Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building the Apocalypse

I want to build a little bunker for the end of the world for my sim, Carys Keel. I've already settled on building a (possibly rooftop) garden and a decontamination shower but what else do you think I should add?

Also wondering how to get away from the generic-boxy-feel I tend to build so was hoping someone could give me pointers. Please leave a comment with your ideas and how to execute them, if you have the time/inclination!

I've destroyed everything on the island in Windenburg, because I thought it would be a good place to hole up for the end times. I'm planning on using the 64x64 lot on there as the main base for Carys (I'm going to have her run into a fellow survivor later on and then build a family so there'd have to be room to expand).

Carys is currently a teen and she's working on her gardening and fishing skills... so maybe I should add a pond? Or a pool for fitness, if I could make a semi-decent wild one. Then again, the bluffs are right there...

I'm terrible at building (I basically just build my real life house over and over with minor variations) so any input would be appreciated!

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    There are some bunker blueprints like this one:
    ASG-150X-BUNKERS-PIX-03.png

Hive bunkers are cool too:
    7af1056212335a3c9419844e63e7e7de.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • StrangerthanStrangerthan Posts: 345 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    There are some bunker blueprints like this one:
    ASG-150X-BUNKERS-PIX-03.png

Hive bunkers are cool too:
    7af1056212335a3c9419844e63e7e7de.jpg

Oh wow, that hive one is amazing! Thank you for your ideas!

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    What kind of apocalypse? Are you going for underground bunker or abandoned house/factory?

I've done something like this in TS3. What I would do is set up spawn points for supplies on some of the empty lots, places to get food and essentials, unless the air is toxic and you can't go outside. Need more info on the type.

As far as building goes, you can try to do what I did when I first learned to build. Start with a rectangle or square and make little extrusions. In reality, most houses and buildings are just a box, it's just how do you make a box look good. Look up some images of bunkers and see if you like anything and then use your imagination.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    What kind of apocalypse? Are you going for underground bunker or abandoned house/factory?

I've done something like this in TS3. What I would do is set up spawn points for supplies on some of the empty lots, places to get food and essentials, unless the air is toxic and you can't go outside. Need more info on the type.

As far as building goes, you can try to do what I did when I first learned to build. Start with a rectangle or square and make little extrusions. In reality, most houses and buildings are just a box, it's just how do you make a box look good. Look up some images of bunkers and see if you like anything and then use your imagination.

I was thinking a combo of disease and environmental issues for my apocalypse. Possibly even zombies- I like the idea of a fortified base.

I'd like to stay above ground- so the abandoned house idea is a useful one. If I scruffied up an existing house it might be easier to add stuff on.

You've given me something to think about, so thank you!
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited April 2021
    if you add zombies i would suggest some type of wall or dome or something to ward them off

or perhaps whole levitating building would help should your sims be magically inclined... :sunglasses: ... well that is until someone brings in them weapons and shoots you down i guess
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    If you really want a brutal post-apocalyptic world, here are three words: Sharing is Caring.

Simmingal wrote: »
    if you add zombies i would suggest some type of wall or dome or something to ward them off

or perhaps whole levitating building would help should your sims be magically inclined... :sunglasses: ... well that is until someone brings in them weapons and shoots you down i guess

I'm leaning towards that fence with the barbed wire! I could take a leaf out of World War Z and have houses on stilts...
    If you really want a brutal post-apocalyptic world, here are three words: Sharing is Caring.

Now that's something I hadn't thought about! Brilliant idea!
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited April 2021

I was thinking a combo of disease and environmental issues for my apocalypse. Possibly even zombies- I like the idea of a fortified base.

I'd like to stay above ground- so the abandoned house idea is a useful one. If I scruffied up an existing house it might be easier to add stuff on.

I don't know how you are planning on playing or if you are using challenge rules, but I do like the ideas you've been given and come up with.

When I play this way, I usually like to start with a regular house or a grocery store or something that my sim(s) have taken over. That way they have some supplies, but nothing that can prevent attacks. Then over time they have to fortify their living spaces as they gather supplies. It also takes time to remove doors and cover windows so I don't start them in a place that's built up already, they have to earn points or something in order to make any changes. Stuff like that.

Oh...there's this cool mod I once had that had real zombies and weapons. That was so fun to play! I think I may have some pics that I'll post if I can find them. I'll see if I can find the name of the mod, too.

**If you search TS4 zombies it's the first link that says Sacrificial mods. It's super awesome and adds so much to these apocalypse playthroughs. Unfortunately, I think I deleted the pics I took.

I don't know how you are planning on playing or if you are using challenge rules, but I do like the ideas you've been given and come up with.

When I play this way, I usually like to start with a regular house or a grocery store or something that my sim(s) have taken over. That way they have some supplies, but nothing that can prevent attacks. Then over time they have to fortify their living spaces as they gather supplies. It also takes time to remove doors and cover windows so I don't start them in a place that's built up already, they have to earn points or something in order to make any changes. Stuff like that.

Oh...there's this cool mod I once had that had real zombies and weapons. That was so fun to play! I think I may have some pics that I'll post if I can find them. I'll see if I can find the name of the mod, too.

**If you search TS4 zombies it's the first link that says Sacrificial mods. It's super awesome and adds so much to these apocalypse playthroughs. Unfortunately, I think I deleted the pics I took.

Very well thought out! I'm really just doing it as a story driven thing? Like not a challenge specifically. But I love the ideas you've suggested! And I found the mod you mentioned- it's brilliant! Thank you so much!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited April 2021
    When strangerville was released there were a lot of builders who built pretty some cool looking shelters, I played with the zombie apocalypse mod from sacrifical when I played that pack myself, I did not really build shelters but I downloaded some military cc and rebuilt some lots with it so it looked more like Strangerville had some zombie problems.

26ZzqD4.jpg

Also, if you play with the zombie apocalypse mod, make sure to save often, sims can expire pretty quickly if an outbreak occurs...
    logion wrote: »
    When strangerville was released there were a lot of builders who built pretty some cool looking shelters, I played with the zombie apocalypse mod from sacrifical when I played that pack myself, I did not really build shelters but I downloaded some military cc and rebuilt some lots with it so it looked more like Strangerville had some zombie problems.

26ZzqD4.jpg

Also, if you play with the zombie apocalypse mod, make sure to save often, sims can expire pretty quickly if an outbreak occurs...

I'll be sure to check the gallery! And thank you for the tip!