Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    bella_goth wrote: »
    being allowed to cuss doesn't mean everyone will start cussing like a sailor
    there's nothing wrong in making use of those words every now & then
    My grandpa was actually a sailor and would cuss like one. My other grandpa used to cuss a lot too being in the army, but he grew up and changed his lifestyle and next time he broke his leg in a skiing accident. People do have free will. There was actually a psychological study showing how influenced people can be by other actions by one person walking backwards others will follow. EA does have their own TOS and they are there for a reason because even if Simmers are adults many use forums around their kids and grandkids, so do have to keep it safe for them. Forums are covered and owned by EA whereas 3rd party sites like Twitter and Facebook are not so Simmers can cuss in those spaces. They can here too. It is sad had someone repeat the same sentence to my twice using cussing and poor grammar, so could easily tell they just wanted to troll. But yes like mentioned above used as a reaction to physical pain and in my example reaction a sign of insecurity so emotional pain. I figure Twitter is the venting pot for all things negative. Forums at least we can have deeper discussions and share ideas and bugs we are experiencing. Each part of the community has its purpose. So no I don't want forums to turn into Twitter as unpopular as that may be. A forum is not a Tweet.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • msullivan789msullivan789 Posts: 16 Member
    I like Eliza Pancakes and was surprised to find out others didn't.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    I like Eliza Pancakes and was surprised to find out others didn't.

I like her too! And if having a save with premades I always change the family to the one with Iggy and they are having a nice family relations.

Mine unpopular opinion is - I think we have bloated socializing menu and so much chat options are not needed and excessive (especially 'cause for most of them sims react absolutely similarly).
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    This forum needs adult content section. No, I don't want to hear any arguments.

What would an "adult section" even involve? I feel like some things can definitely be changed to be less babyfied (like some of the words that get censored on here are ridiculous) but otherwise I don't think it really needs an adult section. If you mean giving people more freedom to discuss sensitive and/or political issues I feel like it's better left as it is as that stuff only brings fights and arguments

I figure they mean what counts as "adult language", as you noted, the words that are censored are beyond ridiculous, even acronyms get caught up in the algorithm. I even got called out by a person in power, for using one to vent my frustrations. Like many of the people who browse this forum are adults, I think they can handle an acronym or two. We're not babies, we don't need to be policed. :-/
    I actually find that more childish. I mean turning Sims forums into pretty much an 8 year old Fornite player. Any halfwit can cuss. Takes some intelligence and maturity to actually be more creative with languages.

I'm just saying most of us are adults, there's nothing wrong with being allowed to cuss. People who are offended by cussing are the immature ones imho, am Australian so I'm not offended by swearing one little bit.

I feel being an adult all the moreso you should be able to bridle your tongue and not cuss at every opportunity. Its immature to not have the self control to choose yours words thoughtfully. Children are ones who just let any words fly out their mouth. I remember a convo with a friend at school she tried telling a story but used so many cuss words as filler every two seconds...it was hard to actually understand what she what she was trying to say. Ive heard studies that say you start to lose vocabulary from so much cursing and studies that say otherwise. Either way i respect more people who can get their point across without cursing but we all obviously have a choice in the matter. Thats my unpopular opinion. (But still this censor is insane)

That is true, but sometimes a curse/cuss word is the only word you can use to describe a situation. That being said the censor/word filter is getting out of control, you wouldn't believe the words that are filtered by the gallery, I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out why I couldn't upload a family to the gallery, turns out all of the names (which were Japanese btw) got flagged by the word filter.
    Basically, any names that have the combination of f, u, k or s, u, k altogether (like a lot of Japanese names do) flags the system, because -gasp- it's alluding to the F-word, even though it's not. Even names they've put in the game themselves via pre-made (Vlad's name keeps getting flagged) and randomly generated sims are getting flagged (I like to give townies makeovers and save them to my gallery, that way I can use them later.) So many times I've had the "A Family/Sim Name or Description contains a disallowed word", heck even the description can sometimes get flagged for an innocuous random word that is in no way an innuendo or an acronym.

Like I get why it's there because we've all gone through that immature phase of hiding "naughty" words in names, just look at my cousin's old pokemon games for the proof (before that was also censored to heck and back). But at some point, perfectly sounding names getting flagged because the first few letters just so happen to contain letters that also can chain together to make a "naughty/bad" word gets beyond a joke and makes it super frustrating to try and figure out what the system is flagging as a "bad" word.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults

What would an "adult section" even involve? I feel like some things can definitely be changed to be less babyfied (like some of the words that get censored on here are ridiculous) but otherwise I don't think it really needs an adult section. If you mean giving people more freedom to discuss sensitive and/or political issues I feel like it's better left as it is as that stuff only brings fights and arguments

I figure they mean what counts as "adult language", as you noted, the words that are censored are beyond ridiculous, even acronyms get caught up in the algorithm. I even got called out by a person in power, for using one to vent my frustrations. Like many of the people who browse this forum are adults, I think they can handle an acronym or two. We're not babies, we don't need to be policed. :-/
    I actually find that more childish. I mean turning Sims forums into pretty much an 8 year old Fornite player. Any halfwit can cuss. Takes some intelligence and maturity to actually be more creative with languages.

I'm just saying most of us are adults, there's nothing wrong with being allowed to cuss. People who are offended by cussing are the immature ones imho, am Australian so I'm not offended by swearing one little bit.
    Majority of jobs would disagree with that at least here. Actually one of the don't dos: https://www.careeraddict.com/workplace-professionalism

I think you do bring up a good point on how people like to cuss in the purpose to offend and scare others. I notice it is often used as a fear reaction. Interesting how certain language does trigger others. Good example of that is when people treated the words sheep and hater like cuss words. People will find their own versions of cuss words even with censoring. I mean I am an adult who doesn't cuss but honestly has helped with working in business. Sure it would be easy to cuss people out asking for unemployment to pay for their everyday expenses, but it would end up angering them more than actually helping them. Might not be popular, but means stable work and I have a good group of friends who I haven't scared away at least who don't cuss too. Kind of nice to be able to talk about other things instead. Why I have to tune out what I call the "noise" to get to the real meat of bug reporting too to help people with that way as well. My instant reaction is just it becomes like the Peanuts speech and I tend to ignore people who do, that's all. Like same reaction as spam calls too. Sims actually can cuss and kind of neat to see the reaction of it with other Sims with Parenthood. One of the realistic reactions I like along with the teen walk.

Personally I would rather have zagadoo back for I disagree and plumbob back for the censors. The icons just look like Simmers are spamming emoticons.

You do have a good point, I've seen cussing and swears used as a way to intimidate, which is cowardly imho, I mean they're just words, not particularly threatening, but I can see how some people would find it quite scary in the context of certain situations. But I do agree, there is a time and a place to cuss, some places more than others. Personally, I only cuss to express a feeling, especially when there are just no other words but to say an F-bomb or sometimes worse (such as stubbing my toe or jamming my fingers in the door (both of which I have done recently and swore both times XP)
    I agree though, keeping a professional manner in the workplace is a given, especially when cursing is involved, especially in front of customers.

I would much rather have the words replaced with an approved filtered word, as I also think the emoticon spam just looks silly and a little cringe if I'm being honest.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults

You do have a good point, I've seen cussing and swears used as a way to intimidate, which is cowardly imho, I mean they're just words, not particularly threatening, but I can see how some people would find it quite scary in the context of certain situations. But I do agree, there is a time and a place to cuss, some places more than others. Personally, I only cuss to express a feeling, especially when there are just no other words but to say an F-bomb or sometimes worse (such as stubbing my toe or jamming my fingers in the door (both of which I have done recently and swore both times XP)
    I agree though, keeping a professional manner in the workplace is a given, especially when cursing is involved, especially in front of customers.

I would much rather have the words replaced with an approved filtered word, as I also think the emoticon spam just looks silly and a little cringe if I'm being honest.
    Yeah between religion and professionalism is why I don't personally choose to swear. I do agree the censor is a bit intense even for non-swear words. I just miss my plumbob censors. Then again I could just type plumbob. Looney Toons was quite creative with swears too. I think even the new Disney movie uses a swear alternative. I kind of liked how Disney was able to put adult humor into their movies in creative ways which I later caught up on as an adult.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member

What will that achieve? I will tell you what will that achieve. It will allow people who like adult content added to Sims games and make their own content involving adult themes to be actually welcome here. Otherwise these people are forced to either warp their opinions and war or try their luck elsewhere. These forums should be the FIRST place any simmer comes to, not last. Adult section would solve that problem. Don't like adult images, topics and mods? Don't go there. Chasing people off and pretending everything is sunshine is not a solution. All it does is making people resent mainstream Simmer community. And no, you won't convince me otherwise.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    This forum really confuses me. There’s a certain culture here wherein people who have issues with the game are policed into speaking at a certain level or with a certain tone as if anything below that cannot be considered of value or worth saying and being taken seriously because it doesn’t fit within the niceties of how people who praise the game speak.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »

100% agree.
    Better yet, create a separate Adult forum.

I think this is a great idea. I also think it would be a great idea to have more mature DLC separate from regular DLC so that people who want the more adult humor and shenanigans from past games, and are of age to purchase such content, can.
    #Team Occult
    I’m starting to wonder if the smaller packs, buggy ness, and cash grabs are because of a lack of money and ability with how things are setup
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited April 2021
    I think packs focusing on just one feature in order to "flesh it out" is not customer-friendly. Sure the features end up slightly more flesh out than in previous games but you pay a much much much bigger price. If you put into perspective everything that came with Island Paradise or Supernatural and it still cost 40$ but now paying 20$ for a feature that used to be one out of i don't know how many, you can see at least in my opinion that it's just not a great deal.

The wizards in the Sims 4 are barely more fleshed out and the features that make them superior compared to previous games are very watered down. You paid 40$ for 4-5 occults. Now pay 20$ for just one and we'll give you a very small amount of extra spells and new familiars that do nothing, just for you to rest assured that the gameplay is more "fleshed-out"

It's like these buy 2 for the price of 1 deals at the supermarket, which in case you didn't know always benefits the retailer more by creating the illusion of a "good deal"
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    Time spent slamming TS4 rather than offering constructive criticism could be spent playing TS3, etc.
    edited April 2021
    LiELF wrote: »

I'm not sure about everyone else, but in my case, when I refer to "mature" content being in the game, I'm talking about the kind of mature themes that existed in previous games. Like slow dancing and one Sim lowers their hands to the other Sim's bottom and either gets reciprocation or sternly denied. Or the "goose" interaction or real makeout sessions on the couch or bed. I also would consider the option to remove the blur censor because Sims only have Barbie Doll parts anyway. Or cage and cake dancers or just the sometimes crude adult humor that they used to have. I remember one of the producers saying that times have changed so they can't put some of that old stuff in the game anymore without changing the rating.

It's just weird to me that American society seems to be going backwards in maturity when it comes to what we can handle in a video game these days. Even slapstick humor like a heated comical slap for cheating or pointing an accusatory finger have been debated as abusive or too harsh.

So yeah, I'd love to have an "M" rated line of DLC to get those things back. Not excessive sexualization or violence.
    I don't think it needs an M rating to get that content back. I still view that content as teen rated. Sims 1 did have good dark humor and parties like that. I agree I would love to have things like that in the franchise again too. Sims 4 is highly missing that goofy side of the Sims. I mean yeah Sims 4 is M rated in places like Russia, but yeah think the Sims 4 plays it a bit safe in the E for everyone content wise so far compared to other games in the market. I do agree there is a fine balance with the rating. Doesn't need to be extreme in either direction. Just a nice teen compromise ground would be nice again.
    I'd love for the forum to acknowledge the seasoned players who have been around since Sims 2. It may not happen on the official level, but there's sites and communities elsewhere that do. The modding community is fairly in tune with what the user base wants / needs. There's been a few times where I'm annoyed by something in the game, search for it, and immediately find a mod to fix it. It may be easier on the nerves to communicate more with the people who make mods for things rather than only telling the official developers.
    @Scobre @StrawberryYogurt As I stated in the post, I think some of those things actually would change the rating, according to one of the devs/producers. I remember some years ago they said that they have to be more careful about what they put into the game these days because times have changed with the ratings board and how that type of stuff is received by the public, or something like that. I can't remember the exact wording, but I remember being quite disappointed when I read it. It was either in answer to a tweet or in an interview, or something. There was a time when Grant Rodiek used to answer a lot of tweets directly, so it could have been then.

Anyway, so, speaking only for myself, that's what I mean when I say "mature". If some of that old content was to bump up the rating, I'd like a completely separate string of DLC that's marked as such, to be able to put that crude humor back in the game. The way I see it, the Sims games allow the player to pick and choose what's in their game, so if there was a way to allow that kind of branch, (while still keeping away from any of the extreme stuff and leaving that to mods) I would personally support it. The T rating of today is apparently not the T rating of twenty years ago. People are a lot more sensitive now. I mean, I've seen some of the complaints myself about Vampires and Aliens and relating their activities to real life atrocities, despite them being completely fictional beings and creatures of myth and legend (and urban legend) and often, horror.
    #Team Occult
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2021
    @LiELF what im saying is none of the previous games have had mature / 18+, esrb rating in U.S and they were in the games.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    @LiELF what im saying is none of the previous games have had mature / 18+, esrb rating in U.S

True. And I'd much prefer it to be that way and still get the crude humor. I'm fine with the T rating in general. But if I could have the choice of getting some of those fun things back, even in one pack, and if it had to be rated M, I would still want it, is all I'm saying.
    #Team Occult
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    Bottom line is, the official forum for a game rated T for Teen is also going to be rated T for Teen to prevent all the legal entanglements that have been previously described. There are in fact other unofficial more adult TS4 forums out there, but they will remain just that unofficial and this forum will remain T for Teen.

This. I was once a 10 year old finding ways to access teen and mature rated content myself, but the official forums should reflect the game's rating. It's up to EA to follow its rating, and it's parents/guardians discretion whether their children can access mature content.

Forum censorship aside~

I do miss some of the raunchier aspects of past games. I think Sims 4 isn't too bad ("Apologize in bed"??? When I first got the Sims 4 when I was 11 or 12 I thought that was super wild, and I was well-exposed to Sims 2 woohoo cutscenes) BUT in other ways it's a little bit too tame. They've tried to strike a very... odd balance.
    LiELF wrote: »
    Scobre StrawberryYogurt As I stated in the post, I think some of those things actually would change the rating, according to one of the devs/producers. I remember some years ago they said that they have to be more careful about what they put into the game these days because times have changed with the ratings board and how that type of stuff is received by the public, or something like that. I can't remember the exact wording, but I remember being quite disappointed when I read it. It was either in answer to a tweet or in an interview, or something. There was a time when Grant Rodiek used to answer a lot of tweets directly, so it could have been then.

Anyway, so, speaking only for myself, that's what I mean when I say "mature". If some of that old content was to bump up the rating, I'd like a completely separate string of DLC that's marked as such, to be able to put that crude humor back in the game. The way I see it, the Sims games allow the player to pick and choose what's in their game, so if there was a way to allow that kind of branch, (while still keeping away from any of the extreme stuff and leaving that to mods) I would personally support it. The T rating of today is apparently not the T rating of twenty years ago. People are a lot more sensitive now. I mean, I've seen some of the complaints myself about Vampires and Aliens and relating their activities to real life atrocities, despite them being completely fictional beings and creatures of myth and legend (and urban legend) and often, horror.
    I don't think so. The devs and producers are far from angels themselves. I actually wouldn't mind if they brought back the Urbz and had a mature rating for that series for those that want it since those Sims I found much more mature looking anyways. I do think Sims teen rating has downwards while other games it has actually increased on what they allow. Personally like with Lara Croft which I used to love playing too, if the Sims does become games like Supple I'll probably move on to something else anyways.
    I do love how the game is rated T for Teen but has so little "teen" content, it feels like the game's rating has been lowered to PG or even G because it's so safe. Like, I'm not asking for anything overly raunchy or anything like WW, but something that doesn't feel like the players eyes aren't constantly being covered by an adults hands to shield players from "profanity"

Huh, I feel like I've made this confession before...oh well, I feel it's worth repeating.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    The T rating is mostly because of the references to sex and alcohol ("woohoo" and "juice"). Without those and other references to adult themes, the game probably could have an E or E-10 rating.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member
    @Onverser I logged in just so I could give you an "awesome" because I love Dine Out too! :smiley:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
    I do love how the game is rated T for Teen but has so little "teen" content, it feels like the game's rating has been lowered to PG or even G because it's so safe. Like, I'm not asking for anything overly raunchy or anything like WW, but something that doesn't feel like the players eyes aren't constantly being covered by an adults hands to shield players from "profanity"

Huh, I feel like I've made this confession before...oh well, I feel it's worth repeating.

I agree.
    #Team Occult

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top