Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Traits Deciding Sims' Hangouts

What I've been thinking about lately is that when we create a Sim's traits, what if that dictated where you could normally find them in the world? Last night I created a new Sim (Heather Kingsley) whom I thought would get along well with an existing Sim (Jane Fulton) but where would Jane find her?

So for example, if you created a teen Sim who is a bookworm and prefers their own company, you could find them at a library reading books or doing homework. An active Sim could normally be found at the gym.
2quwd7.gif

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Traits already dictate too much, making sims too one-dimensional. My vegetarian/health nut sim on his own would not visit my fast food restaurant on his own, but he might when he tags along with his elderly father and step-mother or with his wife and daughter.

Therefore I'd make an exception for sims who arrive in groups with other sims, as long as one of their friends has a matching trait. Part of the fun would be see my heallth nut squirm at not being where wants to be. Or my active sims should get bored in a library. I wrote so in other threads before: sims need more situational awareness.
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Traits already dictate too much, making sims too one-dimensional. My vegetarian/health nut sim on his own would not visit my fast food restaurant on his own, but he might when he tags along with his elderly father and step-mother or with his wife and daughter.

Therefore I'd make an exception for sims who arrive in groups with other sims, as long as one of their friends has a matching trait. Part of the fun would be see my heallth nut squirm at not being where wants to be. Or my active sims should get bored in a library. I wrote so in other threads before: sims need more situational awareness.

I mean, I think that's pretty realistic to be honest. A health nut not wanting to eat at a fast food restaurant unless he's sort of "dragged" along by other family members.

I get what you're saying as far as having him be uncomfortable at a fast food restaurant though, and I agree that should definitely be the the case. Same with the active Sim being bored in a library. But as far as them not visiting those lots on their own: that makes sense.

To put it into a real life perspective. I'm a shy and socially awkward introvert (yes, all three of those) so I would not under any circumstances choose to go to a club on my own. Dancing, loud music and tons of people just isn't my scene. However, if it was a friend's birthday or something and they really wanted me to go, I might just do so but I would defintely hate every minute of it, and I'd probably be sitting down the whole time.

This is the way it should be on Sims too. Not choosing to autonomously visit those places on their own if they have certain traits. But defintely having more situational awareness if indeed they are dragged along by friends or family.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm not sure how the game does it normally but the impression I get is that the game spawns either a bunch of sims that the game has decided that they will visit a lot often (like a gym), or it spawns sims based on your sims relationships.

So adding another chance that it could spawn sims based more on traits could be interesting. I think it kinda does it already though? When I clicked new game, and visited a gym I always ended up finding Dina Caliente there who has the active trait.

I guess there could also be a potential issue because the game often generates new sims and is pretty bad at reusing existing sims, so if we would have a game mechanic like that the game could end up creating a lot of new sims who has the trait for the lot you are visiting.