Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »

@ Julyvee94: thank you! And @ BlackUndecimber is really on track to make a special kind of story. <3 I always forget a few stories and I really should have listed Vee is for Vortex especially after making a big deal about other people coming back. For next time!

You should hold your horses on that one lol who knows when I will disappear again
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @_sims_Yimi’s Tales of Camelot is a current favourite of mine, out of the new SimLits I’ve read (‘new’ in the sense that I’ve just started reading them). I want to find time to actually sit down and read the lot sometime, but it is so darn good in so many ways.

Also I’m surprised how many readers I’ve got in the month I’ve been here. Like for real X_X I wasn’t expecting to get so many comments.

Aw, thank you so much for the shout-out :blush: And Untamed is a lot of fun to read, of course it'll get comments! I already mentioned this on your thread but I love what you've done with the lore of the Magic Realm and its origins.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    @_sims_Yimi If I could reach I would give you a hug ;_; to you and all my other readers!
    they/them or she/her
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i had to spend the morning in the living area cause of a grocery order. here now.
    Managed to get another chapter of Untamed done.
    . Part Two Chapter One: Theodore, Leo, Willow
    they/them or she/her
  • capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    am making another storyline and family; i really need to stop doing this and start writing an actual story :D
    c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
    @capturethemagic Playing is the fun part, but sometimes writing makes me stressed out XC so I get you!
    they/them or she/her
    edited April 2021
    i like when the benders come up with the story. but i sometimes i think i can't write that.
    Post edited by friendsfan367 on
  • NewToTheSimsNewToTheSims Posts: 1,160 Member
    @NewToTheSims , hope you don't mind me posting my thoughts on the Seven Ridiculous Sins here. Chapter Two:
    I love Wrath, he's so disgruntled about everything and it's brilliant (and relatable) I love the humour in this story, I was laughing when Lust was gushing over his own pecs. Accidentally making copies of books on a low budget is the worst XC Seems like a pretty tough challenge in some ways but I'm enjoying it so far and I like that the characters are all enjoyable as well.

@SnowBnuuy - No, I don't mind, although it would also be fine for you to post a comment directly on the Wordpress. But either way, I don't mind, if I find a comment from you on the forum, I'll just copy it to the comment form on my blog with a note that says it's from you. :blush:

Now to reply to your comment.
    LOL, I guess it's not too clear is it? Wrath is the girl with the red spiky vest. Just thought I'd clear that up before you read more. Haha. I am so happy you like the characters. I know, right? I was like, 🐸🐸🐸🐸, those 🐸🐸🐸🐸 copies of books costing me money. Hahaha. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. ♥
    For me, when I write, I always write what I think I'd want to read. I also keep in mind that not everyone likes the same thing, and that's completely fine. If a character of mine says or does something unsavory, it's usually because I wrote them intentionally to be that way because whatever they did or said will eventually drive the story forward based on how the other characters respond to them. Something I will never do is rewrite something because a reader doesn't like it. I don't actually mind if a reader doesn't like certain characters, because usually if I write something that's "unlikeable," I know the reactions from most of the readers will be just that, which was the point. They're the conflict drivers, and necessary in my mind, for my stories to move forward. If everything's just happy and perfect all the time, I get bored writing it, and I would also get bored reading it. Also, just because a character does or says something does not mean I believe the same thing they do, and nor do readers have to believe or do what the character does either. They're a made up character and if readers get mad or yell at the character or want to throw the character off a roof out of frustration, it's totally fine with me. LOL. The only thing I don't like is if someone starts attacking me as a writer because that's just uncalled for.
    @NewToTheSims Yeah this is all good. I would only change something if, upon further research, I realise it is furthering harmful stereotypes or is an inaccurate portrayal of something important. Only other reason is if something just sounds bad in a writing sense, but I would never change something mimor just because one reader doesn’t like it.
    they/them or she/her
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Hi all, I have read everyone's comments regarding @DeafSimmer 's reboot. As I am the one that made the comment that made her feel it is necessary, I would like to apologise. I did not intend for you to feel the need to rewrite your entire story. I'm sorry.
    I would however like to clear up a few things about my comment:
    1. Not once did I mention femininity
    2. Not once did I suggest a reboot or changing anything from the existing chapters
    3. The only thing I suggested was adding a trigger warning to the start of the chapter
    4. I only pointed out things that made me uncomfortable and can perpetuate harmful ideas
    5. I can post what I commented if anyone would like to read
    Thank you.
    edited April 2021
    @BlackUndecimber My comments about femininity and ‘not letting others change my writing’ was in regards to DeafSimmer worrying about the portrayal of a female character, and in regards to NewToTheSims’s thoughts on not letting others change their writing. I’m responding to their individual concerns, concerning their own works. I wasn’t saying it in a way that implied that you said XYZ or anything like that. Suggesting a trigger warning or a change in portrayal is fine! That’s not a bad thing at all. I mentioned this in my response to NewToTheSims.

I already know that you didn’t say any of those things, I already know that you aren’t trying to force anyone to change anything, and I haven’t been here for long but I already know you are definitely not the person to push anyone to reboot anything. So you don’t need to worry : )
    they/them or she/her
  • capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2021
    question for you all: how would you go about inputting cliches into your stories, while still making them original? as in, putting in characters like the 'emo kid' stereotype and such - while still making sure they are rich, clever characters? did some research, wasn't very helpful. thanks all :]
    c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
    edited April 2021
    @capturethemagic - Sometimes just having a small thing that separates them from the stereotype can help, and also making sure they all still have fleshed-out personalities- fears, wants, goals etc. For example in my current story, there’s an ‘annoying jock teen’ kid but he rolled the Bookworm trait, so his bookishness and occasional wisdom comes as a surprise to other characters.
    they/them or she/her
  • JamesSims528JamesSims528 Posts: 151 Member
    @capturethemagic I think I agree with @SnowBnuuy . A little extra or different something added to the stereotype can help the readers focus more. It makes the character not just "the same thing as always", which can get boring sometimes, but the character has more depth and feeling.
    You could also portray them differently physically, instead of/as well as in their interests, hobbies etc. Sometimes in stories the stereotypical person looks exactly as the stereotype is usually portrayed, so doing something different in their appearance could help.
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Hi all, I have read everyone's comments regarding @DeafSimmer 's reboot. As I am the one that made the comment that made her feel it is necessary, I would like to apologise. I did not intend for you to feel the need to rewrite your entire story. I'm sorry.
    I would however like to clear up a few things about my comment:
    1. Not once did I mention femininity
    2. Not once did I suggest a reboot or changing anything from the existing chapters
    3. The only thing I suggested was adding a trigger warning to the start of the chapter
    4. I only pointed out things that made me uncomfortable and can perpetuate harmful ideas
    5. I can post what I commented if anyone would like to read
    Thank you.

@BlackUndecimber I actually never read the chapter or saw your comment but I am indeed very curious what it was all about
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    question for you all: how would you go about inputting cliches into your stories, while still making them original? as in, putting in characters like the 'emo kid' stereotype and such - while still making sure they are rich, clever characters? did some research, wasn't very helpful. thanks all :]

A stereotype is just a frame to hang the character off for me. It's how they talk that really sets them apart. What I try to do is give them a voice, a way of talking and contrast that with how everyone else speaks which I find develops the character. What happens when my square small town guy gets together with the super cool man of action? How do they interact? How do their conversations go? I know I've got a hold on a character once I've got their voice sorted. As I write a story set in a specific historical time period there are certain cliches, archetypes and popular images that should feature in my story...but I put them in the hands of the characters rather than have the cliche be the thing and the character secondary.
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Sorry to pester you again... Today's the day when Barbara has her meeting with the bank manager for a big, big loan....will she be laughed out of the place or will she Seal The Deal; chapter 94 of Sim 66.

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/

OMLHlXz.png
    i gotta work on the Benders Alana thinks F Stands for fabulous.

@capturethemagic: Nice question! I usually just use a cliche as a jumping off point. For example, if you have a character that is sort of an 'emo kid,' you could add other things to their character that aren't necessarily just emo. I also think stereotypes in general, are just how other people categorize someone, but most of the time, that's not how the individual sees themselves at all. At the end of the day all characters are human, so no one is going to fit into a nice neat little box. So the kid could like punk rock and wearing black, most of the time, but say then they also really enjoy watching romantic comedies sometimes as a guilty pleasure, things like that. Surprising little quirks that make them more human to readers, usually in what would seem a "contrasting" personality trait to what their stereotyped trait is.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    I took a walk just now and I got rained on.

good news: I'm going to get Taco Bell tomorrow for my brunch after my appointment
    6adMCGP.gif
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    @NewToTheSims , hope you don't mind me posting my thoughts on the Seven Ridiculous Sins here. Chapter Two:
    I love Wrath, he's so disgruntled about everything and it's brilliant (and relatable) I love the humour in this story, I was laughing when Lust was gushing over his own pecs. Accidentally making copies of books on a low budget is the worst XC Seems like a pretty tough challenge in some ways but I'm enjoying it so far and I like that the characters are all enjoyable as well.

@SnowBnuuy - No, I don't mind, although it would also be fine for you to post a comment directly on the Wordpress. But either way, I don't mind, if I find a comment from you on the forum, I'll just copy it to the comment form on my blog with a note that says it's from you. :blush:

Now to reply to your comment.
    LOL, I guess it's not too clear is it? Wrath is the girl with the red ❤️❤️❤️❤️ vest. Just thought I'd clear that up before you read more. Haha. I am so happy you like the characters. I know, right? I was like, ❤️❤️❤️❤️, those ❤️❤️❤️❤️ copies of books costing me money. Hahaha. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. ♥

I'm glad someone else is enjoying your story as well. :D
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Tried Taco Bell today after some work being done!
    6adMCGP.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top