usual reaction to re-reading my own work.

they/them or she/her
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    So much praise! 🙈 <3

@SnowBnuuy if you're the type to over-analyze, everything, you should definitely give @SnuffyBucket 's Almost Eternal a go. Everything has meaning, nothing is coincidental and it's the type of story where jaw-dropping events 20+ chapters in are foreshadowed all the way in the beginning. Can strongly recommend. 🤗

Ooooh, I know what you mean about reading your own work. It took me forever to go from "this is absolute rubbish" to "It's slightly rubbish" to "Okay, this is almost decent". I haven't read your other simlits, but Untamed so far has been great! I really like your writing style, it pulls me in right away 🥰
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    @_sims_Yimi I’m glad you like it < 3

Untamed the least dark out of all of my work, to be honest but it’s nice to write something different. Also doing these small challenges is a fun way to get the most out of all of my expansions.

I’m actually working on a prequel to one of my other SimLits at the moment, which focuses on the Discover University pack since only one of my characters canonically went to university. I’ve written a prologue I might upload as a sneak peek at some point, but for now I’m trying to get all these darn students graduated from the magic academy :p
    they/them or she/her
    I decided to put my challenge founder's house on the Gallery : 3
    they/them or she/her
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited April 2021
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »
    So much praise! 🙈 <3

@SnowBnuuy if you're the type to over-analyze, everything, you should definitely give @SnuffyBucket 's Almost Eternal a go. Everything has meaning, nothing is coincidental and it's the type of story where jaw-dropping events 20+ chapters in are foreshadowed all the way in the beginning. Can strongly recommend. 🤗

Ooooh, I know what you mean about reading your own work. It took me forever to go from "this is absolute rubbish" to "It's slightly rubbish" to "Okay, this is almost decent". I haven't read your other simlits, but Untamed so far has been great! I really like your writing style, it pulls me in right away 🥰

@_sims_Yimi Oof too relatable. Considering B2W is my first venture into writing as a hobby, I hesitate to reread my own story for fear I might just make a bonfire out of it all. At least it’s fun to see how your own writing evolves over time if one can get over the cringe. :lol:

@SnowBnuuy
    Agree with Yimi, @SnuffyBucket’s Almost Eternal is so packed full of little nuggets that I find something new with every chapter reread, so much so Snuffy has to suffer post vomits and weird wacky theories from me. If you like analysing details while laughing your head off, or roll around in bed in suffocating suspense, (because her characters are as relatable as Plumbob’s :astonished: ), you should totally give it a go! :)
    @mercuryfoam I'll add it to the list < 3
    I'm the same in that I like to build on the lore a lot, and I once gave someone a three-page-long word vomit on my ideas behind Sixam, aliens and their culture and history...when all they did is ask how I came up with the ideas XD I rarely ever give anyone a short response to anything. I probably write more in my SimLit comments than I ever did during my English Lang/Lit A levels...

I scrawled through a bunch of fan theories about the Realm of Magic and its Sages before I wrote Untamed, and I always love seeing the different portrayals of the same characters and everyone's headcanons, seeing whose ideas are similar to mine and whose are vert different. (My friend also had a funny idea of Morgyn being a really annoyingly strict teacher and so I rolled with it.) Coming up for stuff with Untamed was fun, because I didn't actually know there were predecessor Sages until I looked up stuff on the Wiki on the current Sages (my fault for being too lazy to watch trailers!) Practically all of my work has some kind of wild deep-dive into the Sims 'lore' somehow. It's fun coming up with the histories of people, places and other stuff. The most fun I've had doing that was when it came to writing about Sixam, aliens, and Strangerville.

The reason I prefer SimLit and being a DM for DnD, Pathfinder etc... to original writing is because I don't have to come up with everything. With Sims, the framework is already there, and all I have to do is build on it. The game itself tells half the story for me. And in DnD, all you have to do is provide the framework whilst the players guide the rest of the story for you : )
    they/them or she/her
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited April 2021
    Hey guys I need an idea for a sort of thing that both my fictional Queen of Heavens (my simself) and the heiress of Gen 9 to both do. Both the Queen of Heaven when she was alive, and the Heroines of Gen 9 and their 7 and 1/2 older sisters both end up in the "Enchanted" realm". (the idea is passed on both Peter Pan's (1953) and Mary Poppins(1964) movies where "it has happened before, and it will happen again" In both cases- the goddesses of the future Anneorine religion- give similar kind of test to both the the future Queen of Heaven and to the Gen 9 heiress. Once they pass in their respective timelines they (and their older sisters) are directed to the "Princess Academy" where the Heroines, (mostly princesses) are discussing about the fact they think that Villians from their stories are planning something. They ask the future Queen of Heaven/heroine to go undercover and in both cases the person in question does. (their sister playing their "princessy" counter part) They somehow put EQ's mirror out of commission and then somehow they live there for some time (unknown time) and yet somehow they're revealed for not being a villain. Which somehow leads to their sister being "taken" and that They have to lead a battle or something to storm the Villian's lair or something. Then they kind of give themselves up? But I'm not excatly sure how to give themselves up since if I do the apple/apple pie "Sleeping Curse" thing it wouldn't be good enough. Since I'm not sure if I want them to come back since what's good is being the Queen of Heaven if she's actually is in a sleeping curse?

But for the heiress she's also needs to give birth to the last generation of the story as well. So it would have to be a very strong Sleeping Curse that puts her out.
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top