Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would you feel if we had more story driven packs?

NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
After we have all the important packs like Generation's, farming etc, how would you feel about other packs like strangerville? And what story driven pack would you like ?

Edit: I'm thinking of a pack like cluedo, murder mystery
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    Hmm I guess I wouldn’t mind if they came out with story driven packs. Some people might enjoy them.
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    edited March 2021
    As long as replayability is unharmed. Strangerville is a decent example, but of course, they should do better.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited March 2021
    That's a strong leading proposition; 'all the important packs like generations, farming etc'.., I like it! Although, I think the game already have generational features in Parenthood, but I wouldn't say no to lovely farming items and gameplay.

I haven't played Strangerville yet, guess that says a lot, but I think it is a cute idea, and I really like the world and the Build items, and the debug flowers, and the possibility to build a psychiatric institution having lots of motherhood spawns on the grounds..

I think I mostly look forward to more Build/Buy items, and Build mode features, and would wish for more bug-fixing and transparancy, and a better Help Forum, and a nicer community, and also peace on earth. I probably would buy a fixed narrative pack anyway, especially if it is moderately contained to one world, like in Strangerville.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Depending on the theme, i problably wouldn't mind as long as it integrates with the rest of the game. For me integration is the key.
    That's the big difference between JtB and Strangerville and the reason i bought the later but not the other...
    Strangerville has a story going on in it's world, a story that you can choose to pursue or not. But you can still play a regular life in it's world, you can have a militar sim in other world because the career isn't related to the story, you can use some "story stuff" outside of the story, like the listening/blackmail machine, you have the paranoid trait that always reminds me of building a basement in my houses...
    While in JtB it seems that we can't live in the world, stuff that works there doesn't work in the other worlds, even the inventory is different...

But i will always prefer open gameplay and i don't want to encourage them to do more story driven packs. They're always more limited than sandbox...
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Yes I thought I'd throw that in there 🤣
    That's a strong leading proposition; 'all the important packs like generations, farming etc'.., I like it! Although, I think the game already have generational features in Parenthood, but I wouldn't say no to lovely farming items and gameplay.

I haven't played Strangerville yet, guess that says a lot, but I think it is a cute idea, and I really like the world and the Build items, and the debug flowers, and the possibility to build a psychiatric institution having lots of motherhood spawns on the grounds..

I think I mostly look forward to more Build/Buy items, and Build mode features, and would wish for more bug-fixing and transparancy, and a better Help Forum, and a nicer community, and also peace on earth. I probably would buy a fixed narrative pack anyway, especially if it is moderately contained to one world, like in Strangerville.

Yes thought I should throw that in there 😆, I bet the simmers to it lol I thought they could be good for gamepacks @Auroraskies
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    It's a good strategy!
    texxx78 wrote: »
    Depending on the theme, i problably wouldn't mind as long as it integrates with the rest of the game. For me integration is the key.
    That's the big difference between JtB and Strangerville and the reason i bought the later but not the other...
    Strangerville has a story going on in it's world, a story that you can choose to pursue or not. But you can still play a regular life in it's world, you can have a militar sim in other world because the career isn't related to the story, you can use some "story stuff" outside of the story, like the listening/blackmail machine, you have the paranoid trait that always reminds me of building a basement in my houses...
    While in JtB it seems that we can't live in the world, stuff that works there doesn't work in the other worlds, even the inventory is different...

But i will always prefer open gameplay and i don't want to encourage them to do more story driven packs. They're always more limited than sandbox...

Yes I definitely think it should work like strangerville, that you can choose to pursue if you like and play in the worlds as normal @texxx78
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It depends a lot on the specifics. I am not sure how replayable it might be or how restrictive, but if it is replayable then there is theoretically not much to criticize in just being a story driven pack. To be fair, I like Strangerville. Most specifically the world of Strangerville. The packs can be worth more than just their stories, and Strangerville is a good example of that to me.

I absolutely played through the story once, but the world and traits were the solid additions for me. (It is a little weird that military is work from home in my opinion, but I digress.) I play with that a lot more than the story mechanics, but the latter is always there if I want them.

Something similar I would appreciate. My main concern with a murder mystery is it may be too closed off in the more traditional Cluedo set up. However, exploring a haunted house/odd town and putting the pieces together to solve the mystery seems open ended enough to either engage with or ignore as you please.
    Calico45 wrote: »
    It depends a lot on the specifics. I am not sure how replayable it might be or how restrictive, but if it is replayable then there is theoretically not much to criticize in just being a story driven pack. To be fair, I like Strangerville. Most specifically the world of Strangerville. The packs can be worth more than just their stories, and Strangerville is a good example of that to me.

I absolutely played through the story once, but the world and traits were the solid additions for me. (It is a little weird that military is work from home in my opinion, but I digress.) I play with that a lot more than the story mechanics, but the latter is always there if I want them.

Something similar I would appreciate. My main concern with a murder mystery is it may be too closed off in the more traditional Cluedo set up. However, exploring a haunted house/odd town and putting the pieces together to solve the mystery seems open ended enough to either engage with or ignore as you please.

They would have to definitely be careful how they would fit a murder mystery in being pgi 12 it can't be violent, there is death in the sims, it would be cool trying to figure out who the killer is lol @Calico45
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited March 2021
    I would be interested if they could make a story driven pack that features replayability and different outcomes and goals depending on the sims that you are playing with, maybe it could even use sims that you have placed in your world as NPC sims.

So for example in a murder mystery the murderer could be different every time you play and different sims could have it easier finding out who it is depending on their trait and skills.

There could be a lot type called mystery mansion where they could have a premade family and you can visit them if you want to start a murder mystery, but you could replace them if you wanted to so you could create your own mansion with your own sims.
    logion wrote: »
    I would be interested if they could make a story driven pack that features replayability and different outcomes and goals depending on the sims that you are playing with, maybe even depending on the sims that you have in your world.

So for example in a murder mystery the murderer could be different every time you play and different sims could have it easier finding out who it is depending on their trait and skills.

I love this idea @logion
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Nikkih wrote: »

They would have to definitely be careful how they would fit a murder mystery in being pgi 12 it can't be violent, there is death in the sims, it would be cool trying to figure out who the killer is lol @Calico45

I do not think they will, but they could afford to push the envelope a bit. They do have a teen rating for a reason and I am of the opinion that 4 is pretty tame for T for teen. A number of fighting games have a teen rating. Things like Little Nightmares and Five Nights at Freddy's that are intentionally dark can and do have a teen rating. They are allowed some blood and violence.

Directly from the ERSB, a teen rating: "Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language."

In all likelihood, it would be a rehash of the GTW detective evidence, but they could do more.
    Nikkih wrote: »

I do not think they will, but they could afford to push the envelope a bit. They do have a teen rating for a reason and I am of the opinion that 4 is pretty tame for T for teen. A number of fighting games have a teen rating. Things like Little Nightmares and Five Nights at Freddy's that are intentionally dark can and do have a teen rating. They are allowed some blood and violence.

Directly from the ERSB, a teen rating: "Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language."

In all likelihood, it would be a rehash of the GTW detective evidence, but they could do more.

I got to admit I don't understand this for the sims 4, I do love the game however I wish they pushed some boundaries a bit @Calico45
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'd like it ... but only if it continued to add in careers and skills or gameplay objects that could go along with that story but also be just played with the game in general (like the military career/bugs/paranoid trait ect that came with Strangerville). I really don't mind replaying storylines especially if I give them a chance to sit for awhile.
    egTcBMc.png
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    If it included a good-sized world with a decent amount of different sized (and usable) lots, along with some nice BB and CAS stuff, I probably wouldn't care so much whether or not the story sucked. I played Strangerville's story twice and while it didn't exactly suck, I have zero interest in doing it ever again. However, I do use the world for extra places to live.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    They're not a priority for me, but I'm not against them. If the game continues for long then I would like to see some.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It would depend on the gameplay and whether or not it could be turned off. I didn’t find the endless travelling back and forth, click here three to four times gameplay all that fun if I’m being honest. It was fine the first time but after that I have never wanted to repeat it.

I also don’t really like that every new save starts with the mystery unsolved and there is no way to instantly skip it if I choose.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited March 2021
    I must admit I personally have zero interest in story driven packs, not even after all the important packs will have been released.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    It’s not so much that I would mind story driven packs, but there are many things I want more... Farming, generations, romance, cars, real babies, amusement parks, zoo’s, carnivals, active school, maybe a mall oack.
  • CausingNickel0CausingNickel0 Posts: 20 Member
    I support this idea. The gameplay in the game is very poor in comparison to The Sims 3. Such packs would make the game more alive. Currently The Sims 4 is more building/designing simulator.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    I don't like stories, but as long as participation isn't mandatory, I wouldn't care
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Strangerville type packs are fine, but they need an on/off switch. Not everyone wants to play the story every time they start a save, or not play it right away, but may still want their sims to live there. It is one of the cooler looking towns, after all. I use the story toggle mod, but sometimes still get infected sims wandering around.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 339 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I'd like it ... but only if it continued to add in careers and skills or gameplay objects that could go along with that story but also be just played with the game in general (like the military career/bugs/paranoid trait ect that came with Strangerville). I really don't mind replaying storylines especially if I give them a chance to sit for awhile.
    I agree with this. For me, another story driven pack similar to Strangerville, where you can play the story or just play the game normally = :)
    But, if it is more like Journey to Batuu with its restrictive gameplay then = :#
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'd just not buy them...especially after Strangerville.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    No thanks. If I wanted to play a story game with quests, i'd much rather play MMO's.