Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    @lilypadmeulin I want to have a look at one of your stories, but notice you have quite a few! I was wondering, is there one in particular that is your favourite or that you might want me to have a look at?
    they/them or she/her
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    @SnowBnuuy

I think that Daughters of Hesperia is probably my most 'story' type, so you'd probably be best off looking at that! It's got its own tag, and is based off the Amazon Challenge, though no Sims were harmed in the making.
    @lilypadmeulin Awesome, I’ll take a look later or tomorrow < 3
    they/them or she/her
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Anyone up for some short stories? All so fab! Got some great offerings from seasoned vets BUT so excited to have many novices in this month .. it is always fun to see new scribblers bringing us a tale! Get a nice cup of tea and enjoy!
    Link - Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge
    (Watch for the theme posting in a day or so)
    PJO86f1.jpg

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    You know, I must try that one day.

Anyway, I've been ill with a nasty cold this week so output has been lower for me. But....exciting news (for me at least)...I have a new chapter of Sim 66 featuring George and Edna Sneedley: Sim City's resident moral busybodies. What are they up to? I want to give a shout out to @phantasmkiss for designing the Sneedley's mid-century home in all it's earth tone and beige glory. All the people who've designed lots for Sim 66...such as this and the Orange Peel club...have really added to the period feel. And there's more groovy pads to come in future chapters!

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/

BNGy28m.png
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Good question...I have rebooted a story once before: I used it as an opportunity to change the aesthetic as more CC became available. As my stories are gameplay driven inevitably the plots change but I try to keep the original characters as they were in the first version.
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    Also, I have a question: If you reboot your story, do you go for the same plotline, or do you go for something a little different so it doesn't feel like the same story again?

I guess that depends on your reason for restarting, I'd imagine. Is it because you wish you'd done something differently? Changed a variable? Spent more time on the characters? Usually there's something that you probably want to do slightly differently, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to reboot in the first place.

Technically my story was originally based on my first playthrough of Discover University, weirdly enough, so while not exactly a story reboot, it's along those lines. I kept the same initial concept (orphan girl followed by sprites who winds up in the magic realm to try to find a solution for her curse), but the main reason I started over was because I wanted to give everyone a proper backstory. Which of course had an effect on the story plot longterm.
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    How's everyone?

Also, I have a question: If you reboot your story, do you go for the same plotline, or do you go for something a little different so it doesn't feel like the same story again?

I go for something different, but I do like keeping the best bits of the plot. It's a good way to see what did and didn't work out from before, and it's something I've done with Daughters of Hesperia. Adding Anikka to the mix was the best thing I could have done!
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    How's everyone?

@DeafSimmer: am in the middle of rebooting a story too, and I originally told myself that the plot wouldn't change, only some characters. But characters are the skeleton that plot hangs off of so of course the plot changed for Uptown and by a lot (and for the better I hope!) You don't have to change anything but it's probably healthy to be open to it.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    To be honest, my experience with trying to reboot my own work has been completely futile. I have a non-SimLit story I've been rewriting time and time again since I was 14/15, and it's gotten to the point where I've tried to change it so much that I don't even know what it is anymore. Now it's just a mess of loose ideas I'll probably never gather together. As for SimLit, I did try some 'alternate universe' stuff with a darker take on an existing character, but I don't know if it really worked. I also wanted to re-write a scene in one of my other SimLits because I had a better idea later, but I didn't want to 'retcon' anything.

I'd say for a reboot, it's worth somehow making it different story-wise even if it's only a small thing. Might be worth noting down what you felt worked in the original, and what you feel could be changed, but just be wary not to end up in a 'reboot loop' the same way I did XC
    they/them or she/her
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,377 Member
    How's everyone?

My current story is a reboot after the original story is deleted.
    My plotline is pretty much the same, but I have discarded most of my old photos due to their poor quality and take new photos for the story. Nothing is becoming exactly as before and I am also exploring the new ideas that arise along the way.
    I think I'm getting more and more away from my original story, but it's definitely fun to play with the familiar Sims three years later.
    It does not have to be boring.

I'm getting a little curious ... What's the reason you want to resboot your story?
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    Anyone up for some short stories? All so fab! Got some great offerings from seasoned vets BUT so excited to have many novices in this month .. it is always fun to see new scribblers bringing us a tale! Get a nice cup of tea and enjoy!
    Link - Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge
    (Watch for the theme posting in a day or so)

@lisabee2 Hi Lisabee :) Good to see this is still going on! I always thought the challenge was very fun though I'm not sure I'm ready yet to participate again. I'll read all the entries though!

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i keep some of the stuff /i change certain things. the benders after so many years tell me what they will and won't do spme of it has shocked me.
    edited April 2021
    @friendsfan367 I feel this! Sometimes it feels like the characters just write (or also in our case play) themselves.
    ———————————-
    On an unrelated general note, didn’t want to make a separate comment since it seemed unecessary- I bought Discover University on sale! I might try to find a University based challenge, since I’m tempted to make a prequel story for the only one of the characters in my SimLit who actually canonically went to uni. Should probably finish Untamed first though.
    they/them or she/her
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited April 2021
    @DeafSimmer I don't really understand why you have to cancel the whole story just because you feel like one chapter didn't go over well. Couldn't you just re-write the chapter? I mean it would be really sad to see you just throw away all your work.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @friendsfan367 I feel this! Sometimes it feels like the characters just write (or also in our case play) themselves.
    ———————————-
    On an unrelated general note, didn’t want to make a separate comment since it seemed unecessary- I bought Discover University on sale! I might try to find a University based challenge, since I’m tempted to make a prequel story for the only one of the characters in my SimLit who actually canonically went to uni. Should probably finish Untamed first though.

i;m going to send the benders to college. yeah they kept taking over so somewhere along the way i lost control and gave up.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Odd request for "the community" but if anyone wants to give @Brennachan something nice to come back to: her husband had a stroke and the prognosis is not good. I left her a tweet but I figure people not on Twitter can send her a PM with support. I've never played with the Murkland lore but I love some of the stories and builds that come out of it.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    @InfraGreen - That’s awful to hear... I hope they will be as okay as they can be right now.
    they/them or she/her
    @DeafSimmer There is no ‘right’ way to write a female character, something will always be ‘wrong’ in someone’s eyes (and I say this as a woman) but here are my thoughts:

(Mini rant time...) For me the best kind of female characters aren’t the super-stoic, not-feminine-at-all ones who never need help, ever. I really do not like this limited idea of the ‘strong female character’...Some people push this idea that a woman needing help or being feminine is ‘weak’ and I can’t stand it. Society already pushes this idea on men; the last thing we need to do is have that pushed on us too. (Mini rant over)

Zelda is good because sometimes she needs help, sometimes she knows what she wants and how to get it. She also is willing to stand up for herself if necessary (like when she did against M) so the ‘damsel’ trope isn’t overused.

My favourite portrayals of female characters are the ones who are allowed to have emotions, and be feminine, and be strong, at the same time. Sometimes she may get herself in a sticky situation and may need help out of it, but when necessary she knows what she wants and how to get it.
    they/them or she/her
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,752 Member
    Jumping in because the topic is interesting. :blush:

The damsel trope is often used with female or "weak" characters, but you don’t have to be weak to be feminine. A character can be incredibly strong and capable, and still act with very traditionally “feminine” traits. It works the other way around, too. You can be incredibly masculine and still need help (though that isn't shown very often, because masculine = strong is still how most people think).

There’s nothing wrong with the damsel trope in and of itself, too. When it starts grinding people’s gears (in my experience) is when it’s used over and over for (usually male) character motivation. The main character’s partner/sister/mother/daughter is in danger or needs help, so the main character needs to step in. She needs help and can’t solve a problem by herself, so the main character steps in. She gets kidnapped and needs to be rescued. She gets attacked and needs to be protected. If the “role” of a damsel in distress is mostly to act as character motivation for someone else, without focusing on the character herself, it’s not a very good look.

But the damsel trope itself can be very interesting to explore. Lots of stories start with a weak “underdog” who cannot protect themselves and has to slowly grow and become capable. Both male and female. Others focus on the aftermath of a damsel being put in a damsel-in-distress situation. You can even turn it on its head, by having a “damsel” that is weaker than the others on purpose and needs to outwit or outsmart enemies.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • NewToTheSimsNewToTheSims Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited April 2021
    How's everyone?

@DeafSimmer: Doing some RL stuff today, but thought I'd pop in here and leave a message cause I have some time.
    The only time I've rebooted a story, it was a 100 baby challenge, and I believe I changed the plotline to something more realistic. The first time I did it, it was because there was a different source for why the woman started the baby challenge. I also wanted to write more in depth as far as the characters' feelings and thoughts went. I was learning a lot about my own writing style when I wrote that story, so the reboot was a way for me to improve my writing style.
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @DeafSimmer My favourite portrayals of female characters are the ones who are allowed to have emotions, and be feminine, and be strong, at the same time. Sometimes she may get herself in a sticky situation and may need help out of it, but when necessary she knows what she wants and how to get it.

@SnowBnuuy - I agree completely! :smile: Emotions, femininity, and strength are human characteristics, so it makes perfect sense for a woman to feel all of those things. I think I just like portrayals of real humans, LOL, no matter if they're men or women. XD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top