Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need help. Where is the family relation here, and why is the game adding it?

4iiUbfd.png

This is the family going on in my current save.

The game keeps thinking Walter and Hope are related, but it won't say how. There's no relationship bit in their panel. My intention was for the two to get together, and I did add a romance bar manually hoping they could do romantic interactions, but it didn't work.

After more testing using another mod, it confirmed that the game does indeed think they are related.

So, I drew the family tree above in Canva so I could see a visual. Can any of you see the family relation between Walter and Hope? They share no ancestry, so there isn't supposed to be a family link.

Why is the game adding one, especially a relationship bit I can't even see?
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.

Comments

• foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    hi this is a tricky one, Walter and Hope are not related, but maybe the game recognises that Ted is Summer's father, and if he had married Crystal he would in effect be Hopes uncle. As Ted is Summer's father and Walter's father and Hope is a cousin of one of his children - maybe the game is treating Walter like a cousin too? Very confusing!! Hope you can sort it out
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I think 🤔 it’s linking them as cousins who are romantically involved because Summer and Hope are cousins and Summer and Walter are half siblings so it’s counting Walter as Hope’s cousin as well.
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    Thanks to you two for your suggestions and feedback. I had a friend test the same family links I did with a mod-free game and she could not replicate the problem.

After some digging and using another mod for extra verifications, I found out that one of my mods is incorrectly adding Ted as Crystal and Joey's brother for who knows what reason. The link happens when I add Summer as Ted's daughter.

While the game won't add the relationship bit in live mode, I can see it in CAS - naturally, because of the erroneous sibling link between Joey and Ted, the game thinks Walt and Hope are cousins. Gross.

Anyway, I fixed it by deleting everyone's relationship and re-adding them, but because Ted is a ghost now and no longer really relevant to my story, I didn't re-add Summer as his daughter. Naturally, Walt and Hope are not linked, as it should be.

To clarify, I looked up "What is my cousin's half-sibling to me?" as if I was asking as Hope, and this was the answer given that clears everything up and why I was so confused as to why the game kept thinking otherwise:
    Your cousin’s half-brother shares only one parent with your cousin. So, the answer to your question depends on whether that shared parent is a sibling of one of your parents. If so, then your cousin’s half-brother is also your cousin.

On the other hand, if the parent that is shared by your cousin and your cousin’s half-brother is not a sibling of one of your parents, then you are not related.

The parent shared by Summer and Walter, Ted, is NOT a sibling of Joey or Justice. So no, they are not related. Wish I knew which mod is adding that link - I suspect MCCC.

Anyway, thanks, guys.

• Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    All I can tell you is that the 3rd Generation is the last blood line before ancestry/familial relations "starts over".
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    There is a glitch where the game often mistakes teens that live in the same house as siblings. It doesn’t show in the family tree, but if you look at the Sims profiles it shows a relationship like “super siblings”. Did your Sims Joey & Ted live in the same house as teens at any point?
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    There is a glitch where the game often mistakes teens that live in the same house as siblings. It doesn’t show in the family tree, but if you look at the Sims profiles it shows a relationship like “super siblings”. Did your Sims Joey & Ted live in the same house as teens at any point?

if you looked closer at that relationship tooltip, it says:

"From: A great relationship with ally sibling; blood or not."

The last bit is an important distinction that sort of shoots the idea down of a glitch. are you sure there is a glitch in this?
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »

if you looked closer at that relationship tooltip, it says:

"From: A great relationship with ally sibling; blood or not."

The last bit is an important distinction that sort of shoots the idea down of a glitch. are you sure there is a glitch in this?
    I’m not 100% sure I guess.. it happened to me with a teen couple that I had “run away” to the city. They were in a romantic relationship, and I didn’t get that sibling status until they both aged to YA in the same household. It was either here or AHQ that someone told me it was a bug back then.
  • PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    I have something odd in my game too, I made a family in cas that had a teen generated from the parents dna, then a randomly generated teen that has no relation to the family at all, just lives with them. Literally his family tree shows just himself. Yet in the sim profile it says he and the family teen are super siblings. Gross because they are the founders of my genetics challenge!
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member

Nope - I left the premade Ted Roswell as an adult and he doesn't know Joey at all.

And yeah, the super siblings thing is really weird. I also have two teens who are romantically involved and lived together briefly, then aged to YA and they have the super siblings thing. They're married now. I just ignore that relbit.

• myobunnimyobunni Posts: 3 New Member
    I has this glitch w/ my legacy founders because they were living together as teens- I just think the software mistakes teens in the same household as siblings.
  • myobunnimyobunni Posts: 3 New Member
    -By this I mean they counted as relatives because one of the founders grandma was romantically involved with the other ones grandma and then broke up, they didn't have kids or anything but the grandma is dead now so I just removed the link manually