Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Decades Challenge

Comments

• Chris_McSimsChris_McSims Posts: 120 Member
    > @zenonXlore said:
    > if anyone wants to make their story line a little bit more interesting divorce was legalized in the 1970s.
    In Italy in 1970, but in other countries it was legalized way before
  • MrsD0707MrsD0707 Posts: 16 Member
    I love this challenge so much!
  • LybLyb Posts: 6 New Member
    I feel like this challenge will be so fun !
  • CuteCoffeeGalCuteCoffeeGal Posts: 256 Member
    Hi everyone! Quick update - I had planned to update the rules for Paranormal, but instead we have found that Google has blocked access to the Decades Challenge Rules due to a violation of terms. I have no idea what the violation is. I've submitted an appeal to Google to at least see if they can let me download the file to try and identify the issue, but Google Support just told me that there is no support for Google Docs, and that they can't tell me how long it will take for my appeal to be reviewed.

I'm so sick about this, and I have no idea when it will be resolved. I can try to go back through all my past videos and see if I can pause and reconstruct the rules, but it's a very long document, and there's no way I can reconstruct the whole thing in just a couple of days. I am so sorry everyone, I have no idea what the problem is and I hate that the rules are gone!
    #EAGameChanger on YouTube: Let's Plays, CAS, Speed Builds - I'm currently playing the Decades Challenge! https://www.youtube.com/c/CuteCoffeeGal
    Gallery ID: CuteCoffeeGal
    Twitter: @CuriousLindsey
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited January 2021
    Hi everyone! Quick update - I had planned to update the rules for Paranormal, but instead we have found that Google has blocked access to the Decades Challenge Rules due to a violation of terms. I have no idea what the violation is. I've submitted an appeal to Google to at least see if they can let me download the file to try and identify the issue, but Google Support just told me that there is no support for Google Docs, and that they can't tell me how long it will take for my appeal to be reviewed.

I'm so sick about this, and I have no idea when it will be resolved. I can try to go back through all my past videos and see if I can pause and reconstruct the rules, but it's a very long document, and there's no way I can reconstruct the whole thing in just a couple of days. I am so sorry everyone, I have no idea what the problem is and I hate that the rules are gone!

Maybe someone has downloaded or copied it from your site?

Eta i haven't, i'm sorry. I've just started doing challenges for about a week...
    A Simmer on Twitter had downloaded a copy from August 2019, so that at least gives me a great starting point! If anyone downloaded a more recent version and would be willing to share it with me, please let me know! This is how I'm going to be spending my weekend . . .
    #EAGameChanger on YouTube: Let's Plays, CAS, Speed Builds - I'm currently playing the Decades Challenge! https://www.youtube.com/c/CuteCoffeeGal
    Thanks to our AMAZING Decades Challenge community, the full rules have been saved! I've moved them to my website so we don't have to worry about Google taking them down again.

The Decades Challenge rules have been updated for Paranormal Stuff! Let me know if you see something that I've missed. You can find the updated rules at https://cutecoffeegal.com/decadeschallengerules #EAGameChanger

CuteCoffeeGal-Paranormal.png
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    @CuteCoffeeGal /cheer and thank you :)

I don't understand why google had deleted it. Such a lucky day, that you could have restored the dokument.
    Daravi wrote: »
    @CuteCoffeeGal /cheer and thank you :)

I don't understand why google had deleted it. Such a lucky day, that you could have restored the dokument.

Me neither! They still haven't responded to the appeal I sent in - I'm very curious to see what their reasoning was!
  • seabenseaben Posts: 631 Member
    OK I defiantly want to try this one quick question do you start out with no money? or is it a water floats your boat deal?
    my sims 3 shell challenges https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/974534/the-sims-3-shell-challenge-corner-challenge-4-due-july-31th/p1 or check out my sims blog https://seabensims.wordpress.com/ my Wishlist is seaben06 on the sims 3 store and my oid is also seaben06
  • ThraWalkerThraWalker Posts: 1 New Member
    If you would like to continue the challenge into 2020 I've come up with some rules.
    2020: Roll a die for each sim that has a job.
    Sims with odd numbers keep their job and even numbers loose their job. Anytime a sim gets home from work you must roll a die, even number: they're clean, odd number: the sim has been exposed to Covid and must feed the cow plant. Any Sims that have interacted with the exposed sim after getting home from work must also feed the cow plant. Children and teenagers are not allowed to go to school but must still complete homework. Any time a friend asks to come over you must say no. Sims may only leave the house to go to work. 2 days after the youngest childs birthday you can start receiving vaccines. Elderly sims receive vaccines first then essential workers then everyone else. When it is a sims turn for a vaccine roll the die odd numbers get a vaccine, even numbers wait a day and roll again. Once all sims have received their vaccines things can start going back to normal.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    ThraWalker wrote: »
    If you would like to continue the challenge into 2020 I've come up with some rules.
    2020: Roll a die for each sim that has a job.
    Sims with odd numbers keep their job and even numbers loose their job. Anytime a sim gets home from work you must roll a die, even number: they're clean, odd number: the sim has been exposed to Covid and must feed the cow plant. Any Sims that have interacted with the exposed sim after getting home from work must also feed the cow plant. Children and teenagers are not allowed to go to school but must still complete homework. Any time a friend asks to come over you must say no. Sims may only leave the house to go to work. 2 days after the youngest childs birthday you can start receiving vaccines. Elderly sims receive vaccines first then essential workers then everyone else. When it is a sims turn for a vaccine roll the die odd numbers get a vaccine, even numbers wait a day and roll again. Once all sims have received their vaccines things can start going back to normal.

This is great for the decades challenge. As horrible it can look to us now, because we're living it...
  • thesims4piethesims4pie Posts: 29 Member
    are we allowed to use wicker furnishings the internet says it was the earliest form of maker furnishings
  • dmama1314dmama1314 Posts: 262 Member
    Sorry if this has been asked. Can my male heir move out when he hits YA or does the whole family have to stay in one house (minus the earlier daughters who can move out after married)
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    What decade would work best to use the Paranormal Investigator Career? And which gender can?
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited March 2021
    I know that the theory was that in the 1920s that people shouldn't drink. But technically we all know they technically did that anyway so maybe that rule for 1920s should change? Also just because print media is dying out doesn't mean journalism is dying out. So technically there are still journalists in the world (and also newspaper can be found both in print and online) so I think journalism should be able to be a job even in the 2010s.

there's one other thing I wanted to say but I forgot it. Now I remember.. what if in someone's storytelling that they wanted their 19th or early 20th cenutry daughter to be "ahead of their time" and become a doctor/lawyer (I mean they would have to leave it when they got married)?

Also about the bonus round what if someone wants to have their sims in their story be "fools" that don't obey rules?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • OhHeyLuckyOhHeyLucky Posts: 1,338 Member
    Despite my finishing my Decades Challenge back in....2018 I think? I'd love to start another one and am seriously considering it. There have been so many packs added since then!
  • DeadDemonOriginDeadDemonOrigin Posts: 1 New Member
    The first decade is in the victorian era in Britian and at the time they had large brick houses so Imma adapt it to fit with that. But a great challege and cant wait to play!!!!! 😁😁😁
    Hey everyone! Work has been crazy lately, sorry I've been MIA. Planning to update the rules for the new kits very soon!
    seaben wrote: »
    OK I defiantly want to try this one quick question do you start out with no money? or is it a water floats your boat deal?

I think this is one where you need to pick your backstory - is the family well off, or are they starting off struggling? The challenge can work for either.
    are we allowed to use wicker furnishings the internet says it was the earliest form of maker furnishings

Yes, I think that makes a lot of sense! I'd say those are allowed from the beginning.
    dmama1314 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked. Can my male heir move out when he hits YA or does the whole family have to stay in one house (minus the earlier daughters who can move out after married)

He can move out, but keep in mind that he might die in war and then he's not your heir anymore, so then you'll need to go back to the family to play with the new heir.
    Rosysimmer wrote: »
    What decade would work best to use the Paranormal Investigator Career? And which gender can?

From the rules: "Paranormal investigation was popularized in the 2000s, but has been around since before the Decades Challenge begins; seances have been around even longer. You are welcome to use Paranormal Stuff in your gameplay from a historical perspective – just keep in mind that the specters and creepy objects may reduce the realistic nature of this challenge." Either gender!
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I know that the theory was that in the 1920s that people shouldn't drink. But technically we all know they technically did that anyway so maybe that rule for 1920s should change? Also just because print media is dying out doesn't mean journalism is dying out. So technically there are still journalists in the world (and also newspaper can be found both in print and online) so I think journalism should be able to be a job even in the 2010s.

there's one other thing I wanted to say but I forgot it. Now I remember.. what if in someone's storytelling that they wanted their 19th or early 20th cenutry daughter to be "ahead of their time" and become a doctor/lawyer (I mean they would have to leave it when they got married)?

Also about the bonus round what if someone wants to have their sims in their story be "fools" that don't obey rules?
    • Drinking: If your Sims want to break the rules (just like they would break the law) then go for it - that's a gameplay decision!
    • Journalism: I think I mentioned in another post that this was more a commentary on how the news has become so biased that it's now more entertainment than news. Feel free to use this as a career!
    • "Ahead of their Time": You can absolutely adjust your gameplay like this! If you watch my Decades Challenge on YouTube, I actually have a lesbian couple in the 1920s that have to keep their relationship a secret from most people (they're "roommates") - technically against the rules, but very much real from a historical perspective!
    • Bonus Round: That actually sounds like that would be a really fun story - go for it!
  • Lilygh08Lilygh08 Posts: 3 New Member
    I am trying this challenge now but I'm a bit confused, Are we allowed to play with male heirs before the women's rights?
  • Chris_McSimsChris_McSims Posts: 120 Member
    Lilygh08 wrote: »
    I am trying this challenge now but I'm a bit confused, Are we allowed to play with male heirs before the women's rights?

Yes, it just means that also women can be heirs
  • eksynneksynn Posts: 26 Member
    this challenge sounds really cool - definitely trying this out

for anyone who's lost, the most updated version kept by CuteCoffeeGal can be found in this comment.

I'm also adding this to the bonus round, based heavily on ThraWalker
    (I actually just corrected a few grammatical mistakes. probably didn't get all of them. I also added and modified a couple of rules here and there.)

2020:
    - Roll a die for each sim that has a job; sims with even numbers keep their job and odd numbers lose their job.
    - Sims may only leave the house to go to work.
    - Anytime a sim gets home from work, you must roll a die; even number: they're fine, odd number: the sim just lost their job (you must not go to work until you're fired). Once that's done, roll again: even: they're clean, odd, the sim has been exposed to Covid and must feed the cow plant.
    - Any Sims that have interacted with the exposed sim after getting home from work must also roll twice: odd: they are now infected, and odd again: they must feed the cow plant.
    - Children and teenagers are not allowed to go to school but must still complete homework. (Homeschooling is greatly encouraged - there's a mod for that. Check CCG's website, above)
    - Any time anyone asks to come over, or for your sim to go over, you must say no.
    - After a year of the infection, there is now hope for vaccines (buy medicine over the computer and have the sim drink it). Roll the die once each day: if you get 5, 5 times in total, Elders can start receiving vaccines. Each day after that, roll another 1 or 5 for essential workers, then the next time for the next age group to get vaccinated, until teenagers. Then, teens, children, and toddlers can get the vaccines all at once.
    • (Original: "2 days after the youngest child's birthday, you can start receiving vaccines. Elderly sims receive vaccines first, then essential workers, then everyone else." Changed this in case there are no children in the household, or just in general for more of a randomised challenge.)
    - When it is a sim's turn for a vaccine, roll the die: even numbers get a vaccine, odd numbers roll again the next day.
    - Sims must wait two weeks until the next dosage. Once all sims have received their vaccines twice, things can start going back to normal.
    - Bonus non-points for decorating the house with piles of toilet paper and old newspapers.

any ideas or suggestions for 2030s and beyond?
  • eksynneksynn Posts: 26 Member
    edited April 2021
    i'm curious, how do the decades advance?
  • JenokaJenoka Posts: 1 New Member
    I've never tried a challenge before but am enthusiastic to try this one and have some ideas for the earlier generations.

I'll probably add more death as many women died in childbirth and many children died before antobiotics were created. Plus workplace accidents, animal attacks, etc.

I may use MCCC to randomly assign illness/extra death instead of using a cowplant. Maybe add a roll for whether someone gets sick and roll again if they get medicine (still preabtibiotics) or a home remedy (alcohol/herbs) instead. And what decade did carrying around/drinking radioactive materials become a fad? heh

Also LOTS of laundry. (Once saw a documentary that the invention that impacted women the most was the clothes washer). And lots of walking back and forth to a fake well to simulate getting water.

And a club for knitting circles. And maybe I'll create a one room school house that a woman can teach at until she gets married. Kids only attend until age 13 and only when they aren't needed on the farm.

Pets will be allowed but only outside or in barns (e.g., will change door locked settings to not allow animals inside).
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    eksynn wrote: »
    i'm curious, how do the decades advance?

I've not played this challenge yet, but I have watched a couple of play throughs. It was done differently each time.

The first one simply had one generation per decade. So the decade didn't advance until the heir was a young adult.

The second one advanced the decades every 20 Sim days which is more realistic, but also harder to keep track.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top