Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    Downloaded my first pose packs and had my game crash and lost a couple of hours worth of play, so guess my computer doesn't like the pose packs...
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    @lilypadmeulin - I'm so sorry ;_; I absolutely hate when that happens. I have a few pose packs on TS3, but I usually only use them to take pictures of my Sims in different outfits and never really use any of the storytelling ones.
    they/them or she/her
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    @SnowBnuuy

Sadly my computer just did not want to play with the mods, so instead I have a couple of pictures and some hours of gameplay to catch up on. I'm repairing the game too, just to be safe, and will just have to rely on the old fashioned techniques for getting the screenshots I'm after. Sigh.
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    edited April 2021
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    If you reboot your story, do you go for the same plotline, or do you go for something a little different so it doesn't feel like the same story again?

I try not to reboot any stories I've written. Part of it is because I worry that if I do so, potential readers will get sick of reading the same story, and decide not to give the reboot the time of day afterwards. So, I may write sequels, prequels, midquels, and such, but not reboots.

Therefore, when I try to write something new, I almost always go with something completely brand new, rather than rebooting a past work. It's...a strange habit of mine. Oddly enough, I read reboots well enough (again, strange habit).

So, reading reboots, sure. Writing reboots, not so much.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    edited April 2021
    @NewToTheSims , hope you don't mind me posting my thoughts on the Seven Ridiculous Sins here. Chapter Two:
    I love Wrath, he's so disgruntled about everything and it's brilliant (and relatable) I love the humour in this story, I was laughing when Lust was gushing over his own pecs. Accidentally making copies of books on a low budget is the worst XC Seems like a pretty tough challenge in some ways but I'm enjoying it so far and I like that the characters are all enjoyable as well.
    they/them or she/her
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    If you reboot your story, do you go for the same plotline, or do you go for something a little different so it doesn't feel like the same story again?

I don't reboot, I do remasters or reimaginings of old works.
    A good example is a project I'm currently working on, a rework of my discontinued vampire/mermaid romance with new lead characters and a slightly flipped plotline. Chapter 1 is close to completion. :)
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Drafting the reboot proved harder than I thought, especially when it came to the main female character, Zelda. Part of me wanted her to be feminine, but I don't want to overuse the damsel trope. At the same time, I don't want it to make her the type of character to shun feminine things altogether.

Hi @DeafSimmer .

Personally to me Femininity does not equate weakness. Grace, humility, tenderness, supportiveness, empathy. When we breakdown femininity into its traditional traits, they're actually strengths. Don't worry about forcing yourself to write new age women, whatever that's supposed to mean. Write the kind of woman you want to write. Allowing all kinds of women (and man) to exist is what it should be. Let them all exist in your story. :)

About the damsel trope, you should write any kind of story you want and trope should not take precedence to the story you want to tell. A great writer once told me that writing is like scratching an itch. You have a story to tell, so tell it the way you want to. People try to fit femininity and stories into boxes and labels, but that's not your problem. That's theirs. Write the kind of story you want. To me a bigger tragedy is to change your story until you dont recognise nor enjoy your own story anymore.

P.s. - I didnt manage to catch your latest chapter so i dont know why you wanted to reboot the story, but fyi, I liked Eilownwy, Rosalinda, Wardon and Lucian just fine! I was actually really excited to find out how they'll deal
    with the siren and i was loving their difference and contrasting personalities. Feel free to change up or keep them the way they are. :)
    To me a bigger tragedy is to change your story until you dont recognise nor enjoy your own story anymore

Yes, this. This is what ruined one of my 'main' non-SimLit projects for me. There is also a scene in one of my SimLits I wish I could have done better, but I've chosen to leave it the way it is since if I keep changing it, I'll just end up wanting to re-do the lot.
    Personally to me Femininity does not equate weakness. Grace, humility, tenderness, supportiveness, empathy. When we breakdown femininity into its traditional traits, they're actually strengths.

Yes! This! Thank you thank you thank you.

they/them or she/her
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i don't think alana knew what feminity met til she met rylan. as a kid she was the instagator of many fights with her brothers.
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Drafting the reboot proved harder than I thought, especially when it came to the main female character, Zelda. Part of me wanted her to be feminine, but I don't want to overuse the damsel trope. At the same time, I don't want it to make her the type of character to shun feminine things altogether.

Hiya, I feel like I should explain myself a bit, as I think it was my comment that started off this reboot.

I do not believe femininity should be shunned- in fact, I am quite a feminine woman myself. It is the way in which assult victims were discussed by the characters which concerned me, as I thought it might perpetuate harmful stereotypes.
    As for the damsel trope, I don't believe it is a thing exclusively for feminine women, in fact, that would be one of the harmful stereotypes I am worried about- the idea that feminine women are 'weak' and easily fall victim.

I am sure you have your reasons for wanting to reboot your whole story, but if it is solely because of the last chapter, I don't think it's necessary. You can always change the writing of the next few chapters or retake the screenshots on a duplicate save without starting over. But if you think it's for the best, I will wholeheartedly support you.
    edited April 2021
    That said @BlackUndecimber, I had similar thing happen once with a story of mine. A reader at the time who is now a close friend, was honest with me about a scene on an alien ship where an alien explained the pollination process to an abducted human (in my version of the Sims universe, in the present day all aliens make it a choice for an abducted human). She wasn’t rude about it, she just said about how it sounded off.

She said the way I worded the alien’s dialogue sounded manipulative and forceful towards the human, instead of discussing the option- and when I read it I realised back she was right so I changed it up.

Critique or advice shouldn’t make someone feel they need to re-do the whole thing, in my opinion. Could always just change a few screenshots, rewrite some dialogue or just bear the advice in mind for future chapters.
    they/them or she/her
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    I have a question: I having Cora pretending to be her twin the heiress, Elizabeth. But in the chapter after the one I am in, I need a way to difference between the two twins since they look sort of alike (I had Cora grow out her hair after her crush who is Elizabeth's boyfriend rejected her). Any suggestions?
    6adMCGP.gif
    @MadameLee If she’s pretending to be the twin, then maybe something subtle like a piece of jewellery being different might work. Something subtle enough that the reader might tell the difference, but not necessarily the person/people she’s trying to deceive by pretending to be the twin.
    they/them or she/her
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    Happy Easter to those who celberate it
    6adMCGP.gif
    @MadameLee Happy Easter! :3
    they/them or she/her
    New Chapter Time for Untamed! This time it's an Interlude chapter < 3
    . Part Two Interlude: A Charm-ing Wedding
    they/them or she/her
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Just a little plug: finally got another sims story summary/promo session up, either I read your story and mentioned you or there's plenty of stuff to read! I really am hoping to get over these killer headaches though.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    @InfraGreen Interesting gathering of stories, I’m reading Britechester after Dark as well, love the noirish air to it and the screenshots. Read Chapter 1 of Blackwell Chronicles the other day, very intriguing opener...but I don’t have a huge deal of time to be reading lots of stories right now so it’s on my list!
    they/them or she/her
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited April 2021
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Just a little plug: finally got another sims story summary/promo session up, either I read your story and mentioned you or there's plenty of stuff to read! I really am hoping to get over these killer headaches though.

@InfraGreen Great stories you have there, some of which I have already read :) I'll make sure to check out the others! Britchester after Dark is definitely my favorite newcomer story @BlackUndecimber writes it in a really intriguing way!
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Sure would love to see more of you hopping into the challenge <3

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge: April 2021 Theme
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    edited April 2021
    @_sims_Yimi’s Tales of Camelot is a current favourite of mine, out of the new SimLits I’ve read (‘new’ in the sense that I’ve just started reading them). I want to find time to actually sit down and read the lot sometime, but it is so darn good in so many ways.

Also I’m surprised how many readers I’ve got in the month I’ve been here. Like for real X_X I wasn’t expecting to get so many comments.
    they/them or she/her
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    InfraGreen wrote: »

@ InfraGreen Great stories you have there, some of which I have already read :) I'll make sure to check out the others! Britchester after Dark is definitely my favorite newcomer story @BlackUndecimber writes it in a really intriguing way!

@Julyvee94: thank you! And @BlackUndecimber is really on track to make a special kind of story. <3 I always forget a few stories and I really should have listed Vee is for Vortex especially after making a big deal about other people coming back. For next time!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top