Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would you feel if we had more story driven packs?

Comments

• SimsFourFun93SimsFourFun93 Posts: 12 New Member
    yes id love a finding things pack - like mystery case files. id love to play that on my youtube
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited March 2021
    I wouldn't mind if it was a story line I liked or one that I could be interested in and actually understand. Strangerville does not interest me in the least. I'm not into sci-fi stuff abut I do own the pack and I like the world but have never had a sim live there or played the story line. Just like Batuu, not interested in any way, shape, or form (that pack I passed on because even the BB/CAS was not my taste)
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Definitely sounds liek a better idea than Journey to Batuu. Strangerville was fine for what it did. More would be nice.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited March 2021
    I feel like there is a lot of been there done that with packs like that. I mean Batuu was hated because of that. I rather have better tools than more boring and grindy storylines. Aspirations and challenges should be enough for story. Plus not like the pre-made stories in the Sims 4 are that interesting anyways. I rather have Sim bios and better storytelling features in the game instead. The whole picture taking in the game is an unorganized mess. I would love an active school system however and more work from home jobs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I actually like the idea of story-driven packs, or at least some story to give my sims something to work through. But if they make another story pack, it really needs to be strong: lots of story choices an ways to play; alternate story paths or endings; unique gameplay; strong characters; a lot of replayability. Sims 4 has a serious problem with replayability and keeping things fresh, so a story pack would naturally go against that unless they pull a Skyrim or something and have a ridiculous amount of freedom and variation.

Unfortunately, I don't think Sims 4 can pull it off. Look at StrangerVille: we had no set NPCs, just roles assigned to random sims. With StrangerVille and JtB, they couldn't weave good narratives and unique gameplay into what we already have with TS4. That's why I think we need stuff like World Adventure and Jungle Adventure: you have a simple premise and let your sims work through randomly-generated scenarios that work with establish gameplay, while the story largely exists in your head.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Story packs are horrible Strangerville is a great example of that I was so bored of it long before I finished my first and only playthrough I really would not have completed it if I did not know the world would return to normal when done so boring.

To me Sims has always been a sandbox game all content should be for players to make their own stories and tools to do that.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    It all depends on how the story is implemented, how well the pack integrates with the game and if it is useful after the story is completed.

If it is done like strangerville, sure why not. I liked playing the story. I deliberately took my time to enjoy it instead of rushing through it as quickly as I could. I like the world that comes with the pack and it is useful for sandbox style gameplay. Same goes for the military career. Two aspects of this pack could do with some improvement. First allow players to skip the story entirely, let people switch it off without first having to play through it. Secondly allow a few different endings.

If it is done like journey to Batuu, I am not that enthusiastic. I liked playing the batuu pack but once the story is completed there is not enough left to fully integrate it in regular gameplay. What really bothers me about this pack is all the deliberate restrictions. They actively prevented integration with the rest of the game which is really sad.

The main focus however should be on sandbox gameplay. Story driven packs should only be done occasionally.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    I wouldn't mind another story-driven pack as long as it takes a bit longer to complete than Strangerville. I completed that story in less than three real life hours, and I've never played it again. I would have to have different variations instead of just one story to explore though. I really like the idea of a murder mystery or some other mystery. Maybe that would broaden the detective career that came with Get to Work.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I absolutely hate the story driven stuff they put out because it has zero reason to replay it. Even the story driven careers have zero replay value. I'd rather they give us sandbox content.

Now as far as the murder mystery stuff, I'd love it if they have us a tool to create something like a murder mystery party that is story driven, but that has different outcomes and can be played very well by people who love to LARP (live action role play) or very poorly by serious sims who don't like to use their imaginations. And the outcome will still be somewhat predictable over time, but since it's just a type of party, you get to see different sims in different roles and how they act them out.

I'd be ecstatic if they introduced scenarios that could happen to your town - natural disaster, disease, chemical spills, super discount shopping day - and the scenario has different outcomes based on decisions your whole town makes. Maybe have a "mayor" sim who makes suggestions and you get to vote on what you think should happen and maybe have 3-4 different outcomes per suggestion. That way you can get a lot of deviation as you play through.
  • UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    As long as there’s a toggle like Strangerville I don’t care. I’d be more concerned with CAS and build/buy as I am with most packs. Story driven packs make someone happy. We all deserve things that make us happy in a game that we’re spending money on. There’s no one way nor right or wrong way to sim. Don’t want the pack, don’t buy it.

My vote would be for a murder mystery. Or an obstacle game show type pack like Wipe Out but more focused on equipment and actual gameplay than 1,000 new workout clothing options or 50 hairs. Rings of fire, tightrope walking over a pit of pudding or something, a maze, etc. A few CAS pieces but not 50% of the pack. But as long as I like the CAS and build/buy items I’ll but it.
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 271 Member
    I'm not really a fan of story gameplay packs, I prefer for my Sims to face everyday life problems with some supernatural on the side. I personally wouldn't have any interest of replaying a story over and over again with different Sims.

But for those who would like them, why not? Give them the packs to buy. I'd just hope that those packs contains a good story and world to play it in, and hopefully not exclusive clothes, occults, careers and hairstyles. Those I'd prefer to be kept in stuff packs and expansion packs.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Like Strangeville you say? i might skip it then. I love games with rich stories, even though i dont replay those kinds of games after i beat them, but i personally dont care for such a thing in sims 4 at all. I would welcome it as a spinoff though.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    No thank you. The appeal of The Sims is replayability. I feel every Sim’s life should offer some sort of unique gameplay I can’t get out of another Sim’s life. Anything that keeps me playing and finding new things to do is a plus, and a linear, hand-held story that is a done-once-and-done deal is not appealing in the slightest.
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    edited April 2021
    To be fair, you aboslutely can go back and redo the story of Strangerville. I'm planning on doing it because uh, someone left unfinished ties when they died and left lose ends. (meaning a certian thing was brought back to life...) So things will reset in terms of strangeness. And I'm kinda looking forward to redoing it again as not my sim self and just another family around the city that was living their normal life...until strange things happened...again.

I was even interested in Journey to Batuu but uhhhhhhhhhhhh then I saw what it was and no thanks.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I think it'd be fun. The "expected" pack themes for this year (generations and farming) don't interest me in the slightest so I'd be up for anything that's unexpected/interesting. I just hope they'll announce something soon to look forward to as I've lost interest in the game atm
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    i haven't brought strangerville yet but, after playing The Sim Stories with Alexa, i was like wow! That's strangerville?!!?!? sounds alot like strangetown. So i may be interested in the pack. i think story progression would be amazing. A suggestion would be to integrate it with the whole game. for instance let someone in Oasis Springs have the military carreer, or even have them hear about strangerville (or said town and go there to travel- where in this case it sounds like they could get infected. )
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • SimskristaSimskrista Posts: 175 Member
    I would be happy with any new pack at this point
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    I got strangerville last year and I wasn’t really a fan. I really really like how wacky the Sims behave when they’re possessed. Didn’t care for the story it wasn’t interesting enough, nor was the associated gameplay, for me to finish it.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    That's not really my cup of tea.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Not unless we could get in and customize. Stranagerville is a one and done set in what may be the most pathetic excuse of a 'world' in the game. For a company set in the land of Movieville, EA sure lacks when it comes to creative imagination. I'm afraid any more story led packs would be just as lame as that one.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    It depends how well it's done. Strangerville is my favorite game pack, but Journey to Batuu is one of my least favorite. I would love another pack as enjoyable as Strangerville.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    More story driven packs, absolutely! But...

As a player I don’t want everything handed to me. Sims 4 is a little too good at that. Where’s the true challenge?
    I like Jungle Adventures, Strangerville and JtB for different reasons, but there’s one thing they all seem to have in common: too often they take the “tell don’t show” approach. I much prefer it the other way around.

What I do like about Strangerville and Journey to Batuu is the way the active sim has to perform actions in order to change the world around them. JtB even gives the player 3 different objectives to choose from and the world and sim will change according to whatever objective you pick. This works similar in Island Living and Eco Lifestyle: It’s up to the player to decide in what state the world will be.
    The fact that we can see that change happen through different stages is great and in my opinion Sims 4 does that better than any of the previous titles.

Here’s the big BUT: the actual journey to get to that specific state is not always interesting in TS4.
    It gets tedious because for the sim to get to the next stage they usually need to perform similar actions about 3 to 5 times just to “collect” evidence or parts of an object and so on. Chance cards are OK but unfortunately they also contain the most interesting parts of the story. The reason that’s unfortunate is because I can’t play out those narratives with my sim during that specific story adventure. It’s the “tell don’t show” part that’s being used too extensively.

TS3 World Adventures on the other hand makes this journey more interesting. As a player I’m encouraged to use whatever that weird thing’s called right underneath my skull. I love Sims 4 but the game made me forget what it’s called. I know it’s got a name...

In WA I have to solve puzzles that are pretty hard. I need to change the environment along the way by pushing statues, try to find keys etc. just to get to the next portal. Not even to the end. That’s a long way off.

If Sims 4 could combine these elements and offer a greater variation in challenges and obstacles I would love to see more Story Driven packs.
    I’d say EA/ Maxis at this point try go for the RPG Sim all the way or don’t do it at all. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    The story driven packs we currently have don't offer any replayability so it's no surprise they're some of the most divisive and controversial packs. If EA was to introduce more such packs, they should include more story paths for the player to choose from, and more outcomes to get. Otherwise it will be like Strangerville; once it's done, there's no need to do it again 'cause it's always the same.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I'd just not buy them...especially after Strangerville.

Also, I feel as though I have to state that I love story based single player games...just not in the sims. The sims is a game that I enjoy due to it's openness as a lifesim and sandbox gameplay.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    I d definitely buy it.