Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feedback on food/drink time reduction update

SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
edited March 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
The amount of time a sim takes to eat food feels perfect now, but drinks get gulped down in just one sip. Could this please be set to 2~3 sips instead? As it is now I can't really get screenshots of my sims having a chat over coffee 'cuz the moment they buy their coffee and take that first sip before they sit down, it's gone. Same thing for bar dates.

Comments

• talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    I agree that the drinks seem to be consumed a little too quickly. I think the eating is also a little fast, especially if your Sim is on a date, but I don't mind it since my Sims can go to work or school a little more quickly now. I would like it if they allowed the eating and drinking to be a little slower in the future during dates and other social events where your Sims are interacting with other Sims. I think it would make a little more sense this way since people do usually take longer to eat when they are talking or doing other things while eating.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Honestly, kind of glad drinks are shorter. My sims were ridiculous with constantly porting around glasses of water and leaving them places.

I do think it was weird they reduced the bites instead of making the animation faster with food. I am still on the bandwagon that I'd be very happy if they just ate instead of playing around with their food, as I would have been accused of if I had copied them as a child. All in all, glad it doesn't take as long.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I'm fine with the times now. I'm not much into details, specially concerning normal everyday stuff...
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I hate it. I'm so very sad about it. It ruined dine out as well as my long family dinners I enjoyed planning all the time😢😢😢 I just want it to be optional!! Why can't we just have an option to eat normal speed if we want to so the player who want to enjoy the delicious recipes they bring every pack can do so? And 2 sips of water?!!!! This is madness😭😭😭😭 all of the nerfing such as the huge crowds and fan love 5star celebrities would get
    really upset me but this is one of the worst. Now you're literally taking away BASIC features😭😭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    I like it. If you want them to eat for a longer period of time, make them do something simultaneously while eating, like conversating or watching TV.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    edited April 2021
    I hate it. I'm so very sad about it. It ruined dine out as well as my long family dinners I enjoyed planning all the time😢😢😢 I just want it to be optional!! Why can't we just have an option to eat normal speed if we want to so the player who want to enjoy the delicious recipes they bring every pack can do so? And 2 sips of water?!!!! This is madness😭😭😭😭 all of the nerfing such as the huge crowds and fan love 5star celebrities would get
    really upset me but this is one of the worst. Now you're literally taking away BASIC features😭😭
    I agree, it should at least be at the original speed for events. Dates using dine out are so hard to do now. There are three goals that want you to socialize about food, the options only show while eating, making it super hard to do (it takes all day to order multiple courses too).
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member

I 100% agree.
    I personally believe it should be tuned back to the way it was. We should be given an option for Sims to eat faster instead. Sims should take their time eating dinner, unless they’re going to be late. We don’t all have to stuff our food into our faces just because there’s something else that needs to be done. Give the option: “Finish meal” - just like we’ve been given the option: “Send home” if something needs to be rushed.

Rushing through things should not be the default in a life simulator. We already have the double speed buttons.

I understand it was implemented because Sims couldn’t get their needs up before going to work, but this is not the way.
    Nerfing and using this constant general tuning takes away from a life simulator that should have more variations in how Sims perform actions, even when doing the most mundane things.

I feel that more thought needs to be put into this to make having meals more meaningful (meal-ingful? ) again.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    I finally updated my game and I like it, I have always thought that it took too long for them to finish eating their food, and it doesn't seem to ruin neither family dinners or restaurants for me, my sims tend to sit and talk even if they finish their food.

Maybe I have some mods that helps with that like bienchens less auto hugging and greeting which makes sims not get up from their chairs.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member

I 100% agree.
    I personally believe it should be tuned back to the way it was. We should be given an option for Sims to eat faster instead. Sims should take their time eating dinner, unless they’re going to be late. We don’t all have to stuff our food into our faces just because there’s something else that needs to be done. Give the option: “Finish meal” - just like we’ve been given the option: “Send home” if something needs to be rushed.

Rushing through things should not be the default in a life simulator. We already have the double speed buttons.

I understand it was implemented because Sims couldn’t get their needs up before going to work, but this is not the way.
    Nerfing and using this constant general tuning takes away from a life simulator that should have more variations in how Sims perform actions, even when doing the most mundane things.

I feel that more thought needs to be put into this to make having meals more meaningful (meal-ingful? ) again.
    Exactly! They should have just added it for breakfast, or have a faster option that shows up in the fridge menu (kind of thought that was the point of quick meals & leftovers). Another thought I had was a “grab meal to go” option, it could just fill their hunger while they “travel” to work. Honestly I never saw a problem, since they will just fill their hunger at some point during the work day anyway.
    This has inspired me to look into modding. Even though I never touched mod making before today😅
    I've been studying all day.
    I am currently updating a retired mod by coolspear1 that makes sims take 16bites before finishing food. I am adding all of the new recipes that was left out from the old mod and I'm going to add all of the drinks next.
    I tested The mod before i started messing with it and it seemed to work fine but only for old food.
    So I'm feeling pretty confident about this. I changed the "consumption turns" in XLM files to 16. EA currently has it set to 3😑
    Then i will test it out with fingers crossed 🤞🤞
    Just wanted to say it worked. I have my long eating and drinking back. I'm very proud of myself because am not very smart😅 either way I'm super happy now🙂
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,862 Member
    edited April 2021
    Just wanted to say it worked. I have my long eating and drinking back. I'm very proud of myself because am not very smart😅 either way I'm super happy now🙂

Hey! nice! :) Good that it worked!! <3
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

This saddens me so much. Dine Out is one of my favorite packs of all time. This really makes me never want to pick up playing TS4 again. First it was my Vampires which I felt was the best in the series, and now DO. I really enjoyed that pack but over time it kept getting bugged and more bugged. I felt it was almost perfect once a person understood what it was about and it was about dining, which does take a long time in real life if you aren't just trying to go through some motions. The more they change this game just to be a grind fest the more I dislike it. I'm probably never coming back to this game because they keep nerfing the things I actually liked about it. :'(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited April 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »

This saddens me so much. Dine Out is one of my favorite packs of all time. This really makes me never want to pick up playing TS4 again. First it was my Vampires which I felt was the best in the series, and now DO. I really enjoyed that pack but over time it kept getting bugged and more bugged. I felt it was almost perfect once a person understood what it was about and it was about dining, which does take a long time in real life if you aren't just trying to go through some motions. The more they change this game just to be a grind fest the more I dislike it. I'm probably never coming back to this game because they keep nerfing the things I actually liked about it. :'(

Yea I just can't see having a literal entire pack centered around RESTAURANTS (that I use all the time) with tons of dishes that they only finish in TWO bites. It's just totally unacceptable to me...
    Now I understand the whole situation with people wanting faster eating and thats fine. But I hate that when they nerf something they don't leave any options for the people who enjoy it. Seems really unfair😖😖 I'll never stop crying about celebrities. Shame I don't know how to tune that one... it literally felt the sim was a true 5 star celebrity and the experience was very fun and exciting. Also easily avoidable for days when you didn't want the attention. Now I barely play with celebrities because they feel too much like any other sim. With a fan popping up here and there. Before the nerf I had stalkers in my house, paparazzi on my roof, a guard dog chasing them around and fans falling at my feet 😂😂😂 it was so fun...
    Good times....good times....🤤😭

And the last time I was trying to get my celebrity a quirk without cheating by repeatedly interacting with fans and paparazzi. Well... I never got it because there just wasn't enough of them. I spent all night searching for some and trying to interact before I gave up...
    And then people complain ts4 is boring yet they literally beg for anything of excitement or added conflict to be nerfed I- 😑
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I haven't actually played much since the update yet, so I don't have an opinion on whether the eating and drinking is too fast or not. But I defintely agree that there should be options of some sort whether you want a fast meal or long meal. Or that the fast eating like it is now, should have been limited to the "quick meal" or "leftovers" option as someone in this thread has mentioned.

I'm not a family player myself so it's not something I personally would miss, but I feel bad for those of you who did look forward to hosting those long family meals. Plus, so many people complain that the game is too "unrealistic" and use that as their excuse for hating more fantasy based gameplay. And yet they're okay with their Sims finishing meals in 3 bites? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Like, I would think that's more immersion breaking and unrealistic than some of the other things people complain about. When I was still in school, I didn't cook scrambled eggs and bacon for my breakfast. I didn't have the time to have a "hearty" breakfast like that. (Unless I wanted to get up even earlier than I already did of course.) I ate things like a granola bar, a bowl of cereal or a microwavable breakfast sandwich. Because that's what I had time for. Those are simple "meals" that can be finished in about five minutes, maybe ten maximum. It would make sense for cereal or the breakfast burritos Sims can eat from the Quick Meal menu to be finished in time before school or work. But not for pancakes or a spaghetti dinner. Realistically, most people are going to grab something quick before school or work to eat, they're probably not going to have a whole meal in whatever time they have left before they have to leave. That kind of stuff is reserved for a weekend family breakfast.

I'm even okay with things like a café pastry taking only a few bites to finish, because again, in reality, it doesn't take that long to eat typically. But the home cooked or grand meals... they should take awhile to finish. Or at least that's what I think.
    And then people complain ts4 is boring yet they literally beg for anything of excitement or added conflict to be nerfed I- 😑
    Exactly though, like one minute they're all,
    "(insert main feature of the pack) is so intrusive, I can't get anything done. Do you think you can turn it down @ thesims?"

And then in the next breath,
    "Sims 4 is so boring. There's no challenge, we need more (insert feature here.)"

I can get why people complain about Sims 4 being a glorified dollhouse, because it basically is. All the fun/cool/unique features are toned down to pretty much non-existence, or you have jump through hoops and a whole obstacle course to make something out of the ordinary happen. It especially makes me mad what happened with vampires, and spellcasters. The latter practically came pre-nerfed thanks to the occult haters who bought VAMPIRES because they wanted the furniture and clothing and then complained about vampires ruining their game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sims 4 and I defintely think it's been improving. But like so many of the people who complain that the game is boring are the same ones that complain about whenever we get something more quirky or fun and want it toned down to suit their needs. It's like the only gameplay they want is chores stuff, like laundry and vacuuming, and anything that's not that is too "intrusive."
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 435 Member
    Maybe Fast Eater and Fast Drinker could have been Satisfaction Points reward traits?
    It's like Maxis failed to understand a complaint, My complaints were always about the so called multitasking while eating at home. They spent too much time staring at the wall decor than they did eating. Because dear Maxis, it's not multitasking if you stop chewing to look at wall decor. This took way too much time, however, dining out is expected to take longer to chew and converse with the guest the Sim brought to a restaurant. So the player could build relationship with the other Sim and enjoy a meal, dessert and drinks and several courses if they wanted to do that. The problems to me were never the actual dining out but now it's back to let's hurry and get through this life thing and get back to tasking and grindfesting to reach a goal. Shorting some things to just go through motions is not gameplay and some of us don't play a life simulator to just rush through things with hardly any simulation just to grind fest the next chore.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    I think it's way better now. When sims multitask the time they take to eat is way more reasonable. They no longer take 3 hours to eat a single plate. Just wish their hunger would go down quicker, they only have to eat a meal a day...sometimes two.

I've just experimented with Dine Out, had 2 sims go on a date to a restaurant and the time is perfectly fine. Sims chatted, ate, talked about the food while at it and payed their meal.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TruthGamer96TruthGamer96 Posts: 123 Member
    I like it for the most part, though if I'm planning a sitdown meal I have to make sure to set the table and have everyone in the room before I call to meal, otherwise half the family's finished before the other half even makes it downstairs.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. When eating out at restaurants, it's great. But, for families at home trying to sit down together for a meal, not so great. I usually only control one Sim when I'm playing with a family. Now, if you put a toddler in the high chair, their food is eaten in a blink of an eye while everyone else is still walking to the table.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I'm neutral to it, myself. It wasn't the eating that was really an issue for me so much as food preparation time (haven't checked since the update, but the one time I did it was almost an hour and a half to make Chicken Stir Fry. A meal I can make IRL in about 30 minutes) and shower/toilet times. And the time it actually takes for the sims to get from their bedrooms to the refrigerator to the table - even in an efficiently laid out house (which admittedly I don't always play in.)

So if they returned eating speed to what it was before, I probably wouldn't mind, but at the same time, it has meant that a dinner out doesn't require starting at noon. (I'm being hyperbolic, just to be clear.)
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I love the new speed; It's perfect for me. I think I'd be pretty upset if they went back to the old speed, which I hated with a burning passion.

Now, I no longer have to scream at my computer screen, "Eat faster! Stop staring at nothing and just chew your food! You're going to be late for work!!" Even with faster eating and drinking mods, I always felt like it was still too slow. My sims can now wake up at a reasonable time and get in their shower and breakfast before work/school.

I play with families, and I don't have any issues with them eating too quickly. I have lots of family dinners and they eat and chat with each other at the dinner table at a reasonable speed.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I like it tbh. Especially when my sims are going out to eat, they spend more time away from their table instead of sitting the heck down. And my families never manage to sit at the table together. If sims want to waste time looking at nothing, talking at nothing and deciding to eat in the 2nd floor toilet, well fine. They can have 5 minutes to eat so that they have more time to be obnoxious.
    I love the new speed; It's perfect for me. I think I'd be pretty upset if they went back to the old speed, which I hated with a burning passion.

Now, I no longer have to scream at my computer screen, "Eat faster! Stop staring at nothing and just chew your food! You're going to be late for work!!" Even with faster eating and drinking mods, I always felt like it was still too slow. My sims can now wake up at a reasonable time and get in their shower and breakfast before work/school.

I play with families, and I don't have any issues with them eating too quickly. I have lots of family dinners and they eat and chat with each other at the dinner table at a reasonable speed.

It might depend on the house they live in. If Sims live in a three story home, it might make sense to maybe have a way to get them all to the table before half of them are already finished and gone.